• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

Talent spoilers for the TNA tapings this week

Kongo Kong from GFW, Mario Bokara from WrestlePro, GFW champ Magnus

Brooke Adams won't be there, might be done with the company also

Low Ki was asked to come back, refused

Kornflayx

I won my match despite the crooked ref. Kornflayx put up a good fight and I respect that.

My knockout was a bit late, you pinned me while I was under the ropes. The ref's fucked up tonight.

How about a rematch Syder? No rope breaks, no count outs, no disqualification. I WANT ANOTHER CHANCE

Zs430Y0.gif

Also, I love fisherman Joe, LOL

Kane should come back on Smackdown and get pissed at Randy for turning on him as part of Orton's infiltrate the Wyatts charade and take extra umbrage with Orton burning Sister Abigail's corpse and Wyatt's sanctuary in front of Bray... citing his own intimate familiarity with the psychological wounds fire can cause.

Hasney

Fire Pro announcement or whatever is today. They better not fuck with me.

Kane should come back on Smackdown and get pissed at Randy for turning on him as part of Orton's infiltrate the Wyatts charade and take extra umbrage with Orton burning Sister Abigail's corpse and Wyatt's sanctuary in front of Bray... citing his own intimate familiarity with the psychological wounds fire can cause.

When does someone have sex with a corpse?

Also I am now convinced the only people who pay attention to the wrestling they are paid to review are the guys from the LAW....

Everyone else keeps saying why did Orton give up his title shot only to turn and stupid shit like that.... I honestly feel bad for the WWE here, for once they actually have a seriously long term planned out angle, with clear and direct foreshadowing to explain the actions everyone took and folks just default to the WWE writers are stupid and illogical talking point because they weren't paying attention.

Same goes with the complaint about face or heel... this is the next chapter for a story, maybe if you think it paints Wyatt as the babyface that's intentional. Instead of bitching right away...why not wait till the next chapter for the story before bitching about who is the heel and who is the face here.

I think I'm just salty though because I'd love to get into wrestling journalism and feel like I'd do a better job lol.

Also I am now convinced the only people who pay attention to the wrestling they are paid to review are the guys from the LAW....

Everyone else keeps saying why did Orton give up his title shot only to turn and stupid shit like that.... I honestly feel bad for the WWE here, for once they actually have a seriously long term planned out angle, with clear and direct foreshadowing to explain the actions everyone took and folks just default to the WWE writers are stupid and illogical talking point because they weren't paying attention.

Same goes with the complaint about face or heel... this is the next chapter for a story, maybe if you think it paints Wyatt as the babyface that's intentional. Instead of bitching right away...why not wait till the next chapter for the story before bitching about who is the heel and who is the face here.

I think I'm just salty though because I'd love to get into wrestling journalism and feel like I'd do a better job lol.

You and me both, good lord. This has been THE angle for Smackdown, one that couldn't possibly be easier to follow...and it goes right over their heads.

Hasney

I'm expecting mobile title but crave a PS4 game.

There's been random rumours since November 2015 that it was coming to Switch, before we even really knew what Switch was.

CTvKsgXUcAEfhpw.jpg:large

Hopefully that means at least one console, preferably multi-platform.

You and me both, good lord. This has been THE angle for Smackdown, one that couldn't possibly be easier to follow...and it goes right over their heads.

I'm hoping they stretch out the uncertainty for one more week. Book AJ V Orton since Orton verbally gave up his contract or something and if you want to move on AJ V Shane more too, Shane as the special ref.

Aiii

So not worth it
Getting a new colleague soon, her last name is Bischoff, I'm afraid she's gonna turn on me in a meeting some day, any tips?

Adree

Bryan Alvarez is such a dumbshit. He's talking with Tom about the Miz promo and hates it because the Miz is telling lies and ignoring Tom telling him that he's a heel. Meltzer must be rubbing off on him.

Adree

John and Wei are the only good Smackdown reviewers (well I do love Filthy Tom though) because they recap Talking Smack which is the most important part of the show!

It right pisses me off because here I am wanting to talk about how fucking well written and set up this has ended up being. Bluntly until last week I was dreading the turn because I expected it to be something obvious like an RKO out of nowhere (ironically which is the thing all these analysts, who would then probably complain that it was obvious, have been suggesting should have happened instead) with a clear Randy face/Bray heel setup building to an Orton title win at Mania.... It wasn't until that great promo last week, where Bray said Orton was his true brother and had earned the right to learn all of Bray's secrets and also the keys to his kingdom, that I realized we were going to get something closer to what happened this week, and I still didn't expect it to be this out there.

So now instead of your basic ha ha ha I fooled you RKO now let us wrestle for I am the heroic face who attacked other faces while pretending to be a bad guy just to screw over a guy who beat me in a wrestling match. We now have a well built fucking blood feud on our hands.

And I really do hope Orton is the heel in this, consider the lengths he went just because he lost a wrestling a match to Bray Wyatt... I mean you cheated to beat me so now I'm going to go undercover for months so that I can eventually dig up the corpse of your sister and burn her and your compound down in front of you, is a pretty fucked up level of escalation.

It also made this Royal Rumble win retroactively one of the best choices for a Rumble victor in almost what? A decade? At the time it seemed like just a means (in combination with Wyatt's EC title win) to an end of this partnership. Now it (and Orton's fake refusal to fight) served as the narrative key to escalating this from a more generic turn on your partner title feud match to a literal fucking blood feud that could go just about anywhere...

I am convinced a lot of folks don't want to like WWE because bitching gets them hits.

Getting a new colleague soon, her last name is Bischoff, I'm afraid she's gonna turn on me in a meeting some day, any tips?

Don't ever let her give you only 3 minutes to talk or make a presentation

Bryan Alvarez is such a dumbshit. He's talking with Tom about the Miz promo and hates it because the Miz is telling lies and ignoring Tom telling him that he's a heel. Meltzer must be rubbing off on him.

I mean even ignoring that yeah a heel makes shit up, what is he saying Miz really lied about?

Browny

Banned
Just starting GWF, I'm buckled in for a wild ride.

Holy shit, Fisherman Joe...

Edit: Seph - you've outdone yourself on these CAWS. Lmao at
NVM

Adree

I mean even ignoring that yeah a heel makes shit up, what is he saying Miz really lied about?

About losing opportunities to Cena and that Cena is a part timer when Miz goes off and makes movies too. It's fucking lunacy because of course Miz was embellishing everything because that's what heels do.

Adree

AV Club did a piece on Surf's Up 2
http://www.avclub.com/article/they-made-sequel-surfs-10-years-later-and-it-only--251213

And while Cena has shown sketch-ready comic timing, he mostly plays the straight man to The Undertaker—whose classic ring persona is sort of like a Richard Stanley character crossed with an angry grandfather clock—and the seventysomething McMahon. The latter is represented here as a humongous otter with a natural cravat of old-man chest hair, and at one point he has a thought-balloon daydream about sucking milk out of the anus of a fish.

Even animated movies have to have shit that McMahon pops for.

About losing opportunities to Cena and that Cena is a part timer when Miz goes off and makes movies too. It's fucking lunacy because of course Miz was embellishing everything because that's what heels do.

Yep and also it's still not much of a lie, Miz was a complete afterthought in the Mania main event he was part of thanks to Cena making it all about The Rock, and Miz might do a movie every now and then but he's not nearly the part time Cena is.

So Bray interrupted Orton's promo, fucked with him for a few weeks, and beat him in a wrestling match. Orton's response to this was to betray Kane to get in with The Wyatt Family, Turn Luke against Bray so he wouldn't have anyone left to help him out, and gain Bray's trust so he could get into their compound and burn the body of Bray's sister(?) while he watches. In kayfabe, the rest of the locker room shouldn't even dream of messing with Orton after this, holy shit.

Kornflayx

I also want to thank Seph for going through all that trouble with 2k17.

Couldn't be there live, but it made my morning

despite the goddamn ref

Jim Ross gets it:

Interesting conclusion to SD Live Tuesday night that created a memorable visual for sure. Not sure who the protagonist and the antagonist in this creative equation was supposed to be but Bray Wyatt seemed to come off as a somewhat sympathetic character after Orton’s heinous deed of arson. Based on what I have seen thus far, I’d book Orton as the villain and Bray as the character ‘face but you likely already knew that. I simply feel that’s what the fans would prefer to see based on their reactions to both talents.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/811...nett-marias-tna-departure#S2tALwAqUJBMKr9Y.99

So Bray interrupted Orton's promo, fucked with him for a few weeks, and beat him in a wrestling match. Orton's response to this was to betray Kane to get in with The Wyatt Family, Turn Luke against Bray so he wouldn't have anyone left to help him out, and gain Bray's trust so he could get into their compound and burn the body of Bray's sister(?) while he watches. In kayfabe, the rest of the locker room shouldn't even dream of messing with Orton after this, holy shit.

Yep...

It's horror movie level psychopathy and I kinda love it, and I really hope they make Orton the heel.

This Mania has some of the most long term booking the company has done in ages:

Lesnar/Goldberg since before Survivor Series
Owens/Jericho since Summer 2016
Orton/Wyatt since September 2016
Rollins/HHH off and on since the brand split
Raw women's title match maybe a bit of a stretch but assuming it's the four way it has been building in various ways more or less since the brand split.

gun_haver

Haha, yeah. It is a little bit like the Scott Tenorman episode of South Park.

Randy doesn't really have any weaknesses. He's booked very strongly, and he has no allegiances or elements to his character which Bray could exploit in revenge.

Bray's fucked.

Haha, yeah. It is a little bit like the Scott Tenorman episode of South Park.

Randy doesn't really have any weaknesses. He's booked very strongly, and he has no allegiances or elements to his character which Bray could exploit in revenge.

Bray's fucked.

They should just cop the ending to Orton vs Lesnar but make the match last longer and have it be a blade job and just have Wyatt beat the living fuck out of Orton until he can't continue....

Pikma

Banned
I think I'll be disappointed in any ending to Orton/Bray that DOESN'T involve some sort of fuckery or post-match shenanigans.
There's no way there's not a lot of fuckery involved in that match, Rowan is cleared and Harper is set to reunite with Bray now that Orton did his thing

klonere

Banned

Alvarez is a fucking hack and his talking points are inexplicably repeated with zero critical thinking. He's influenced an entire wave of hacks to take up his mantle of AVGN/Channel Awesome style unfunny "I AM ANGRY AT THIS BAD POP CULTURE LISTEN TO MY RAGE HAHAH" TNA rants. Thus we get the awful quality of analysis that you speak of here. John and Wai stay winning though.

Especially John, he is probably the actual best wrestling journalist in the biz, as much as I like Meltz.

My only issue with face Bray is that I actually want a payoff to the Harper and Wyatt feud, and I don't know if you can have face Harper going after a distraught face Bray without him looking like a dick.

I think I'll be disappointed in any ending to Orton/Bray that DOESN'T involve some sort of fuckery or post-match shenanigans.

Burning down the crypt was Bray's plan all along, but he was forbidden from doing it himself, so he manipulated Randy into doing it for him. Sister Abigail's spirit was set free by the flames and then inhabits a new host, who appears and attacks Orton with black mist that fucks with his head and returns him to Bray's control.

Observer award highlights (missed out some, if mma won it's in brackets):

A.J. Styles won both wrestler of the year and outstanding wrestler of the year
John Cena vs. A.J. Styles was wrestling feud of the year (second to an mma feud)
Bucks were tag team of the year (revival 2nd, DIY 3rd)
Riddle both rookie of the year and most improved (Miz came second for most improved)
Miz was best wrestling interviews (conor came first)
Zack Sabre Jr is technical wrestler of the year for the third year running
Ishii is best brawler (Shibata a pretty close second)
Ospreay best flyer
Reigns most overrated by a long way (strowman second and I'm sure his votes stopped coming in as he rapidly improved recently)
Cesaro most underated (Neville second, thankfully this is no longer the case)
NJPW promotion of the year
NJPW best telly (Smackdown 2nd, talking smack 3rd)
Tanahashi/Okada match of the year (naito/omega a close second)
Cueto non-wrestler of the year (bryan a close second)
Ranallo by far commentator of the year
Otunga worst commentator (Striker came in second)
Wrestle Kingdom 9 best show by faaaaaaaaaaaar
Wrestlemania 32 worst show
One Winged Angel best finisher
Raw worst show
Gedo best booker
Kidani best wrestling promoter (second after dana)
Broken Matt best gimmick
BONE SOLDIER IS WORST GIMMICK. WE DID IT!

klonere

Banned
Burning down the crypt was Bray's plan all along, but he was forbidden from doing it himself, so he manipulated Randy into doing it for him. Sister Abigail's spirit was set free by the flames and then inhabits a new host, who appears and attacks Orton with black mist that fucks with his head and returns him to Bray's control.

tumblr_mray6buHU11s5lw60o1_400.gif

That actually sounds pretty dope but I'm all for the full face Wyatt turn tbh

Kurita

I'm starting to believe that wrestling podcasts hosts are hacks.

Alvarez is a fucking hack and his talking points are inexplicably repeated with zero critical thinking. He's influenced an entire wave of hacks to take up his mantle of AVGN/Channel Awesome style unfunny "I AM ANGRY AT THIS BAD POP CULTURE LISTEN TO MY RAGE HAHAH" TNA rants. Thus we get the awful quality of analysis that you speak of here. John and Wai stay winning though.

Especially John, he is probably the actual best wrestling journalist in the biz, as much as I like Meltz.

The whole LAW team is great Jason Agnew is awesome as is Bartender Dave and Braden Herringto

And the guys who do the WCW Nitro 2000 podcast: Brian Mann and Nate Milton

Everyone there is actually a professional who, while yes wanting to sell their shows to the fans, aren't trying to put themselves over at the expense of the products they are reviewing.

They remind me a lot of the old 1up Podcasts crews (1UP Show, Retronauts, GFW, etc...), seasoned professionals who actually like the things they are talking about it.

tumblr_mray6buHU11s5lw60o1_400.gif

That actually sounds pretty dope but I'm all for the full face Wyatt turn tbh

I mean Bray Wyatt is basically The Undertaker 2.0, though of course he'll never be as legendary, his gimmick is over, his entrance is over, just change who he targets and bam babyface. They basically almost did exactly that before he got injured and in that literal week or so he had already created a gifable moment that made Roman Reigns look cool lol.

It gets clouded, but I think what Alvarez hates most is the format of modern wwe promos

guy one talks
guy two talks
over

there's no back and forth, and it makes the promos weaker.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair to these podcast hosts, if my job was to review something that was so bad, so often, for extended periods of times, it would be very hard to keep going. But what else are you going to do as a wrestling podcast personality, not like that's a great entry job into anything.

You're pretty much screwed. Can't stop watching, can't stop podcasting, you're stuck, watching bad wrestling, forever and ever and ever.

To be fair to these podcast hosts, if my job was to review something that was so bad, so often, for extended periods of times, it would be very hard to keep going. But what else are you going to do as a wrestling podcast personality, not like that's a great entry job into anything.

You're pretty much screwed. Can't stop watching, can't stop podcasting, you're stuck, watching bad wrestling, forever and ever and ever.

Well first you could allow yourself to actually like things sometimes... The Wyatt/Orton stuff for example...

There's a lot of good stuff going on right now, and the brand split by in large has been a pretty good success.

This is why I go back to liking John and Wai and the LAW crew so much, yes they'll talk about something being bad when it's actually bad (like this week's Raw) but they also allow themselves to you know enjoy the product, they don't go out of their way to find a reason to think everything sucks... Bleacher Report is generally pretty good for that too (though even they failed to pay attention to the Orton/Wyatt stuff the past couple of weeks).

Jamie OD

Hope that she doesn't ever ask you for scissors
I said hope that she doesn't ever ask you for scissors.

Top Bottom