• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Tagyhag

I'm really scared for Ember Moon's call up.

If she goes the way of Apollo Crews (I legit had to look up his name right now because I forgot it for a second) I'm going to be so pissed, so much amazing talent wasted. Find your niche Ember!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Charlotte's not the most talented person on the roster, but she's an example of being booked correctly. She gets boos because she's supposed to. She's basically the Roman of the women's division but they didn't fuck it up.

AJ Styles is the most talented person they have, but AJ couldn't get booed if they tried and at this point I have no idea if he's still a heel.

Kaladin

Charlotte's not the most talented person on the roster, but she's an example of being booked correctly. She gets boos because she's supposed to. She's basically the Roman of the women's division but they didn't fuck it up.

AJ Styles is the most talented person they have, but AJ couldn't get booed if they tried and at this point I have no idea if he's still a heel.

IMO, the success of the four horsewomen is all Sara Del Rey. It's like night and day from when she was at NXT developing those 4 on TV to her not being there now. She knew how to develop strengths and hide weaknesses. More importantly, she knew women's wrestling.

If she goes the way of Apollo Crews (I legit had to look up his name right now because I forgot it for a second) I'm going to be so pissed, so much amazing talent wasted. Find your niche Ember!

As silly as it may sound, if the NXT fanbase were to at least turn on her a bit that may give the booking team pause to try and fix the character.
Alas right now she seems to be over enough so they'll just leave her as this inconsistent character leading to as you say, a Crews situation where if she hits the main roster anytime soon she'll just be "that athletic wrestler...and that's it?"

I'm actually kinda miffed we've already jumped to Moon vs Asuka one on one when Cross never got that opportunity despite the booking of that fatal 4 way last takeover indicating that she may be able to bring it when Aussie Laycool weren't getting involved.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nikki Cross is going to be a bigger hit on the main roster than Ember Moon is. "Person with cool finisher" isn't a character.

Angry Grimace

And if we're gonna be hyperbolic, I'd go ahead and say I think Charlotte is literally the most talented WWE women's wrestler they've ever had. It's not an accident she's been the main character for almost 2 years.

maxresdefault.jpg
Giving us these vignettes only for her to be the bright bubbly babyface.

Kaladin

I don't think Ember Moon has been given time to develop a character. She's essentially any diva with Demon Balor looks and a cool finisher.

Billy Kay and Peyton Royce for whatever reason get all the screen time. I don't know why other than they do have some character about them but they can't wrestle for shit, it always reminds me of the Kelly Kelly era of divas when they are in the ring.

Meh...she's boring as fuck... and not world class talented enough in the ring to make up for it.

It's the most talented roster in general; you have people like Rusev and Sami Zayn who do almost nothing. The fact that the product is often bad is down to Vince and booking.

I'll argue it's time above booking

Why is it so freakin' cold in the middle of March? I'm even in the deep south, not in the north where they're experiencing the everstorm. It's gonna be freezing the next three nights here.

did we officially hit spring yet? I didn't even think we did.

Angry Grimace

Meh...she's boring as fuck... and not world class talented enough in the ring to make up for it.

We have no idea if that's true. She has nothing but squash matches to her name. It's the same problem with Nikki Cross, although Cross at the very least has a couple of matches.

They really, really, really needed to do a Cross/Moon feud before Asuka, although obviously they'll get there after Asuka moves on. Cross/Moon is the type of feud that, if it was followed up with great matches would re-ignite NXT's women's division, which has been stale (and not due to Asuka, its not her fault everyone around her is bad).

Zach

It upsets me how much Raw fucked up the womens division though. The booking could have been so simple and so effective. Have Charlotte win the belt at WrestleMania 32, have her reign over the division for an entire year (including having Sasha come up short a couple of times as an underdog face). Then you call up Bayley during the winter and have her put together a few wins and start to become a threat to Charlotte. Then you have Bayley triumphantly defeat Charlotte at WrestleMania. From there you have two really good booking paths.

1) Bayley, at Raw after Mania, is celebrating her win against Charlotte and suddenly Asuka's music kicks in and the woman who ended Bayley's NXT title run shows up.

2) After Bayley wins at WrestleMania, you get a heartfelt "everyone celebrates with Bayley" moment. Then suddenly Sasha pulls this

tumblr_nghvf1lW0L1sbzhteo1_400.gif

And Sasha turns heel because she thinks the title is way more attainable now.

But no, lets play hot potato with the belt for a fucking year and give away the best moment on free TV.
Mmhmm, mmhmm.

MG310

I don't recall Sheamus and ADR having bad chemistry so much, just simply too much content without reason.

Plus Sheamus had the absolute worst of WWE top face booking at that point. Happy and smiling but also stealing the heel's car while the announcers tell you how great it is.

Compare that to his current team with Cesaro and how naturally the crowd turned towards cheering for him over time.

I don't think Ember Moon has been given time to develop a character. She's essentially any diva with Demon Balor looks and a cool finisher.

Billy Kay and Peyton Royce for whatever reason get all the screen time. I don't know why other than they do have some character about them but they can't wrestle for shit, it always reminds me of the Kelly Kelly era of divas when they are in the ring.

Royce is solid in the ring, not spectacular but solid. Kay is not as good. But they are both excellent characters. LayCool 2.0

And give me a break Ember hasn't had time... look she can't even get her character down in her entrance... why would they give her extended promo time... look at the Takeover San Antonio pre-show? Plenty of time there and she was brutal.

Royce and Kay can talk and carry a story... Moon can't even stay in "character" during her freaking entrance.

I'm so sorry RBH.

Plus Sheamus had the absolute worst of WWE top face booking at that point. Happy and smiling but also stealing the heel's car while the announcers tell you how great it is.

Compare that to his current team with Cesaro and how naturally the crowd turned towards cheering for him over time.

LISTEN TO THE CROWD CHANTING LET'S GO SHEAMUS.

It's like they wanted that face run to flop.

RBH

Royce is solid in the ring, no spectacular but solid.

And give me a break she hasn't had time... look she can't even get her character down in her entrance...

Royce and Kay can talk and carry a story... Moon can't even stay in "character" during her freaking entrance.

Agreed.

Angry Grimace

Royce is solid in the ring, no spectacular but solid.

And give me a break she hasn't had time... look she can't even get her character down in her entrance...

Ember's only matches are against those two (who are not good workers) and jobbers. It's not surprising she feels stale this early into her run.

Foggy

Charlotte's easily the best worker on the roster and the best character. Both Becky and Sasha stagnated and everyone else mediocre to bad in the ring. Mickie was a nice surprise though. Charlotte >>> Sasha, Becky, Mickie >>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else.

In terms of in ring talent, the main roster is the best it's ever been but that's a bit of damning with faint praise. Women's tournament should help but who knows who will acclimate to WWE's shitty prebaked characters and who won't. I doubt things will get markedly better to be honest.

Angry Grimace

I don't buy that Becky has stagnated beyond the fact that she's booked as a perpetual underdog in a division that mostly revolves around what she happens to be doing. And yes, there are plenty of undercard feuds in SD, but for the most part, when they run out of ideas for the title, they just say "what about Becky?" because she's clearly the No. 1 character, but the rest of the talent doesn't really match up.

Angry Grimace

hopefully she'll end up on Smackdown

It would turn into the perpetual Asuka v. Becky division. Like I literally see them running that out 5+ times in the next calendar year if that's where she goes.

The worst thing about the women's division is the mic skills.

After Charlotte and Alexa maybe. Those two are probably top 10/top 15 on the stick in WWE right now.

Honestly I'd consider doing something where Asuka has no brand... she can just go where she wants to start. Feel out where she fits best

Now that I think about it, could the WWE have just put a respective division on each brand?

RAW: Heavyweight, Womans
Smackdown: Inter, Tag

I know this pigeon holes things a bit, but I think WWE could make it so certain people can float.

^ I'd like that because the split leaves a very small selection on both sides of the brands, it's part of the reason hot potato has been a thing on Raw.

Giving Gutter Trash the rub!

I don't buy that Becky has stagnated beyond the fact that she's booked as a perpetual underdog in a division that mostly revolves around what she happens to be doing. And yes, there are plenty of undercard feuds in SD, but for the most part, when they run out of ideas for the title, they just say "what about Becky?" because she's clearly the No. 1 character, but the rest of the talent doesn't really match up.

I'm glad someone covered this so I didn't have to, Becky is still solid, she just has a rather wishy washy division to work with in regards to in ring talent.
A division mind you that comes across more enjoyable than Raw's simply based on solid booking, I could even throw in the likes of Maryse and Carmella here.

Foggy

Curious how Kairi's moveset will be affected when she drops into NXT considering she has a spear and "phenomenal forearm" as part of her late match moveset. It'd be a shame if she had to drop those. It appears WWE is more open to top rope offense for women so hopefully she keeps her awesome elbow drop.

Tall4Life

Now that I think about it, could the WWE have just put a respective division on each brand?

RAW: Heavyweight, Womans
Smackdown: Inter, Tag

I know this pigeon holes things a bit, but I think WWE could make it so certain people can float.
By putting a group of people in the Intercontinental division (which is what I assume Inter is) then you're automatically conveying to the audience that these are the B guys. The most they'll win is the IC title while on Smackdown. Meanwhile on Raw you get to see the real main event talent.

If the IC title was treated like it is in NJPW this might be ok but decades of learning has made it the complete opposite in WWE.

Curious how Kairi's moveset will be affected when she drops into NXT considering she has a spear and "phenomenal forearm" as part of her late match moveset. It'd be a shame if she had to drop those. It appears WWE is more open to top rope offense for women so hopefully she keeps her awesome elbow drop.

I can already see the elbow drop being reworked to be safer and much more tame.

Maybe not in NXT, but when she hits the main roster without a doubt.

Angry Grimace

I still maintain Asuka would fuck so hard with the balance of the Smackdown women...

It's not a bad problem to have. She's over and good at wrestling. She'd eventually lose to Becky, but if they were smart they'd have Asuka just dominate until the next WM.

Cosmozone

I'm not into the Charlotte hype now as I weren't into the hate earlier. She's somewhat stale to me now, though, and needs a booking shakeup.

By putting a group of people in the Intercontinental division (which is what I assume Inter is) then you're automatically conveying to the audience that these are the B guys. The most they'll win is the IC title while on Smackdown. Meanwhile on Raw you get to see the real main event talent.

If the IC title was treated like it is in NJPW this might be ok but decades of learning has made it the complete opposite in WWE.

Yeah I realize this which is why I made the pigeon hole comment. But coming up in the 80s and 90s we thought of the IC as the B-Tier champs. It was a respected belt but you always knew WHC was the king.

Top Bottom