• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Random thought, what's the worst recurring matchup featuring two wrestlers with little chemistry?
I'm thinking the surprising abundance of Orton vs Sheamus might outrank the Kane vs Taker matches which at least has WM14 going for them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with saying someone sucks at promos is that AJ Styles sucked at promos until he didn't. At 39.

Sometimes it's just a matter of reps.

Toki767

Or Big Show.

Or Mark Henry.

Or Neville.

Goldberg is actually the most impressive- I can't think of many wrestlers who dramatically improved as a promo WHILE REMAINING A FACE.

Maybe HBK?

Well Goldberg improved since they didn't give him a script. Although I don't even remember him talking all that much during his initial WWE run.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Exhibit A is AJ Styles, Exhibit B is Charlotte Flair.

Everyone said AJ sucked until he became really good, and everyone mocked Charlotte (both face and heel versions) until they suddenly realized she's the most effective heel on the roster.

In fact, the most impressive example is Charlotte; everyone mocked Charlotte's promo ability for months after she debuted, including the start of her heel run.

Sephzilla

Exhibit A is AJ Styles, Exhibit B is Charlotte Flair.

Everyone said AJ sucked until he became really good, and everyone mocked Charlotte (both face and heel versions) until they suddenly realized she's the most effective heel on the roster.

Excuse me

source.gif

Charlotte is, respectfully, number 2 in this regard

I mean, it's a meaningless descriptor.

People just like type it out to increase their post count.

Describing Balor as a vanilla midget because you don't like any of the aspects of his character that set him apart is just asinine.
True enough but you can't really stem the tide of substanceless one note posts that crop up from time to time.

Sheamus/Del Rio
xmkXt.jpg

HHH vs Taker at WM17 is their best match but, honestly, I don't entirely get the big buzz around it?

It's good, not quite great.
It has one of the silliest ref bumps going (that dude was out for like 15 minutes) but there's some cool spots.
The first last ride from corner ten punch counter (became overused but was neat at the time), the scaffold brawl (obvious crash mat aside) and I love Trips pulling the hammer up during the last ride.

Sephzilla

Well-uh, you see-uh, Shawn-uh, had two great-uh, matches with Taker so I-uh, had to do the same-uh.

3hfail.gif

"I desperately want my moment" HHH, despite being the immediate precursor to the pretty good Authority HHH, was insufferable though. Hunter blatantly trying to one-up HBK's Taker matches nearly made my eyes roll out of my head

Charlotte gets the edge because she managed to get fucking Dana Brooke of all people over to the point last night people cheered her name when she beat-up Charlotte. Even Miz gets the occasional pop.

Miz made Dolph Ziggler interesting, in 2017

The problem with saying someone sucks at promos is that AJ Styles sucked at promos until he didn't. At 39.

Sometimes it's just a matter of reps.

You use Charolette below, but the people I'm critical off are getting reps and showing no signs of improving: Cass, Bayley, Sasha, Carmella, and basically most of the NXT call ups

Angry Grimace

I'm just saying, nobody ever asks why Charlotte is constantly the focused character of the women's division these days. It's not just the Flair connection, its that she's an obvious future Hall of Famer.

You use Charolette below, but the people I'm critical off are getting reps and showing no signs of improving: Cass, Bayley, Sasha, Carmella, and basically most of the NXT call ups

There's a big difference between Bayley and someone like Nia Jax - Bayley's character is tailored to fit her awkward promos. They just work because her character is literally "awkward dork." I don't buy that Cass's promos are bad either. He talks like that because he's scripted to talk like that. I've heard him talk normally and he's fine. Sasha is yet another example of being screwed by booking - she's a much more effective heel than face, but they legit needed her to play babyface to carry a feud with Charlotte. I think people will be far less critical when she turns heel (which is obviously happening right now).

Sephzilla

I'm just saying, nobody ever asks why Charlotte is constantly the focused character of the women's division these days. It's not just the Flair connection, its that she's an obvious future Hall of Famer.

I'm pretty sure I've brought this up a couple of times. It's part of the reason I wish they didn't split the women's division. Raw's womens division is the Charlotte show, and it's gotten kind of old despite how great Charlotte herself has become

I may have missed why this got brought up, but I feel like if someone is bad on the mic it's an issue of them as a performer. If Bayley can't do well stop giving her so much time. Have it be that she is constantly interrupted and talked over like a little kid.

Sasha just needs a gimmick tweak to get of the BOSS tone

Cass is just whatever I don't think he'll get better

Sephzilla

Cass is a bad promo. And when he tries to be serious it's even worse. The guy doesn't know how to actually sound intense, his definition of being intense is just yelling louder.

Which is why. Any time. He gives a serious promo. He. Talks. Like. William. Shatner. And. Then. Shouts. As. Loud. As. He. Can. When. He. Says. Something. Like. "I. WILL. BE. THE. NEXT. DOUBLE-U. DOUBLE-U. E. UNI. VERSAL. CHAMPION"

Angry Grimace

I'm pretty sure I've brought this up a couple of times. It's part of the reason I wish they didn't split the women's division. Raw's womens division is the Charlotte show, and it's gotten kind of old despite how great Charlotte herself has become
I mean, its the same problem with Becky Lynch on SmackDown. That problem mostly stems from the fact that Charlotte is obviously better than everyone else in the division at being a television character. I think Becky and Charlotte would do well in a renewed feud now when they've both established specific characters on the main roster, but obviously they're not on the same side of the roster.

The reason is because she a tall blonde white girl.

No, actually it's because Charlotte is really good at wrestling and at her character.

Sephzilla

The reason is because she a tall blonde white girl.

Charlotte has the Flair edge on her side as well as being a super attractive blonde woman. But c'mon, she's pretty legit as a wrestler on her own. I'd also argue that she's the single greatest product of the WWE Performance Center so far

imBask

Banned
it's because she looks good and women's revolution was a scam, and outside of the occasional good match it's still a bad division based on "omg u bitch I h8 u" storylines leaking from Total DIVAS

Drop the Vince kool-aid and watch some real women wrestling anywhere else

Fantomex

Cass is a bad promo. And when he tries to be serious it's even worse. The guy doesn't know how to actually sound intense, his definition of being intense is just yelling louder.

Which is why. Any time. He gives a serious promo. He. Talks. Like. William. Shatner. And. Then. Shouts. As. Loud. As. He. Can. When. He. Says. Something. Like. "I. WILL. BE. THE. NEXT. DOUBLE-U. DOUBLE-U. E. UNI. VERSAL. CHAMPION"

230.gif

Yeah, Charlotte is probably the biggest success of the PC. Good in the ring, on the promos and on character work whereas most trained originally there only really succeed with one field if they're lucky.

it's because she looks good and women's revolution was a scam, and outside of the occasional good match it's still a bad division based on "omg u bitch I h8 u" storylines leaking from Total DIVAS

I mean, neither Charlotte, Sasha or Bayley are on Total Divas. Nor have any of them called each other a bitch during any of their feuds.

Angry Grimace

I don't know why people keep saying this when there isn't actually some mecca of women's wrestling.

Heroman

Banned
Charlotte has the Flair edge on her side as well as being a super attractive blonde woman. But c'mon, she's pretty legit as a wrestler on her own. I'd also argue that she's the single greatest product of the WWE Performance Center so far.
I agree She is a great wreslter but the reason why she was pick to be Woman was that she was a flair and was a tall blonde. She everything WWE wants in a woman wreslter. I mean she was probably the weakest one in NXT and wouldn't have my first choice.

Pikma

Banned
You think JBL would bury the whole division on without approval?
Again, it's scripted, it's basically the higher ups sharing the message "we're not pleased by it's ratings but we know why it doesn't work", which you could already get by paying attention to how the division has been slowly but constantly changing.

I mean, three months ago that shit was filled with rest holds, right now they're allowed to do more things, including taking a lot more bumps, this being more noticeable during the last three weeks

Sephzilla

I agree She is a great wreslter but the reason why she was pick to be Woman was that she was a flair and was a tall blonde. She everything WWE wants in a woman wreslter. I mean she was probably the weakest one in NXT and wouldn't have my first choice.

I'd agree, she was behind Bayley and Sasha in terms of overall talent when they were all in NXT. On the flipside though, Charlotte was steadily improving at a surprising rate even in NXT (I think one year she was named most improved buy Sunny Mac's end of year poll). So I'm not entirely surprised she continued to get better even after hitting the main roster. Sasha, Becky, and Bayley all feel like they've plateaued a bit in comparison to Charlotte.

I agree that her look and last name definitely helped her along bit time but I think she would have gotten to were she is now even without the Flair name. Maybe just not as fast.

Angry Grimace

The King would like to have a word with you about the PUPPIES ERA

What does that have to do with anything regarding current Women's wrestling?

If there's anything you can give WWE credit for its turning the women's division around, even if it was a specific set of performers that did it (Charlotte and Becky, to be specific).

I'd agree, she was behind Bayley and Sasha in terms of overall talent when they were all in NXT. On the flipside though, Charlotte was steadily improving at a surprising rate even in NXT (I think one year she was named most improved buy Sunny Mac's end of year poll). So I'm not entirely surprised she continued to get better even after hitting the main roster. Sasha, Becky, and Bayley all feel like they've plateaued a bit in comparison to Charlotte.

I agree that her look and last name definitely helped her along bit time but I think she would have gotten to were she is now even without the Flair name. Maybe just not as fast.

Becky is beyond boring now. Resting on her laurels is an understatement for her.

If there's anything you can give WWE credit for its turning the women's division around, even if it was a specific set of performers that did it (Charlotte and Becky, to be specific).

It was a joke about their not being a mecca....tried lightening the mood because of how ridiculous king was during that time.

imBask

Banned

wouldn't you say that having the title move between Sasha and Charlotte 15 000 times in a month hurt the division? what's the point of a division if the belt is completely meaningless?

Sephzilla

Random thought, what's the worst recurring matchup featuring two wrestlers with little chemistry?
I'm thinking the surprising abundance of Orton vs Sheamus might outrank the Kane vs Taker matches which at least has WM14 going for them.

Shaemus/Del Rio is the winner here. But I'll throw out two others for consideration.

1) John Cena vs Randy Orton. As much as Vince wants this to be a legendary all time feud, I've always felt like these two just never click together. They'll put on decent matches at best against each other, but most of the time all of their encounters usually feel very mediocre and color-by-numbers.

2) Charlotte Flair vs Natalya. Both of them are great wrestlers on their own, but man, any time they faced each other they tended to put on really boring matches. Natalya is also not in the same league as Charlotte on the mic.

Hunter v everyone not named The Rock

Hunter vs Daniel Bryan is probably HHH's best match, though.

wouldn't you say that having the title move between Sasha and Charlotte 15 000 times in a month hurt the division? what's the point of a division if the belt is completely meaningless?

I'd argue it didn't, really, it was just the whole: "I'm Charlotte and I never lose on PPVs, blabla".

Top Bottom