• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Those spoilers.

BIG SHOW?!? WHY? JUST WHY!?!?

EDIT: New Page!

ddptitle.jpg

YUS SO GOOD
CZW (rather blatantly) yoinked this idea when we had the time. We really like that sort of thing.

You'd think it would mess with the pop of a wrestler's music hitting because you've already seen them on the tron, but it just adds to the "big match feel." And hell, even if they don't show it in the arena, putting it through the TV feed would still add something to the match.

I just really love the aesthetic of 97-98 WWF. Those backstage shots, the old school barricades that were closer to the ring, TONS of signs in the audience, normal crowd lighting, smaller and darker tron + entrance ramp, messier ringside area by the commentary table(s), more flashbulbs, etc. It's not even nostalgia speaking because I regularly revisit that footage and it looks so much better to me. The WWE's too sleek these days. It's like futuristic utopia wrestling.

At those Smackdown spoilers.

I just let it happen to me now. I'm ignoring it like the black eye this product gives me as it abuses me emotionally. August can't come soon enough and I'm part of the problem. They sell to you and never deliver. 1000 times out of 10. There will never be any hope whatsoever. Now I'm just gonna watch from the rafters and let this all happen now.

Yes Daniel Bryan, form a tag team with Big Show. Do what you want.

Yes Batista, have your Mania moment, the boos don't mean anything. Only the titles on your shoulder and the pyrotechnics over the Wrestlemania sign as it closes.

I'm too numb to care now. It's never gonna stop you guys. I'll just watch your Cesaro and Shield matches and just grin.

Wheres my diva day off shoot Renee?

You'd think it would mess with the pop of a wrestler's music hitting because you've already seen them on the tron, but it just adds to the "big match feel." And hell, even if they don't show it in the arena, putting it through the TV feed would still add something to the match.

I just really love the aesthetic of 97-98 WWF. Those backstage shots, the old school barricades that were closer to the ring, TONS of signs in the audience, normal crowd lighting, smaller and darker tron + entrance ramp, messier ringside area by the commentary table(s), more flashbulbs, etc. It's not even nostalgia speaking because I regularly revisit that footage and it looks so much better to me. The WWE's too sleek these days. It's like futuristic utopia wrestling.

I remember two times when it stuck out for me: When they did it for Austin, and they did it for Shamrock. It made things waaaaay better.

Same deal, for example, for the Summerslam 2002 build. PURE SPORTS BUILD

And yah, WWF back then was solid. I honestly give preference to the 01-05 era though, production wise. I just like it more. Plus DAT SMACKDOWN FIST

UberTag

I just let it happen to me now. I'm ignoring it like the black eye this product gives me as it abuses me emotionally. August can't come soon enough and I'm part of the problem. They sell to you and never deliver. 1000 times out of 10. There will never be any hope whatsoever. Now I'm just gonna watch from the rafters and let this all happen now.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Embrace the despair! Yes! Yes! Yes! <does the D.Brine chant>

Yes Daniel Bryan, form a tag team with Big Show. Do what you want.
Beard and Bastard! Beard and Bastard! Can't wait until they're feuding with the Wyatts after Mania.

Yes Batista, have your Mania moment, the boos don't mean anything. Only the titles on your shoulder and the pyrotechnics over the Wrestlemania sign as it closes.
Big Dave shall triumph. It's what's best for business. $120 well spent.

I'm too numb to care now. It's never gonna stop you guys. I'll just watch your Cesaro and Shield matches and just grin.
The Shield will soon be over. Cesaro will job to Rusev and put him over. There is no hope for you. Only despair!

Can't wait till NJPW washes the taste of those Smackdown spoilers out of my mouth
You are a man of impeccable taste. Thursday is almost here.

Bryan has great segment on Monday w/ Triple H. Gets involved in the Mania title picture. Everything looks good. Sidetrack on SD with Big Show. Everything on Monday is apparently erased according to the internet.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Embrace the despair! Yes! Yes! Yes! <does the D.Brine chant>

Beard and Bastard! Beard and Bastard! Can't wait until they're feuding with the Wyatts after Mania.

Big Dave shall triumph. It's what's best for business. $120 well spent.

The Shield will soon be over. Cesaro will job to Rusev and put him over. There is no hope for you. Only despair!

You are a man of impeccable taste. Thursday is almost here.

Is Renee gonna be ok?

WCW really screwed the pooch with Bret Hart. Comes off of a huge controversial finish with the WWF and gets put into the role of referee for Bischoff v. Zbyszko, then screws future buddy Hollywood Hogan out of the title later that night.

No! Flat no!

It should be Eva Marie alone.

What about Ginger Mahal? Can he be the timekeeper at least?

WCW really screwed the pooch with Bret Hart. Comes off of a huge controversial finish with the WWF and gets put into the role of referee for Bischoff v. Zbyszko, then screws future buddy Hollywood Hogan out of the title later that night.

Starrcade 97 is the bane of my existence, biggest hype for something ever then they f**ked it up sooo badly. :( Had such an amazing feel to it, that event, should have shaped the company for years to come... then wamp-waa they CM Punk'ed it.

And how did Hart know they were gonna do a quick count? :/ He came out before it happened then he's like NO, FLAT NO! I'M NOT GONNA LET ANYONE ELSE GET SCREWED!

DMczaf

HOW MANY FUCKING GOD DAMN TIMES DOES BIG SHOW HAVE TO HAVE SHITTY BUYRATES AND RATINGS?! Jesus fucking Christ!!!!!!!!!! Iron clad contract to torment my soul for 15 god damn years.

lupinko

Does anyone know of the big puroresu events in Japan this year? I figure since I live here now I should go to one. My only live experiences being local indies and and WWE.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/4/5468468/wwe-pro-wrestling-stories-creative

After reading this, I don't know. Just feel real defeated and deflated after reading the Smackdown spoilers and this article above. Because man, shit's harsh bro.

#FactsOnly

Cold hard troof. It's a depressing read, but anyone who's been paying attention for the last however many years already knew this. The "smarter" fans got, and the more the internet communities grew, the more The 'E shifted from just making a wrestling show to entertaining themselves by trolling everyone. Now we're at the point where marks, "smart fans," wrestlers, and WWE Creative are commingling at a level never before seen in This Business&#8482; because of social media, and everyone is at everyone else's throat, and the whole thing is a mess.

Worst of all, whenever The 'E runs into any hostility from hardcore fans, instead of adapting and MAYBE finding ways to make both the casual and hardcore happy, they're using ALL the reactions as part of some storyline creating a Frankenstein's monster of a show where part of it is a wrestling program, part of it is trolling, and part of it is trying to keep people fooled without actually changing course in the booking. It's absurd. Watching Cena trying to work audiences for a decade is this concept in a nutshell. One minute he's cutting a face promo for his core fans, then he's kissing up to the city to get the haters to cheer, then he's trolling with fake heel turns and *wink wink* 4th wall breaking that leaves part of the audience confused, then he's making heel comments like "The future goes through me." All the while, nothing actually changes. They're working the crowd as if they're the enemies or wrong for feeling how they feel, but in doing so there's never any evolution or direction.

They need to quit all the nonsense, and just book. Bounce off whatever energy crowds are giving you, and change with it. Stop trying to trick people and curb frustration with false hope, stop with all the faux-realism feuds, and stop with all the absorption and deflecting of every crowd reaction.

G-Fex

Kane and Big show are ruining eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything in sight.

I'm so angry I could just scream like brock lesnar.

But at least Eva Marie is getting big time.

She's the best diva that isn't Aksana.

Her hair is red like fire, like the passion she has for pro-wrestling.

I don't know why this is a surprise to you. WWE has lost over two-thirds of their audience they had in the Attitude Era. So realistically speaking, they've already lost most of their "regular" fans. They still don't give a shit. They used to do 7's and 9's on the regular like it ain't no thing and now struggle to get 3's. Yet they're still coasting on fumes of an era that is long gone. WWE don't give a shit, but this will catch up to them. Name me one business where they shat on their hardcore base and it didn't seep into their regular fanbase. I bet WWE will be niche status in 2024 depending on if they continue this trajectory.

Jan.06- 3.23
Jan.13- 3.12
Jan.20- 3.46
Jan.27- 3.24
Feb.03- 3.15
Feb.10- 3.14
Feb.17- 3.08
Feb.24- 3.31
Mar.03- 3.26

Yeah, they are really struggling to hit 3 lately.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
#FactsOnly

Cold hard troof. It's a depressing read, but anyone who's been paying attention for the last however many years already knew this. The "smarter" fans got, and the more the internet communities grew, the more The 'E shifted from just making a wrestling show to entertaining themselves by trolling everyone. Now we're at the point where marks, "smart fans," wrestlers, and WWE Creative are commingling at a level never before seen in This Business™ because of social media, and everyone is at everyone else's throat, and the whole thing is a mess.

Worst of all, whenever The 'E runs into any hostility from hardcore fans, instead of adapting and MAYBE finding ways to make both the casual and hardcore happy, they're using ALL the reactions as part of some storyline creating a Frankenstein's monster of a show where part of it is a wrestling program, part of it is trolling, and part of it is trying to keep people fooled without actually changing course in the booking. It's absurd. Watching Cena trying to work audiences for a decade is this concept in a nutshell. One minute he's cutting a face promo for his core fans, then he's kissing up to the city to get the haters to cheer, then he's trolling with fake heel turns and *wink wink* 4th wall breaking that leaves part of the audience confused, then he's making heel comments like "The future goes through me." All the while, nothing actually changes. They're working the crowd as if they're the enemies or wrong for feeling how they feel, but in doing so there's never any evolution or direction.

They need to quit all the nonsense, and just book. Bounce off whatever energy crowds are giving you, and change with it. Stop trying to trick people and curb frustration with false hope, stop with all the faux-realism feuds, and stop with all the absorption and deflecting of every crowd reaction.
I just wish they'd be consistent, not all this up and down throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks and what have you.

KissVibes

Banned
SD Spoilersssssss
* Batista kicks off the show to cut a promo. Daniel Bryan interrupts him and eventually Kane comes out and beats down Daniel Bryan. Big Show makes the save. Vickie Guerrero comes out and sets up tonight's tag team main event: Kane and Batista vs. Daniel Bryan and Big Show.

* Daniel Bryan and Big Show come out before the main event and say they've picked a name for their team: "Respect The Beard, Fear The Giant."

* Bryan and Big Show defeated Batista and Kane after Big Show hit Kane with a Knockout punch and Bryan rolled him up for the pin. SmackDown ends with Bryan leading a "Yes!" chant while sitting on Show's shoulders.

OH MY GOOOOOOOD.

IT'S THE SAME SHIT. THEY DIDN'T EVEN WAIT SEVEN MONTHS.

Vylash

#FactsOnly

Cold hard troof. It's a depressing read, but anyone who's been paying attention for the last however many years already knew this. The "smarter" fans got, and the more the internet communities grew, the more The 'E shifted from just making a wrestling show to entertaining themselves by trolling everyone. Now we're at the point where marks, "smart fans," wrestlers, and WWE Creative are commingling at a level never before seen in This Business™ because of social media, and everyone is at everyone else's throat, and the whole thing is a mess.

It's really depressing man,I've given so much of my life to wrestling and it sucks to know I don't really mean anything despite how much I love the product, I know there are alternatives but none of the good ones are as convenient, and I can't afford to support indies on a regular basis, christ this shit is depressing, Vince needs to go away so I can have a good product again

I don't know why this is a surprise to you. WWE has lost over two-thirds of their audience they had in the Attitude Era. So realistically speaking, they've already lost most of their "regular" fans. They still don't give a shit. They used to do 7's and 9's on the regular like it ain't no thing and now struggle to get 3's. Yet they're still coasting on fumes of an era that is long gone. WWE don't give a shit, but this will catch up to them. Name me one business where they shat on their hardcore base and it didn't seep into their regular fanbase. I bet WWE will be niche status in 2024 depending on if they continue this trajectory.

Computer Games Industry!

I just wish they'd be consistent, not all this up and down throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks and what have you.

I don't even think it's inconsistency or throwing shit at the wall anymore. There's absolutely a plan, there are motives, and there is total consistency, especially in the last 3 years. It's like CM Punk's "Shoot" was a blessing and a curse because him tapping into that hardcore audience and unearthing the "voice of the smarks" right in front of Vince's eyes all of a sudden gave them a whole new source of entertainment. Now EVERYTHING'S a work on EVERYONE.

And you can say "Well, if you pay for a ticket the WWE's already won," but since when did it become a contest? Why are fans having to try and WIN the show? The WWE should always and forever be about entertaining people and keeping things exciting, not competing with them and running meta-ass storylines. The Chicago crowd wasn't hot because they were engaged, they were hot because they were rejecting damn near everything on the show. Is that the kind of hot crowds we really want?

It's really depressing man,I've given so much of my life to wrestling and it sucks to know I don't really mean anything despite how much I love the product, I know there are alternatives but none of the good ones are as convenient, and I can't afford to support indies on a regular basis, christ this shit is depressing, Vince needs to go away so I can have a good product again

just have fun in WrassleGAF. This thread keeps it entertaining even when we're making each other depressed.

Ok look some people in this thread clearly just don't like Daniel Bryan. Whether it's to entice a reaction from people who like him or just flat out just make a joke about it for the sake of making a joke about it, It's fine.

But in all seriousness, are you all legit excited for the Orton/Batista main event as far as the actual in ring action goes? I wanna hear ANY justifications for this match with no sarcasm or jokes. Just shoot. Why do you want to see this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom