• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

jmdajr

Honest question, is there any Goldberg match that is actually good? I don't remember any any it's not because I dislike the character, I just can't think of any. I'd love to watch one though.

By today's standards I suppose we would think no. But Goldberg has been pretty humble about the whole situation.

It sounds cliche but the match just needs to tell a decent story. It doesn't need that many moves. The Brock and Taker match was memorable for shit like this.

giphy.gif

Kaladin

So you don't think it's important than this match is being centered around a nothing belt that's far beneath both guys? Feuding over garbage makes the feud garbage.

Woah now. Chris Jericho won the US title as it's the one belt in WWE that has eluded him, that's why he has it.

They're not really feuding over the belt. KO said the belt is beneath him. KO wants to take Jericho's belt away from him just because he blames Jericho for costing him the match against Goldberg. It's bigger than the belt. It's a feud for a mid card belt done right.

Back then, they could write around the lack of talent with Vince, I'm not sure they can these days.

Also your boss being the face isn't great.

I mean for all we know this turns AJ face....

Because again he's completely in the right. There is something compelling about watching heels who are in the right. It's the theme of this Mania season imo, Charlotte is in the right, Miz is in the right, AJ is in the right.

oo7

The IWC is funny shitting on Goldberg. Just goes to show how shitty the current product is when an old WCW guy can come in and shit all over these guys who have been putting the work in for the past few years. Just because you're dedicated and put in time does not mean you're over or deserve a spot. You can't teach it. And Goldberg has IT. 75% of the current roster does not have it, they don't even know what IT is.

IT!

Heroman

Banned
Oh come on

Shane had a match with Undertaker last year, he was part of the Survivor series team this year...

Like come on the dude isn't a day in day out wrestler but he's not Dana White or Roger Goodell... And the WWE isn't the NFL or or even UFC....

Shit the Attitude Era was all about fighting your boss....

But now it doesn't make sense?
It made no sense when promoters with no wrestling experience wrestle wrestlers. It take me out of the match, it would be like Takaaki Kidani fight Natio it makes no sense. Like why would anyone choose Shane to be on there SS team. It makes sense if Shane gets squash in like 1 minute but he won't because he want to play wreslter hell he had like a 30-minute match with Undertaker.

It made no sense when promoters with no wrestling experience wrestle wrestlers. It take me out of the match, it would be like Takaaki Kidani fight Natio it makes no sense. Like why would anyone choose Shane to be on there SS team.

Well technically Shane put himself on it lol... and again Shane has wrestling experience... he's had matches with a ton of guys back in he day....

Like it's not like this is literally Shane's first match...

Like again I'm not saying you have to like it but I object to the idea that there hasn't been solid logic laid out behind the build.

Mahonay

Banned
The IWC is funny shitting on Goldberg. Just goes to show how shitty the current product is when an old WCW guy can come in and shit all over these guys who have been putting the work in for the past few years. Just because you're dedicated and put in time does not mean you're over or deserve a spot. You can't teach it. And Goldberg has IT. 75% of the current roster does not have it, they don't even know what IT is.

IT!
tenor.gif

jmdajr

IT!

Goldberg said in an interview he was like no shape to be having a match with Brock the first time around. The squash match was the best possible outcome. I know people are pissed about the KO match, but after squashing Brock it was a forgone conclusion.

Yeah, I'm going to be disappointed if they don't at least try to put on something decent. But the truth is I actually feel something . Maybe it's just anxiety of something going terribly wrong, but there is a hype factor.

The nature and structure of WWE programming intentionally encourages constant discussion like this: it's random, frustrating, constant and accessible. The talking points remain the same, making posting a rote, reactionary and reflexive task.

The endless feed of content means these talking points are constantly refreshed (I'm sure you don't need me to list them). Most people have a personal history with the company, mostly rooted in the AE so there is always a connection, a spark to say something about the product.

Then when they do something right, it energizes the average hatewatcher enough to knuckle down and continue watching for another however many months. Sometimes the gap between those moments is too long and they drop off.

This isn't possible with other feds - the only company that runs half as regularly with anything approaching the same production standard of WWE is Japanese, which is a massive style and language barrier. There is no effective competition, meaning WWE will always dominate discussion then, now and forever.

this is a Very Good Post™

that said, i feel like there's so much indy stuff these days you could load a schedule up with almost as much content/week (if you only take the main shows)

Goldberg said in an interview he was like no shape to be having a match with Brock the first time around. The squash match was the best possible outcome. I know people are pissed about the KO match, but after squashing Brock it was a forgone conclusion.

Yeah, I'm going to be disappointed if they don't at least try to put on something decent. But the truth is I actually feel something . Maybe it's just anxiety of something going terribly wrong, but there is a hype factor.

It would be awesome if they just did the Summerslam Lesnar vs Cena match with Goldberg in the Cena roll...

Like seeing Goldberg just dismantled would be an attraction we've never ever seen.

And it would be cool as it would prove Owens right, that if you can just keep Goldberg from hitting you hard and fast he'll fall apart.

Kaladin

Chris Jericho is the absolute best at taking his catch phrases and getting his shit in in inventive ways.

Script it in maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Hasney

IT!

IT is sweating while standing still

Caderfix

By today's standards I suppose we would think no. But Goldberg has been pretty humble about the whole situation.

It sounds cliche but the match just needs to tell a decent story. It doesn't need that many moves. The Brock and Taker match was memorable for shit like this.

giphy.gif

Oh, yeah. I totally agree with that.

DDP at Halloween Havoc 1998 and Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000.

Will check those out, thanks :)

Fuck Goldberg
Fuck Lesnar

That's my feeling as of late

Chris Jericho is the absolute best at taking his catch phrases and getting his shit in in inventive ways.

Script it in maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Fans of Jericho, Cheer me on maaaaaaaaaan

Knife in the back of Jericho twist it in maaaaaan

Both with different and pitch perfect inflections was great last night.

IT!
Just a lot of bitch boys bitching because their indy heroes who can't get over or draw 20 k people aren't main eventing.

Heroman

Banned
Well technically Shane put himself on it lol... and again Shane has wrestling experience... he's had matches with a ton of guys back in he day....

Like it's not like this is literally Shane's first match...

Like again I'm not saying you have to like it but I object to the idea that there hasn't been solid logic laid out behind the build.

Shane vs Aj ,one of the greatest wreslter in the world, in a competitive match has no logic behind it. Because the idea of the matchup has no logic behind it in the first place.

Shane vs Aj ,one of the greatest wreslter in the world, in a competitive match has no logic behind it. Because the idea of the matchup has no logic behind it in the first place.

Again the story and build has great logic (I am definitely more interested in that match than I ever expected to be because of the story and build), the way the actual match is booked I agree likely won't, those are not the same thing.

Lothar

Banned
Woah now. Chris Jericho won the US title as it's the one belt in WWE that has eluded him, that's why he has it.

They're not really feuding over the belt. KO said the belt is beneath him. KO wants to take Jericho's belt away from him just because he blames Jericho for costing him the match against Goldberg. It's bigger than the belt. It's a feud for a mid card belt done right.

I think it hurts them to act like that belt means anything. Jericho should throw that belt in the river like Austin threw the IC title in the river.

For part of Jericho's feud in 2008 with HBK, Jericho was IC champion for a while. But HBK never actually wanted to take the title away from him. They didn't fight over it. That would have diminished their storyline by even spending any time at at all talking about such a low important prize.

klonere

Banned

IT!

As someone who watched his first wrestling match 3 years ago, Goldberg looks like a potato dad who is playacting as a wrestler, fucks up promos and bursts into an exhausted sweat walking down the ramp.

The stare-down between him, Brock and Taker looked like a bunch over overrripe mid-life crisis white dudes cosplaying as wrestlers. The "IT" you are talking about is that spark you felt when you were a kid watching WCW or AE stuff. He doesn't have jackshit except a name and some of the most insanely strong booking of all time.

Beefy

Fuck Jericho

”Coach Demott told student Enzo Amore that he hopes he dies. I have seen Enzo on several occasions be slapped in the face by Bill. During one practice he decided to show Enzo how doing a slam wrong could hurt someone, so he picked Enzo up and dropped him without warning directly on his head and neck."

Demott constantly refers to Oliver Gray as Joel Pedophile"

”Demott also told our entire morning class and Ricky Steamboat's class to kill themselves just days after we tolled the ring bell 10 times for the late Mike Graham a former star FCW wrestler, who committed suicide."

Damn

Kaladin

I think it hurts them to act like that belt means anything. Jericho should throw that belt in the river like Austin threw the IC title in the river.

For part of Jericho's feud in 2008 with HBK, Jericho was IC champion for a while. But HBK never actually wanted to take the title away from him. They didn't fight over it. That would have diminished their storyline by even spending any time at at all talking about such a low important prize.

The feud is making the belt mean something, which is as it should be. Jericho took something away from Kevin. So Kevin wants to take something away from Jericho. Jericho and HBK never fought for Jericho's IC title because HBK didn't have a reason to go after it. KO does. It's personal. He wants to take from Chris just like Chris took from him.

The US title is also important to the story because you could argue that Chris Jericho wouldn't be US Champion without KO. The feud is about the title, but it's more than the title at the same time.

Mahonay

Banned
Yup. Demott had been a rotten sack of shit and abusing trainees for years upon years with out WWE doing anything about it. The hammer finally dropped on him as tons of former students Tweeted their awful experiences with him, and then Jericho decided this was the perfect time to proclaim his fondness for Demott.

Beefy

Yup. Demott had been a rotten sack of shit and abusing trainees for years upon years with out WWE doing anything about it. The hammer finally dropped on him as tons of former students Tweeted their awful experiences with him, and then Jericho decided this was the perfect time to proclaim his fondness for Demott.

Just adds to the don't idolise any one you don't know personally. Why I basically judge most sports/entertainment stars as being scum until they prove otherwise.

Sephzilla

Just adds to the don't idolise any one you don't know personally. Why I basically judge most sports/entertainment stars as being scum until they prove otherwise.

Yep. You'll inevitably be crushed once you learn your idol is a piece of crap

Switch is fantastic. Zelda is fantastic despite framerate issues.

The whole "you can't move saves off the system even though its a cartridge based system" is dumb as hell though.

Despite the fact that they did call him this for a bit during his biker phase, hearing Cole refer to Deadman Taker as the original big dawg irked me.

So does KO not want to use his rematch clause?
I bet they'll bring this up AFTER mania, exepct it to be blown through as a Raw main event.

Shit flag though 😛
We need a Neville edition, they forgot about Neville!

Ok. Now seriously, maybe we should retire the "Fuck ______" thing for a while?

Considering it's mostly used as the content of an entire post I think we can live without it.

And I'm onto you folks thinking you can cheat the system with a Noam Dar impression "Alicia FUUUUUUUUCKS...HHH"

Lothar

Banned
The feud is making the belt mean something, which is as it should be. Jericho took something away from Kevin. So Kevin wants to take something away from Jericho. Jericho and HBK never fought for Jericho's IC title because HBK didn't have a reason to go after it. KO does. It's personal. He wants to take from Chris just like Chris took from him.

The US title is also important to the story because you could argue that Chris Jericho wouldn't be US Champion without KO. The feud is about the title, but it's more than the title at the same time.

Maybe Jericho found a penny on the ground because Owens pointed it out to him and he wouldn't have found that penny on the ground if it wasn't for Owens, but so what? It's a penny. KO wanting to take Jericho's penny away is silly. What a silly feud. I'm not excited about the possibility that their feud will raise the importance of the penny.

Top Bottom