• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Reminds me a bit of Owen in a way. Owen always put on great stuff, made guys look million times better than they truly were, and didn't get those big title opportunities or much of a push. Granted most of that time it was HBK being a douchebag politician in the back.

He and the British Bulldog will forever be my favorite tag team, though.

Triple H vs Undertaker
Team Holla vs Team Excitement
Rhodes vs Show
Bryan vs Sheamus
Punk vs Y2J
Rock vs Cena

Also I predict the Miz is going to ruin something with his shittyness.

WWE title match would be my prefared option since that means Punk vs Miz next month instead of Punk vs Cena.

Plus I really dont want anyone getting involved in Rock vs Cena unless they plan of having some kind of Cena/miz heel tag team afterwords.

Still a much better card then last year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Triple H vs Undertaker
Rhodes vs Show
Bryan vs Sheamus
Punk vs Y2J
Rock vs Cena

Also I predict the Miz is going to ruin something with his shittyness.

WWE title match would be my prefared option since that means Punk vs Miz next month instead of Punk vs Cena.

Plus I really dont want anyone getting involved in Rock vs Cena unless they plan of having some kind of Cena/miz heel tag team afterwords.

Still a much better card then last year.

I can't wait to see the IWC explode if HHH is the one to end Taker's streak.

It won't happen, but that would be hilarious.

Ithil

Wrestling would do well to discard the notion that matches under 15 minutes are throwaway affairs. When watching a good NJPW, NOAH, or AJPW show, most of the matches are 8-15 minutes long aside from MAYBE the last 2 which MIGHT push 25 minutes. In other words, all 4 big matches going 25+ minutes is too much IMO.

WM is too long, period. It should be pushed back down to 3 hours 15 minutes max, and normal PPV's should be 2 hours 15 minutes max. They have way too many programming hours for how shallow the storylines + characters are. Of course that would mean not packing PPV's with crappy filler matches, filler segments that belong on TV, and advertisements so it won't happen.

Absolutely shorter matches can be awesome, but rarely in WWE. With the WWE Style, long matches really are needed for PPVs.

When they're short in WWE, all that often happens is both wrestlers get off all their signature moves and spots, without them being spaced out. Even the really versatile guys like Bryan don't get to do as much.

We're really taking Miz/Punk over Cena/Punk? We're really taking something with The Miz in it over the match of the year?
I like the title picture with no Cena.

Punk will never beat Cena clean ever. No one will ever beat cena clean. If punk vs Cena happens again it will have a bullshit ending with Cena's foot on the ropes so he didnt really lose or Punk cheating or something.

If they are always gonna have bullshit endings to make Cena look like superman no matter what I would rather they keep him away from the title and let him go do other things.

I can't wait to see the IWC explode if HHH is the one to end Taker's streak.

It won't happen, but that would be hilarious.

I..... i think there is a good chance of that happening.

I said it before. HHH wins. announces his in ring retirement the next night on raw.. takes over the GM spot of Johnny so now he is only the GM of smackdown

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I wonder if Michael Cole really can't pronounce "Laurinitis" or if Vince is screaming in his ear to always say "Lairinitis" just to get on my nerves.

I just pretend he's saying Laryngitis and think he's making a funny.

And might as well do the predictions. Winners in bold

Triple H vs Undertaker
Rhodes vs Show
Bryan vs Sheamus
Punk vs Y2J
Rock vs Cena

Last Match: Rock vs. Cena
Time: 35 minutes

Kaladin

Here is how I see Undertaker vs HBK going down, given the HBK/Undertaker promo last week...

Undertaker and Triple H will battle for over 30 minutes and they will both be down, in the ring and not moving. Shawn will have to make a choice and put one on top of the other and he will choose Undertaker. The streak will remain, however still tainted. It will also be perfect set up for a triple threat next year.

Absolutely shorter matches can be awesome, but rarely in WWE. With the WWE Style, long matches really are needed for PPVs.

When they're short in WWE, all that often happens is both wrestlers get off all their signature moves and spots, without them being spaced out. Even the really versatile guys like Bryan don't get to do as much.

Yeah I was originally going to comment on the "WWE style" matches having to be a thing of the past to make those changes, but forgot to :p

If that's the case, they can't have three 30+ minute matches back to back to back. Have the WHC in hour 1, WWE Title in hour 2, HIAC in the latter half of hour 3, Diva's match + recap of Rock/Cena feud, then Rock/Cena to finish the show. Gotta pace it not only for the home viewer, but so you don't kill the crowd in attendance.

Still, I'd be content if Punk/Jericho got ~20, Bryan/Sheamus got 15-20, HIAC got 25-30, and Rock/Cena got ~20. Thirty minutes is a long time to see guys fighting each other, and I don't think anyone wants 3 of those in one night considering only 1/3 of those matches has guys who can still go 30 minutes without four "both guys are down for 8 years" spots.

yo this mania's gonna blow hard

we already had the worst rumble of all time this year, so worst mania of all time is on the cards

This statement can not be true in a world where last year's Mania hasn't been erased from reality (fuck WM2 as well).

Also, I don't see any reason why they couldn't give more time to Punk/Jericho than the other main event matches. HIAC and Cena matches will already be padded as fuck to fill time, whereas Punk and Jericho are good enough to really go for 35+ minutes.

Ithil

Yeah I was originally going to comment on the "WWE style" matches having to be a thing of the past to make those changes, but forgot to :p

If that's the case, they can't have three 30+ minute matches back to back to back. Have the WHC in hour 1, WWE Title in hour 2, HIAC in the latter half of hour 3, Diva's match + recap of Rock/Cena feud, then Rock/Cena to finish the show. Gotta pace it not only for the home viewer, but so you don't kill the crowd in attendance.

Still, I'd be content if Punk/Jericho got ~20, Bryan/Sheamus got 15-20, HIAC got 25-30, and Rock/Cena got ~20. Thirty minutes is a long time to see guys fighting each other, and I don't think anyone wants 3 of those in one night considering only 1/3 of those matches has guys who can still go 30 minutes without four "both guys are down for 8 years" spots.

I'm merely expecting 30 minutes fo Rock/Cena, as sure as hell don't want that long.

I think I'm basing mine on the wrong assumptions, alright. I simply remember watching any thirty minute match of Bryan's in ROH and feeling it fly by.

WWE style is too slow and "structured" to support so many long matches, now that I think on it. WM 19 probably got the best balance between the length and style, if I recall there were a good 4 matches all over 17 minutes.

20 minutes is plenty for Sheamus/Bryan, and even Punk/Jericho. They all know what they're doing. HIAC and Rock/Cena being ridiculously long is unfortunately inevitable, though warranted, I suppose.

Kaladin

This statement can not be true in a world where last year's Mania hasn't been erased from reality (fuck WM2 as well).

Also, I don't see any reason why they couldn't give more time to Punk/Jericho than the other main event matches. HIAC and Cena matches will already be padded as fuck to fill time, whereas Punk and Jericho are good enough to really go for 35+ minutes.

You both must have forgotten Wrestlemania 9. You know, the show that was saved by Hulk Hogan winning the belt from Yokozuna at the end.

Here is how I see Undertaker vs HBK going down, given the HBK/Undertaker promo last week...

Undertaker and Triple H will battle for over 30 minutes and they will both be down, in the ring and not moving. Shawn will have to make a choice and put one on top of the other and he will choose Undertaker. The streak will remain, however still tainted. It will also be perfect set up for a triple threat next year.

That would be the stupidest fucking finish ever.

Izick

I don't think that they're going to tarnish the streak this far in with a dirty win.

There is no way HHH buries Undertaker's streak though, right? They have to be saving the ending of the streak for some upcoming star right?....oh shit...

HHH will have nearly beaten Undertaker, but HBK will refuse to count the pin because in his mind if he couldn't beat the streak, no one should - Shawn & Trips will then argue, giving Taker time to recover, Tombstone HHH and win the match.

Lunchbox

Banned
You both must have forgotten Wrestlemania 9. You know, the show that was saved by Hulk Hogan winning the belt from Yokozuna at the end.
wm21 to 28 have been really shit

other than the 2 hbk taker matches theres been nothing memorable. 20 was the last thing i remember because of the eddie and hardcore holly celebration. and that was in 2004......there hasnt been imagery like that since

XenoRaven

I don't think that they're going to tarnish the streak this far in with a dirty win.

There is no way HHH buries Undertaker's streak though, right? They have to be saving the ending of the streak for some upcoming star right?....oh shit...
Right. An upcoming star
COO

Kaladin

other than the 2 hbk taker matches theres been nothing memorable. 20 was the last thing i remember because of the eddie and hardcore holly celebration. and that was in 2004......there hasnt been imagery like that since

24 for me with Ric Flair retiring and Undertaker winning the belt at the end was memorable. I will never forget that last superkick.

Aiii

So not worth it

I reckon the streak will end next year and Taker will want to put over a young guy, maybe Ziggler or Cody, depending who needs it more then.

20 wins is a nice record that won't get broken, so Taker will be happy with that I'm sure.

Izick

Right. An upcoming star
COO

Z8Oft.gif

don't even joke

krae_man

Angle-HBK was awesome. Some of the MITB matches were good, Undertaker-Batista was good, Undertaker-Edge, HHH-Randy Orton
just kidding

It's pretty obvious how HHH/Taker will end.

Taker will finally have HHH dead and covered. HBK will HAVE A MENTAL STRUGGLE on WHETHER HE'LL DO THE RIGHT THING and hesitate to count. He'll finally get down and count two then stop momentarily, with Taker giving him a death stare. Then he'll finally count 3, HBK will be celebrated for doing the right thing, and Taker can go back into McCool's vagina for 11 months until WM29 rolls around.

Brinbe

Yep, they're clearly setting up to some shit between Mr. Hs and HBK, so Taker should easily take it. Also, I think that aside from the huge tag-match (because Team Excitement is clearly superior on paper, but that screams upset by the faces then) most of these matches seem to be easily predictable. What Ithil posted on the previous page pretty much matches what I expect to happen at this point.

And on the Ziggler front, I think he, along with Cody, are absolutely due for bigger roles post-Mania all through 2012. They're both obviously ready for that step, it's just a matter of pulling the trigger on it.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Taker will finally have HHH dead and covered. HBK will HAVE A MENTAL STRUGGLE on WHETHER HE'LL DO THE RIGHT THING and hesitate to count. He'll finally get down and count two then stop momentarily, with Taker giving him a death stare. Then he'll finally count 3, HBK will be celebrated for doing the right thing, and Taker can go back into McCool's vagina for 11 months until WM29 rolls around.

Exactly this.

24 for me with Ric Flair retiring and Undertaker winning the belt at the end was memorable. I will never forget that last superkick.

Shawn was usually the highlight of every WM between 19-26.

Still, my favourite part of that Mania was:

wrestlemania24.jpg

Even if they did fuck that first WHC run up.

RBH

I could see this exact situation playing out.

Izick

I have never seen this before. It's almost as good as the ending to the Nash/HHH match at TLC last year.

You should have seen it live. When the camera pulled up on Shawn's face...it was amazing. It really did feel like the end of an era, and a proper way to send off one of, if not the best in the industry.

...and as we all know, Ric retired and has stayed out of the spotlight since.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Shawn was usually the highlight of every WM between 19-26.

Still, my favourite part of that Mania was:

wrestlemania24.jpg

Even if they did fuck that first WHC run up.

I marked out so hard when that happened. Too bad his first run as WHC sucked.

When he won it the next year I was pretty disappointed, but it led to his awesome feud with Hardy so it was all good.

I have never seen this before. It's almost as good as the ending to the Nash/HHH match at TLC last year.

Do yourself a favor and watch the match and the retirement on Raw the next night. Probably the best retirement, and one of the most heartwarming moments the WWE has ever done.

It also led to the great Jericho/HBK feud of 08 a few months later.

XenoRaven

You should have seen it live. When the camera pulled up on Shawn's face...it was amazing. It really did feel like the end of an era, and a proper way to send off one of, if not the best in the industry.

...and as we all know, Ric retired and has stayed out of the spotlight since.
Evening Musuko said:
Do yourself a favor and watch the match and the retirement on Raw the next night. Probably the best retirement, and one of the most heartwarming moments the WWE has ever done.

It also led to the great Jericho/HBK feud of 08 a few months later.
Oddly enough I HAVE seen the retirement speech. I forget if it was on YouTube or on a stream when they could still show that stuff on JTV. Of course, Ric Flair retired gracefully and has never been heard from again.

Also, I feel the need to clarify that I thought the Nash/HHH match last year was terrible and that I was just being sarcastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom