• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

The best part is Batista was terrible for 90% of his tenure, it's just his last heel run that gets everyone so hyped up for him (which I missed virtually all of).

Now I've always enjoyed the guy, obviously, just rarely for the intended reasons.

Finished the Mania thread Banner.

When do ya want the thread posted? After Smackdown seems best.

I think I will go with

Wrestlemania 28 |OT| Era's end but John Cena will be here Forever.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
questions

What Sunflower said is true. The reasons for liking wrestling are varied, and so are the promotions and performers that put on the shows.

For me, personally, a huge part of it is just appreciating the athleticism and psychology involved in putting on a good match. A good buildup can be just as entertaining in it's own way, but I'll always be the type to get behind a performer that has the intelligence and instincts to properly pace a match, and the technical ability to make it look spectacular.

As much as many of us IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) fans might sometimes scoff at the term "sports entertainment", wrestling really is more performance art than sport. The goal of the athletes in every contest is not to win or lose a match, it's to get the crowd invested in the match, and in the role that they play in the match. Just like any other performance art, the ultimate goal is to entertain.

The truth is, outside of a few questionable folk, of course everyone knows it's fake. And yet, that just makes it even more incredible to me how a great match can elicit such primal reactions from a crowd.

We all know they're trying to get us to react a certain way. The amazing times are when they manage to get the reactions despite ourselves.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The best part is Batista was terrible for 90% of his tenure, it's just his last heel run that gets everyone so hyped up for him (which I missed virtually all of).

I also really enjoyed his run in Evolution as well. I wasn't watching wrasslin' at the time but I went back, and it's good.

RBH

Finished the Mania thread Banner.

When do ya want the thread posted? After Smackdown seems best.

I think I will go with

Wrestlemania 28 |OT| Era's end but John Cena will be here Forever.

Eh, I liked "WrestleMania 28 |OT| It's going to be a Big Show" better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Read some possible spoilers.

I would recommend staying away from all the dirt sheets for the weekend.

I actually don't mind possible spoilers - it plans a seed in my head and I'm always guessing whether it was bullshit or not, all the way to the end. That's the nature of dirt sheets I guess. Just posting my thoughts on it.

I actually don't mind possible spoilers - it plans a seed in my head and I'm always guessing whether it was bullshit or not, all the way to the end. That's the nature of dirt sheets I guess. Just posting my thoughts on it.

But I dont want to spoil it and just in case something doesn't actually happen I wouldnt want to get my hopes up

Eh, I liked "WrestleMania 28 |OT| It's going to be a Big Show" better.

Its close.... If more people want that I will go with that.

Feel free to give me some feedback #ThreadTitle

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all ready to mark out over the BAUUUUUUUTISTA BOOOOOOOOMB!!!!

I'm going to make one of those signs I always hated that said BATISTA and then a shitty drawing of a bomb. Ranks up there with the stupid "What's" and the up arrow for R-Truth.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN;36506543 said:
Speaking of Batista, anyone ever see House of the Rising Sun?

I did not - did it release?

I did watch Wrong Side of Town. It was awesome.

Isn't Gabriel a face and Kidd a heel? Or has one of them turned recently?

I really need to watch more WWE.

The last thing I recall, Justin Gabriel was in a bromance with Hornswoggle.

Tyson Kidd was feuding with Michael McGillicutty over pro wrestling nepatism; Kidd was sort of a Jon Snow from Game of Thrones type, in that he wasn't a true Hart. But Kidd argued that he was more of a Hart than McGillicutty was a Perfect. This all culminated in many epic matches on NXT.

Batista and Lesnar?!

ILmSp.gif

The last thing I recall, Justin Gabriel was in a bromance with Hornswoggle.

Tyson Kidd was feuding with Michael McGillicutty over pro wrestling nepatism; Kidd was sort of a Jon Snow from Game of Thrones type, in that he wasn't a true Hart. But Kidd argued that he was more of a Hart than McGillicutty was a Perfect. This all culminated in many epic matches on NXT.
Huh, I forgot McGillicutty was still on the roster. But then again, I probably can't name most of the prelim guys on the roster.

G-Fex

I just watched Bad Movie Beatdown's review of The Wrong Side of Town.

LOL Brotista dude. Poor RVD, he didn't deserve such a shitty movie.

i dont want to troll, but i would really like to understand wrestling culture...

ive been seeing it my whole life in various aspects and since i was a small child i figure it was "fake" and found it to be a waste of time. it seems however the more ive aged, the more it seems that the hook of wrestling is actually the drama of it, something like a grand opera where all these disparate characters are all fighting for some sort of mcguffin title.

however on that regards it seems like the drama also is intensely "fake", and as well really, really poorly written. so then i see these people who take it as a real sport of some sort, which seem to be the less affluent fans, and the people who take it as some sort of giant irony and watch it as some sort of window into a more grossly masculine culture where spooning an oiled up man can be within heterosexual boundaries, and testosterome reigns supreme

is this accurate, or am i off base? is there a more hidden meaning to wrestling that makes it more exciting, on a non-ironic level? or is this just some sort of like celebration of the patriarchal society of old, where men could be MEN

A GOOD wrestling show should be the equivalent of a good action movie. The sort of action movie that follows characters in a tournament win/loss based setting. So yeah, the drama, both in storyline and in combat, is a part of that, but it should all ultimately boil down to rivalries of all sorts being settled in the ring. It's not about thinking it's real, or watching in some ironic fashion, it's just about watching a show. Some people like it for the characters and personalities, some people like it for the scripted ballet of violence that occurs from bell to bell, and some people like it for both. It's no more complicated then that. It's one part action movie, one part Roman gladiators, one part showmanship, one part D-level storytelling (for the most part). If you're ever been entertained by any kind of scripted fight scene, there's really nothing to explain. People like to see athletes doing athletic things, people like to see good vs. evil, people like to buy into storylines.

- Machine Gun Kelly recently spoke about John Cena's entrance at WrestleMania this weekend, which he will be performing during. Check out the highlights:

On the plan for the entrance: "I think the dopest thing about the performance is he didn't want to do any flashy shit or any pyro. We were told we could do whatever we wanted. They laid out this big plan; we'd come out with fucking fire and all this crazy shit. Cena was like, 'Lets make sure we keep it about what we stand for, which is simplicity and representing for the average Joe.' I thought it was cool we're not going to do any of that. We're just going to come out and do our thing."

But what about when you had a entire church choir singing your entrance theme John? Or When you had 6 guys drive to the ring in a gangster car and you shot a gun? Or when you drove a expensive muscle car to the ring?

What happened to representing the average joe then?

Yeah I was looking through that HoF album yesterday on iTunes and I saw that there. What I heard was completely terrible.
I don't know why they feel the need to have Jim Johnston crap up classic themes. First it was Bret Hart, then The Rock, and now the Horsemen.

Just get rid of him. He hasn't done a good theme in a long time. Most of the decent themes in the WWE today are done by other artists.

RBH

As we noted over the last week, WWE has been working on trying to bring in Brock Lesnar for a surprise appearance to build to a Wrestlemania 29 appearance. The negotiations are still going with one person saying that while the company wants it, they are looking at a Lesnar appearance this Sunday at "50/50" currently. The hope is they can get the deal done over the next 24 hours and get him to Miami for Sunday. Stay tuned.
-PWInsider Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom