• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
With The Rock Concert next week, and The Rock already being confirmed for Atlanta on 3/26, this means that The Rock is officially on every single Raw taping between now and April 2nd.

Well yeah. They got him to commit to it last year so Rock could shoot his shitty movies Tuesday-Sunday. I bet 1 milllllllion dollars WWE tried to get him to do a match last year but he couldn't come to every Raw hence the satellite crap.

Ah well, at least a new Raw means a new Best and Worst of Raw.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/03/the-best-and-worst-of-wwe-raw-3512#more-78688

I think I enjoy these more then the actual show most weeks. :)

Here’s the problem: for the longest time, Cena’s only talking point was “The Rock isn’t here”. That’s all he said for like six months. It’s what he used as the backbone of his speech a few weeks ago, too … that he’s here every week Entertaining You, The Fans and Rock is off somewhere drinking Mais Tai and getting blown by Vanessa Hudgens. Or Luiz Guzman, knowing Cena.

Anyway, Rock showed up and explained that by “I’ll never leave” he didn’t mean he’d never leave, he meant he’d leave SOMETIMES, and whatever, that’s fine, he’s a movie star and he’d be stupid to show up on Raw every time they need a fourth. Somewhere around then Cena decided to change up his talking points, and the Rock hasn’t recovered. Now Cena has all sorts of material — you’re never here PLUS you’re an out of touch movie star, plus you’re underestimating me, plus you speak in babytalk and you’re pretending to be the dude you were, because now you’re soft. Rock’s entire comeback, every single time, is “you look stupid and are gay”.

I think that nails a big part of the problem with this feud.

The other half is that there's no stakes to this thing. So Cena loses to the Rock, big fucking deal. Rock goes back to Hollywood, Cena goes back to being the biggest superstar in pro wrestling today. It's whatever.

ghostmind

Starting to think that it would have been better for the Rock, and better for Wrestlemania, if he just stayed with his movie career.

"The 3/5 edition of Raw did a 3.2 rating with 4,609,000 viewers. The show did hours of 3.27 and 3.19. "

pwinsider.com

So while viewership was down, the rating stayed the same as last week. Crazy how these ratings work.

ghostmind said:
Starting to think that it would have been better for the Rock, and better for Wrestlemania, if he just stayed with his movie career.

If Rock wasn't here Cena would be WWE champ or fighting for the belt at Mania. Do you want that? Rock vs Cena is better than anything else he could have done.

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm hoping now that the Rock legitimately injuries Cena at Wrestlemania and saves us from the inevitable Cena WWE championship match at the next ppv.

Remember when Cena WASN'T at TLC?

If Rock wasn't here Cena would be WWE champ or fighting for the belt at Mania. Do you want that? Rock vs Cena is better than anything else he could have done.
If Rock wasn't here, I'm pretty certain Undertaker vs. Cena would be happening. I can't say if that would be better, but I'm certain we wouldn't be getting a Deadman with notes on his wrists to put Cena "over."

If Rock wasn't here, I'm pretty certain Undertaker vs. Cena would be happening. I can't say if that would be better, but I'm certain we wouldn't be getting a Deadman with notes on his wrists to put Cena "over."

We'd probably get Cena undermining the entire Deadman gimmick by pointing out everything silly about it and how the entrance effects work, you know like he did with Del Rio and those cars that he rents without knowing the names of.
Also rising above supernatural gimmickry and no selling lightning strikes and responding to Taker teleporting into the ring with a goofy grin because it's not real guys!

Kaladin

Going off the ROH spoilers (which are still confusing on the matter) it looks like Blind Destiny on 3/31 is going to be:

Kevin Steen vs Eddie Edwards

Roderick Strong vs Jay Lethal

Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin

One of those matches will be a world title match, based on whoever wins Strong vs Edwards vs Richards the night before.

Again, this is going off some confusing spoilers....but it should be all cleared up on ROH tv this week.

watching some of the Rock/austin build from WMX7.

they should try look at this and model rock vs cena after it.

Nether man is the heel or face. Both just dont like each other and want to prove who is the best and nether man stands there with a big goofy smile on there face in the middle of a intense promo from the other guy.

Rock was still cracking a few jokes during that feud but when ever Austin was in the ring with him for a confrontation he put on his "its on" face and acted like he gave a shit.

Ah well, at least a new Raw means a new Best and Worst of Raw.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/03/the-best-and-worst-of-wwe-raw-3512#more-78688

I think I enjoy these more then the actual show most weeks. :)
If he’s trying the same act with Orton that he did with Cena he’s an idiot, because Orton’s whole deal is that he hates EVERYTHING, including his Mormon stable of wives, and is willing to RKO Stacy Keibler or kick John Cena’s dad in the head to prove a point. Contextually, Randy Orton is WAY more evil than Kane. It’s the difference between Walter White and Tuco. Tuco might flip out over nothing and punch you to death, sure, but at least he’s got the decency to be forthright and crazy about it. Walter White is a f**king monster.

Recommendation: Make Kane’s reason for beating up Randy Orton be “Christian needs one more title shot”.

This was perfect. His assessment of Cena/Rock was pretty inconsistent this week.

I'm hoping now that the Rock legitimately injuries Cena at Wrestlemania and saves us from the inevitable Cena WWE championship match at the next ppv.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cena/Punk pick it up again in Chicago. They're great foils for eachother.

G-Fex

HkaGn.jpg

ZeroRay

We'd probably get Cena undermining the entire Deadman gimmick by pointing out everything silly about it and how the entrance effects work, you know like he did with Del Rio and those cars that he rents without knowing the names of.
Also rising above supernatural gimmickry and no selling lightning strikes and responding to Taker teleporting into the ring with a goofy grin because it's not real guys!

Undertaker would legitimately kick his ass if he tried.

Kyoufu

Raw's rating for last night makes me want to move to planet Mars. That show did not deserve a 3.2 :/

At least the 2nd hour dropped a little, but still...

UberTag

Cena getting struck by lightning and no-selling it with a grin while his hair catches fire and smolders away would be the greatest thing ever.

If he's going to no-sell everything anyway, why NOT take it to a ludicrous extreme?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vince hotshot the title or something in the next week or two.
So who gets Punk's title? Cena or Trips? CM Punk vs. Y2J doesn't need the jewelry to still play out at 'Mania.

ghostmind

Cena getting struck by lightning and no-selling it with a grin while his hair catches fire and smolders away would be the greatest thing ever.

If he's going to no-sell everything anyway, why NOT take it to a ludicrous extreme?

They could package it as Cena suffering from brain damage from all those "I Quit" matches, and just grinning like an idiot while all this shit happens to him.

UberTag

They could package it as Cena suffering from brain damage from all those "I Quit" matches, and just grinning like an idiot while all this shit happens to him.
Just like the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

You could hack off all of Cena's limbs and he'd be no-selling everything, still rising above the hate and grinning like a schmuck the entire time.

"WWE Raw on Monday, March 5 scored a 3.25 rating, up from a 3.13 rating last week. Monday's episode featuring Shawn Michaels's TV return and latest from The Rock scored the same rating as Raw two weeks ago following Elimination Chamber and four weeks ago.

Despite the rating increasing, Raw's viewership declined 40,000 viewers (one percent) from last week's show.

Raw averaged 4.61 million viewers overall, down from 4.65 million viewers last week and 4.63 million viewers two weeks ago. Raw averaged 4.65 million first hour viewers, then declined in the second hour to an average of 4.57 million viewers.

It marked the third consecutive week and nine out of the last ten weeks that Raw's viewership declined in the second hour.

-- On cable TV Monday night, Raw ranked #3, trailing History Channel programming. Raw ranked #1 among males 18-34 and males 12-34, but continued to trail History in adult males 18-49. Among teen males 12-17, Raw sank to #5, scoring its lowest rating in the demo since January.

Compared to last week's show, Raw's demo ratings were up and down. Raw was down in adults 18-34 and younger male viewers. Among adults 18-49 & males 18-34, Raw was up slightly. The only significant increase was among males 18-49, which was up to its highest level since the night after the Royal Rumble in January.

-- The comparison to last year's ratings on March 7, 2011 is not good for 2012. The week after Rock made his big return to WWE, Raw scored a 3.92 rating and averaged 5.79 million viewers (well over one million more viewers in 2011 vs. 2012).

Raw's teen male rating was two full ratings points higher than this year's episode. Other demos show three-tenths of a ratings point difference in favor of 2011. The only key male demo showing improvement in 2012 is males 18-34."

pwtorch.com

Imagine if Monday Night RAW and Smackdown went over to HBO.

Whenever I watch Eastbound and Down, I can't help thinking it would have been 100 times better if Kenny Powers was a washed up pro wrestler instead of a baseball player. Hell, they already have Will Ferrel playing Ric Flair.

Kaladin

TNA IMPACT WRESTLING STAR COWBOY JAMES STORM’S “LONGNECKS AND REDNECKS” ENTRANCE MUSIC RELEASED TO RADIO THIS WEEK

Montgomery Gentry joins James Storm for video shoot

NASHVILLE, TN – (March 6, 2012) – TNA IMPACT WRESTLING star Cowboy James Storm’s entrance music “Longnecks and Rednecks,” is hitting country radio this week as superstars Montgomery Gentry join Storm in Columbia, Tennessee to shoot the music video. The song is performed by TNA Knockout Music Vice President Serg Salinas and is written by Salinas and Dale Oliver for Knockout Music Publishing. TNA IMPACT WRESTLING airs Thursday’s at 9:00pm ET on SPIKE TV.

Former World Heavyweight Champion and multi-time World Tag Team Champion Cowboy James Storm currently resides in Leiper’s Fork, Tennessee and grew up listening to country and southern rock music. When he approached his friends Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry of Montgomery Gentry to be a part of this video, the duo jumped in with both feet.

“I am thrilled that the guys had time in their schedule to be a part of the video,” says Storm. “We had a great time shooting and my other buddies Cowboy Troy and Sean Patrick McGraw joined us for the party. Even my wife made an appearance in the video,” he added.

This is the first time TNA Knockout Music has serviced a song to country radio and “Longnecks and Rednecks” is already receiving a lot of interest.

“The response to this song has been so overwhelming and fits James’ persona so perfectly, we felt like releasing it as a single and shooting a music video was a great way to expose James in a different way,” said TNA President Dixie Carter. “Having Montgomery Gentry, Cowboy Troy and Sean Patrick McGraw join us in the video truly made it a party,” she continued.

It's actually not a bad song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_QKylvAuRA

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So, Kobe Bryant puts on a mask and he starts playing even better. Now, I know people will say he's got a broken nose, but whatever. I think he got the idea from Kane.

If WWE issued a press release next week that as of April 1st all of their TV was going up to TV-14 or TV-MA would the ratings spike a bit just to draw interest? I know Mattel would never allow this to happen, just hypothetical.

Whenever I watch Eastbound and Down, I can't help thinking it would have been 100 times better if Kenny Powers was a washed up pro wrestler instead of a baseball player. Hell, they already have Will Ferrel playing Ric Flair.

Shut up and take my money.

Hyuga

Banned
Rock is about to lose this promo battle
Cena is killing the Rock lol
Cena wins again.
Sigh. I have a feeling Rock isn't gonna win a "confrontation" at all.

lmao

Alright! So we had a "bowing before Rock" Cena.....

q4hx5q4p.jpg

..... and a "laughing like an idiot" Cena....

vcnqtvzq.jpg

dlb2zprd.jpg

n5zy2wca.jpg

.... plus another "Rock is a real, strong and angry man... meanwhile I look like a little boy" Cena:

43tjt4rn.jpg

So not only did the Rock completely destroy Cena with his history lessons and his interview at the end..... even in reallife (yeah, I'm going that far) you would NEVER EVER believe that Cena had a chance against the Rock in a real fight.
And especially not after these promos and interviews this+last year.

Well, I'm not really a "The Rock" fan..... but how in the hell can anybody root against "The Rock" and for John "I bore you to death" Cena?

He truly IS.... The Rock's bitch!

G'night Wrestle-GAF ;)

dream

"WWE Raw on Monday, March 5 scored a 3.25 rating, up from a 3.13 rating last week. Monday's episode featuring Shawn Michaels's TV return and latest from The Rock scored the same rating as Raw two weeks ago following Elimination Chamber and four weeks ago.

Despite the rating increasing, Raw's viewership declined 40,000 viewers (one percent) from last week's show.

Raw averaged 4.61 million viewers overall, down from 4.65 million viewers last week and 4.63 million viewers two weeks ago. Raw averaged 4.65 million first hour viewers, then declined in the second hour to an average of 4.57 million viewers.

It marked the third consecutive week and nine out of the last ten weeks that Raw's viewership declined in the second hour.

-- On cable TV Monday night, Raw ranked #3, trailing History Channel programming. Raw ranked #1 among males 18-34 and males 12-34, but continued to trail History in adult males 18-49. Among teen males 12-17, Raw sank to #5, scoring its lowest rating in the demo since January.

Compared to last week's show, Raw's demo ratings were up and down. Raw was down in adults 18-34 and younger male viewers. Among adults 18-49 & males 18-34, Raw was up slightly. The only significant increase was among males 18-49, which was up to its highest level since the night after the Royal Rumble in January.

-- The comparison to last year's ratings on March 7, 2011 is not good for 2012. The week after Rock made his big return to WWE, Raw scored a 3.92 rating and averaged 5.79 million viewers (well over one million more viewers in 2011 vs. 2012).

Raw's teen male rating was two full ratings points higher than this year's episode. Other demos show three-tenths of a ratings point difference in favor of 2011. The only key male demo showing improvement in 2012 is males 18-34."

pwtorch.com

So, basically, what you're saying is RIP this wretched company?

So, basically, what you're saying is RIP this wretched company?

They have way too much money in the bank right now for it to happen any time soon, but the WWE Network, if it ever launches definitely will speed up the process. There is nothing they can do that will gain viewers back at this point honestly. They can only hope to slow or stop the decline they are experiencing right now at best. There is no hot angle that will save them. There is no larger than life superstar that will make people care again waiting in the wings. Their development system has some good wrestlers, but finding the next Lesnar or Kurt Angle will never happen, because those college athletes all want to go into MMA now. Their businesses are declining double digits year over year. Their ppv business was saved by Rock in 2011 just by appearing twice, once at Mania and once at Survivor Series. Most likely he will save it again with Mania this year. A likely Lesnar match next year will probably draw and help Mania. What after that? I see no turn around for them any time soon or the foreseeable future.

dream

I guess my question is this: if nobody gives a s about Dwayne, can we reasonably expect anyone to give a s about Brock? Is he really the hail mary here?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

wtf

where were you people in 04-05? Cena did this to Taker already. Cena was rapping in a circle of fire...pissing in a graveyard..talking about how Taker was attending funerals just to hit on the priest...That was actually the last set of promos that got Cena so over, the fans turned him face. It was the first time he did You Can't See Me.

NoRéN

wtf

where were you people in 04-05? Cena did this to Taker already. Cena was rapping in a circle of fire...pissing in a graveyard..talking about how Taker was attending funerals just to hit on the priest...That was actually the last set of promos that got Cena so over, the fans turned him face. It was the first time he did You Can't See Me.
Really? Missed a whole lot during those years.

wtf

I'm pretty sure that was back in '03, when 'Taker was still doing the biker gimmick, so pissing on those elements of the Undertaker's gimmick was probably less of a taboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom