• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

They don't even mention the WHC match?

It's ridiculous that both their World title matches are marginalised in favour of two non-title matches.

How many times has this happened in the past?

I mean, I can't remember both the titles being once-overred in the same Wrasslemania. I mean, I know they always hype up Undertaker's matches, but that's it. They usually have huge non-title matches, but the title matches always used to be the main event, meat and potatoes, pull out all the stops, biggest match(es) of the show.

How many times has this happened in the past?

I mean, I can't remember both the titles being once-overred in the same Wrasslemania. I mean, I know they always hype up Undertaker's matches, but that's it. They usually have huge non-title matches, but the title matches always used to be the main event, meat and potatoes, pull out all the stops, biggest match(es) of the show.

WM 26 finished off with Undertaker/Michaels, but it was Shawn's last match ever. They put the two world titles on right before it (with the obligatory diva's piss break in between). I think besides that one of the world titles is always in the ME position.

The last couple of years they've been putting main event level matches in the opening spot. It's the same logic as putting a great cruiser or tag match to hype up the crowd, but it makes their titles look second rate as hell.

Izick

WM 26 finished off with Undertaker/Michaels, but it was Shawn's last match ever. They put the two world titles on right before it (with the obligatory diva's piss break in between). I think besides that one of the world titles is always in the ME position.

The last couple of years they've been putting main event level matches in the opening spot. It's the same logic as putting a great cruiser or tag match to hype up the crowd, but it makes their titles look second rate as hell.

I don't mind that, because as you said, it was Shawn's last match, and I think all the Undertaker matches have that special mystique, and I'm not even saying that the WWE Championship has to be the closer, but it just seems like they're not even giving a fuck about anything besides Cena/Rock.

Punk and Jericho look like they have to squeeze every ounce of heat out of the crowd they can with the limited amount of time they get on RAW, while Cena and Rock are getting whole, boring, bloated segments every week.

Im ok with Rock/Cena main eventing.

But at least open with the WHC title or Kane vs Ortan and pretend the WWE title means something.

Its a shame they canned MITB this year. it was always a perfect opener for mania.

atomsk

Party Pooper
this is fantastic

SZKwA.gif

ABANDON THREAD

xpepk4

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You know that won't happen though. Taker/HHH will be 45 minutes and Bryan/Sheamus will get 8 minutes
The problem with WM is that it's filled with BS segments, ads, and vignettes. It's like, we've already bought the damn show, why are you still trying to sell us on it?

trunbuns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtEJ_zBraF0

Just caught this match from last week's Superstars. Ziggler's selling of the Monkey Flip, Trouble in Paradise, and his head hitting the turnbuckle is great. Such a great match that will only be seen by several thousand people rather than several million.

Ziggles seems destined to be used as an enhancement talent for the big faces of the company for the next few years. I hope he eventually gets that Shawn Michaels megapush because he is too good to keep out of the main event.

Scottify

Pretty funny from Big Johnny:
I see @ZackRyder has posted a bonus episode of his YouTube show. I'd have time to watch it, but people actually show up to my appointments.

In case you weren't following, Eve no-showed her and Zack's dinner date. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

RBH

If I were in charge of the match order at Wrestlemania, I'm thinking that I'd go with this (off the top of my head):

*Randy Orton vs. Kane

*WWE Intercontinental champion Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show

*World champion Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus

*Team Laurinaitis vs. Team Teddy

*WWE champion CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho

*Triple H vs. Undertaker Hell in A Cell with Shawn Michaels as the special referee

*Divas match/segment

*The Rock vs. John Cena

XenoRaven

I wonder if Michael Cole really can't pronounce "Laurinitis" or if Vince is screaming in his ear to always say "Lairinitis" just to get on my nerves.

Ithil

In case you weren't following, Eve no-showed her and Zack's dinner date. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

Big Johnny has a smart sense of humour I'd never expected. It comes across most in his tweets, like when he's sitting at ringside during a match and tweeting at the same time.

Aiii

So not worth it

Johnny Ace is the instigator of change in the WWE! Screw Punk, after Wrestlemania he'll have rid us of Teddy Long and the silly brand extension in one quick swoop.

Now all he needs to do is remove PG so people can flip other people the bird again and blood can start flowing and we're almost back to the way things are supposed to be!

john_lauriniatis1.jpg

somedevil

You know that won't happen though. Taker/HHH will be 45 minutes and Bryan/Sheamus will get 8 minutes

Here is more about the card because I believe Bryan/Sheamus will get 15-20 minutes.

WrestleMania 28 may just end up being a 7 match card as officials want to leave enough time for the main events as well as backstage vignettes and promos for The Rock. Word is that The Rock will be given as much time as he wants for his promos and segments building to the main event.

Officials have announced few matches for the card with just two weeks to go because they wanted to make sure they have enough time cleared for the top matches. Triple H vs. Undertaker, CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho and The Rock vs. John Cena all have 25-30 minutes set aside.

There is talk that Hell in a Cell will be in the middle of the event with The Rock vs. John Cena going on last and possibly Punk vs. Jericho opening the show.

jmdajr

If I were in charge of the match order at Wrestlemania, I'm thinking that I'd go with this (off the top of my head):

*Randy Orton vs. Kane

*Triple H vs. Undertaker Hell in A Cell with Shawn Michaels as the special referee

*bathroom break

*The Rock vs. John Cena

not bad. Good Flow.

WWE title, the supposed most prestigious belt in the company, will open the show.

Kay.

Jim Ross mentioned why this is a good idea on his blog I think. It's going to be the best wrestling match on the card, and they need a good chunk of time to tell their story. If it's later in the night they will be the ones to have their match cut short if the show is running over, so if they are at the start they get all their alloted time for sure.

somedevil

Won't it be eight matches when they add [pointless diva match, likely to be Eve vs Beth, discarding every ounce of heat Beth has been able to build over the past year] to the card?

Yeah, they will have something like that with Maria Menounos but not sure if it will be a match. Here is my match order based on what pwinsider reports:

*Randy Orton vs. Kane

*Diva Match/Segment

*The Rock vs. John Cena

Striker

Jim Ross mentioned why this is a good idea on his blog I think. It's going to be the best wrestling match on the card, and they need a good chunk of time to tell their story. If it's later in the night they will be the ones to have their match cut short if the show is running over, so if they are at the start they get all their alloted time for sure.
I'm sure most of the matches will be good, Sheamus-Bryan will be nice too if given time. Why not start with Big Show and Cody, or Randy Orton and Kane? The WWE title should be thought as something bigger, not as a side piece. They did the same crap last year with Edge and Del Rio in their World Title bout.

Even so, the commentary, if JR does not call any, will most likely stink.

I'm sure most of the matches will be good, Sheamus-Bryan will be nice too if given time. Why not start with Big Show and Cody, or Randy Orton and Kane? The WWE title should be thought as something bigger, not as a side piece. They did the same crap last year with Edge and Del Rio in their World Title bout.

Even so, the commentary, if JR does not call any, will most likely stink.

Oh I agree, hell it should close the show really, and does show how little they seem to care about the belts right now. It's just a nice positive to know that they won't get fucked over for time after what is sure to be countless shitty Rock promos all night that run way too long.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How much better would last year have been if Punk had gone straight to feuding with Laurenitis after MITB instead of having HHH stick his big fake-ass Thor self into the middle of things?

If I'm booking this show, here's how it goes down.

All times include intros and pre-match bullshit.

1. Show/Rhodes - 11

2. Kane/Orton - 13

3. Sheamus/Bryan - 16

4. HHH/Taker - 45

5. Women's match - 8

6. Jericho/Punk - 25

7. Team Ace vs. Team Teddy - 12

8. Cena/Rock - 35

Total: 2 hours and 45 minutes of intros/match video packages/wrasslin.

HHH/Taker are untouchable and can afford to follow a title match.

Aiii

So not worth it
How much better would last year have been if Punk had gone straight to feuding with Laurenitis after MITB instead of having HHH stick his big fake-ass Thor self into the middle of things?

Tbh, he should've fueded with McMahon more.

Ithil

In an ideal world I would have these times for the matches.

*Randy Orton vs. Kane - 10 minutes (because whatever)

*WWE Intercontinental champion Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show - 8 minutes (that's being generous to how long Cody can carry Big Show to a watchable match)

*World champion Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus - 25 minutes (hell yeah)

*Team Laurinaitis vs. Team Teddy - 12 minutes (non-elimination so not that long)

*WWE champion CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho - 30 minutes (for obvious reasons)

*Triple H vs. Undertaker Hell in A Cell with Shawn Michaels as the special referee - 35 minutes (see above)

Divas bullshit - 5 minutes (lol)

*The Rock vs. John Cena - 30 minutes (main event)

That leaves 80 minutes of the broadcast. That's for skits, videos, entrances, the HOF showcase, the intro, and the video packages before the matches. If you can't fit all that (at least three of the main events will have video packages, Bryan/Sheamus may or may not) in 80 freaking minutes, you have a serious problem.

I am also wary of two back to back 30+ minute main events, but then again that order is just an idea, it's not the official order (which they always at least slightly screw up anyway).

I can dream anyway. All four competitors in the World title matches (the real attraction for me) thrive best in long, detailed matches where they can really tear the house down and pace themselves.

The HIAC match also should be long, as short HIAC matches just seem pointless, and they have a story to tell.

The Rock/Cena match, will be long because it's the main event, but I can't see it holding interest for more than half of that. They have no heat and their storytelling skills are balls.

Ithil

Also, now that we have the more or less final card, might as well post our predictions for wins, even though we're still a few weeks out. I think this year it's fairly predictable in terms of winner/loser, the real attraction is the potentially good matches.

* Randy Orton vs. Kane - There's no other outcome

*WWE Intercontinental champion Cody Rhodes vs. Big Show - While they're pushing the "Big Show always loses at WM" angle, I do think they'll have the sense to put over Cody at WM.

*World champion Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus - Seems like the way they're going.

*Team Laurinaitis vs. Team Teddy - I'll admit, wishful thinking here, I haven't a clue who's winning this

*WWE champion CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho - Almost certain, Jericho most likely returned primarily to put Punk over here.

*Triple H vs. Undertaker Hell in A Cell with Shawn Michaels as the special referee - I will probably be legitimately concerned during the match that HHH really might book himself to end the Streak, but in the end I'm pretty sure Taker will stand tall in his final WM match.

*Divas whatever - Beth is retaining against whoever, she's just waiting around until Kharma is ready to return and start a feud.

*The Rock vs. John Cena - Forgone conclusion. The only potential variable is HOW he wins. Right now I'm expecting a straight Super Cena victory.

This are my preliminary predictions, though I don't expect much to change before WM.

Forkball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtEJ_zBraF0

Just caught this match from last week's Superstars. Ziggler's selling of the Monkey Flip, Trouble in Paradise, and his head hitting the turnbuckle is great. Such a great match that will only be seen by several thousand people rather than several million.

Ziggles seems destined to be used as an enhancement talent for the big faces of the company for the next few years. I hope he eventually gets that Shawn Michaels megapush because he is too good to keep out of the main event.

Nice match. Ziggler and Kofi have had some good matches in the past where they basically traded the IC and US belts. It's amazing how far Ziggler has come, I hope he has a bright future and isn't McIntyre'd.

I am also wary of two back to back 30+ minute main events, but then again that order is just an idea, it's not the official order (which they always at least slightly screw up anyway).

I can dream anyway. All four competitors in the World title matches (the real attraction for me) thrive best in long, detailed matches where they can really tear the house down and pace themselves.

The HIAC match also should be long, as short HIAC matches just seem pointless, and they have a story to tell.

The Rock/Cena match, will be long because it's the main event, but I can't see it holding interest for more than half of that. They have no heat and their storytelling skills are balls.

Wrestling would do well to discard the notion that matches under 15 minutes are throwaway affairs. When watching a good NJPW, NOAH, or AJPW show, most of the matches are 8-15 minutes long aside from MAYBE the last 2 which MIGHT push 25 minutes. In other words, all 4 big matches going 25+ minutes is too much IMO.

WM is too long, period. It should be pushed back down to 3 hours 15 minutes max, and normal PPV's should be 2 hours 15 minutes max. They have way too many programming hours for how shallow the storylines + characters are. Of course that would mean not packing PPV's with crappy filler matches, filler segments that belong on TV, and advertisements so it won't happen.

Lunchbox

Banned
yo this mania's gonna blow hard

we already had the worst rumble of all time this year, so worst mania of all time is on the cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom