• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

I wonder how much of that 7 hours will be Goldberg vs Lesnar. Like of the 7 hours I wonder what percentnage of time it will take from the whole show. I suppose they scrapped the idea of wanting a good match to close the show too. Welp.

I also remembered WWE signed Evie. Their women's divisiom will be insanely good by the end of the year from the sound of it.

Toki767

Just keep in mind.

Last year Mania was like 6 and a half hours long when when you included the pre-show.

And even then, they went over.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, any and all conspiracies about Nakamura being upset about his position are completely destroyed by the fact that he is actively recruiting Japanese talent to WWE.
He's getting paid main roster money to do nothing

According to CagesideSeats:

A) Roman is not turning heel

B) WM will be a 7 hour show

Lol

Keep in mind, CagesideSeats doesn't actually report anything. They just gather up rumors from the internet and throw them out in an article each day. They even go so far as to do "accuracy reports" every so often.

Though I don't need a source to tell you WM will be 7 hours. It was last year too.

Menome

7 hours is insane.

And that's just watching it at home that sounds insane. At least on my sofa/bed I can change seating position, pop off for a toilet break in a minute or so, grab drinks/food as needed.

Imagine being actually there for over seven hours.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He's getting paid main roster money to do nothing

That match with Roode was great tho :(

Edit: also on WM, ill be watching at work as usual but ill most likely miss the firstbhour or two and will probably miss the last hour or two also lol.

And that's just watching it at home that sounds insane. At least on my sofa/bed I can change seating position, pop off for a toilet break in a minute or so, grab drinks/food as needed.

Imagine being actually there for over seven hours.

That's the main reason I didn't buy a ticket. It's too much.

Oh God, I just got to the Billie Kay injury. Why would they air the aftermath of this?
Because it's a late work to sell the finisher to be able to stop Asuka if used. Possibly could lead to an eventual kayfabe banning of it at the behest of Billie and Peyton.

lol at the poor continuity between the match and the Regal segment. I wonder how many takes they did with that because it looked like they did it once called it good enough. Again on rehashing the Ember Moon gimmick issues, it does feel directionless and it's something that's been a failure at presenting exactly what's being going for with it. She has charisma but what she's doing now isn't really showing it.

Wow. From Meltzer:
Meltz says Io Shirai is still reconsidering and that she's coming to the US for Mania weekend

Please say no, that'd be a huge blow for Stardom...

It would be but on the they've probably done all they can do to help grow Stardom and how long do they stick around before doing what's best for them? Their leaving opens the door for a lot of other women to step up a chance to run with the ball, if losing them means the end of Stardom then Stardom is on incredibly shaking ground to begin with and doesn't say a lot about their fan base in Japan.

I selfishly look forward to the prospect of both of them coming to NXT, for them they'll both get more widely known, make more money for the most part work a style that is "easy mode" compared to Japan even when taking the possibly eventual main roster schedule into consideration. It also makes me want Asuka to stay in NXT longer to either work with them (I'm aware of the alleged heat between her and Io) before she goes.

NXY women's roster is going to be ridiculously stacked, maybe more than the men's by the time that tournament rolls along.

I wonder how much of that 7 hours will be Goldberg vs Lesnar. Like of the 7 hours I wonder what percentnage of time it will take from the whole show. I suppose they scrapped the idea of wanting a good match to close the show too. Welp.

I also remembered WWE signed Evie. Their women's divisiom will be insanely good by the end of the year from the sound of it.

Yeah, along with Nixon Newell at the same time Heidi Lovelace and Kimber Lee were signed though it looks like Lovelace/Ruby Riot is might be the first to appear on NXT TV as a signed talent.

Jamie OD

Looks like Kairi and Stardom are on bad terms now too, claiming she misled management.

And Io Shirai said in an interview this week she can't talk about the WWE rumours but admitted she isn't denying them. Add to that the Iwatani rumours that she's retiring soon and you got a Stardom that is fucked.

Their leaving opens the door for a lot of other women to step up a chance to run with the ball, if losing them means the end of Stardom then Stardom is on incredibly shaking ground to begin with and doesn't say a lot about their fan base in Japan.

The joshi fanbase is literally tiny compared to what it used to be, plus STARDOM must be a pretty costly promotion to operate, what with a bunch of gaijin fly-ins every month and attendances that aren't exactly something to shout about. I'm going to hazard a guess that their profit margins are pretty thin and rely a ton on merch sales, so while I'm sure they have the talent to eventually fill Hojo, Shirai & Iwatani's places, whether that talent's ready to step-up and whether the fans are ready to buy into them is another matter and in the nightmare scenario of STARDOM losing their 3 top stars in one fell swoop, I'm not so sure the promotion could survive.

Bad Luck Fale's dojo in New Zealand is now officially partnered with NJPW. That is really great news. From everything I have heard Fale is one of the most exceptionally nice guys ever and the work he is doing in his community to help (including running his dojo) has been fantastic.

So, that is great!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Can't wait to see Roman retire Taker then Taker get up, shake his hand and raise his arm. Maybe cut a promo about how it's Roman's yard now too.

This would be the one time a full on riot would be justified.

fhXlAt4.gif

This would be the one time a full on riot would be justified.

I honestly wonder just how mad everyone would be/will be if Reigns retires Taker.

Roman Reigns, ending the career of someone beloved for decades.

Maybe we will see trash get pelted into the ring. *edit* or chairs, sure.

Kurita

Wouldn't be mad at Reigns for retiring Undertaker. Hell, anyone can retire him, I don't want to see boring ass Undertaker in 2017

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Taker's retirement match should be a double retirement match against Kane.

Final showdown, open grave match, lots of pyro and drama, they end up kayfabe killing each other.

Reigns retiring Undertaker would be nuclear heat so if they don't turn him heel then they're even dumber than I thought. If Vince honestly thinks this will get Roman over then he's officially lost the plot.

Browny

Banned
I see I'm lucky number 13. Fellow Brenemy, Browny is at No. 4.

We're going to be taking the upper-card by storm.

Brenemies
Brenemies
They're not filthy
Brenemies

Sometimes frowny
He's Browny
But he'll always
Pin you downy

Filth's enemy
He is Menome
Not to be confused with
A sea anemone

Brenemies
Brenemies
They'll win the titles
Just wait and see

AndyVirus

Is anyone actually surprised at 7 hours? Like the absolute minimum was 6 hours (2 pre-show + 4 main). Last year showed they're willing to go longer and even the Rumble was nearly 6 hours this year.

Reigns retiring Undertaker would be nuclear heat so if they don't turn him heel then they're even dumber than I thought. If Vince honestly thinks this will get Roman over then he's officially lost the plot.

Didn't Vince say Orton vs Batista at WM30 (before Bryan was added) was going to be the biggest Wrestlemania main event of all time?

Jamie OD

The joshi fanbase is literally tiny compared to what it used to be, plus STARDOM must be a pretty costly promotion to operate, what with a bunch of gaijin fly-ins every month and attendances that aren't exactly something to shout about. I'm going to hazard a guess that their profit margins are pretty thin and rely a ton on merch sales, so while I'm sure they have the talent to eventually fill Hojo, Shirai & Iwatani's places, whether that talent's ready to step-up and whether the fans are ready to buy into them is another matter and in the nightmare scenario of STARDOM losing their 3 top stars in one fell swoop, I'm not so sure the promotion could survive.

Also it seems that a higher number of their fanbase do not live in Japan. Around 70% of their VOD subscribers are from overseas although I've been told the other official puro streaming sites have similar numbers. So I don't know what to make of that in this situation.

klonere

Banned
I get why they did it, but the Suzuki-gun stuff did spoil what was becoming a really good match between Shibata and Sabre Jr.

They needed to do something with SZG if they wanted to keep the group around, and heel Zack is a great act but yeah that match was going places. It's unlikely we'll get another as they've already had 3 matches in a short space of time now.

Hoping that Suzuki/Shibby will remain Taichi free. We'll see I guess.

Holy shit that Rev card looks amazing. Do those guys stream or something?
Don't think it'll be streamed, but https://rpwondemand.pivotshare.com/

I don't know enough about STARDOM to say if they'll be fine or not, but they've got a lot of Brits/Yanks I like at the moment. They can rebuild, no? Or poach? How are the Ice Ribbons/ whatevers of the puro world doing? You never really hear about them, but I know there are other groups.

klonere

Banned
NOAH has to have the lopsided work rate > attendance ratio of any promotion in history right now. These guys are killing themselves for sub 500 fans in Korauken. You've got Hi69! and Harada putting on 3.75 star matches on the undercard. You've got Kotoge concussing himself on a regular basis. You've got Kenoh, Nakajima, Shiozaki and Suguira murdering people with shoot strikes.

I really hope they manage to pick up attendance soon, this hard graft being put in doesn't deserve to end in a folding promotion. I'm not sure TNA is the answer to anyone trying to make money out of a wrestling company either.

Jado might be the most lethal wrestler in the game right now, nearly crippling Honma and nearly killing NOAH.

Neville vs Gallagher was an average match for the first half so 3.5 is a good enough rating for it.

Who knew Roman and Big Show would be able to get a good match out of Braun Strowman.

Top Bottom