• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

All this Piper hate makes me feel good because I thought I was the only one who hated him while the internet was in full "neutral appreciation" for the dude.

Now to make everyone hate Greg Valentine.

I'm Wrasslemania'd out for the day. Got up to 15 so far. It's not a good show. Austin/Rock is decent, Shane vs X-Pac is so much better than it had any right to be. The rest of the show flat out sucks. Not excited to rewatch 2000. I think I'll dig into some NWA, make some gifs, start off my 3rd bottle of Nyquil in the past 12 days, and see what happens tomorrow.

WrestleMania 15 is my favorite WM :-/, i can tolerate every match (ok that's not quite true the Butterbean - Bart Gunn contest is shippable). But i love the rest, and how some feuds were put to bed and the "continuation" of others.

If another topic comes up i would be interested to read a ranking list of WM's for everyone. The most recent WM i enjoyed from start to finish was 22, that seemed like so long ago :(.

I just watched They Live on Friday, it was awesome. i looked up the rest of Piper's filmography and well... he's done literally nothing but shit. sub direct-to-DVD shit, probably.

i also wasn't expecting them to straight up do wrestling moves in some of the fight scenes, but i should probably expect that from any movie with a wrestler lead

Good wrestling interviews are rare, and Kane interviews are even rarer. This si a new one that's really well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStU4Wsq5H0

Oh come on, SoulPlaya. Good wrestling interview? You've got to be kidding me. This guy keeps lobbing softballs right over the plate. This interview wouldn't look at out place published in the Official WWE Magazine. This is state-sponsored news type stuff.

Give me a break.

Wow. That Piper interview they aired with Bruno from MSG on the network is obscene. Piper calls Bruno a wop and you can clearly hear him call him a motherfucker with no censoring.

Also, I hate Greg Valentine.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Oh come on, SoulPlaya. Good wrestling interview? You've got to be kidding me. This guy keeps lobbing softballs right over the plate. This interview wouldn't look at out place published in the Official WWE Magazine. This is state-sponsored news type stuff.

Give me a break.
Yeah, honestly, it wasn't that good on reflection. Kane just gives so few interviews, and even fewer where he's not in character that it's hard not to get excited.

The man needs to write a book after he's done wrestling.

Yeah, honestly, it wasn't that good on reflection. Kane just gives so few interviews, and even fewer where he's not in character that it's hard not to get excited.

I'm surprised more wrestlers don't have books/ autobiographies

Are we up to speed with WM reviews? Going to post mine tonight because i'll be busy next couple of days. After watching 10 and 20 i really wish they went back to MSG man. The crowd would be 10000x more better even with a shit card.

He needs to have a Come To Jesus meeting with the Texas Rattlesnake. Yeah, I'm talking about that cat, Steve Austin. A Kane podcast appearance is just the thing for the working man and woman.

In the meantime we can all wonder why there's a book detailing Kane's kayfabe backstory with Journey into Darkness, a book which even as a massive Kaneanite I don't dare go near.

Kane's autobiography would be the most feel good wrasslin' book out there, chicken soup for the tormented soul.

Rapstah

Serpentine- 5 (March 6)
Mr. Sandman- 6 (March 7)
Slightconfuse- 7 (March 8)
CureVylash- 8 (March 9)

Have any of these been posted?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Smh

This is what happens when there are no enforcers. We need the WrassleGAF vets back to keep you young bucks in line.

tumblr_n050gjhcQR1qheak7o2_250.gif

tumblr_n050gjhcQR1qheak7o3_250.gif

tumblr_n050gjhcQR1qheak7o4_250.gif

Can you feel that?

That anticipation?

That "big event" feel?

That excitement??

It's almost TIME......

for TNA presents LOCKDOWN! The all steel cage PPV! Live and only on PPV!

WrestleMania 15 is my favorite WM :-/, i can tolerate every match (ok that's not quite true the Butterbean - Bart Gunn contest is shippable). But i love the rest, and how some feuds were put to bed and the "continuation" of others.

If another topic comes up i would be interested to read a ranking list of WM's for everyone. The most recent WM i enjoyed from start to finish was 22, that seemed like so long ago :(.
WM 17 > everything else.

Actually since I started at WM 12, I wouldn't be able to rank them all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Big T.
Buff Bagwell.
The Franchise.
Stevie Ray.

It's like staring to the cold dark void of space and realizing there is nothing beyond.

Kaladin

Wrestlemania 6 Review Part 1.....rest of review coming soon

Because I don't want to be "that guy" who flakes out on doing the review completely....here is what I have so far. I'm working on it, and I'll get through it eventually....this undercard is so brutal though.

It's time for Wrestlemania 6! The Ultmiate Challenge is live from a jam packed to the rafters Toronto Skydome! Jesse "The Body" Ventura and Gorilla Monsoon are on commentary!

Jesse Ventura has been to the Superbowl, the World Series and he has even been to The Rolling Bah Gawd Stones, but Wrestlemania surpasses them all!

We're FIRED UP!

Canadian National Anthem: Robert Goulet

Bit of boos mixed in with the cheers for the anthem, I'm assuming they were chanting Boolet.

Match #1 : The Model Rick Martel vs. Koko B. Ware

Koko B. Ware is rocking out on his way to the ring. Frankie the Parrot is going to be at ringside with him. Rick Martell is the classic Hollywood babyface model gimmick....some might even say he's the prototype. Even this early in the show, I can tell the highlight of the night will be Jesse Ventura and Gorilla Monsoon. In the middle of the match, I hear a lone boring chant, most of the crowd is kind of sitting on their hands though, so they probably agree. Gorilla actually references Koko getting "the short end of the money" if he looses the match. Remember the days when money was a valid motivator for wrestlers to win? This is a fairly standard back and forth opener that doesn't really make it beyond second gear. The Model wins with a boston crab.

Backstage interviews! Remember those?

Mean Gene is backstage with the Colostony Connection. Bobby Heenan calls out Mean Gene on the error, and Mean Gene denies it...Bobby cuts a classic heel manager promo for his tag team champions. André the Giant and Haku are intimidating as a tag team.

Demolition are also in the back and they cut a promo on how they're going to chop down the giants. Demolition is out to demolish and destroy. These guys are great, always a fan of Axe and Smash.

Match #2 : Tag Team Championship Match: Demolition vs. Colossal Connection

The champions get a jobber entrance? Blasphemy. Somewhere, five guys on an early version of the internet are raging. Well, we've got two big brawling tag teams in their brawling with rest holds every now and then. I don't know what I expected. The crowd busts out a weasel chant for Heenan. This match is just slow and meh. Heenan slaps one of Demolition across the face after he falls near ringside and draws the most heat anyone has seen this whole match. Gorilla and Jesse have better back and forth during this match than the two tag teams. Is Haku wrestling the entire match here? Andre has barely done anything. Man, Andre sucks as a tag team partner. He steps in the match to help Haku, gets taken out, and then gets wrapped up in the ropes. He is essentially useless at this point and Haku takes the loss for the team. Demolition is 3 time tag team champions.

Bobby Heenan gets in Andre's face. I swear I hear Heenan say "You hear me? I'm the fucking manager." in his tirade. He slaps Bobby around and destroys Haku before leaving the Skydome by himself.

Mean Gene is in the back with Earthquake and Jimmy Hart! Jimmy and Earthquake are pumped, and making tons of earthquake and Herculean puns.

Match #3: Earthquake vs. Hercules

Hercules entrance gets cut a bit due to the interview. Hercules reminds me of Chris Masters. Earthquake's theme with the rumbling is kind of awesome. Apparently Earthquake has sent 28 men to the hospital so far....how are they letting this guy still wrestle? He's looking to make Herc #29. This match is another slow big man match. Earthquake squashes this jobber pretty quickly.

Backstage: We have an interview with Ms. Elizabeth now. She talks about why she isn't involved in the show tonight.

We cut to an interview with Brutus Beefcake, who talks about "severing" Mr. Perfect's perfect record.

Match #4: Brutus Beefcake vs. Mr. Perfect

The Genius Lanny Poffo introduces Mr. Perfect on his way to the ring.....why can't we get a Damien Sandow and Dolph Ziggler tag team like that? Brutus Beefcake screams 80's loud and proud....bah gawd this is cheese. This match is ok, I guess....better than the last few. Still, this undercard is kind of brutal. Brutus Beefcake wins when Perfect knocks himself out mid match. I yawned a lot.

I actually fell asleep on this. Brutus is THAT brutal.

I'm back....and now Brutus is cutting Lanny Poffo's hair.

Brutus is taking too long, they cut to a Rowdy Roddy Piper vs Bad News Brown video package.

Mean Gene interviews the Hot Rod....or the Hot Scott. Hot Rod has half his body painted black....and he goes on kind of a racist promo on Bad News Brown, remember when wrasslin got away with that kind of stuff? That aside, Piper cuts a very intense promo. Split personality indeed.

Match #5: Bad News Brown vs Hot Rod Roddy Piper

Bad News Brown gets a jobber entrance, and lots of boos. Piper probably gets the biggest pop of the night so far in his entrance...the entire stadium cheers him as he makes his way to the ring. The match itself? Nothing special, more back and forth brawling. Piper pulls out a "Michael Jackson Glove" that could be loaded....the ref allows it. Match ends when it spills outside the ring and the ref calls for a double countout. A double countout brawl at Mania? WHAT? They keep brawling outside as security pulls them apart....this feud has not been settled.

There is a promo with Steve Allen making fun of the Russian National Anthem with The Bolsheviks. I think this promo is longer than the match itself ends up being.

Match #6: The Hart Foundation vs. The Bolsheviks

Jobber entrance for The Hart Foundation. No music for The Bolsheviks. We're still going to hear the Soviet National Anthem....yay. This also ends up longer than the match turns out to be. The Bolsheviks are attacked from behind by The Hart Foundation who hit their finisher soon after and the match is over.....yep. The pre-match festivities lasted much longer than the match.

Wrestlemania 7 is in the Las Angeles Memorial Collesium.

Match #7: Barbarian vs. Tito Santana

Kind of a jobber entrance for The Barbarian and Bobby Heenan...there is no music and he's heading out to the ring as the announcers are in the middle of talking about Wrestlemania 7. Now they're going to Tito Santana cutting a promo...a quick promo....and he gets a full entrance. Man...they book 14 matches on this show, give half the wrestlers jobber entrances and it's still 3.5 hours long. Brutal. This match is mercifully short. The Barbarian wins after a flying clothesline. No one cares.

We go to a promo package for the next match.

I'm going to be doing fewer gifs....it's easier to just write as I review.

This is going to be brutal.

At least Dusty cuts an amazing promo. No Savage promo, sadly.

Match #8: Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire vs. Randy Savage & Sherri

Come on Randy....get to the damn ring already. Geeze. Dusty cuts another promo in ring...the same promo he just cut actually. Dusty has Miss Elizabeth in his corner! Wait, I thought she wasn't here! Bah Gawd Miss Elizabeth....the crowd goes wild. Miss Elizabeth's entrance was about as long as Randy's. Can this match start already? Wait...Sapphire is actually wrestling? This is brutal. Possibly the most brutal thing yet. Dusty and Sapphire win.

We get another promo for Wrestlemania 7.

Mean Gene is in the back with Bobby Heenan cutting a promo on Andre and how he's cut ties with The Heenan Family after the events earlier in the evening.

Jesse Ventura and Gorilla Monsoon are interviewing Rona Barrett who has uncovered X-rated footage of some wrestler....but they cut to a promo with the Macho King! You better get on the phone and call somebody! Sherri is going crazy....yeah. Damn I love the Macho King...highlight of the show so far.

Mene Gene has Demolition in the back, celebrating their tag team title win earlier in the evening. This must be half time. Jesse and Gorilla are back, and Gorilla says the footage Rona mentioned earlier is nothing to worry about.

Mene Gene is in the back with Hulk Hogan! He's hyping the main event...this whole show is just kind of hype for the main event. I'm ready for this match to happen already.

We're in the back with The Ultimate Warrior...he calls the interviewer a normal and throws him out of the picture. Warrior is hype for this match. Warrior wants to take Hulkamania further than Hogan ever can, and bring the Warriors and Hulkamaniacs together as one.

Match #9: The Orient Express vs. The Rockers

You can see as the show goes on, my enthusiasm for this dips match by match......I'll be revisiting this later in the week, probably in smaller chunks because trying to watch this entire show in one go is sleep inducing.

The review is just kind of my rambling thoughts as I watch it.....which is why it probably reads kinda funny.

You can see as the show goes on, my enthusiasm for this dips match by match......I'll be revisiting this later in the week, probably in smaller chunks because trying to watch this entire show in one go is sleep inducing.

You can extrapolate this statement to the WWE Network as a whole.

strobogo

Banned
Sandman, what a puss. You think I had an investment in any of the wrestlers on the WCW shows I did? You bite your lip, you take a shot, and you get to fucking work.

Zee-Row

Banned
Just a what if scenario but if Eric Bischoff bought WCW with his financial backers where would the shows air on TV? WCW didn't go out of business because of ratings, they went out of business because AOL Time Warner didn't want them. I just wonder would WCW be airing on Spike instead?

Impact this week was great fun. Samuel Shaw is a fantastic character and the Wolves are fitting in incredibly well. Nothing bad on the show (even Dixie was tolerable)

Going to try and not read any spoilers for Lockdown before it shows here on Weds.

Kaladin

Sandman, what a puss. You think I had an investment in any of the wrestlers on the WCW shows I did? You bite your lip, you take a shot, and you get to fucking work.

I don't have your stamina with bad wrasslin. You're an anomaly. An enigma. A one of a kind. I just can't measure up to that kind of stamina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom