• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

klonere

Banned
4XAdZ.gif

Shit I may have to slot Cena into this race. Truly a constantly evolving wrestling.

Fox318

Yes, how dare Vince McMahon offer wrestlers a wage and contract they agree too! It's all Vince's fault that the rest of these mark jaborni promoters can't pay a worker what they're worth. After all, if these workers really cared about the business they'd continue to accept $50 and free concessions as payment or keep on taking bad checks from Paul Heyman to keep the Extreme Revolution alive!

What you're actually saying is you're upset Vince McMahon is running his business like a business that wants to win and draw money instead of a promotion focused only on appealing to a few thousand geeks who like five star matches.

The growth of streaming wrestling as well as the growth of British wrestling.

These guys signed mark deals that limit their involvment on iPPVs as well as indies all for the hope that some how the WWE will signe them.

Which is fucking dumb.

You really think Tyler Bate at all of 5'4" is going to main event wrestlemania? Or fucking get a main roster spot?

Right now World of Sport is rolling out a TV show that will be the highest rated Wrestling in the UK and Progress and ICW have been growing at a steady pace with online PPVs and streaming networks. Rev Pro is creating matchups and filling venues with.

Now these UK performers are giving up all of the cross promotional opportunities, name rights, merch rights, and even exposure all for $20,000???

These guys could work at a starbucks and make more and get insurance.

The growth of streaming wrestling as well as the growth of British wrestling.

These guys signed mark deals that limit their involvment on iPPVs as well as indies all for the hope that some how the WWE will signe them.

Which is fucking dumb.

You really think Tyler Bate at all of 5'4" is going to main event wrestlemania? Or fucking get a main roster spot?

Right now World of Sport is rolling out a TV show that will be the highest rated Wrestling in the UK and Progress and ICW have been growing at a steady pace with online PPVs and streaming networks. Rev Pro is creating matchups and filling venues with.

Now these UK performers are giving up all of the cross promotional opportunities, name rights, merch rights, and even exposure all for $20,000???

These guys could work at a starbucks and make more and get insurance.

Probably because despite all the myth making by indy evangelists and the dozen indy workers making good money, that 20k is still a better deal than trying to work indy dates in the UK, especially when it's likely that within a few years, this boom will be dead just like the indy boom during the early to mid 2000's over here in the US?

newcomers defending Vince's monopoly

Maybe promoters should pay workers enough they don't sign for Vince.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's easier than ever to make a living off the indie circuit these days. Marty Scurll's a damn star right now, he's gonna be getting work for years.

Zach

CM Punk vs. The Miz at Cyber Sunday 2007 wasn't great. I don't know why you guys swear they're the new Austin and Rock.

It's easier than ever to make a living off the indie circuit these days. Marty Scurll's a damn star right now, he's gonna be getting work for years.

It's so easy every indy guy that doesn't have a New Japan hookup or doesn't have personal issues with the WWE is running for that sweet developmental money. This idea of the indies paved with gold is a myth when in reality, there are fewer people making a decent living from wrestling than anytime since probably after World War II.

"well that little family store next to Walmart should just charge less for products"

I mean, it's economics. Pay your workers what they're worth or you'll lose them.

Fox318

Probably because despite all the myth making by indy evangelists and the dozen indy workers making good money, that 20k is still a better deal than trying to work indy dates in the UK, especially when it's likely that within a few years, this boom will be dead just like the indy boom during the early to mid 2000's over here in the US?

Maybe promoters should pay workers enough they don't sign for Vince.

And who killed the US indie scene and the mainstream popularity of wrestling in the US? Who made it tougher for the US indie worker?

Right now the UK has a healthy scene that is able to have multiple promotions and multiple shows running each weekend with paths to Japan, Mexico, and the US through partner promotions.

Part of the fault lies with UK promotions even thinking about hiring talent the WWE has signed. Those guys should be excommunicado from under cards and indie shows in the UK.

Yeah these guys can have their 20k for 1 year but the UK scene if grown through proper TV deals could be making way fucking more in 3-4.

Fox318

Bucks wouldn't work on the WWE stage anyway.

From both a creative and an appeal aspect they are limited. Now they can make good money and live at home with their kids most days of the week.

Re: the mark deals, I can't fault anyone who took them, who's gonna turn down 16 grand of free money and from what it seems like keep most if not all of your bookings anyway. And I'm sure any WWE dates they get will most likely pay more.

WWE really should open performance centers around the country.

Asking people to move to Florida is a big hurdle for those with family's. Espaically on a NXT salary.

Owens always talks about how the minute he got to the main roster he moved back to Montreal.

And who killed the US indie scene and the mainstream popularity of wrestling in the US? Who made it tougher for the US indie worker?

Right now the UK has a healthy scene that is able to have multiple promotions and multiple shows running each weekend with paths to Japan, Mexico, and the US through partner promotions.

Part of the fault lies with UK promotions even thinking about hiring talent the WWE has signed. Those guys should be excommunicado from under cards and indie shows in the UK.

Yeah these guys can have their 20k for 1 year but the UK scene if grown through proper TV deals could be making way fucking more in 3-4.

...and by made it tougher, you mean signed to a guaranteed contract and made them decent money, right? Because that's what actually happened to all the top indy guys of the mid-2000's who werent't basically crazy egomaniacs (hi Low Ki!).

Your low tier indy guy was still your low tier indy guy. If anything, the WWE signing people made it easier for those folks.

Now, was it bad for certain promoters? Sure. But promoters are 99% scum and I never feel any sympathy for them.

Ignoring the fact that you're assuming this ITV deal will be anything but something that is forgotten about in five years ("hey, remember in the mid-2010's when one of the UK indies actually had a TV show for 12 weeks?), those UK promotions will be able to keep their talent as long as they pay them the market rate they deserve.

Pikma

Banned
Nah. Bucks are making way too much from ROH + indie bookings + merch sales. Only way I could see them coming over is if they promised to send to them straight to the main roster like AJ.
You really think they'd refuse coming in with Omega as The Elite?

Heroman

Banned
WWE really should open performance centers around the country.

Asking people to move to Florida is a big hurdle for those with family's. Espaically on a NXT salary.

Owens always talks about how the minute he got to the main roster he moved back to Montreal.
Just don't send experience pro wrestler to NXT/ performance center. There no reason why a guy like ko should be there.

You really think they'd refuse coming in with Omega as The Elite?

It's all about $$$. WWE will only get a certain level of wreslte r with what they are willing to pay.

It's why ZSJ didn't sign, guy probably makes a good living on the indies. Plus gets to keep all his merch money

Pikma

Banned
Just don't send experience pro wrestler to NXT/ performance center. There no reason why a guy like ko should be there.
NXT is not just about training, it's also about giving exposure before these guys debut on the main roster

Or do you really think they could have debuted Balor without him ever doing NXT and having him still get the same buzz? Or does Balor not count as an experienced pro wrestler because you don't like him?

I always got the idea with guys like KO and Finn it was more just throwing some star power there then the fact the guys needed to learn the WWE style. Plus they weren't AJ levels of big who could jump to the main roster and have everyone know who he was.

It's like why guys like Nakamura and Roode are down there. It's less 'these guys gotta learn the ropes' and more 'these guys are the only draws we have now'.

Pikma

Banned
It's all about $$$. WWE will only get a certain level of wreslte r with what they are willing to pay.

It's why ZSJ didn't sign, guy probably makes a good living on the indies. Plus gets to keep all his merch money
Of course it's about $, and these guys aren't stupid, they know what they're worth

Pikma

Banned
I always got the idea with guys like KO and Finn it was more just throwing some star power there then the fact the guys needed to learn the WWE style. Plus they weren't AJ levels of big who could jump to the main roster and have everyone know who he was.

It's like why guys like Nakamura and Roode are down there. It's less 'these guys gotta learn the ropes' and more 'these guys are the only draws we have now'.
Triple H said a long ago NXT wasn't developmental anymore and that it was going to be treated as the third brand, but I guess it's easier to ignore that and continue the hard cam jokes, even fucking Meltzer does them.

Pikma

Banned
I'm annoyed by wrasslers caring about the hard cam. Am I a monster?
No, you're right, it is annoying, it makes everything feel less organic, just like having to say 'WWE' before mentioning a particular belt or the name of a ppv, or having to refer to fans as "The WWE Universe"

Heroman

Banned
Imagine if Vince went to Bret and
"Bret I know you been working in the business for years but I need for you to work for my son in law development promotion for a few years so you know where the hard camera is"

Imagine if Vince went to Bret and
"Bret I know you been working in the business for years but I need for you to work for my son in law development promotion for a few years so you know where the hard camera is"
But famed wrestler Juice Robinson worked in NXT.

NXT isn't the worst thing in the world. It's probably for the better as some have said it gives better exposure before they are called up.

Top Bottom