• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

TNA wrestler Jeff Jarrett has landed a part in a 2013 movie, "Spring Breakers," that stars James Franco, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, and Ashley Benson. The movie is scheduled for production in April in Florida.

The movie description reads: "Four college girls who land in jail after robbing a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation find themselves bailed out by a drug and arms dealer who wants them to do some dirty work." Jarrett announced he got the part on Twitter Friday.
http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/quicknews/article_58744.shtml

I wouldn't knock that feud. It's still the most evenly matched feud Cena has ever had.

Between his 12 WWE & World Heavyweight Championship reigns, Edge has either taken the title off Cena or been instrumental in him losing the title (see his run-in at One Night Stand) no less than FOUR times.

And he never had a lame tag title win while feuding with him, either.

You have the best taste in what's interesting in the business of anyone actively posting in this thread. I'll take one post from you for every 1000 from G-Fex posting about his E-Fed.
It's actually my favourite feud for both Cena and Edge and the TLC match is great stuff as well, I just find it funny that WWE felt the need to hit Cena's superiority home with him beating Edge in a match with everything tipped in his favour, then again it's not really a bad or unusual way to do things it just that it shows that Cena has been overcoming the odds for so many years now that it's like the whole "Rey Mysterio is an underdog" thing.

I've still been going through the Observer and posting the interesting bits, spindasher. I guess nobody notices because I don't do the big stories anymore and I don't even really watch pro wrestling so my idea of interesting is probably completely different from what everyone else wants to read about.
What happened to you, man? There's no excitement in this post at all.

Keep doing your thing. I just don't want a drive-by poster to have to ruin everything.

He's just here to collect that paycheck. #fuckface

Oh shit, I wonder if Spin saw what I did?
KuGsj.gif

dream

Thanks, UberTag. I think G-Fex is a blight on this thread too.

I guess I just believe that pro wrestling is completely and globally fucked so the stories that are interesting to me generally raise the question of "can things get any better?"

Ie the most interesting story to me right now is WWE going to Dwayne for the second consecutive Wrestlemania and how little it seems to matter to anyone.

Kaladin

You know something. There was a time last year when I thought this year's Wrestlemania would be the end for me. I'd end an almost 20 year run of being a fan on a high note. But then they went and did the CM Punk/John Cena story, and Richards vs Edwards was hot, Daniel Bryan won the World Heavyweight Championship, Kevin Steen came back to ROH, I'm getting into Chikara finally, Dragon Gate USA is finally getting awesome and we're getting the ultimate hell in a cell match at Mania. There is plenty for me to be excited about still in wrestling. I may still decide to leave it all behind later this year, but I don't know....I'm kinda enjoying myself with it now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I've still been going through the Observer and posting the interesting bits, spindasher. I guess nobody notices because I don't do the big stories anymore and I don't even really watch pro wrestling so my idea of interesting is probably completely different from what everyone else wants to read about.
I'm not gonna give you a Rocky birthday special, I'm just gonna say I appreciate you. *shakes hand*
What happened to you, man? There's no excitement in this post at all.

Keep doing your thing. I just don't want a drive-by poster to have to ruin everything.
Drive-by posters are what this thread is all about now.

The drive-by bans, the drive-by threats, the drive-by bitching about the quality of the product and the thread.

dream

You could argue that this thread is some sort of meta-commentary on just how horrible WWE is now, Plywood. It's just a bunch of random shit being thrown on the walls and nothing really means anything in the end.

Where does WWE go after Wrestlemania. Rock is supposed to wrestle at Summerslam as well. Do the fans want Rock/Cena #2? Should Rock do the right thing, start a feud with Daniel Bryan after Mania, and put him over as the next hottest thing in the business and the Rock for the new generation at Summerslam?

dream

I'm just not convinced Dwayne matches mean that much to the people WWE should be targeting. I mean, look at Survivor Series. Granted, they hotshotted his big in ring return so you have to put an asterisk next to the atrocious buyrate...but does anyone even remember the match? I can barely even remember who he fought and what the finish was.

I think when you push Dwayne as being "back," rather than Hollywood Superstar Dwayne Johnson, he becomes just another guy. Except he's not really back so you can't even build around him. Kind of like Undertaker. Yeah, his big matches are kind of special but nobody's paying to see them because they don't have a reason to give a shit.

Where does WWE go after Wrestlemania. Rock is supposed to wrestle at Summerslam as well. Do the fans want Rock/Cena #2? Should Rock do the right thing, start a feud with Daniel Bryan after Mania, and put him over as the next hottest thing in the business and the Rock for the new generation at Summerslam?

Daniel Bryan?!

The Rock for a new generation?!

NoRéN

You could argue that this thread is some sort of meta-commentary on just how horrible WWE is now, Plywood. It's just a bunch of random shit being thrown on the walls and nothing really means anything in the end.
I miss your posts, dream.

I'm just not convinced Dwayne matches mean that much to the people WWE should be targeting. I mean, look at Survivor Series. Granted, they hotshotted his big in ring return so you have to put an asterisk next to the atrocious buyrate...but does anyone even remember the match? I can barely even remember who he fought and what the finish was.

I think when you push Dwayne as being "back," rather than Hollywood Superstar Dwayne Johnson, he becomes just another guy. Except he's not really back so you can't even build around him. Kind of like Undertaker. Yeah, his big matches are kind of special but nobody's paying to see them because they don't have a reason to give a shit.

It was a horrible move for WWE to bring him back for Survivor Series. It was a horrible move for him to come back for that Birthday edition of Raw. It was a horrible move to hype this match a year in advance. It was a horrible move for Cena to bury his opponents for Survivor Series weekly before the show for over a month so noone took them as credible threats. It was a horrible move to team Rock with the guy he supposedly hates. It's a horrible move to bring back Rock just to try to put over Cena even more when he has been on fucking top and people have been sick of him for over 7 years already. It's a horrible move by WWE to think that Rock putting over Cena will make those fans that left because of Cena and a PG product come back for more than 1 show.

UberTag

I think it would be foolish to expect Dwayne to be programmed against anyone that isn't John Cena at this point. Regardless of whether they square off twice more at Summerslam and next year's WrestleMania.

Does any of it matter? Hell no. I'm just curious to see how much more of Cena's bitch the WWE makes the Rock out to be over the next 4 weeks. The only way this angle gets compelling is if Dwayne calls Vince on the carpet for making him look like an ass with crib notes and kung pow BS catchphrase nonsense live on RAW and the angle becomes ABOUT "shoving Cena down our throats" and Dwayne's new-found motivation to put an end to it.

Name me any other thread on this forum that consistently puts up the ratings numbers in posts and views month in and month out?

Don't make me put up a WWE style "Did You Know" graphic.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
hXpU6.gif

UberTag

Name me any other thread on this forum that consistently puts up the ratings numbers in posts and views month in and month out?

Don't make me put up a WWE style "Did You Know" graphic.
Quantity does not equate to quality, bean breath. ESPECIALLY in this thread.
A good number of the best WrassleGAF contributors are the ones who don't show up on the Hall of Shame each month.

dream

I can't completely begrudge WWE for thinking Dwayne is the solution. They have to protect the cachet of Wrestlemania, the grandest stage of all, the showcase of the immortals, etc etc etc. But, as you pointed out, they just diluted the shit out of Dwayne's value, probably because they're so enamored of the idea of Dwayne legitimizing what they do.

I think deep down I like the idea of the 1 year build. The problem is this is a company with no ability to even book short term, much less something a year down the line. I think any non-efed rassle gaffer could come up with ideas for how to build interest, slowly ramp up momentum, then climax at the ppv that would be far better than what we have now.

Legitimate question: Do you think Triple H taking over for Vince would improve the product significantly? Logically, the horrifically stupid bits like Natalya farting would disappear... But do you think there would be a bigger emphasis on wrestling?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I can't completely begrudge WWE for thinking Dwayne is the solution. They have to protect the cachet of Wrestlemania, the grandest stage of all, the showcase of the immortals, etc etc etc. But, as you pointed out, they just diluted the shit out of Dwayne's value, probably because they're so enamored of the idea of Dwayne legitimizing what they do.

I think deep down I like the idea of the 1 year build. The problem is this is a company with no ability to even book short term, much less something a year down the line. I think any non-efed rassle gaffer could come up with ideas for how to build interest, slowly ramp up momentum, then climax at the ppv that would be far better than what we have now.

damn, you are salty as fuck when it comes to g-fex. its kinda funny.

Ya know the 1 year Cena vs Rock build is gonna seem even more stupid when the loser asks for and gets a rematch the next night... probably at Summerslam.

UberTag

It's not so much that the WWE can't build or doesn't have people working in Creative with ideas. They do.

The problem lies with Vince sabotaging everything and changing his mind on a whim whenever he looks at a ratings report, a PPV buyrate, a WWE Shopzone sales report, sees something trend on Twitter, watches a terrible movie, has a scary dream or a storyline gets leaked to the 'Net.

He is his own worst enemy. You could have Russo, Lagana, Cornette and Heyman as a 4-man creative dream team but the product would still turn out like shit because Vince is his own worst enemy.

Legitimate question: Do you think Triple H taking over for Vince would improve the product significantly? Logically, the horrifically stupid bits like Natalya farting would disappear... But do you think there would be a bigger emphasis on wrestling?
A) Triple H can't fix anything with the product until Vince REMOVES himself from the equation. Even "taking over for Vince" doesn't equate to that. Vince shouldn't even be allowed to watch his product any more.

B) I haven't seen any reason to think Trips is interested in anything besides putting himself and his buddies over. Has developmental gotten any better since Trips took over? No. The only thing that's different is promising guys stay in Florida due to Creative having nothing for them instead of them getting brought up and exposed as jobbers to Cena, Orton, CM Punk, Hunter's buddies or wasted in a "you win one, I win one, go nowhere" midcard role.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
sad about Mark Henry

He should go to TNA and RING KA KING as the American Silverback.

Quantity does not equate to quality, bean breath. ESPECIALLY in this thread.
A good number of the best WrassleGAF contributors are the ones who don't show up on the Hall of Shame each month.

Everyone plays a part. The posters who chime in less frequently on things like The Undertaker's subtle gimmick changes over the years. The posters that keep this thread on the first page and usually near the top. The posters that post news, links, and video clips. The drive-by enforcers who long to be moderators. The old-timers who tried every trick in the book to get a Wrestling thread past 10 pages (WWE only, weekly, quarterly, etc.) and are bitter that they play zero part in it's resurgence so they drop in to harken back to the "glory" days.

But like I said, everyone plays a part.

UberTag

sad about Mark Henry

He should go to TNA and RING KA KING as the American Silverback.
What did I miss?
Mark Henry is getting JoMo's 2011 push from now until the time his contract expires and he doesn't elect to renew.
Effectively don't expect him to win another match due to what would seem to be irreconcilable differences between him and Crazy Vince.

Kaladin

Mark Henry is getting JoMo's 2011 push from now until the time his contract expires and he doesn't elect to renew.
Effectively don't expect him to win another match due to what would seem to be irreconcilable differences between him and Crazy Vince.

That sucks. At least he can go anywhere he wants as Mark Henry though.

Nothing will really change.

HHH will have potty humor too, if he ever did take control of the WWE upon Vince's passing.

Now, if Stephanie took control, things would be different. I can't say for sure that she could make things better, but I definitely like her thinking that Evan Bourne should have been made into something bigger.

Edit: Beef, I did see what Tazz replied to you with. Although Tazz is probably in my top five favorite wrestlers, I found it hilarious.

I'm just saying Vince doesn't own the name if he chooses to go elsewhere instead of retiring.

No, I got what you meant. I was just wondering if he'd make it in to the Hall of Fame.

He probably couldn't use World's Strongest Man or Sexual Chocolate though, right?

Kaladin

No, I got what you meant. I was just wondering if he'd make it in to the Hall of Fame.

He probably couldn't use World's Strongest Man or Sexual Chocolate though, right?

He probably could use World's Strongest Man since I don't think Vince can copyright that, but Sexual Chocolate is likely owned by WWE.

Wait... Is Mark Henry really on his way out? That totally sucks. He finally got a character that I really like after watching him since like 1996 and now he's leaving? :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't want Henry to use the sexual chocolate gimmick. It'd be tantamount to Val Venis strutting around with that towel in 2010.

This is a gimmick he cannot escape. Despite it not being the most over gimmick, it certainly has stayed with him the longest.

DMeisterJ

Banned

It must be demoralizing getting JoMo'd. I'm gonna miss the big guy. I do have to say that WWE did a legit job in pushing him as a heel, and stuck with it for a rather long time (for WWE standards).

Kaladin

It must be demoralizing getting JoMo'd. I'm gonna miss the big guy. I do have to say that WWE did a legit job in pushing him as a heel, and stuck with it for a rather long time (for WWE standards).

He even went over Randy Orton clean.....in a hell in a cell even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom