• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

klonere

Banned
TL;DR every match at X7 sucked except the main event and the angle killed modern wrestling (but was a good idea, probably?)

https://www.legitshook.com/strobogos-wrasslin-potpourri-reviews/wwf-wrestlemania-17?rq=WRESTLEMANIA

Chris Jericho vs William Regal
"The lack of in ring chemistry is palpable...super hot crowd has already died down for the most part..."

Right to Censor vs Tazz/APA
"Tazz is a MESS in this, being completely blown up in 90 seconds..."

Raven vs Big Show vs Kane
"After lots of mindless dumb "hardcore" shit, the match comes back out to the stage...That was a match. I guess"

Eddie Guerrero vs Test
"Eddie then focuses on the leg, which does not appear to be what the original plan for the match was, since they're both stalling and looking confused. Very awkward match"

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit
"An hour in, the show finally has something that should be more Raw filler...This started good, but really took a hit once they started doing a traditional WWF match instead of the cool ass amateur stuff they started with. The change came as soon as Angle threw the fist strike, and you can see them get more and more finisher trading/spammy/Attitudinal every few moves from that point. "

Shane McMahon vs Vince McMahon
"So now you have "Daddy's Girl" fighting with Daddy's mistress as mommy is in a wheel chair, comatose...70% of the match was Shane taking a nap after the table bump while Steph/Trish/Linda got their fuckery on..."

Hardy Boys vs Dudley Boys vs Edge & Christian
"I'm not sure these matches are fun to watch anymore....Of course there is no story of any kind in the match. It's just setups for dangerous spots. And for what? It's not like they were adding to their craft by doing a stunt show..."

Gimmick Battle Royal
"I'm pretty disgusted that Michael Hayes got a WM pay day."

Triple H vs The Undertaker
"All flash, no substance. Again."

The Rock vs Steve Austin
"THIS actually is a classic. As much as I shit on the Attitude Era, this took all the best parts of it, with the two guys who were best at it, and they had a war with more emotion and story than anything on the show by a very large margin...Great storytelling in and out of the ring"

Recall

TL;DR every match at X7 sucked except the main event and the angle killed modern wrestling (but was a good idea, probably?)

https://www.legitshook.com/strobogos-wrasslin-potpourri-reviews/wwf-wrestlemania-17?rq=WRESTLEMANIA

"The lack of in ring chemistry is palpable...super hot crowd has already died down for the most part..."

"After lots of mindless dumb "hardcore" shit, the match comes back out to the stage...That was a match. I guess"

Eddie Guerrero vs Test
"Eddie then focuses on the leg, which does not appear to be what the original plan for the match was, since they're both stalling and looking confused. Very awkward match"

"An hour in, the show finally has something that should be more Raw filler...This started good, but really took a hit once they started doing a traditional WWF match instead of the cool ass amateur stuff they started with. The change came as soon as Angle threw the fist strike, and you can see them get more and more finisher trading/spammy/Attitudinal every few moves from that point. "

"So now you have "Daddy's Girl" fighting with Daddy's mistress as mommy is in a wheel chair, comatose...70% of the match was Shane taking a nap after the table bump while Steph/Trish/Linda got their fuckery on..."

"I'm not sure these matches are fun to watch anymore....Of course there is no story of any kind in the match. It's just setups for dangerous spots. And for what? It's not like they were adding to their craft by doing a stunt show..."

Gimmick Battle Royal
I'm pretty disgusted that Michael Hayes got a WM pay day.

The Rock vs Steve Austin
"THIS actually is a classic. As much as I shit on the Attitude Era, this took all the best parts of it, with the two guys who were best at it, and they had a war with more emotion and story than anything on the show by a very large margin...Great storytelling in and out of the ring"

Each to their own. You're wrong but you're happy so enjoy.

Sephzilla

I've always kind of felt that WrestleMania 18 was underrated and WrestleMania 17 was a tad over rated. 17's ending is still hot garbage

Caderfix

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is my favorite one, because I watched it as a kid and Destoroyah reminded me of Giratina from Pokemon and I thought that was awesome. No idea how it holds up.

Heroman

Banned

Eddie Guerrero vs Test

Gimmick Battle Royal

The Rock vs Steve Austin
This is all wrong.

klonere

Banned
I cannot imagine the orgasmic glee Vince had having a part in a show parodying that SOUTHERN WRASSLIN that he hated so much he nuked it from the face of the earth.

I mean, wrestling fans are going to watch wrestlemania. It hasn't been a wall-to-wall good show since 30, though. That's true of most PPVs, but WM just happens to have more eyeballs on it.

The thing I'm most interested in is if they add Finn/Joe to the Rollins/HHH match to try and cover Rollins' injury. It makes perfect sense to do that (and has a bunch of stories built in - Rollins injured Balor, but turned face, so he can make amends/Joe injured Rollins/Finn lost his title in NXT to Joe), but I don't know if that's something they'd do since it "ruins" the HHH match.

If Rollins can't go the smart thing is to have Rollins take HHH out before Mania and then Joe takes Rollins out and the Finn saves Rollins... and it's Joe vs Balor as proxies and you do Seth vs HHH either at Summerslam or next year's Mania

Recall

WM17 had actual build and payoff while generating a new story with Austin. From Royal Rumble to No Way Out to WM17 it was all perfect. RAWs and Smackdown too.

TLC2 was only the third match like it ,if you count the triangle ladder match at WM16. No one was tired of it in 2001. The match was and is insanely entertaining. But it sucks now because 16 years later the match type has been drilled into the ground?

Where are the actual people who were watching week to week from 1999 to 2001? Where is the actual context? Not thinking WM17 is the best Mania ever. I can understand. But saying it's a one match show is hyperbolic to the nth degree.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Except it's not old.

e37.png

Eddie Guerrero vs Test

Gimmick Battle Royal

The Rock vs Steve Austin
Agree completely with everything but TLC and the hardcore Kane match

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If Rollins can't go the smart thing is to have Rollins take HHH out before Mania and then Joe takes Rollins out and the Finn saves Rollins... and it's Joe vs Balor as proxies and you do Seth vs HHH either at Summerslam or next year's Mania

I don't see why they can't just make it a tag and put all of the "moments" into whenever Seth is in the ring, but let the healthy guys do most of the action. It's not the same thing as a "one on one" confrontation, but Sting/HHH wasn't either and there's nothing actually on the line anyways.

Pikma

Banned
Did O'Reilly leave ROH because of Adam Cole?
Nah, the rumors are that both of them we're leaving for WWE, but at some point ROH hit WWE with legal threats so they are supposedly waiting for a certain period of time to pass before even negotiating.

I'm pretty sure both will sign tho

Cole will probably use this time to get surgery for that huge ass cyst, so it's a win win for everyone lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nah, the rumors are that both of them we're leaving for WWE, but at some point ROH hit WWE with legal threats so they are supposedly waiting for a certain period of time to pass before even negotiating.

Cole will probably use this time to get surgery for that huge ass cyst, so it's a win win for everyone lol

He's not even allowed to negotiate until April. They made a legal threat saying his contract had to be extended due to time he missed with an injury (kind of the same thing they do to force Daniel Bryan to stay contracted to WWE).

Eddie Guerrero vs Test

Gimmick Battle Royal

The Rock vs Steve Austin
Look who wrote this shit. Of course they'd say something stupid.

I don't see why they can't just make it a tag and put all of the "moments" into whenever Seth is in the ring, but let the healthy guys do most of the action. It's not the same thing as a "one on one" confrontation, but Sting/HHH wasn't either and there's nothing actually on the line anyways.

Because a tag match cheapens the big HHH/Rollins confrontation...

And Sting/HHH fucking sucked. Rollins deserves better.

Pikma

Banned
He's not even allowed to negotiate until April. They made a legal threat saying his contract had to be extended due to time he missed with an injury (kind of the same thing they do to force Daniel Bryan to stay contracted to WWE).
Yes they did that to Cole but the legal threats to WWE are something different, and probably pretty well founded considering WWE didn't ignore them, there's a reason O'Reilly hasn't signed

Ahh O'Reilly in WWE is an amazing thought.

Angry Grimace

Because a tag match cheapens the big HHH/Rollins confrontation...

And Sting/HHH fucking sucked. Rollins deserves better.

The problem here is that that they need to protect Rollins. He's the No. 1 babyface (in reality) on the main brand.

It also solves the problem of getting Samoa Joe and Finn Balor into matches at WrestleMania.

Yes they did that to Cole but the legal threats to WWE are something different, and probably pretty well founded considering WWE didn't ignore them, there's a reason O'Reilly hasn't signed

I just meant the ROH contract extension was like Bryan. The other issue is one of tortuous interference, which is why WWE does not negotiate with anyone under contract. Ricochet is another example of that - WWE wants him, he wants to go to WWE, but he was under contract so they don't even bring it up. I think he's now a free agent, but NXT signings (TNA stars notwithstanding since Roode came in by himself and immediately was the top heel) occur in rounds as opposed to bringing a single guy in - so I can only assume that (assuming the interest is still there) that's something that will happen whenever Cole and O'Reilly are brought in.

The problem here is that that they need to protect Rollins. He's the No. 1 babyface (in reality) on the main brand.

It also solves the problem of getting Samoa Joe and Finn Balor into matches at WrestleMania.

Right which is why extending the story so it gets its proper one on one match is what should be done. Don't fuck it up with a tag match designed to keep Rollins and HHH apart until basically the finish.

Have Joe fucking wreck Rollins and take him off TV until like late June. Have him fight Joe (you stole my wrwstlemania from me) at the July PPV and win and then Hunter at Summerslam.

Angry Grimace

Right which is why extending the story so it gets its proper one on one match is what should be done. Don't fuck it up with a tag match designed to keep Rollins and HHH apart until basically the finish.

Have Joe fucking wreck Rollins and take him off TV until like late June. Have him fight Joe (you stole my wrwstlemania from me) at the July PPV and win and then Hunter at Summerslam.
I don't think it would fuck it up, especially if HHH goes over.

I think the problem is the fact that I don't know if they're willing to come to terms with the fact that they can't get the satisfying conclusion to this that they're looking for at WrestleMania without just doing a super safe match that doesn't do much for anyone involved.

Pikma

Banned
Going by that UUDD thing Stephanie McMahon sounds like the most boring person ever, at least she seems pretty involved with the kids their charity works with.

Oh and her laugh is so so annoying

I hope that Southpaw Regional Wrestling thing pays off and isn't lame

If they also just put it on Youtube instead of the Network, they are idiots

Top Bottom