• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

The following FCW wrestlers have confirmed on their respective Twitter accounts that they will be competing at Wrestlemania Axxess this year:

Seth Rollins
Xavier Woods
Damien Sandow
Kenneth Cameron
Dean Ambrose
Antonio Ceasaro
Leo Kruger
Bo Rotundo

RBH

--WWE developmental wrestler Husky Harris appeared under the name Levi Wyatt at a non-televised Florida Championship Wrestling event on Thursday. His character was described by a person in attendance at the event as a religious zealot. Wearing a straw hat and Hawaiian shirt, he cut a heelish promo before defeating fellow developmental talent Jiro in a singles match.

The Wrestling Observer reported this week that Harris is on management's radar for a promotion to the main roster and would be debuting a new character.
001.jpg

jmdajr

NoRéN;36288755 said:
Why the hate? What's wrong with her?

They always accused her of fucking her way to the top. Never knew Taker had that much pull in the back.
Decent in the ring and pretty good on the Mic. I don't really care if she was working the Phenom.

I went to WrestleMania 23,25,26 and 27 but got bored by the start of the year so decided to skip this 28. Is it worth me ordering 28 on PPV as I have missed all the build-up? I really want to see the Rock wrestle but don't think it is worth £15 to me.

Kaladin

I went to WrestleMania 23,25,26 and 27 but got bored by the start of the year so decided to skip this 28. Is it worth me ordering 28 on PPV as I have missed all the build-up? I really want to see the Rock wrestle but don't think it is worth £15 to me.

£15? That's all? People will pay $50 - $65 in the US for Mania. I'd say this is one Mania you can still enjoy without seeing the immediate build. The only thing you might feel like you're missing something on is Team Teddy vs Team Johnny.

krae_man

Wait what? You decided to not spend a couple of thousand on a trip to the US and can't decide if you want to spend £15 to watch it on PPV instead?

Wait what? You decided to not spend a couple of thousand on a trip to the US and can't decide if you want to spend £15 to watch it on PPV instead?

I have watched zero wrestling since last Wrestlemania other than the Rumble. And someone in my family works for an airline so it usually a lot cheaper than going normally.

Jamie OD

Well, looks like Pro Wrestling NOAH is fucked. From the Observer site:

"Pro Wrestling NOAH just announced that General Manager Ryu Nakata and Counselor Haruka Eigen had ties to the Yakuza from 2003 to 2010, working with them to sell tickets to the company's live events.

All of the major Japanese media covered the story, which will give the promotion a bad public image. Virtually every promotion in sports and entertainment in Japan has Yakuza tie-ins, but it's probably best analogized like the steroid issue in sports in the U.S. It's commonplace in every major sport, deep down everyone knows it, but if it comes out that somebody used it publicly, it's a black mark against them. Pride went down largely because of these revelations.

Exactly how this will fall out is unknown, but expect fall out very quickly.

NOAH was, at least among Japanese sports fans, the most popular promotion in the country for much of the last decade, but fell on hard times in recent years once losing its network television outlet. A financially-strapped NTV, due to the recession, canceled pro wrestling, one of the longest lasting shows in the history of television in any country, dating back more than 50 years. The death of president Mitsuharu Misawa was another gigantic blow. Without strong television, the company was unable to create new stars who could sell tickets like Misawa and the frequently injured and physically destroyed Kenta Kobashi."

This is the sort of thing that killed Pride Fighting Championships and Pride was in far better health at the time compared to NOAH now. Excuse the pun but it might be time for the NOAH roster to abandon ship.

Edit: Checked a few Japanese sites to make sure this is true. Looks like it. Up on Sports-Navi which is a big name sports site in Japan.

Jesus, it's crazy how fast everything fell apart after Misawa's death - and strange to think that many thought AJPW would go under when NOAH split from them, and now AJPW seem to be doing a lot better while NOAH are in real trouble. If they did end up closing down, I could see AJPW picking up a number of guys from their roster.

jmdajr

WM29:

Rock vs Cena (WWE Champ) III
HHH vs HBK
Punk vs Stone Cold
Undertaker vs Lesnar
Daniel Bryan (WHC) vs Cody Rhodes

HBK to come out of retirement.... to retire..... HHH?

But HBK told me it wouldn't be fair to the Undertaker!

And we have to hold for for Cena /Taker at Wrestlemania 30?

That's crazy hearing about NOAH. Hopefully when it goes under, a lot of the talent find new homes quickly. I could see New Japan signing a good amount of the guys with new ownership wanting to expand the brand and all.

Kaladin

Let Noah's fall be a lesson to Teddy Long should he win at Mania: You can't book shows with all tag team matches, it doesn't work in the long run.

trunbuns

yeah well those are two of the greatest WM matches ever...and 4 of the most popular wrestlers wwe has ever had so of course.
Yeah and Cena is one of their biggest stars now. It's pretty bad that they haven't really created a storyline for the match other than BITCH!

I just feel that it currently lacks intensity. They've had the rock every week and they haven't used it as an opportunity to build heat for the match, more to have rock doing rock stuff to entertain the live crowd.

Still excited for the match, but that is despite the build rather than because of it.

Kaladin

People rarely remember the build to a great Wrestlemania match anyway. If a WM match is great, it should be able to stand on it's own.

Khrno

A 16 month title reign would be awesome.

Punk and Bryan champions during the whole year having numerous feuds during the year and actually looking like credible champions? Not asking for the 70s all over again, but longer lasting title reigns wouldn't be a bad thing.

You know what match had a great Mania build? Batista/HHH. Not a lot of people remember it, because the match was so-so, but that was a great buildup. Probably the last Triple H feud I really enjoyed.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Yeah and Cena is one of their biggest stars now. It's pretty bad that they haven't really created a storyline for the match other than BITCH!

I just feel that it currently lacks intensity. They've had the rock every week and they haven't used it as an opportunity to build heat for the match, more to have rock doing rock stuff to entertain the live crowd.

Still excited for the match, but that is despite the build rather than because of it.

no offense but Cena...isnt on that level so that why i give that a pass, he's not sean, taker, SCSA, or the Rock. I didnt expect much and am not receiving it, these two guys are keeping it to the script and cordial. In all reality Cena cant say anything to the rock , he debuted on the show named after the guy. Rock built the game up , under Cena for whatever reason its just eroded.

Random note...i miss kurt angle not being on top of his game...oh its true..its damn true.

trunbuns

no offense but Cena...isnt on that level so that why i give that a pass, he's not sean, taker, SCSA, or the Rock. I didnt expect much and am not receiving it, these two guys are keeping it to the script and cordial. In all reality Cena cant say anything to the rock , he debuted on the show named after the guy. Rock built the game up , under Cena for whatever reason its just eroded.

Random note...i miss kurt angle not being on top of his game...oh its true..its damn true.
Angle was awesome in his prime. Probably second in my all time fav 5 after shawn.

lol

I can see the HOF speech now: "With an unprecedented... 19-1 record at Wrestlemania!"

And you just know who will be the one to give the speech

"19...and 1"

84woR.gif

Rock vs Austin 3rd match was great buildup too

And look at fucking JR just being able to hype shit up so much more than the current crop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwBDj5XDFKs&feature=related

I got a lot of favorite build-up videos, but that last 10 or so seconds with the music beats matching up to the quick shots of Rock and Austin, with JR going crazy as fuck in the background...just the hypest wrestling thing ever. I love it.

RBH

On this day in wrestling history 11 years ago:

TAMFORD, Conn., March 23, 2001 - World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWF) today announced its purchase of the World Championship Wrestling (WCW) brand from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS Inc.), a division of AOL Time Warner.

The purchase of WCW creates a tag team partnership with the World Wrestling Federation brand that is expected to propel the sports entertainment genre to new heights.

In keeping with the company's strategic alliance with Viacom, new WCW programming is anticipated to air on TNN in the near future. The possibility of cross-brand storylines and intrigue, however, may start as early as Monday night during WWF Raw Is War on TNN and the final performance of WCW Monday Nitro Live on Turner Network Television (TNT).

The binding agreement provides World Wrestling Federation Entertainment with the global rights to the WCW brand, tape library, and other intellectual property rights.

"This acquisition is the perfect creative and business catalyst for our company," said Linda McMahon, Chief Executive Officer of World Wrestling Federation Entertainment. "This is a dream combination for fans of sports entertainment. The incendiary mix of World Wrestling Federation and WCW personalities potentially creates intriguing storylines that will attract a larger fan base to the benefit of our advertisers and business partners, and propel sports entertainment to new heights."

"The acquisition of the WCW brand is a strategic move for us," said Stuart Snyder, President and Chief Operating Officer for World Wrestling Federation Entertainment. "We are assuming a brand with global distribution and recognition. We are adding thousands of hours to our tape library that can be repurposed for home videos, television, Internet streaming, and broadband applications. The WCW opens new opportunities for growth in our Pay Per View, live events, and consumer products divisions, as well as the opportunity to develop new television programming using new stars. We also will create additional advertising and sponsorship opportunities. In short, it is a perfect fit."

Following that, WCW head Brad Siegel, who had become hated amongst WCW employees for essentially not letting his employees know what was going on, issued the following memo internally.

"Today, World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. is announcing that we have reached an agreement for the sale of WCW. This agreement with WWF holds tremendous potential for the WCW brand and assets. The press release announcing the news is attached.

As we told you last week, WCW programming will not appear on TNT and TBS Superstation after March 27. We will share more information with you about the WWF's immediate plans for WCW in the all-staff meeting scheduled for Wednesday, March 28, at 10 a.m. at the Power Plant. Thank you."

Linda McMahon did a press conference later that day, although no real details were uncovered that hadn't been mentioned in the press release. It was mentioned that they did intend to keep WCW as a separate entity, although many had their doubts (which would later be proven correct). Ric Flair summed up the feelings of most when he said that he never thought he'd see the day that WCW didn't exist, although he would later admit to being happy about seeing the company sold to the WWF.

The WCW meeting would see the staff let go (they were not even allowed to return to their desks for their personal items, immediately walked out of CNN Center after the meeting; one staffer lost an entire screenplay he had been writing on a company computer), although they were allowed to submit applications for work with WWE.

:(

Entropia

No One Remembers
On this day in wrestling history 11 years ago:

:(

11 years... where has the time gone? It's amazing to think that in those 11 years there's like only a few people who are still active with the WWE who came over from that acquisition - Booker T(as a commentator) and Rey Mysterio (?). Everyone else was treated like shit and went nowhere.

Kaladin

11 years... where has the time gone? It's amazing to think that in those 11 years there's like only a few people who are still active with the WWE who came over from that acquisition - Booker T(as a commentator) and Rey Mysterio (?). Everyone else was treated like shit and went nowhere.

I wouldn't call TNA nowhere.

Kaladin

Speaking of speeches:

Edge will be inducted by Christian.

The Four Horsemen will be inducted by Dusty Rhodes.

Mike Tyson will be inducted by Triple H and Shawn Michaels.

Yokozuna will be inducted by Rikishi and The Usos.

Mil Mascaras will be inducted by Alberto Del Rio.

Ron Simmons will be inducted by JBL.

Jerry Lawler will once again be the host of the ceremonies.

Mr. Sam

Rey Mysterio came over separately, in 2002, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom