• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Nope. But a lot of Vegas trips during spring break
I was reading about something that happened in Vegas. It was similar to freak nik but lol it was so crazy that Vegas outlawed it from ever happening again because they wanted to party and shit instead of gambling. It was damn hilarious. Closest thing I'll ever get to that is a Too $hort song and/or black bike weekend in Myrtle Beach. Great experience lol.

TNA owning the rights to the BROKEN gimmick makes total sense in a world where TNA had its shit together. Its how working for creative companies typically work. Its how WWE works too.

BUT I wouldnt be shocked if the Hardys are telling the truth that TNA didnt have it anywhere in the contract.

I hate TNA as much as the next person but its gonna be interesting to see how it works out.

From a layman perspective it is like being a character on a TV show, leaving and then being that exact character again on another TV show and I dont know how a jury would side in that kind of argument.

UyP1MQX.jpg

YTR.

TNA owning the rights to the BROKEN gimmick makes total sense. Its how working for creative companies typically work. Its how WWE works too.

BUT I wouldnt be shocked if the Hardys are telling the truth that TNA didnt have it anywhere in the contract.

I hate TNA as much as the next person but its gonna be interesting to see how it works out.

From a layman perspective it is like being a character on a TV show, leaving and then being that exact character again on another TV show and I dont know how a jury would side in that kind of argument.

Except for the part where the person makes a gimmick. This is 1995 Vince level of petty need.

I can't wait for fake Matt and Jeff to debut on impact

kirblar

Owning a gimmick wholesale is...quite ridiculous. Phrases/names can be TMed, but "Broken Matt Hardy"....is still Matt Hardy.

It'd be like trying to say AJ can't use "Phenomenal" outside of TNA.

It's a matter of how they present the content - they don't use any imagination, just throw all the archive stuff up on there. The most obvious way to get people watching the archive stuff would be to provide context - have a series where WWE superstars talk about their favourite old school matches. A casual viewer almost certainly won't randomly decide to watch some WCCW or Mid-South, but they'd probably be far more likely to watch a special with someone like Stone Cold introducing and providing context for his favourite matches from that era.
My casual arse can confirm this would make things more appealing.

Ha! Triple H wrestling in a third match at No Mercy '07.
I never actually went and watched this, rumours say it's one of his few Orton matches where they actually gelled well, but I can't bring myself to believe such tomfoolery.

Zach

Owning a gimmick wholesale is...quite ridiculous. Phrases/names can be TMed, but "Broken Matt Hardy"....is still Matt Hardy.

I mean, I'm pretty sure "Phenomenal" and "#BROKEN" are totally trademark-able. Why wouldn't they be?

Not saying TNA of all places trademarked anything. >_>

My casual arse can confirm this would make things more appealing.

I never actually went and watched this, rumours say it's one of his few Orton matches where they actually gelled well, but I can't bring myself to believe such tomfoolery.
Their first No Mercy '07 match wasn't bad, mostly because of the hot crowd. We'll see how their second match plays out in the main event...

Bronx-Man

Banned

I could've sworn TNA tried some shady shit with AJ either right after he left or right before he joined WWE.

gun_haver

TNA owning the rights to the BROKEN gimmick makes total sense in a world where TNA had its shit together. Its how working for creative companies typically work. Its how WWE works too.

yeah but the whole scripted drama comparison is just a VERY rough approximation that has arisen primarily as a response to 'why the fuck do you watch that fake bullshit' rather than it being an accurate comparison to make.

there are situations where it is the creative idea behind the gimmick which is the driving force - i'd say the undertaker and kane are good examples of this. mark calaway was the right man for the job, obviously, but those kinds of gimmicks and stories are more 'find a body to fit this gimmick'. you could argue that it would've been very unfair for mark calaway to jump to WCW and attempt to use the undertaker gimmick.

then you've got other things like broken matt hardy where it is something that he was - if we believe what the hardys say, and i do - the primary creative force behind, and his particular performance of it being what makes it a draw. it really isn't something anybody else could do. this is not analagous to scripted tv drama in any real way, so it shouldn't be treated that way legally.

it's a smaller scale version of people like stone cold and the rock - those aren't just the usual kinds of interchangable gimmicks, they are entire performance personas that are unique to the individuals responsible for them. sure they all have plenty of help along the way, but the performer themselves should be able to negotiate ownership of either elements of or the entirety of that persona both within and without the company where they performed.

basically, matt owns this crap and tna should fuck off.

MG310

TNA filed trademarks for the important things like Aron Rex but not anything related to the Broken Matt Hardy gimmick

Seems about right for Dixie and Co.

notworksafe

I mean, I'm pretty sure "Phenomenal" and "#BROKEN" are totally trademark-able. Why wouldn't they be?

Not saying TNA of all places trademarked anything. >_>

Phenomenal probably not. You can't just trademark a word that already exists. #BROKEN is more likely if you include the # but still would be a tough one to get.

Zach

I dozed off during H/Orton II at No Mercy. Oh well. What I saw was alright. There was some good selling by Orton actually.

Last Man Standing matches kinda suck.

Syder

Maybe one of the few good reasons for talent for being with TNA was that they wouldn't hoard copyrights. Now they're bitter about losing The Hardys they're trying to do anything to get back at them.

Fox318

Hearing Meltzer talk about the WWE going to UK arenas trying to get exclusive deals with them so they can't have any other wrestling shows.

I don't know how the UK wrestlers that signed mark deals aren't viewed as traitors to their home nation.
'
The WWE will come in and protect their image and the second they've poisoned the well will leave and take their business elsewhere .

Just like they did in the US and in Canada.

DMczaf

Hearing Meltzer talk about the WWE going to UK arenas trying to get exclusive deals with them so they can't have any other wrestling shows.

I don't know how the UK wrestlers that signed mark deals aren't viewed as traitors to their home nation.
'
The WWE will come in and protect their image and the second they've poisoned the well will leave and take their business elsewhere .

Just like they did in the US and in Canada.

"History repeats itself"

Vince bout do go into 80s Vince Mode on these motherfuckers.

Fox318

"History repeats itself"

Vince bout do go into 80s Vince Mode on these motherfuckers.

That's what people don't get about the WWE.

They really don't care about making money they care about taking over. The WWE didn't need to raid ROH stars in the mid 00s, they didn't need to raid the AWAs entire roster and prevent Verne from running shows with 100 people in the audience, they didn't need to sign ECW talent only to job them with no build, they didn't need to job out a UFC champion returning to the WWE in Brock Lesnar on his first match.

All of those things did not make the WWE more money. It just made them more able to be the big fish in a small small pond.

And when you get down to it thats really all Vince and HHH can do. They can't grow their company and the art of wrestling, they can only take advantage of the marks that think they can all get along and all make money.

Pikma

Banned
I meant raid it to the bone.
That will be pretty hard to accomplish considering japanese guys, especially the big stars, aren't interested in getting out of their comfort zone. Also the only gaijin worth a damn is Omega, everyone else is replaceable to a certain point.

This WWE rule book is amazing. There's a torn out part where you can see a list of things you're not meant to do around Vince unless you want to be fired and they actually have sneezing listed. Refs are informed not to ask Cena if he gives up because it's never going to happen. They mention Kizarny, Phantasio, there's a delivery report of how 20 large crates of water were delivered to Triple H.

Beefy

That will be pretty hard to accomplish considering japanese guys, especially the big stars, aren't interested in getting out of their comfort zone. Also the only gaijin worth a damn is Omega, everyone else is replaceable to a certain point.

Young Bucks are ROH right?

klonere

Banned
The Kenny/Miyahara/Marufuji race to have the best high knees in wrestling continues.

i5U1aSG.gif

I'm also pretty sure that NOAH the REBORN is both the most consistent and my favorite promotion of the year. Hoping that they can pull the attendance out of the gutter, the guys are working incredibly hard each show.

That's what people don't get about the WWE.

They really don't care about making money they care about taking over. The WWE didn't need to raid ROH stars in the mid 00s, they didn't need to raid the AWAs entire roster and prevent Verne from running shows with 100 people in the audience, they didn't need to sign ECW talent only to job them with no build, they didn't need to job out a UFC champion returning to the WWE in Brock Lesnar on his first match.

All of those things did not make the WWE more money. It just made them more able to be the big fish in a small small pond.

And when you get down to it thats really all Vince and HHH can do. They can't grow their company and the art of wrestling, they can only take advantage of the marks that think they can all get along and all make money.

Yes, how dare Vince McMahon offer wrestlers a wage and contract they agree too! It's all Vince's fault that the rest of these mark jaborni promoters can't pay a worker what they're worth. After all, if these workers really cared about the business they'd continue to accept $50 and free concessions as payment or keep on taking bad checks from Paul Heyman to keep the Extreme Revolution alive!

What you're actually saying is you're upset Vince McMahon is running his business like a business that wants to win and draw money instead of a promotion focused only on appealing to a few thousand geeks who like five star matches.

Top Bottom