• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

korly

Damn, I didn't realize the crowd was so much more solidly behind Naito over Okada. I expected more of a split.

In related news, the new Rocky Romero album just hit Bandcamp a few hours ago. $6.

klonere

Banned
Naito is the PEOPLE'S champ. But Okada is still my fav.

This has great avatar potential for someone:

C6STHz8VMAA_mKQ.jpg

Damn, I didn't realize the crowd was so much more solidly behind Naito over Okada. I expected more of a split.

Korakuen's generally the smarkiest crowd in Japan. You can pretty much guarantee they'll root for the underdog or anti-authority figure. It'd be much more even at the Dome or Ryogoku, and pro-Okada in Osaka.

klonere

Banned
It'll never happen but a one off Dragon Gate appearance by LIJ for a unit vs unit match would dope. They could totally pull it off as well.

It'll never happen but a one off Dragon Gate appearance by LIJ for a unit vs unit match would dope. They could totally pull it off as well.

LIJ vs Jimmyz would be amazing, especially in Korakuen - crowd wouldn't know who to cheer for! I'd probably go for VerserK vs LIJ though, just for EVIL and Shingo going at it.

Ha ha ha omg

At the NJ Cup Press Conference Yujiro Takahashi tells Juice Robinson he's going to "beat him up like this boob" and then grabs his valet's breast while staring down Juice Robinson... fucking hell lol.

Ha ha ha omg

At the NJ Cup Press Conference Yujiro Takahashi tells Juice Robinson he's going to "beat him up like this boob" and then grabs his valet's breast while staring down Juice Robinson... fucking hell lol.

oy

Cyrus was creepin on commentary yesterday as well, at least when Corino did it it felt like a bit.

Damn I can't find the footage of Suzuki beating up the young lion they kept talking about (Kawato?) I thought it was at the press conference but all I saw was Suzuki kicking a chair.

orioto

Good Art™
There is basically nothing i'm hyped for at that mania...

The JeriKO feud was killed in one RAW. This is now a random us title match and the whole story means nothing. Nothing has weight anymore.

I mean Owens would do anything to keep the belt. He lost it cause of Jericho and he's barely pissed. He won't be authorized to talk to Goldberg anymore and now wants Jericho's us title, right.. Character motivations = dead.

They didn't even kept them separate to play the tension card. Owens didn't even assaulted Jericho backstage or something. 6 month of feud for nothing.

WWE ruins everything.

And their match, probably a traditional one, won't be that good, you know it.

The JeriKO feud was killed in one RAW. This is now a random us title match and the whole story means nothing. Nothing has weight anymore.

I mean Owens would do anything to keep the belt. He lost it cause of Jericho and he's barely pissed. He won't be authorized to talk to Goldberg anymore and now wants Jericho's us title, right.. Character motivations = dead.

They didn't even kept them separate to play the tension card. Owens didn't even assaulted Jericho backstage or something. 6 month of feud for nothing.

WWE ruins everything.

This over the top hate for a pretty hot promo that advanced not killed the story is one thing. The immediate assumption that the match is going to suck too for no reason is something else...

Honest question... why watch if WWE can turn you off and set you off that easily?

Like no offense but Owens' promo and his match after literally adresses everything you mention here.

Hasney

WWE ruins everything.

It's more Raw ruins everything. There is no reason why they couldn't have teased things out longer and told some stories instead of cementing everything and having 5 weeks of nothing but tiring build to the obvious.

I mean, Smackdown had their last PPV before Mania earlier and we still don't know in kayfabe if it will be Orton or AJ until the match tonight. Even then I don't think it will be wrapped up in a tidy little bow, especially when they need some semblance of a mistake on Shanes part to solidify that match.

I just got home from a board game night at my friend's place so I missed tonight's NJPW show. Will give it a watch in the morning! I hope it was good and everyone had fun watching it!

kiguel182

Starting Raw now. Seeing the reaction to Jericho makes me sad he isn't main-eventing Mania with Owens.

I really wish they just got rid of part-timers. Just let Mania be for the guys that are there all year long.

This year is especially bad since the main match is between guys that barely show up when there's more than enough talent and storylines worth of that spot.

It's more Raw ruins everything. There is no reason why they couldn't have teased things out longer and told some stories instead of cementing everything and having 5 weeks of nothing but tiring build to the obvious.

I mean, Smackdown had their last PPV before Mania earlier and we still don't know in kayfabe if it will be Orton or AJ until the match tonight. Even then I don't think it will be wrapped up in a tidy little bow, especially when they need some semblance of a mistake on Shanes part to solidify that match.

There's 3 raws left before Mania not 5.

Lothar

Banned
It sucks that Jericho/Owens is now a meaningless match. It being for the US title makes it so much worse than if it was for no title at all. Don't they realize that? It's an insult to both of them. If Owens wins the match and wins the title, he is just getting rewarded with a huge demotion. This is match where it would be better for each of them to not win. Whoever wins is the loser. Since they now have a shitty midcard title cementing them as a midcard wrestler.

All the final moments of Raw made me think were that Braun could actually benefit from beating Taker at Mania, but I somehow now have even less interest in seeing lumbering old man fighting hero who nobody likes.

I accept that Roman can have good matches. But he usually needs somebody who'll work with him, pushing him, I think. Taker won't. He'll be there, hobbling around with his fake hip (which will need protecting, remember - no massive spears for him!) until Roman wins. Best hope they've got is the heel turn. Best hope. Otherwise, it'll be biggest squib of the night.

Tell you what: I wouldn't hate it if they made it a triple threat with Braun. THREE BIG MEN! LOOK AT THEM HIT EACH OTHER!

orioto

Good Art™
This over the top hate for a pretty hot promo that advanced not killed the story is one thing. The immediate assumption that the match is going to suck too for no reason is something else...

Honest question... why watch if WWE can turn you off and set you off that easily?

Like no offense but Owens' promo and his match after literally adresses everything you mention here.

Owens promo was good but when they started talking lightly about putting the us belt in the balance it ruined everything. Cause that wasn't about that.

That was basically :
Owens: I used you, i never was your friend, i betrayed you and left you for dead
Jericho: I cost you the thing you want the most in your life!

Both: Oh ok it's fine let's feud over the the us title and have fun together in the ring with Sami and Joe wouhou!

At that point i wouldn't be completly surprised if they just put Joe and Sami in there for a fatal 4 way at mania lol.

It's more you cost me my title now I'm taking yours.

Now yes the US title not being treated great since Reigns won it hurts it a bit but the sentiment is logical and maybe just maybe they can work at repairing the rep of the US belt through this.

Look I believe this should have been our Mania Universal Title match but it's not so it's time to move forward.

I fundamentally disagree that just because the US belt is involved that the program is now generic.

Both: Oh ok it's fine let's feud over the the us title and have fun together in the ring with Sami and Joe wouhou!

At that point i wouldn't be completly surprised if they just put Joe and Sami in there for a fatal 4 way at mania lol.

I mean there was none of this implied levity in this segment at all.

And there's nothing indicating even a hint that this isn't a one on one brawl.

orioto

Good Art™
It's more you cost me my title now I'm taking yours.

Now yes the US title not being treated great since Reigns won it hurts it a bit but the sentiment is logical and maybe just maybe they can work at repairing the rep of the US belt through this.

Look I believe this should have been our Mania Universal Title match but it's not so it's time to move forward.

I fundamentally disagree that just because the US belt is involved that the program is now generic.

Cause a strong story is better than a belt and the belt makes it about itself more than the story.

But i's more about them not playing the crazy tensed drama feud that they should do. They are in a light hearted feud where they will have tag team matches next week to tease their match.. That's generic and tepid.

The only good thing about that is that they may think let's give Owens the US title after mania so he can still be relevant.

Cause a strong story is better than a belt and the belt makes it about itself more than the story.

But i's more about them not playing the crazy tensed drama feud that they should do. They are in a light hearted feud where they will have tag team matches next week to tease their match.. That's generic and tepid.

The only good thing about that is that they may think let's give Owens the US title after mania so he can still be relevant.

There was nothing light hearted about that segment... the belt is part of the story. The story is Owens let Jericho walk away from FoF but at Mania he's going to murder him and take his belt (because Jericho stole his) and his life.

And now your fantasy booking next week to justify being mad today

You don't know what is going to happen next week. You don’t know that there's going to be a tepid tag match. You're raging at things that haven't happened yet and might not even ever happen.

Another issue is the US title is hardly relevant. The last US champ barely defended it and barely even brought it out to the ring.

And maybe they can fix it through Owens. He was a fighting Universal Champ maybe he can be a fighting US champ.

Like if you want the title to mean something you shouldn't mad when they try to make it mean something.

Zach

Picture%2B2.png

Link: http://network.wwe.com/video/v32286...ype=wwe-show&contextId=clash_of_the_champions
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu...lanchard-vs-lex-luger-and-barry-windham_sport

Clash of the Champions I (3/27/1988): Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard (c) vs. Barry Windham and Lex Luger for the NWA Tag-Team Titles

Just watch it for the end of the match. The crowd starts going insane.
Insane how? I've watched the match but I don't remember. Are they into it, or angry, or wha?

Either way, this is my kind of post!

And maybe they can fix it through Owens. He was a fighting Universal Champ maybe he can be a fighting US champ.

Like if you want the title to mean something you shouldn't mad when they try to make it mean something.

I agree with you and I hope that is what they are trying to do.

I'm just saying, the US title got built up heaps for Rusev vs Cena, the Cena had an awesome run with it, then it was treated like garbage. So it is kind of hard to care about it as a title because of how they treated it.

If anyone can save it and make it seem important, because it doesn't seem that way now, it would be Owens and Jericho.

Doesn't it make sense for KO to put off his rematch because he knows he has no chance vs Berg or Brock right now?

I don't know about Johnny Nitro as ECW Champion...

I thought he did a pretty good job as champ despite how dire that incarnation of ECW was. It was a shame when he fucked it up with a wellness violation.

Doesn't it make sense for KO to put off his rematch because he knows he has no chance vs Berg or Brock right now?

I thought they were going to ignore the rematch thing because they often do, but they addressed it pretty well I think. Owens driven by emotion would rather fuck over Jericho than get his title back.

I agree with you and I hope that is what they are trying to do.

I'm just saying, the US title got built up heaps for Rusev vs Cena, the Cena had an awesome run with it, then it was treated like garbage. So it is kind of hard to care about it as a title because of how they treated it.

If anyone can save it and make it seem important, because it doesn't seem that way now, it would be Owens and Jericho.

Yah I get that.

And yes if anyone can it's these two. So here's hoping

Yep.

I like Santino's look and music. :O

You mean RAW/Smackdown!/etc.? Nah. Well, not 99% of the time. Just PPVs since around the death of the Invasion angle.

Yeah, I meant like are you going to catch the ECW TV post Nitro winning the title. I can't remember what his promos on those episodes were like myself but I seem to remember everyone being quite high on them.

Zach

Yeah, I meant like are you going to catch the ECW TV post Nitro winning the title. I can't remember what his promos on those episodes were like myself but I seem to remember everyone being quite high on them.
Nah. I'm sure I'll catch some stuff on PPV recaps, though.

I am going to die never seeing this Death of Vince McMahon angle play out! I want to see Rod McMahon, dang it!

We have Orton/Bray, AJ/Shane (lol), Dean/Corbin, Cena/Brie vs Miz/Maryse,

is Bliss even getting a match? Will the Usos get the tag match?

This is going to be an exhausting Mania

Aiii

So not worth it
Got the post-Mania week off.

And got a Sky Sports subscription.

So I guess I'll watch Mania and Monday's Nakamerica's debut with you guys.

Mahonay

Banned
Review a Raw had another great episode. Pollock I think is my fav wrestling analyst, he's critical without being cynical
Will have to give it a listen today.

Skipped Review-a-Smackdown last week, because the NXT guy that sat in for Wai was insufferable and seemed to encourage the most annoying parts of Pollock. Got like 10-15 minutes in and just made a loud "bahhhhhh" and turned it off.

Top Bottom