• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any of his. I do have a bunch of old VHS. I should capture them digitally since these days it seems lots of stuff is censored/altered.
51688KGX0ZL._SS500_.jpg

5180KW5E04L._SS500_.jpg

512J3MS4Q1L._SS500_.jpg

huh. Even 2000 era WWF video tape covers look better then current ROH dvd covers.

Was photoshop even around during the attitude era?

XenoRaven

its the amount of passion ross puts into it. he can make everything so damn exciting to the point that i wonder why vince has a hard on not to use him.
I had a thought about this the other day watching an old clip with JR on commentary. I wonder if it's an attempt to make wrestling seem less like an attraction for toothless rednecks and more like a legitimate entertainment show. It would explain why they don't call it "wrestling" and why they don't have a good ol boy from Oklahoma on commentary.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
huh. Even 2000 era WWF video tape covers look better then current ROH dvd covers.

Was photoshop even around during the attitude era?

I can't tell you what they would have used or what the early versions of Photoshop were like, but Photoshop 1.0 was released in 1990 on mac. 2.5 on Windows in 92.

jmdajr

I had a thought about this the other day watching an old clip with JR on commentary. I wonder if it's an attempt to make wrestling seem less like an attraction for toothless rednecks and more like a legitimate entertainment show. It would explain why they don't call it "wrestling" and why they don't have a good ol boy from Oklahoma on commentary.

Yeah it sucks that it's come to that..

sure Jerry is there but totally neutered.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

id hate for that to be true. jr has something that doesnt exist in wrestling commentators in the west. when someone gets hit with a powerful move, he screams like the move killed him. when someone turns heel, the level of disgust that he displays makes you think the person turning spit in his face as well. he encourages the fans at home to feel more involved with the product. so when kain hits the ring and cleans house, hes yelling till his throat is sore, which i would think is favorable to the sheer silence that the current announcing crew has. i mean, could you imagine if jr was at ringside when nexus appeared and proceeded to tear the ring apart? he would have acted as though they were burning the stadium down with everyone inside.

I can't tell you what they would have used or what the early versions of Photoshop were like, but Photoshop 1.0 was released in 1990 on mac. 2.5 on Windows in 92.

I read a job opening they had back in the day, and IIRC, at the time, they used QuarkExpress, Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Freehand, and Photoshop and some other older legacy stuff. I think they switched to InDesign after the Attitude Era, because I've recognized some telltale InDesign cues over the years.

Oh, and this was so awesome...new .gif was needed:

iZPwdjcCa5neU.gif

Izick

thank plywood

edit: he did say he was sorry

PLYWOOD!

iNdFdUlRPhtbe.gif

But seriously though, that Dreamer gif was the reason it ended? Don't even know why Plywood apologized, because that gif wasn't that bad, but I can understand why the mod had to do what he had to do.

Either way I see both sides, and it's all cool. Let's all hug it out, bitches.

YFhjb.gif

Izick

Can someone explain the context of the Plywood .gif (TM) to me? Like, was his hand there?

Probably not, but it really looked like it was all up in her business, and she sold it.

Should he have labeled it NSFW? Probably, but I really don't think he did anything wrong.

Ithil

I expect AJ to cost Bryan the match at mania

I will be disappointed if Great White wins, I mean his merchandise can't be doing that well can it?

I'm assuming that Sheamus is going to win. It makes sense, he needs a World title win to get him out of the floundering limbo he's been in for months, and Bryan, as the cowardly heel who gets out of everything, needs to have someone stick it to him.

I'm not concerned about who wins at WM, and Sheamus is deserving of a face title run. What I am concerned about is the aftermath. I hope they realize Bryan is good material for the main event, and don't drop him back to mid card. I would say he's been a much bigger success as a cowardly heel champ than Miz or Del Rio were, surely he's earned some good will?

The obvious thing to me, is for Bryan to continue a feud with Sheamus past WM, and stay in the main event scene for the foreseeable future, even if he isn't champion. Maybe Barrett, when he's back in the summer, can take the title from Sheamus. Of course there's Orton to consider,too.

They have a nice little main event scene developing on SD (considering it's been a ghost town for six months with just Orton, Henry and Big Show, and Orton in mid card feuds). I just hope they realize it's developing.

Zack Ryder was in Berlin today to promote the upcoming tour in April and I got to interview him. It was a fun little chat, he came across as a very genuine guy who's really thankful for his recent success. We even shot a "very special" german episode of Z!, I'm looking forward to edit everything together.

http://twitpic.com/8tzr89

PS: Oh, and he WAS selling his injuries (ironically by walkling with a kane). :)

Germany? Wrestlers? Interviews?

Screw Ryder, have you met Das Wunderkind, Alex Wright?

UberTag

I'm assuming that Sheamus is going to win. It makes sense, he needs a World title win to get him out of the floundering limbo he's been in for months, and Bryan, as the cowardly heel who gets out of everything, needs to have someone stick it to him.

I'm not concerned about who wins at WM, and Sheamus is deserving of a face title run. What I am concerned about is the aftermath. I hope they realize Bryan is good material for the main event, and don't drop him back to mid card. I would say he's been a much bigger success as a cowardly heel champ than Miz or Del Rio were, surely he's earned some good will?

The obvious thing to me, is for Bryan to continue a feud with Sheamus past WM, and stay in the main event scene for the foreseeable future, even if he isn't champion. Maybe Barrett, when he's back in the summer, can take the title from Sheamus. Of course there's Orton to consider,too.
Best case scenario for Bryan is to lose at Mania, keep AJ as his squeeze, lose the rematch at Backlash, get drafted along with AJ to RAW and insert himself into the CM Punk / Y2J WWE title program.

Ziggler needs to get drafted to Smackdown and separated from Vickie in the process. He should then win the Money in the Bank ladder match.

Ithil

I don't get why WWE are this hung up on Cena. They haven't done this "build the entire company around one man" thing since Hulk Hogan, and that was a very different time in wrestling.

The sheer lack of logic (what if Cena was badly injured, like a neck injury, and out for a year?) in refusing to make any new stars or push people or do anything other than push a face Cena baffles me. They never used to show this amount of stupidity. Even when it was one guy at the top like Stone Cold they were busy making new stars like Rock or HHH to come up too. Nowadays they give half hearted pushes to Ziggler or Barrett or whoever but never really commit (and have been doing it for years).

CM Punk is the first legit main event star they've made in years (since the wave of Cena, Batista, Orton, Edge, etc breaking into the main event). Others like Miz or Del Rio got pushes but they booked them so badly they turned out shit.

Simply, what gives? It's not like they're lacking for talent. They have a host of people on SD and RAW, and also in development in FCW that could easily be main eventers and win over crowds. In fact their roster, in terms of pure wrestling talent, hasn't been this good in a long, long time.

They need a major shake-up. Vince never used to be this illogical about his own company.

Ithil

Best case scenario for Bryan is to lose at Mania, keep AJ as his squeeze, lose the rematch at Backlash, get drafted along with AJ to RAW and insert himself into the CM Punk / Y2J WWE title program.

Ziggler needs to get drafted to Smackdown and separated from Vickie in the process. He should then win the Money in the Bank ladder match.

I don't know about Ziggler yet, there's definitely no room for him on RAW, but they've actually just named Vickie's stable at long last as American Perfection, so I think they're planning to keep Ziggler and Swagger together for another while, and possibly as a tag team. I have absolutely no clue where Punk is to go after WM (I think it's all but guaranteed he's beating Jericho at WM). I hope it's not fucking Cena again.

Bryan moving to RAW could be a lot of fun. RAW is lacking in good top level heels, while SD is overflowing with them.

UberTag

CM Punk is the first legit main event star they've made in years (since the wave of Cena, Batista, Orton, Edge, etc breaking into the main event). Others like Miz or Del Rio got pushes but they booked them so badly they turned out shit.
The greatest part about this fact is that CM Punk had to threaten to leave and not renew his contract in order to force the WWE's reluctant hand to decisively elevate him.

And even then Triple H had to insert himself into Punk's hottest angle to show him who was boss and effectively suck all of the heat Phillip Brooks had built for himself during his contract re-negotiation. He was only elevated in spite of what the WWE hierarchy intended for him... not because of it.

somedevil

I'm just amazed how well they created the Daniel Bryan heel character. Perfectly book plus his great promos and AJ gave him incredible heat. It also created the Yes chant that is now starting to catch on in the crowds. Whoever is behind this needs more power.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
PLYWOOD!

iNdFdUlRPhtbe.gif

But seriously though, that Dreamer gif was the reason it ended? Don't even know why Plywood apologized, because that gif wasn't that bad, but I can understand why the mod had to do what he had to do.
I was apologizing to all of midnight wrassle-gaf for ruining the fun.
It's ECW, what do you think?
There was another .gif of a near-nude japanese wrestler dryhumping another japanese wrestler earlier in the thread so I figured that mine wouldn't be a game changer.

Ross did more in that little rant to get me hyped for the match than Michael Cole has done the entire time announcing.

Someway, somehow, Ross has to get the call either Rock/Cena or Taker/HHH II. I don't give a shit if it's just out of the blue, I'd really like him to call one of those two matches.

somedevil

Wai Ting and John Pollock will be at Miami during the Wrestlemania week with all the shows. So there is a chance anyone who goes can see them and get on there podcast and possibly the law on Sunday.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
My mistake it's sec 215. I'm basically in the middle of the stadium. I think my view is going to be pretty sweet.

Yep, I've been to the stadium a few times before. Club level isn't bad at all, and you should be in a great spot to see the action and the entrances. Good choice.

Ithil

I'm just amazed how well they created the Daniel Bryan heel character. Perfectly book plus his great promos and AJ gave him incredible heat. It also created the Yes chant that is now starting to catch on in the crowds. Whoever is behind this needs more power.

It's Smackdown, the writers lately have gotten a lot more freedom because Vince already cared a lot less about it than RAW, but in recent months is too wiped out after RAW to interfere much with Smackdown the next day.

The writing is noticeably more consistent in Smackdown, with simple, fairly logical feuds and no flip flipping of characters. They quite slowly created Bryan's heel character over the course of several months. That Bryan has taken to it like Big Show to a pizza doesn't hurt.

Wai Ting and John Pollock will be at Miami during the Wrestlemania week with all the shows. So there is a chance anyone who goes can see them and get on there podcast and possibly the law on Sunday.

Awesome! I have to tell Wai to stop being so mopey sounding all the time.

Yep, I've been to the stadium a few times before. Club level isn't bad at all, and you should be in a great spot to see the action and the entrances. Good choice.

Awesome news! I was hoping I picked a good one. Thanks for letting me know.

Ithil

The greatest part about this fact is that CM Punk had to threaten to leave and not renew his contract in order to force the WWE's reluctant hand to decisively elevate him.

And even then Triple H had to insert himself into Punk's hottest angle to show him who was boss and effectively suck all of the heat Phillip Brooks had built for himself during his contract re-negotiation. He was only elevated in spite of what the WWE hierarchy intended for him... not because of it.

Oh, absolutely they still nearly fucked it up and damaged his potential push a huge amount. In the end they got a bona fide main event superstar out of it, but like I've said several times, they could have had the next Stone Cold on their hands. It's like they don't even WANT a new megastar, because he'd overshadow Cena. They had to sabotage Punk's rise to only be to the main event, and not megastar level.

The weirdest part about the whole problem is that none of it is Cena's doing or fault. People like Hogan did everything to stay on top and hold others down, but Cena's never done that, he does what he's told and doesn't complain. If they'd decided to push Punk over him, as they should have, he'd have been totally ok with it.

Looks like I made the right decision to play Mass Effect 3 last night.

The weirdest part about the whole problem is that none of it is Cena's doing or fault. People like Hogan did everything to stay on top and hold others down, but Cena's never done that, he does what he's told and doesn't complain. If they'd decided to push Punk over him, as they should have, he'd have been totally ok with it.
Yeah, he's probably the only megastar in the WWE I can think of that hasn't done a single asshole-ish thing. I have to wonder if that character trait is a part of the problem. Such as with his interactions with the WWE Creative too, he'll probably just do whatever they say without question.

Looks like I made the right decision to play Mass Effect 3 last night.

Yeah, he's probably the only megastar in the WWE I can think of that hasn't done a single asshole-ish thing. I have to wonder if that character trait is a part of the problem. Such as with his interactions with the WWE Creative too, he'll probably just do whatever they say without question.

I think I heard a while back that he pushed hard for the WWE to go PG, don't know how reliable the news was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom