• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
I'm having a dope ass bowl of rice cooked with carrot puree with pepper, garlic salt, creole seasoning, and a few dashes of Parmesan cheese. It'd gooder than a bitch. And a beer which isn't as good. Stella Artonis. Not really a beer person in general though.

Rapstah

If someone had told me Corey Graves did something else for a couple of years (like selling pizza or modelling) and started wrestling in 2010 I'd believe him.

My biggest problem with Graves is that it sure seems like his look is used as a substitute for a gimmick.

His look is the best thing about him.

But seriously, when you've seen a guy in the scene so long, you expect to see him steadily improve. Graves has either not improved in the last 4-5 years or so, or is doing it at such a glacial pace at this point you can't notice.

John Cena is one of those baffling cases too. Like, how can you do that STF so wrong for so long? Great. Valid. But you can't say that about his whole game. For what he's lacked and still lacks in areas we hate, (to everyone's infinite frustration,) you can't say he's stayed stagnant in other areas. Even the harshest critics have to recognize the huge strides he's made in areas like understanding his opponent and calling matches in the ring that work for that opponent and promo psychology.

For Graves, "improvement" is getting a new tattoo or some new ring gear. At least that seems to be what it's been since he's been in the WWE system.

does ric flair count, even though he wears knee pads on his shins?

nah, baby, you gotta wear these:

shin-guards-pro-80-p.jpg

Like I said, no one ever *gives* a reason, so I asked for one.

As far as his matches go, to each their own, I enjoy them, but if you don't, cool.

OK. I've done that. I've given reasons.

Then why don't you give some reasons, other than his look, why the hell you enjoy the work of Corey Graves, pro wrestler?

I can't wait to hear specifically what you think he does well besides getting haircuts and tattoos and posing.

OK. I've done that. I've given reasons.

Then why don't you give some reasons, other than his look, why the hell you enjoy the work of Corey Graves, pro wrestler?

I can't wait to hear specifically what you think he does well besides getting haircuts and tattoos and posing.
He's not the best worker in the world, that would be ridiculous, but he's solid mid card talent, especially as a whole package. And in terms of quality, what high profile matches has he had to prove that? A few with Neville, and one with Zayn, and I enjoyed all of those.

In terms of his current matches, I don't see what he does so terribly. Hell, I even love the chopblock. It's a perfect setup to his actual finisher.

I hope Corey Graves Guy isn't my gimmick now...

strobogo

Banned
What's frustrating to me about Cena, and something that became very clear while having to watch WM29 again, is how he carries himself when trying to do "epic" matches. It's horrific. You watch him sizing Rock up for kicks, or trying to show that he is bothered by the crowd and it looks so, so bad. But then you see him do stuff with Punk/Cesaro/Bryan where he's definitely holding up his end and they're great matches. I can't figure out how he can be so bad against Rock (and not because of Rock, just the shit he's doing on his own without Rock being involved), but so good against other guys. And he does that a lot. So much so that it feels like not only is he half assing most of the time, but actually trying to be bad.

I get the Hogan route of doing less gets the same reaction, but sometimes Cena looks like a guy pretending to be a joke wrestler. It's so weird and so frustrating.

Why is it unfair to talk about Corey Graves not being a great worker FlammableGraves? He's in a developmental system with the highest concentration of the best workers and trainers in the world (well in N.A. at least).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like Corey Graves and he has a fantastic look.

Corey Graves was on the indies for so long (as Sterling James Keenan) and was always a guy other wrestlers said was very talented and people kept expecting him to have that one breakout performance that cemented him as a real name on the indies, but it never really happened for him. Every chance he got in ROH or any of the other big indies (building on the reputation of the trilogy of matches he had with CM Punk in IWC), he pretty much choked and I was fairly surprised when WWE hired him. He does have a good look though and, it's not like being kinda dull in the ring is much of a problem in WWE, so perhaps he'll do well.

What's frustrating to me about Cena, and something that became very clear while having to watch WM29 again, is how he carries himself when trying to do "epic" matches. It's horrific. You watch him sizing Rock up for kicks, or trying to show that he is bothered by the crowd and it looks so, so bad. But then you see him do stuff with Punk/Cesaro/Bryan where he's definitely holding up his end and they're great matches. I can't figure out how he can be so bad against Rock (and not because of Rock, just the shit he's doing on his own without Rock being involved), but so good against other guys. And he does that a lot. So much so that it feels like not only is he half assing most of the time, but actually trying to be bad.

I get the Hogan route of doing less gets the same reaction, but sometimes Cena looks like a guy pretending to be a joke wrestler. It's so weird and so frustrating.

It's interesting you bring up Hogan in that post, stro, because I think it sorta gets to the root of the problem you see with Cena. I see that too. In spite of all the "can John Cena possibly overcome these odds?" scenarios the booking likes to place him in, the matches where he actually has to get a single guy over as a bigger, badder, overpowering threat are usually his worst matches. The matches with "up-and-comers" or "scrappy guy that won't quit" (Punk/Bryan/Cesaro, ect) seem to be his better matches. It's an unusual problem to have, especially when you have to be the company babyface.

Sephzilla

It's interesting you bring up Hogan in that post, stro, because I think it sorta gets to the root of the problem you see with Cena. I see that too. In spite of all the "can John Cena possibly overcome these odds?" scenarios the booking likes to place him in, the matches where he actually has to get a single guy over as a bigger, badder, overpowering threat are usually his worst matches. The matches with "up-and-comers" or "scrappy guy that won't quit" (Punk/Bryan/Cesaro, ect) seem to be his better matches. It's an unusual problem to have, especially when you have to be the company babyface.

It also helps that the scrappy guys that wont quit are also much better workers than Cena is.

tm24

Bought my tickets to Mystery Vortex II. Looks like not even a title match is being announced, so who knows whats going to happen

strobogo

Banned
It also helps that the scrappy guys that wont quit are also much better workers than Cena is.

I don't think that is always the case. The stuff in Rock/Cena 2 that looked so bad were things Cena was doing on his own. Things that didn't involve Rock whatsoever. And stuff he doesn't do in matches against Punk/Cesaro/Bryan. I really think he was intentionally bad in Twice in a Lifetime.

Showaddy

Corey Graves was on the indies for so long (as Sterling James Keenan) and was always a guy other wrestlers said was very talented and people kept expecting him to have that one breakout performance that cemented him as a real name on the indies, but it never really happened for him. Every chance he got in ROH or any of the other big indies (building on the reputation of the trilogy of matches he had with CM Punk in IWC), he pretty much choked and I was fairly surprised when WWE hired him. He does have a good look though and, it's not like being kinda dull in the ring is much of a problem in WWE, so perhaps he'll do well.

Graves was pretty damn over in NXT at first but he just hasn't been able to maintain the fans interest because of his average ring/mic skills. He just never seems to be able to kick it up a notch.

If he splits peoples opinions it's because it comes down to people who've watched him a couple of times and people who've watched him consistently for a few months.

I think Graves is good. I think his promo last night was decent enough, as was his match. He's not on the level of Zayn or anyone like that, but not everyone is.

Why is it unfair to talk about Corey Graves not being a great worker FlammableGraves? He's in a developmental system with the highest concentration of the best workers and trainers in the world (well in N.A. at least).
Where did I say it was unfair? And yes, NXT has an incredible talent pool, but not everyone has to have 5* matches to have a useful place on the roster. Work rate is important, but it's not the be all and end all.

Work rate is important, but it's not the be all and end all.
It'd be nice if he had anything else, then. I think you're under the spell of how attractive he is.

Shoaddy has it 100% right:

Graves was pretty damn over in NXT at first but he just hasn't been able to maintain the fans interest because of his average ring/mic skills. He just never seems to be able to kick it up a notch.

If he splits peoples opinions it's because it comes down to people who've watched him a couple of times and people who've watched him consistently for a few months.

hey everyone

one more month until the biggest night in THIS BUSINESS

http://abload.de/img/ramcrb5t.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Looking at the three focal points of that picture there I have to chuckle about how all three were handled horribly.
Truly Raw after Mania is a blessing and a curse.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Just finished Impact and it was entertaining as fuck. Impact has been better than Raw for a while now and I am excited for Lockdown.

200px-TNA_Lockdown_2014_Poster.jpg

Dat photoshop

World Heavyweight Championship
-Magnus (c) vs. Samoa Joe

Lethal Lockdown
-MVP, The Wolves & Jeff Hardy vs. Bobby Roode, Austin Aries & The BroMans

Knockouts Championship
-Madison Rayne (c) vs. Gail Kim

-Bad Influence & Chris Sabin vs. The Great Muta, Sanada & Tigre Uno

-Gunner vs. James Storm

-Kurt Angle vs. Ethan Carter III

-Mr. Anderson vs. Samuel Shaw

strobogo

Banned
Just finished Impact and it was entertaining as fuck. Impact has been better than Raw for a while now and I am excited for Lockdown.

200px-TNA_Lockdown_2014_Poster.jpg

Dat photoshop

World Heavyweight Championship
-Magnus (c) vs. Samoa Joe

Lethal Lockdown
-MVP, The Wolves & Jeff Hardy vs. Bobby Roode, Austin Aries & The BroMans

Knockouts Championship
-Madison Rayne (c) vs. Gail Kim

-Bad Influence & Chris Sabin vs. The Great Muta, Sanada & Tigre Uno

-Gunner vs. James Storm

-Kurt Angle vs. Ethan Carter III

-Mr. Anderson vs. Samuel Shaw

flair.gif

Cagey

Banned
hey everyone

one more month until the biggest night in THIS BUSINESS

ramcrb5t.png

Amazing to me that the hideous facade of Brendan Byrne Arena Continental Airlines Arena Izod Center is front-and-center in that graphic.

The Raw after Mania should have been held in Prudential Center.

Rapstah

This week's JBL and Cole Show was just Bad News Barrett handing out subpoenas to appear in wrestler's court next week to a bunch of wrestlers. For six minutes. I wonder who writes this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom