• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeesh, finally got around to looking at what happened with Maddow. Looks like the WH worked her into a shoot.

Beefy

People are down on EVERY Wrestlemania. 17, 19 etc all had their doubters and complainers and it wasn't until the show was over did they finally just realise that until the show is done, complaining about it just is wasted breath. Though it never matters as the doubters will always exist as pessimism is more enjoyable than optimism.

Nah. This is one of the first Mania's I am close to not watching. All it needs is a certain orange racist and I am skipping.

so Bray went full Metal Gear Solid V on us?

https://youtu.be/X2Dclz1KjeQ

Bray rubbing his Sister/mothers ashes into his face and enjoying it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People are down on EVERY Wrestlemania. 17, 19 etc all had their doubters and complainers and it wasn't until the show was over did they finally just realise that until the show is done, complaining about it just is wasted breath. Though it never matters as the doubters will always exist as pessimism is more enjoyable than optimism.

I mean, wrestling fans are going to watch wrestlemania. It hasn't been a wall-to-wall good show since 30, though. That's true of most PPVs, but WM just happens to have more eyeballs on it.

The thing I'm most interested in is if they add Finn/Joe to the Rollins/HHH match to try and cover Rollins' injury. It makes perfect sense to do that (and has a bunch of stories built in - Rollins injured Balor, but turned face, so he can make amends/Joe injured Rollins/Finn lost his title in NXT to Joe), but I don't know if that's something they'd do since it "ruins" the HHH match.

MRW Seth Curbstomps big nose
SekimotoisHard.jpg

Recall

With Wrestlemania 23 it never felt like it was about Trump, Vince, Lashley or Umaga. The whole thing feels designed to do nothing more than ride the cotails of an out of date Steve Austin stunning everyone.

For an angle that drew the monster buyrate it did nothing for the full time wrestlers just the part time sheriff getting another over Vince. Wrestlemania moment etc

Sephzilla

Every form of Godzilla aside from the 1998 Godzilla would probably destroy most of the Kaiju and Jaegers from Pacific Rim. Final Wars Godzilla would be like a category 17 Kaiju

Sephzilla

Where would Kong from Skull Island fit on that scale?

Skull Island Kong would probably be a little bit lower on the scale. [Kong spoilers]
Kong in this movie is still an adolescent and he gets kind of easily hurt by heavy firepower, helicopter rotors, and fire. Plus he's undersized compared to 2014 Godzilla and the Pacific Rim monsters/robots. By the time he shows up to fight Godzilla he'll be fully grown and badass.

Even when you look at the well received mania events they generally have cards that contain the odd lacklustre encounter and so on. Always seems a bit presumptuous to assume the worst in advance.

I can almost imagine the internet looking over the X7 card prior to the event.
Austin/Rock again? urrrgh, Kane should've gone over at the rumble to cement him and Angle should've retained but nope we gotta rehash WM15 again now with awful Debra storylines.
Can't believe Eddie is being wasted on Test, damn Vince's hard on for big guys!
A complete repeat of the triangle ladder match which was repeated at summerslam to boot, this tag division is so stale!
Taker can't go anymore, supreme worker Triple H is gonna have to carry his lazy ass.

Negativity is easy peasy.

31 is one of the best wresltemaninas.
It was one heck of a surprise I gotta say.

It's not a great version.

Is it possible to have a great version of Talisman? it's more of a novelty surely.
Like the time I spent most of the game as a Samurai constantly going in the wrong direction because another player got the rather useless witch doctor and kept bumping into me.

The original art is hilarious though.

Kaladin

This remains the single greatest middle finger to someone else's work I've ever seen in a movie. Toho took the 1998 Godzilla and made him canon to the main Godzilla universe for the sole purpose of completely shitting on him and having 98 Zilla job to the real Godzilla in the shortest fight in franchise history.

Ice fucking cold.

It was deserved.

Sephzilla

I should watch Godzilla movies one day, it's always piqued my interest.

Oddly enough Godzilla movies scratch a similar "dumb entertainment" itch that wrestling does. Even has some of the same booking. New up and coming heel monster shows up, usually beats Godzilla up (or one of his buddies), and then Godzilla returns to get his win back at the end. The 90s Japanese movies made it better by turning Godzilla into a tweener who will save Tokyo and then give it a Stone Cold Stunner on the way out.

It also helps that the Godzilla franchise has put out a couple of legitimately solid movies, too.

Never been into Godzilla,Kong, Pacific Rim. So all this shit is flying over my head.

It's like wrasslin but with big monsters and Mechas, it's fun!

This remains the single greatest middle finger to someone else's work I've ever seen in a movie. Toho took the 1998 Godzilla and made him canon to the main Godzilla universe for the sole purpose of completely shitting on him and having 98 Zilla job to the real Godzilla in the shortest fight in franchise history.

Ice fucking cold.

Real talk, when that movie came out I had a cousin my age that loved it so much he made us eat tuna every single day for like 6 months before going to school because he wanted to be like Godzilla. We were like 6-7.

WTF, I'm down for whatever that's gonna be.

klonere

Banned
Even when you look at the well received mania events they generally have cards that contain the odd lacklustre encounter and so on. Always seems a bit presumptuous to assume the worst in advance.

I can almost imagine the internet looking over the X7 card prior to the event.
Austin/Rock again? urrrgh, Kane should've gone over at the rumble to cement him and Angle should've retained but nope we gotta rehash WM15 again now with awful Debra storylines.
Can't believe Eddie is being wasted on Test, damn Vince's hard on for big guys!
A complete repeat of the triangle ladder match which was repeated at summerslam to boot, this tag division is so stale!
Taker can't go anymore, supreme worker Triple H is gonna have to carry his lazy ass.

I have an actual review written in this style

https://www.legitshook.com/strobogos-wrasslin-potpourri-reviews/wwf-wrestlemania-17?rq=WRESTLEMANIA

Angry Grimace

Up next, they're gonna put the "Strange Kentucky People" video on the Network! (Obviously not) For those who haven't read Chris Jericho's first book, this was a video he received from a random Kentucky-area fan of him when he was in a tag team in Smoky Mountain Wrestling called the Thrillseekers (with Lance Storm):

"I was hanging around between matches at another of our regular towns, Paintsville, Kentucky, when a girl came up to me and gave me a videotape. She stared at the ground while she stuttered and spit out "Chris Jericho, I love you. I made a tape of your matches just for you. It's got all your matches that you ever had in SMW." Then she turned tail and split. I was honoured that she'd put them all on one tape as a present but when I watched the tape, it didn't contain any matches. What it did contain however, was much more entertaining.

The tape featured the girl and her hillbilly mountain family performing for me...and what a show it was. It began with her looking into the camera like a deer in headlights. She resembled Chris Farley dressed as Meatloaf circa 1977 and was wearing a shirt with a rebel flag on it that said "You wear your colors, I'll wear mine." She began her dissertation and said, " I made this tape for you, Chris Jericho (She always called me by my full name). We love you Chris Jericho. You're my favourite rassler, Chris Jericho, and I really love you Chris Jericho." She wiped the snot out of her nose.

Then she became Annie Wilkes from Misery and started speaking gibbersish like, "Well look. Here's a white googleberry. Fleezin Fibble Foo!" She began dancing as the rest of her family came into the frame like Oompa Loompas. They were all smacking each other's butts and doing the most bizarre version of the Electric Slide, while chanting in Unison, "Electric Slide, Electric Slide, Electric Slide" Like some kind of disco cult. Then a kid who I'm guessing was her brother or husband-or both- explained how much he like watching rasslin', then farted twice. Then his mother or wife-or both-who literally had NO teeth, patted him on the butt and commented on his fragrance. There was a bed in the middle of the living room and on the wall behind it were two pictures : One of Jesus and one of Ricky and Robert. Both photos were at the exact same level, which I'm sure was a huge honour for the Savior.

Farleyloaf wandered back in a gave a shout-out to Lance. "I like you too, Lance! Here's a wheelbarra", and then she started to push around a child's toy wheelbarrow while performing a massive booty shake. The camera panned to her left, only to find the fartster walking like a crab for no apparent reason. Then the camera panned into the yard where there was a battalion of rusted old vehicles, each housing a sad--eyed dog. In the background trying his hardest to stay out of camera range but failing miserabley was an old American Gothic-looking farmer who I'm assuming was responsible for the whole mess. T The camera spun back around, passing the Amazing Crab Boy tm and settling on a lady with a worse Lloyd Christmas Dumb and Dumber haircut than Jim Carrey. She stayed in the shot long enough to say, "I love the Thrillseekers. I want to have two kids called Chris and Lance and have a dog called Storm" It was much creepier than it sounds, beleive me.

These people were either the greates actors of our generation or complete lunatics and I don't think they were thespians. Nor do I think they knew what thespian means. I still don't know why she gave me the tape. Did she think I'd watch it and become so enamored of her family that I'd come over for farts and crabwalks? If I wanted to impress Jessica Simpson, I sure as hell wouldn't give her a tape of me picking my nose and doing the Electric Slide. But then again maybe it's just crazy enough to work.....

Somehow the video got around and became a cult classic on the tape trading circuit under the name "Strange Kentucky People" Look for it wherever fine hillbilly videos are sold, and if you act now, you get a free Rock n' Roll Express/Son of God portrait package! I was also semiresponsible for another tape-trading classic known as "Jim Cornette vs. The Drive Thru."

There have been a lot of calls to find this video, but Jericho himself has said he didn't want to out the family that made it. The Cornette Drive Thru video is around though, its just Cornette in a van full of wrestlers screaming at a lady for getting all of his orders wrong.

Oddly enough Godzilla movies scratch a similar "dumb entertainment" itch that wrestling does. Even has some of the same booking. New up and coming heel monster shows up, usually beats Godzilla up (or one of his buddies), and then Godzilla returns to get his win back at the end. The 90s Japanese movies made it better by turning Godzilla into a tweener who will save Tokyo and then give it a Stone Cold Stunner on the way out.

It also helps that the Godzilla franchise has put out a couple of legitimately solid movies, too.
Yeah, I'm certainly not above dumb, switch your brain off entertainment. I mean just look at my avatar :p

What are some movies you'd recommend?

Kaladin

They did this Southpaw Regional Wrestling show in total secrecy too. There is nothing online about it aside from the video and articles about it.

Sephzilla

Yeah, I'm certainly not above dumb, switch your brain off entertainment. I mean just look at my avatar :p

What are some movies you'd recommend?

The original Gojira is pretty much required viewing. I'd also recommend Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (the 70s version), Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla Final Wars, Godzilla 2014.

The entire run of Godzilla movies 1984 though 1995 is basically the best collective chunk in the franchise in my opinion. The 60s and 70s movies were basically one-off stories that didn't have much continuity. Return of Godzilla in 1984 was the first reboot of the franchise and it played like a direct sequel to the original 1954 movie, and every movie from that one up until 1995 was a pretty solid series of movies with a nice established continuity.

Godzilla Final Wars came out in 2004 and its basically Godzilla + DragonBall Z + all of the cocaine ever. It's nuts and it gets progressively more rediculous as the movie goes on. For example: at one point during the movie Godzilla basically does a kamehameha version of his atomic breath to blow up a meteor from fucking orbital distance away.

The original Gojira is pretty much required viewing. I'd also recommend Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (the 70s version), Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla Final Wars, Godzilla 2014.

The entire run of Godzilla movies 1984 though 1995 is basically the best collective chunk in the franchise in my opinion. The 60s and 70s movies were basically one-off stories that didn't have much continuity. Return of Godzilla in 1984 was the first reboot of the franchise and it played like a direct sequel to the original 1954 movie, and every movie from that one up until 1995 was a pretty solid series of movies with a nice established continuity.

Godzilla Final Wars came out in 2004 and its basically Godzilla + DragonBall Z + all of the cocaine ever. It's nuts and it gets progressively more rediculous as the movie goes on. For example: at one point during the movie Godzilla basically does a kamehameha version of his atomic breath to blow up a meteor from fucking orbital distance away.
I'll check these out, thanks!

Top Bottom