• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still hilarious that they've killed Rock as a ratings draw trying to lower him to Cena's level. Wrestlemania will still probably do big numbers because it's Wrestlemania and it built itself into a brand where casuals order it even when they don't watch, kind of like the Superbowl. WWE was expecting 1.3 million buys though and I'm gonna guess it will end up around 800,000-900,000.

somedevil

I remember mentioning number 2 the first time the two of them interacted. And all it would have taken was a single line from Sheamus about how he feels Bryan is an undeserving champion or a coward or something.

But nothing. Its been Sheamus is a contender, Bryan is the champion. Not much else to their feud. Which is sad.

Sheamus has called Bryan coward multiple times and says he hids behind AJ on Smackdown a couple of times. Also, Chris Jericho is staying. He signed a 6 month contract and just signed an unknown extension of that. So he not done after Wrestlemania.

Kaladin

I still think this will be a good Wrestlemania despite the low viewership and bad builds. Remember Wrestlemania is the one show of the year that should be able to stand on it's own despite anything that went on around it.

You would think WWE would offer him 6 figures to come back for the network, tv in a legends deal. Lol, if Dixie is still paying him $500,000 a year, although Flair is one of the guys that negotiates directly with Spike so to them they probably don't think it's very much or have any clue.

Didn't Vince offer Flair half a million a year to do appearances and basically be a ambassador for WWE when he retired?

RBH

iFkLCS4M2t0Ql.png
i3kt0wRNzKAC.png

http://www.gerweck.net/tv-ratings/2011-ratings/
http://www.gerweck.net/tv-ratings/2012-tv-ratings/

Kaladin

Is it an exception or the beginning of a trend?

This Wrestlemania isn't 27. This has more than one good match that can stand the test of time. It's also not (obviously) building to next year's Mania. We all knew going in that 27 was a build to Rock wrestling next year.....while we may suspect a Rock/Cena trilogy, this match should be able to stand on it's own.

krae_man

LOL WWE turned the interactive seat map off for Wrestlemania. Can't have everyone notice thousands of tickets are still available.

Also Club tickets are 1/2 off now.

This Wrestlemania isn't 27. This has more than one good match that can stand the test of time. It's also not (obviously) building to next year's Mania. We all knew going in that 27 was a build to Rock wrestling next year.....while we may suspect a Rock/Cena trilogy, this match should be able to stand on it's own.

The first match will be the best. Its hard to duplicate the magic.

somedevil

Is it an exception or the beginning of a trend?

I think and from some review there hasn't been a good wrestlemania since 2008. This card has the potential to be great if matches are given enough time.

LOL WWE turned the interactive seat map off for Wrestlemania. Can't have everyone notice thousands of tickets are still available.

Also Club tickets are 1/2 off now.

The amount of ticket left doesn't really matter. It will mostly sold out anyway. I don't see why its so important.

Ithil

I remember mentioning number 2 the first time the two of them interacted. And all it would have taken was a single line from Sheamus about how he feels Bryan is an undeserving champion or a coward or something.

But nothing. Its been Sheamus is a contender, Bryan is the champion. Not much else to their feud. Which is sad.

He has called him a coward a couple of times. They've gotten about 4 minutes in 8 shows for promos though.

WM buyrates

WrestleMania 1 - 398,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
WrestleMania 2 - 319,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
WrestleMania III - 450,000 (Closed Circuit Television) and another 400,000 on PPV
WrestleMania IV - 175,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
WrestleMania V - 767,000
WrestleMania VI - 550,000
WrestleMania VII - 400,000
WrestleMania VIII - 360,000
WrestleMania IX - 430,000
WrestleMania X - 420,000
WrestleMania XI - 340,000
WrestleMania XII - 290,000
WrestleMania 13 - 237,000 (Lowest Buyrate Record)
WrestleMania XIV - 730,000
WrestleMania XV - 800,000
WrestleMania 2000 - 824,000
WrestleMania X-Seven - 1,040,000
WrestleMania X8 - 880,000
WrestleMania XIX - 560,000
WrestleMania XX - 1,007,000
WrestleMania 21 - 1,085,000
WrestleMania 22 - 975,000
WrestleMania 23 - 1,250,000 (Highest Buyrate Record)
WrestleMania XXIV - 1,041,000
WrestleMania XXV - 960,000
WrestleMania XXVI - 885,000
WrestleMania XXVII - 1,042,000

XXVII being so high is LOL, but XIX being so low is always weird to me. XIX had the return of HBK to WM with a great match against Chris Jericho, Hogan and Vince have a bloody brawl on the biggest stage of them all, Austin/Rock for the final time, and you know there was gonna be a great Angle/Lesnar match at the end. I think that's a lot of appeal, but the buyrate was terrible! WTF!?

dream

It's still hilarious that they've killed Rock as a ratings draw trying to lower him to Cena's level. Wrestlemania will still probably do big numbers because it's Wrestlemania and it built itself into a brand where casuals order it even when they don't watch, kind of like the Superbowl. WWE was expecting 1.3 million buys though and I'm gonna guess it will end up around 800,000-900,000.

Hopefully, being turned into Just Another Guy will hurt Dwayne's Q rating which, in turn, will hurt his box office appeal which, in turn, will make him decide to not work with WWE again which, in turn, will finally kill this miserable company which, in turn, will release hundreds of broken down drug addicted conmen with no employable skills into the world.

Kaladin

You know what would have really popped a rating bigger than The Rock? If Undertaker or Triple H put their career on the line for this match and they left HBK out.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Rock vs. Austin Wrestlemania 17

Triple H vs. Batista Wrestlemania 21. There's a reason this had the biggest buyrate at the time. On a side note, Teddy Long has been the smackdown general manager FOREVER

no he hasn't

He got booted by Vickie in a takeover (during the Edge title runs)
Then he got fired and sent down to ECW
then moved to back to Smackdown after Vickie left the first time (she came back a few months later...tbh I think she's just working to keep Eddie's salary since he bought a house right before he died)

edit: I can't forget the heart attack and the attempted murder by Dolph!

XXVII being so high is LOL, but XIX being so low is always weird to me. XIX had the return of HBK to WM with a great match against Chris Jericho, Hogan and Vince have a bloody brawl on the biggest stage of them all, Austin/Rock for the final time, and you know there was gonna be a great Angle/Lesnar match at the end. I think that's a lot of appeal, but the buyrate was terrible! WTF!?
The biggest problem in regards to XIX is that Austin/Rock was not hyped as Austin's final match. I understand that was what Austin wanted, but it definitely lowered the buyrate.

Kaladin

no he hasn't

He got booted by Vickie in a takeover (during the Edge title runs)
Then he got fired and sent down to ECW
then moved to back to Smackdown after Vickie left the first time (she came back a few months later...tbh I think she's just working to keep Eddie's salary since he bought a house right before he died)

edit: I can't forget the heart attack and the attempted murder by Dolph!

Yep, they really have run the course with Teddy Long on Smackdown. Also, you forget this gem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfuYPwdfFr4

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
WM buyrates

Most of these numbers are fudged, by the way. WWE have fudged their buy rates for years... some of these numbers are only US, some are US + Worldwide PPV, some are US + Worldwide PPV + Worldwide TV.... they're a mess.

They keep moving the goalposts as to what they use in these numbers so it's very hard to keep track of how well they're doing based on historical figures.

Striker

This is sort of the line of thinking that got them in trouble in the first place, they should be building new stars not digging these corpses (aside from Jericho) up whenever they think they need a hot ratings injection.
It's Vince relying on his old dogs rather than being creative and finding ways to make his current wrestlers bigger. He's been digging himself in this hole for so, so long, and it will eventually be his downfall, or we'll have some new stars. I too am happy the numbers dropped. I hadn't watched a full/most of RAW for several months, and when I do, it's still shit. I could have swore watching that Big Show last night was no different than the one I skimmed three weeks ago. Awful writing, period.

Former WWE creative team member Seth Mates had to this to say about Rock vs Cena in a recent interview.

"Rock has one massive piece of ammo to use on Cena. Rock could argue that unlike other superstars, he left the business still on top and didn't feel the need to hang around and take other guy's spots. Rock could argue that by his leaving when he did it gave the opportunity for someone like Cena to be showcased. If Rock were really selfish and didn't respect the business, he would have hung around for more paydays and taken up a lot more main event spots, much like others who we all know. It was almost exactly around the time that Rock left that Cena started to take off. The point right here, that point right there would silence Cena and his backers. Food for thought. Rock could go, you know had I stuck around, John, you would not have emerged when you did because you would have never taken my spot."

Wish Rock would have said this while Cena was smirking last month, would have made for a good gif.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Wrestling was in a really bad slump at the time, and WM 19 was horribly promoted and hyped. They did an incredible job hyping up XX, however.

jobber

Yep, they really have run the course with Teddy Long on Smackdown. Also, you forget this gem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfuYPwdfFr4

I didn't forget..he never got fired..just blackmailed. Vince was trolling Teddy and Drew took advantage of it.

Also don't forget Teddy turned heel during Punk's title run and in turn, Punk is the only man in WWE history to have a submission victory over the Undertaker ^_^

Wrestling was in a really bad slump at the time, and WM 19 was horribly promoted and hyped. They did an incredible job hyping up XX, however.

Didn't the Wrestlemania sign debut during the build for 20? Maybe that's why they keep that god damn sign up from December-April

Kaladin

Former WWE creative team member Seth Mates had to this to say about Rock vs Cena in a recent interview.

"Rock has one massive piece of ammo to use on Cena. Rock could argue that unlike other superstars, he left the business still on top and didn't feel the need to hang around and take other guy's spots. Rock could argue that by his leaving when he did it gave the opportunity for someone like Cena to be showcased. If Rock were really selfish and didn't respect the business, he would have hung around for more paydays and taken up a lot more main event spots, much like others who we all know. It was almost exactly around the time that Rock left that Cena started to take off. The point right here, that point right there would silence Cena and his backers. Food for thought. Rock could go, you know had I stuck around, John, you would not have emerged when you did because you would have never taken my spot."

Wish Rock would have said this while Cena was smirking last month, would have made for a good gif.

He's probably former creative because he shot this idea at Vince and Vince fired him on the spot.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I didn't forget..he never got fired..just blackmailed. Vince was trolling Teddy and Drew took advantage of it.

Also don't forget Teddy turned heel during Punk's title run and in turn, Punk is the only man in WWE history to have a submission victory over the Undertaker ^_^

Didn't the Wrestlemania sign debut during the build for 20? Maybe that's why they keep that god damn sign up from December-April
Not entirely true, I believe Angle once made heel Biker Taker tap on a random episode of RAW that ended in a double pin/submission, where Taker tapped, and Angle's shoulders were down. The victory was given to Angle, but then disputed. Ah fuck it, let's just say you're right. lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shortlived, but I gotta burn through them:

O1APO.jpg
rdES1.jpg

Shame no one noticed the similarity.

Now I gotta watch yesterdays Big Show.

jobber

Not entirely true, I believe Angle once made heel Biker Taker tap on a random episode of RAW that ended in a double pin/submission, where Taker tapped, and Angle's shoulders were down. The victory was given to Angle, but then disputed. Ah fuck it, let's just say you're right. lol

RVD also pinned Biketaker for the WWE title :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptjOV9md7w

I would assume you have to slap the mat more than once for it actually be a tap out, so Undertaker definitely pinned him. :lol

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yeah, they really improved their WM hype around that time, but doing year long promotions and hype. It made the event feel like such a huge deal.

WM 19 was horribly built. No one really cared about Hogan/Vince, and Jericho/HBK was the only thing that got a good long build besides Hogan/Vince. Rock/Austin felt like it was thrown together a month before, and Booker T just wasn't a credible opponent for HHH, especially since HHH had spent months squashing people. Damn that was such an absolutely terrible time for wrestling.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
im kinda confused at why the raw go home show was so tame...usually its a huge eventful show , a lot of video packages ...its like i was watching youtube clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom