• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Caderfix

2017 Vince books Mania 14

C6cYpypWAAAx-22.jpg

That's good

Foggy

Those Stardom rumors are bitterly disappointing. I don't have much sympathy for Stardom and they do deserve to make money, but losing Kairi and Io to the WWE would be such a waste. Kairi is in the later stages of her career but Io is only 26. Wasting Io's prime years in gimped matches is such a shame.

It would also make Seadlinnng the de facto top joshi promotion which is fucked up. Goddamn WWE ruins everything.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why do people say wwe botched the invasion?

There's a few ways it was botched. The first was that they weren't willing to buy off certain WCW contracts of the big names, and as such missed out on every A-list star they eventually still brought in. The big matches people wanted to see, Goldberg verse Austin, Taker verse Sting, Flair verse The Rock, DX against NWO... none of them happened.

What's worse is once they realised WCW had no big names, they just gave them a bunch of WWF guys to even things out, so it wasn't even an invasion anymore.

For another, it became yet another McMahon against McMahon kind of deal, which was dumb in and of itself.

Finally, McMahon was still in war-mode and wouldn't put over WCW for the life of him, which severely hampered the booking. Ideally with an invasion you'd have the invading force overpower the establishment for some time, before you start fighting back and beating them. Like how the NWO angle was booked at the start. You don't start beating them until they're an established threat, but they did not do that.

Ideally, WCW Nitro would have immediately replaced Smackdown as a show. They would have taken over the entire roster (which might have cost some money, but would have paid off in the end) and they would have kept it separate. Then once a year for Mania, maybe twice if you include SummerSlam, have a big monster-card where the talent mixes, and have the whole brand split drafts or contract shenanigans they ended up doing with Raw and Smackdown.

It's been said a million times before but they had the chance to finally do every wrestling fans dream of that era in WCW vs WWE - but they cheaped out.

And Vince's idiotic obsession with refusing to let anything WCW look good or strong would have always held it back anyway. I mean, what kind of idiot actively shits on a product he now owns instead of trying to build it up and make it worth more money? An egotistical moronic one is who.

Funnily enough, now they use that same company and its fans they would shit on for years as a selling point for the network. Someone realised at some point hey you know millions of people like this stuff... and we're the ones that own it, why are we trying to dismiss it at every turn again?

Both hojo and Shirdi have (I assume ) contracts with LU.

I smell a C and D coming

Tho unlike TNA WWE probably did Thier due diligence

From what I understand they don't have contracts but the producers of LU have expressed interest in bringing them back for season 4.

I can't exactly remember where I heard that though so I could be wrong.

Those Stardom rumors are bitterly disappointing. I don't have much sympathy for Stardom and they do deserve to make money, but losing Kairi and Io to the WWE would be such a waste. Kairi is in the later stages of her career but Io is only 26. Wasting Io's prime years in gimped matches is such a shame.

It would also make Seadlinnng the de facto top joshi promotion which is fucked up. Goddamn WWE ruins everything.

Seadlinnng doesn't have the hot new prospect in joshi:
sendai11.12-4-1.gif

Or the queen herself:
UeBMoq.gif

The problem with mexican/latino wrestlers outside of Del Rio is that no one can fucking form a coherent sentence in english to save their lives, I mean, that should never be a requirement to get over and it's definitely not their fault but it's WWE, you will have to cut promos at some point and creative is so stupid they still haven't come up with a way to overcome that.

I mean, even Kalisto speaks shit english, and hey he's a lucha thing born in the US.

Yep Pentagon is one of the best promos. Doesn't speak a lick of English

Link to Goldberg's entrance at Halloween Havoc 98: https://streamable.com/cxqes

This entrance might perfectly encapsulate what was Goldberg, the absolute height of wrestling and what made this period of wrestling (specifically WCW, nWo, Goldberg and [Crow] Sting) so enthralling. WWE had Austin, Foley, Rock, HBK and Vince but that was very different from this feel. WWE felt very tween with anti-authority, WCW managed to make it feel like an attack on the fans.

I watched a lot of wrestling through this time. I remember renting VHS tapes of Mania's and being hyped over the Andre slam, Yokozuna's loss, the Bret & Shawn Iron man match and all that stuff. But nothing was like this time and I don't know if there ever will be a period of wrestling that had this level of hype and amazement. I wasn't watching during the Punk and Bryan runs, but I just can't imagine it was close to this. I mean think about this: MICHAEL BUFFER IS ANNOUNCING GOLDBERG. It was fucking magic.

Re-watching some of this era is a bit cringe inducing because of the content, but I'd be lying if it didn't bring back memories and excitement. I just don't know if people who weren't watching then will ever fully understand what this period was like. It was on a whole other level and it was just because of puppies or stunners. Those of us watching WCW at the time were emotionally invested in these angles. We all knew it was scripted but we all HATED every fiber of nWo (original).

klonere

Banned
Link to Goldberg's entrance at Halloween Havoc 98: https://streamable.com/cxqes

This entrance might perfectly encapsulate what was Goldberg, the absolute height of wrestling and what made this period of wrestling (specifically WCW, nWo, Goldberg and [Crow] Sting) so enthralling. WWE had Austin, Foley, Rock, HBK and Vince but that was very different from this feel. WWE felt very tween with anti-authority, WCW managed to make it feel like an attack on the fans.

I watched a lot of wrestling through this time. I remember renting VHS tapes of Mania's and being hyped over the Andre slam, Yokozuna's loss, the Bret & Shawn Iron man match and all that stuff. But nothing was like this time and I don't know if there ever will be a period of wrestling that had this level of hype and amazement. I wasn't watching during the Punk and Bryan runs, but I just can't imagine it was close to this.

Re-watching some of this era is a bit cringe inducing because of the content, but I'd be lying if it didn't bring back memories and excitement. I just don't know if people who weren't watching then will ever fully understand what this period was like. It was on a whole other level and it was just because of puppies or stunners. Those of us watching WCW at the time were emotionally invested in these angles. We all knew it was scripted but we all HATED every fiber of nWo (original).

I wasn't there to experience it but it still makes me feel some kinda way watching it now.

That and the Rodman NWO entrance at a Nitro where they come straight from backstage is the pinnacle of American pro wrestling I think.

I wasn't there to experience it but it still makes me feel some kinda way watching it now.

That and the Rodman NWO entrance at a Nitro where they come straight from backstage is the pinnacle of American pro wrestling I think.

Rodman and Malone was great, and made sense, but the Leno stuff was stupid. There was a lot BS throughout this era, but the stuff that was gold was just untouchable.

I bet Renee sits there wishing she had stuff to shoot on, wants to join in on the fun.

One day she's gonna slam her fists down on the table while everyone else is shooting and randomly shout AMBROSE HAS NEVER GIVEN ME AN ORGASM!

klonere

Banned
This is the entrance I'm talking about. Obviously my knowledge of WWE is very spotty but through osmosis and just being around I've seen all the big WWE "moments" Taker entrances, Austin pops, a horrible racist body slamming a giant, boyhood dreams, Kane shenanigans, it was me Austin, Cena clones, all that jazz.

But there's nothing that WWE has produced that I've seen that comes close to being as cool, well produced and uniquely pro wrasslin' as this entrance here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa8o9ez45vc

Bischoff skulking in the background is and nearly ruining it is a perfect metaphor for WCW though

Beefy

This is the entrance I'm talking about. Obviously my knowledge of WWE is very spotty but through osmosis and just being around I've seen all the big WWE "moments" Taker entrances, Austin pops, a horrible racist body slamming a giant, boyhood dreams, Kane shenanigans, it was me Austin, Cena clones, all that jazz.

But there's nothing that WWE has produced that I've seen that comes close to being as cool, well produced and uniquely pro wrasslin' as this entrance here.

Bischoff skulking in the background is and nearly ruining it is a perfect metaphor for WCW though

Smoking makes us look good was a weird time.

WCW did a good job with single shot entrances.

My issue with Taker stuff is that if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Very rarely, for me, did they ever have this other life to them in the way some of these WCW entrances did.

klonere

Banned
Smoking makes us look good was a weird time.

The camera has always loved smoke and people smoking. It's one of these strange cultural happenstances. Pity about the cancer and all that.

WCW did a good job with single shot entrances.

My issue with Taker stuff is that if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Very rarely, for me, did they ever have this other life to them in the way some of these WCW entrances did.

It's just such a lovely contrast to the hyperactive cutting of WWE programming. Deliberate, long single shot stuff can really establish mood and place while making the viewer feel like they are actually there. Yet it still retains that element of making stars really pop off the screen, as you get longer to really feel that aura up close.

And yeah, most Taker stuff comes off as seriously hokey to me. But some people clearly still really dig it.

The camera has always loved smoke and people smoking. It's one of these strange cultural happenstances. Pity about the cancer and all that.

It's just such a lovely contrast to the hyperactive cutting of WWE programming. Deliberate, long single shot stuff can really establish mood and place while making the viewer feel like they are actually there. Yet it still retains that element of making stars really pop off the screen, as you get longer to really feel that aura up close.

And yeah, most Taker stuff comes off as seriously hokey to me. But some people clearly still really dig it.

Like I said, they each had their own vibe. You tuned into each show for different reasons, but WCW managed to do a wonderful job of packaging face vs heel. WWE was very much on anti-authority. But WWE camera work then was still leagues better than it is now. TBH the current camera work is what kills a lot of the enjoyment of the product. Watching Fastlane they kept cutting back and forth between close corner shot and wide ring shot SO MUCH it killed it.

This is my favorite entrance ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7cFGXHvqo

It also includes smoking.

Chono has such a fucking great look.

Foggy

Seadlinnng doesn't have the hot new prospect in joshi:

Or the queen herself:

Nothing would make happier than for Sendai to take up the mantle, but they're so infrequent and relatively stagnant. I'm really hoping one of these promotions can step up aside from Nanae's promotion.

Nice post from Edge about Beth's HOF induction: https://www.facebook.com/EdgeWWE/posts/10154582874015186

In salute of #InternationalWomensDay I thought it was time to talk about a 2017 WWE Hall of Fame inductee, but more specifically, my wife, Beth Copeland, aka The Glamazon, aka The Glamamom, aka Beth Pheonix(that's a lot of handles).
Now obviously I'm biased, and extremely proud of Beth, but after she expressed doubt as to whether she should go into the HOF so quickly, I looked at her resume. I stepped out of the husband shoes and looked at her question and came to the conclusion, that, hell yeah she should be. Who cares what year it happens, if you have a HOF resume, you deserve to go in plain and simple. There's no time eligibility as with pro sports, so who cares when it happens, as long as it does. It's not a race between people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's mine, and since I'm a hall of famer myself, my opinion is more important(I kid, I kid, kind of).
Let's roll through the credentials:
-first women's ladder match in history vs Katie Lee Burchill
-first women's Table match in history with Natalya vs Laycool
-first women's I Quit match vs Melina
-second woman to ever enter the Royal Rumble(and eliminate The Great Khali)
-3 time WWE Women's Champion
-1 time Divas Champion
-third most female ppv appearances with 38, one behind Trish Stratus and Natalya at 39
There's a reason she was put in those positions. She was damn good at her job. I always felt(even before we were an item) that Beth was a wrestler. Plain and simple, she could wrestle. In a time when female physical strength was not in vogue, she still stuck to her guns(get it?). In the days of diva searches(no offense diva search contestants) Beth was a throwback. She joined her high school wrestling team. The first woman to do so at her school and broke down barriers, all with the goal of making it to the WWE after seeing Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart at Wrestlemania 10. She was, and is, a true fan of the industry which sadly can be a rarity within the industry. She left a good, safe job to hop in her Geo Prism and drive to Louisville, KY to try and get into OVW(at that time WWE's farm system). After being told for years by the higher ups in WWE talent relations that she wasn't what they were looking for(which was the next Trish Stratus) and waitressing in Perkins to make ends meet, she continued showing up. Finally she was hired, eventually made it to Monday Night Raw, and in her first match, broke her jaw(and finished the match). Not deterred she came back with an idea and a different attitude and The Glamazon was born.
She could play the straight woman to Santino. She was the woman who the company could depend on for years on pay per view. She was one of the women to keep the flame alive for women's wrestling in an era where it was put on the back burner, and let's face it, given little attention by the WWE. I think the current renaissance of the division happened in part because of women like Beth, Nattie, Laycool, Mickie James, Candice etc. Those were some leanly written years for the women's division but they kept the torch lit for women like Charlotte, Bayley, Becky, Nia and Sasha to show what badasses they are today.
The truest testament of your skill is what your peers think, especially in the WWE locker room. That's a tough audience to win over, and Beth had the respect of everyone for being a worker. So this year that's honored. And that's great. But more important than all of that is the woman she is. Strong, idenpendent, smart, continuing her education and recently receiving her masters in forensic psychology and now about to embark on getting a degree in clinical mental health. All while being a mother to our two little girls, Lyric and Ruby and setting a sparkling example of what a woman can be if she believes in herself. In spite of today's political climate. So, yeah, I'm pretty proud of her.
Who cares about the WWE Hall of Fame, if there was a Hall of Fame for life, Beth would be in first ballot.

Also dragging people in the comments lol
b9ywxCA.png

Top Bottom