• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
wouldn't you say that having the title move between Sasha and Charlotte 15 000 times in a month hurt the division? what's the point of a division if the belt is completely meaningless?

You're referring to the booking, not match quality or even division quality. All of those matches were good.

Do we think WWE jumped the gun on the womans division with Bayley, Carmella, Sasha etc?

I really only feel like Becky and Charolette have shown any improvements.

I think it's less resting on her laurels and more she's in a division where there isn't that much good talent for her to fight. It's why I want Smackdown to get Asuka so Becky can at least have one great opponent.

It's that and the fact that she'll always be the top girl on their division as of now. No need for her to push herself, I honestly can't remember when was the last match I enjoyed seeing her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, the number of legitimately bad workers in the women's division is down to Nia Jax and Dana Brooke at this point. Naomi isn't good but she also paid her dues enough and did what she could to establish characters in the last couple years.

Emma debuted on the main roster as a comedy-themed generic hot girl, but I think she/the writers did a good job recasting her character as something interesting and she isn't a bad worker.

imBask

Banned
I mean, the number of legitimately bad workers in the women's division is down to Nia Jax and Dana Brooke at this point.

Naomi isn't good but she also paid her dues enough and did what she could to establish characters in the last couple years.

Did Carmella suddenly disappear since I stopped watching?

Shaemus/Del Rio is the winner here. But I'll throw out two others for consideration.

1) John Cena vs Randy Orton. As much as Vince wants this to be a legendary all time feud, I've always felt like these two just never click together. They'll put on decent matches at best against each other, but most of the time all of their encounters usually feel very mediocre and color-by-numbers.

2) Charlotte Flair vs Natalya. Both of them are great wrestlers on their own, but man, any time they faced each other they tended to put on really boring matches. Natalya is also not in the same league as Charlotte on the mic.

Hunter vs Daniel Bryan is probably HHH's best match, though.
He said recurring

Angry Grimace

Did Carmella suddenly disappear since I stopped watching?

Apparently, since I forgot she existed. I will not be even vaguely surprised when she gets transferred back to Raw as part of E&C's gimmick.

Nah. Shit is still infinitely better than it was.

The only way you can argue the women's division isn't a thousand times better than it was 3 years ago is trolling, really.

Angry Grimace

It's better, but do I guess I'm asking more to the immediate push of Bayley and Sasha. Though the Raw womans division is meager.

No, because the Four Horsewomen are by far the most over group of female wrestlers in years. They *needed* to put them on screen and doing stuff. It would be legit dumb if they had 2 tiny divisions and didn't put over the popular people.

Carmella not wrestling means we don't hear her god awful theme so I'm all for it.
I'm sure Stephanie loves it tho
tumblr_ls8zqxSHsm1r1eqygo1_500.gif

Tall4Life

Charlotte is a worse technical wrestler than Sasha or Bayley but she more than makes up for it in everything else. Same with the SD women's division, really, besides Becky who IMO has it all.

Doesn't matter if she doesn't have the work rate or cool moves like Sasha or Bayley, she is a great character surrounded by mediocrely booked talent.

Angry Grimace

I would go so far as to say I think Asuka presents a serious booking problem. I don't know how they can really put her on one of those rosters without it becoming ridiculous.

Honestly this is the most talented womens roster WWE has had in my lifetime watching wrestling.

It's the most talented roster in general; you have people like Rusev and Sami Zayn who do almost nothing. The fact that the product is often bad is down to Vince and booking.

Carmella not wrestling means we don't hear her god awful theme so I'm all for it.
I'm sure Stephanie loves it tho
Steph probably approves of every rap tier theme on the roster. And iggy sucks and whoever does Carmella's theme sucks. Fuck them and anyone who loves them.

Sephzilla

I would go so far as to say I think Asuka presents a serious booking problem. I don't know how they can really put her on one of those rosters without it becoming ridiculous.

I think when you bring Asuka up you give her a nice little undefeated run and then have her lose to someone, a heel in probably dirty fashion. Then you can just say that the main roster talent is tougher than the competition she faced down in NXT (which is honestly true, Asuka is a big fish in a small pond there). Boom, suddenly Asuka is a bit more bookable.

Asuka going up to Raw undefeated against Charlotte who would have her PPV streak would have been a money feud.

Or Bayley finally winning the title at WrestleMania only to have Asuka show up the Raw after Mania

Sephzilla

Asuka needs to get out of NXT for the sake of NXT. The current talent pool down there can't support a Lesnar-type character at the top of the division

Not included in this image:

Who can say? The only person that ever told me or told the world that other planets exist is NASA, but there’s a reason for all… they’re making a lot of money, a lot of money. They have a lot of money coming in. NASA is not an American thing. It’s a world thing. A lot of people don’t know that, so when you start asking questions, there are not a lot of answers sometimes.

lmfao ISEC Fav, everyone: questions if the only reason Earth isn't the only planet is because people are being paid to say otherwise

Despite having a post indicating otherwise as recently as last night I don't think Cass is particularly bad on the mic, like most he's not getting much to work with which I'd argue is always the biggest issue with mic skills.
Bayley can get by even with her awkward promos because she's got these mannerisms and body language that works with her gimmick, thus she still has character.

But man I wish her current raw booking wasn't pretty booty buttcheeks, she's the champ yet it sure don't feel like it (granted that could well be the idea, the storyline has all the pieces in place but the execution don't feel right)

Hunter v everyone not named The Rock
4ClIgXG.gif

Shaemus/Del Rio is the winner here. But I'll throw out two others for consideration.

1) John Cena vs Randy Orton. As much as Vince wants this to be a legendary all time feud, I've always felt like these two just never click together. They'll put on decent matches at best against each other, but most of the time all of their encounters usually feel very mediocre and color-by-numbers.

TOO MANY COOKS.

To think their best match might actually be the iron man match, that's kinda weird.

I don't think "vanilla midget" has any actual meaning beyond a thing people like to say because they love pretending to be a wrestler and parroting Jim Cornette shoots/Kevin Nashisms/etc.

Finn Balor is over and will probably get pushed to the moon when he comes back.

It's so funny seeing the term that was once used to deride guys like Jericho and Guerrero being used so unironically

Angry Grimace

I think when you bring Asuka up you give her a nice little undefeated run and then have her lose to someone, a heel in probably dirty fashion. Then you can just say that the main roster talent is tougher than the competition she faced down in NXT (which is honestly true, Asuka is a big fish in a small pond there). Boom, suddenly Asuka is a bit more bookable.

Or Bayley finally winning the title at WrestleMania only to have Asuka show up the Raw after Mania

To walk it back, it's not a bad problem to have. I don't think they intended Asuka to be a main roster mainstay, they just booked her really well in NXT.

Kaladin

Why is it so freakin' cold in the middle of March? I'm even in the deep south, not in the north where they're experiencing the everstorm. It's gonna be freezing the next three nights here.

Striker

Random thought, what's the worst recurring matchup featuring two wrestlers with little chemistry?
I'm thinking the surprising abundance of Orton vs Sheamus might outrank the Kane vs Taker matches which at least has WM14 going for them.
Orton-Cena, not even close. Triple H-Orton is also bad. Orton's best opponent ended up being Christian, go figure. I don't recall Sheamus and ADR having bad chemistry so much, just simply too much content without reason. Austin-Undertaker is an honorable mention.

It's the most talented roster in general; you have people like Rusev and Sami Zayn who do almost nothing. The fact that the product is often bad is down to Vince and booking.
There's been guys like Val Venis and Scotty 2 Hotty who were tag or midcard guys who were immensely talented in the biggest era of the company, and didn't get the rub. And unlike many today, both guys had a personality.

Angry Grimace

Ember Moon is the opposite version of Asuka.

Asuka doesn't even speak English and her promos are worlds better than Ember's because they play to her character.

Exhibit A is AJ Styles, Exhibit B is Charlotte Flair.

Everyone said AJ sucked until he became really good, and everyone mocked Charlotte (both face and heel versions) until they suddenly realized she's the most effective heel on the roster.

In fact, the most impressive example is Charlotte; everyone mocked Charlotte's promo ability for months after she debuted, including the start of her heel run.

Charlotte is so good she got Dana "I'm barely on TV and when I am I do nothing" Brooke a huge baby face pop and a chant.

Why is it so freakin' cold in the middle of Spring? I'm even in the deep south, not in the north where they're experiencing the everstorm. It's gonna be freezing the next three nights here.

I'll settle for it not snowing more than the foot I have here

It can be as cold as it wants for the next week or month, but fuck snow for the next 9 months

jmdajr

Why is it so freakin' cold in the middle of March? I'm even in the deep south, not in the north where they're experiencing the everstorm. It's gonna be freezing the next three nights here.

Climate change is a bitch. Nothing but extreme temperatures and high spots.

Kawaii Ember Moon will save NXT.
Kawaii? but I thought she was supposed to be dark and sinister? wait no, she's happy again.

Orton-Cena, not even close. Triple H-Orton is also bad. Orton's best opponent ended up being Christian, go figure. I don't recall Sheamus and ADR having bad chemistry so much, just simply too much content without reason. Austin-Undertaker is an honorable mention.

Oh yeah, Trips and Orton is another valid pick.

Sephzilla

It upsets me how much Raw fucked up the womens division though. The booking could have been so simple and so effective. Have Charlotte win the belt at WrestleMania 32, have her reign over the division for an entire year (including having Sasha come up short a couple of times as an underdog face). Then you call up Bayley during the winter and have her put together a few wins and start to become a threat to Charlotte. Then you have Bayley triumphantly defeat Charlotte at WrestleMania. From there you have two really good booking paths.

1) Bayley, at Raw after Mania, is celebrating her win against Charlotte and suddenly Asuka's music kicks in and the woman who ended Bayley's NXT title run shows up.

2) After Bayley wins at WrestleMania, you get a heartfelt "everyone celebrates with Bayley" moment. Then suddenly Sasha pulls this

tumblr_nghvf1lW0L1sbzhteo1_400.gif

And Sasha turns heel because she thinks the title is way more attainable now.

But no, lets play hot potato with the belt for a fucking year and give away the best moment on free TV.

Top Bottom