• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Pikma

Banned
Triple H said a long ago NXT wasn't developmental anymore and that it was going to be treated as the third brand, but I guess it's easier to ignore that and continue the hard cam jokes, even fucking Meltzer does them.
👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
Imagine if Vince went to Bret and
"Bret I know you been working in the business for years but I need for you to work for my son in law development promotion for a few years so you know where the hard camera is"
Heromark proving me right yet again

Ithil

WWE really should open performance centers around the country.

Asking people to move to Florida is a big hurdle for those with family's. Espaically on a NXT salary.

Owens always talks about how the minute he got to the main roster he moved back to Montreal.

The one they have already costs millions to run every year, and has all their trainers. If they opened another one in like California they'd have to split their trainers and staff between them, and NXT TV is taped in Florida so anyone in the other PCs would have to be flown across the country instead of driving 30 minutes down the road to Full Sail.

It's just not cost effective.

if Vince weren't so stubborn he would have changed the name of Smackdown to WCW during the brand split. With Shane running things it works perfectly. That would have been money.

Apdiddy

Yes, how dare Vince McMahon offer wrestlers a wage and contract they agree too! It's all Vince's fault that the rest of these mark jaborni promoters can't pay a worker what they're worth. After all, if these workers really cared about the business they'd continue to accept $50 and free concessions as payment or keep on taking bad checks from Paul Heyman to keep the Extreme Revolution alive!

What you're actually saying is you're upset Vince McMahon is running his business like a business that wants to win and draw money instead of a promotion focused only on appealing to a few thousand geeks who like five star matches.

The problem is wrestling nowadays is in a low point. Except for the Big 4 PPVs (Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, Summerslam, and to a lesser extent Survivor Series), you don't really see active engagement with the audience anymore. The WWE would really benefit with having fewer PPVs and the WWE Network has caused problems with how wrestlers are paid in the WWE. The "few thousand geeks who like five star matches" ARE the most active audience. Everyone else is either bored shitless or ready to go. Which doesn't make any sense -- why would WWE audience today pay money to just sit there? What bugs me a lot is how the audience on Raw will just do random chants during matches. The WWE is failing their fans at that point.

True, the territorial days of wrestling has changed for good reasons. Hardly getting paid or taking a bouncing check from a cheap promoter is never a good thing. Working for Vince would be like working for Satan though -- instead of going from territory to territory, most wrestlers that leave just go to a normal 9 to 5 job nowadays.

You do what every promotion I'm the history of wreslting does , you book the person to be strong you hype him the fuck up.
KO popping up to beatdown Cena and beat him clean came off a lot more effectively and awesome then it would have been if it was his first appearance given the fact he was NXT Champion at the time.

Heroman

Banned
But famed wrestler Juice Robinson worked in NXT.

NXT isn't the worst thing in the world. It's probably for the better as some have said it gives better exposure before they are called up.
juice Robinson was absolutely terrible in NXT,if wasn't blomm I doubt he would still be working today.

With NXT I'm always torn between being mad at WWE for not pushing their own talent to make new stars but then also thinking that most wrestlers there who are entirely WWE trained aren't very good at all.

With NXT I'm always torn between being mad at WWE for not pushing their own talent to make new stars but then also thinking that most wrestlers there who are entirely WWE trained aren't very good at all.

It does make you wonder if the guys who have made the best out of NXT did it because they got there later in there careers. It begs the question, "Is NXT actually any good at developing talent?" Who is the best wrestler that NXT has put out that they have actually developed from the ground up? Seems like mostly the female wrestlers.

C6q4KZKWcAAPiUl.jpg:large

Heroman

Banned
👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼

Heromark proving me right yet again
With people like Peyton , Billie Kay and the author of pain it is hard for me too take them not for development promotion.

Pikma

Banned
It does make you wonder if the guys who have made the best out of NXT did it because they got there later in there careers. It begs the question, "Is NXT actually any good at developing talent?" Who is the best wrestler that NXT has put out that they have actually developed from the ground up? Seems like mostly the female wrestlers.
Jordan & Gable, I guess? But that's because they already had a background, the problem with this developmental thing is their obsession with signing guys who come from the NFL/NBA/China/India, 99% of that shit will never work.

Most of the audience doesn't watch NXT

Enough watch that there's a presence of people in the crowd to always cheer when there's a callup. More than watched the archives and cheered Mickie when she came back

Still not enough for NXT to be a significant money maker, of course. TNA and NXT have equivalent profit

Pikma

Banned
With people like Peyton , Billie Kay and the author of pain it is hard for me too take them not for development promotion.
do you consider NJPW to be a developmental promotion because of the young lions sometimes mixing with the established talent?

somedevil

In NXT it has 3 tiers. One is Indie stars, one is people who done Indies but don't have a name for themselves and ones from the ground up.

Ground up are Jordan and Gable, Baron Corbin, Alexa Bliss, Carmella, Nia Jax, Big E and Authors of Pain

With some Indie experience: Sasha, Bayley, Rusev, Revival, Tye, Peyton and Kay

Oersted

Lord and saviour Roman Reigns

Recall

What did Gedo have on Liger to get pushed so hard during the 94 and 95 super J cups? He was a nobody on the junior scene and was exceptionally untalented yet he still managed to reach the final of the 95 j Cup ahead of much more deserving talent.

Heroman

Banned
do you consider NJPW to be a developmental promotion because of the young lions sometimes mixing with the established talent?
No because most of NJPW roster aren't young Lions and they only in one match at the beginning of the card.

I mean most of NXT house shows are development show, can't say the same for NJPW.

Pikma

Banned
No because most of NJPW roster aren't young Lions and they only in one match at the beginning of the card.
Lol keep moving those goalposts, yo

Inexperienced workers aren't most of the NXT roster either, it's literally just 3 women and a tag team. The rest of the developmental talent that sporadically shows up are there just to job to your indie darlings.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Tommy End is still not regular in NXT months after that UK torunament debut right?

klonere

Banned
I think my promotions list for this year would be something like this:

1. NOAH
NOAH has gone from a wasteland of fuckery filled meaningless multiman tags with anesthetized crowds and overindulgent meandering main events to a brutal pseudo shoot fight promotion (not in the fake MMA sense more in the they are hitting each other really really hard).

With Suzuki Gun excised from the promotion like the insidious, near fatal parasite that group proved to be, NOAH was forced to totally change up their roster and booking. Their junior division imploded, with 3 of the most important wrestlers moving up to heavyweight, leaving Ohara and Ishimorii seemingly floating without any challengers. So in came a bunch of indie guys that have really added some diversity to the undercard and the imposed focused on Ohara has brought to light his unique and fittingly intense junior style.

Meanwhile the heavyweights regularly mix it up in singles matches up and down the card, with tons of interesting matchups, keeping every show fresh. Of course the usual suspects are being kept strong, Marufuji, Suigura and Shiozaki aren't dropping falls randomly. Still the way the matches are structured and the pace these guys are working ensures that everyone looks good to great coming out of it.

The main events are dominated by classic NOAH heavyweight tags, with a twist. There are not a lot of set teams and combinations, again emphasizing a level of novelty to every show. These combinations aren't just the main eventers, but also young boys and juniors.

I think at its core, NOAH the REBORN is a promotion where it really feels like everyone is working at their absolute best every single show, with simple, compelling booking and a unique working style.

2. OTT
An admitted huge live bias here; OTT shows are special live and that comes from people who got to tons of live wrestling all over the world rather than myself who has been to a single NXT house show outside of OTT.

OTT now put together indie supershows on the level of PWG, sell more tickets and run bigger venues than PWG while still running some actual stories, sort of. The reliance on imports is very apparent and they are only starting to book non-comedy local talent as of the last show (Devlin and Martina excepted). Still they put on fun shows with super hot crowds and WE MADE PETE DUNNE AND DON'T YOU EVER FORGET IT EUROGRAPS.

3. NJPW
Best main event scene in the world. Best main event booking the world. Brings in great gajin. Easy to access content. Cheap. Runs regularly. Issues with heavyweight tag belts since for fucking ever.

Push Ospreay.

4. Dragon Gate
Still my favorite overall style of wrestling and overloaded with talent but man have injuries totally fucked up this year for Dragon Gate. Cyber Kong is a Dream Gate challenger. Fucking hell man.

Not totally caught up and I'm sure important shit has happened so I'll hold judgement on the booking situation.

5. PROGRESS
Always there, always solid. The British Strong Style stuff is picking up. Main event scene is recovering once again. The tag division is really taking off, with SPPT surging up the card, strong outside talent like Ringkampf and the Hunter Brothers coming in and of course Trent/Pete holding down the titles. Apart from WXW, no indie promotion comes close on the combination of production, price, convenience and storytelling.

Heroman

Banned
Lol keep moving those goalposts, yo

Inexperienced workers aren't most of the NXT roster either, it's literally just 3 women and a tag team. The rest of the developmental talent that sporadically shows up are there just to job to your indie darlings.

What goalposts? You brought up a super dumb comparison for why NXT inst a development promotion.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Matches for tonight's ROH tv taping:

Hardys vs Briscoes for the tag belts

Davey Boy Smith Jr vs Rowe

Punishment Martinez vs Hanson

Marty Scurll vs mystery opponent for the tv belt

Top Bottom