• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think the "Champion doesn't lose the belt if he's disqualified" rule pretty dumb?

I really don't see the point of it. I mean, why wouldn't the champion just start each match with a low blow or chair shot to immediately retain?

one good thing about TNA was Championshops changed on DQs. but they got rid of the rule at some point

Sephzilla

Does anyone else think the "Champion doesn't lose the belt if he's disqualified" rule pretty dumb?

I really don't see the point of it. I mean, why wouldn't the champion just start each match with a low blow or chair shot to immediately retain?

By that logic though, what would stop a challenger from simply having one of his friends do a run-in and attack him and get him a quick DQ win?

Because it's wrestling and you need to suspend your disbelief at some points? If you want to pull a Lambda and act like everything should be UFC or logical then why wouldn't the challenger just have a friend run out and attack them if it meant that they'd win the title through DQ?

By that logic though, what would stop a challenger from simply having one of his friends do a run-in and attack him and get him a quick DQ win?

I thought about that, but if the guy who interferes is obviously his friend, then the ref should be smart enough to not end the match based on that.

gurudyne

1) Pride. Belt's supposed to mean you're the best in the world. Why not prove it if you can? Save the low blows as last minute saves if things go sideways.

2) Fear. You DQ yourself often enough, the boss is going to ream you with a no DQ match against the biggest bastard he can find. Most heels who would auto DQ themselves fall into the chickenshit category, so the idea of getting pummeled with a chair from some 400 pound monster doesn't jibe well.

3) They're not that stupid. Even if they aren't afraid of pain, they work in an entertainment industry and to DQ themselves all the time would lead to a pink slip.

Sephzilla

I thought about that, but if the guy who interferes is obviously his friend, then the ref should be smart enough to not end the match based on that.

Well, if a champ would open a match with a low blow or blatant attempt to DQ himself I think the same thing would happen.

I actually don't mind the "no title change on DQ" rule. The whole idea that the champion has to be actually beaten appeals to me. Plus there's still some inner child in me that wants to believe wrestling is real and that the rules make sense and all that shit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
BhxCrWGCUAAy5bo.jpg:large

From Seth Mate's twitter
D4uGRYz.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love champion's advantage and keeping it in makes it special when it does get thrown out because the boss is a jerk or the champ abused it.

Because it's wrestling and you need to suspend your disbelief at some points? If you want to pull a Lambda and act like everything should be UFC or logical then why wouldn't the challenger just have a friend run out and attack them if it meant that they'd win the title through DQ?

I just find it to be a pretty dumb rule.

Though still not as dumb as the four-way tag matches that WWE pulls these days where where only two can be in the ring and you have to tag in your opponent. That's just retarded.

Well, if a champ would open a match with a low blow or blatant attempt to DQ himself I think the same thing would happen.

I actually don't mind the "no title change on DQ" rule. The whole idea that the champion has to be actually beaten appeals to me. Plus there's still some inner child in me that wants to believe wrestling is real and that the rules make sense and all that shit.

I'd also add that DQ finishes can add to a feud or character. If a heels driven to go for a blatant DQ because they know they can't win it should be a huge deal a rile the fans, or maybe they're a chick-shit heel who lucked into the belt and can only make wins through DQs. I think the issue is that DQ finishes (in all matches) became far too prevalent on cards.

Alucard

Banned
The thing I do agree with is TURNING YOUR BACKS on stuff you don't care about. Not BOOING or CHEERING, but actually showing indifference. That's the one thing that shows fans aren't interested.

I wish I remembered the soccer game that had every single fan holding up a newspaper while the visiting team was being introduced or something along those lines. Just saying "We don't give a fuck. Just gonna read today's paper instead."

I would MARK if enough fans did something like that.

I just find it to be a pretty dumb rule.

Though still not as dumb as the four-way tag matches that WWE pulls these days where where only two can be in the ring and you have to tag in your opponent. That's just retarded.

I agree it's dumb but a whole lot of wrestling is dumb, you just need to roll with it.

I don't really mind those 4 way tag matches, the rule is that only 2 people can be in at a time is the rule so it makes sense. On top of that having 4 team but only 2 in the ring can create a better flowing match and presents opportunities for some pretty cool spots; such as at Shimmer last year when Portia and Nicole ended up being tagged in at the same time which lets them pulla douchey heel routine.

With that said I think there are times that it's stupid. Hardcore, cage, or any kind of no DQ tag matches where there are no rules and people abide by standard tag rules are fucking dumb.

I've always really liked the Tornado tag matches, and I always found it weird they rarely do them. Is there a reason WWE doesn't do more Tornado Tag matches?

The thing I do agree with is TURNING YOUR BACKS on stuff you don't care about. Not BOOING or CHEERING, but actually showing indifference. That's the one thing that shows fans aren't interested.

I wish I remembered the soccer game that had every single fan holding up a newspaper while the visiting team was being introduced or something along those lines. Just saying "We don't give a fuck. Just gonna read today's paper instead."

I would MARK if enough fans did something like that.

This.

Turning your back is something they cannot mute or edit out. This would be something that Vince would pay attention to.

Alucard

Banned
Or this:

soccerfans_wideweb__430x300.jpg

Really though, showing indifference is the only way to show a company that you don't care...but you paid money to see them, so you've already kind of lost.

G-Fex

no one is going to do jack shit cause no one in the crowd gives a fuck about co-operation or what the hell the internet smarks wants. They only do stupid chants together sometimes.

Alucard

Banned
no one is going to do jack shit cause no one in the crowd gives a fuck about co-operation or what the hell the internet smarks wants. They only do stupid chants together sometimes.

If you get a few hundred people on the same page, that could potentially start a wave of followers. I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd be curious to see it just for the shock value of fans sending that kind of message.

Sephzilla

If you get a few hundred people on the same page, that could potentially start a wave of followers. I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd be curious to see it just for the shock value of fans sending that kind of message.

I'd just like to see how WWE would try to edit that out of history

This.

Turning your back is something they cannot mute or edit out. This would be something that Vince would pay attention to.

Listening to Cena on the Stone Cold podcast really irked me at points. He shouldn't be content with the crowd verbally shitting over his matches because it's a reaction; if they were smarter they'd do nothing at all. On a different note him talking about how he had to take risks and how nobody backed him got on my tits given his debut revolved around him nearly beating Angle as a nobody.

G-Fex

One in a million chance of it happening though Alucard.

At most we'll get the same old tired CM Punk chants mixed in with some yes thrown in.

I'd just love to see them chant during a match like the Orton/Cena match. That was great!

nice one persp. There's a few users I'd like to say the same kind of thing to.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Attitude era Mean Gene is running wild, dick jokes, hitting on valets, cursing.

Vitamin Gene will keep Miss Jones up all night.

Also I've never seen Mayhem 2000 before, this is a revelation with Stevie Ray commentating.

So fucking terrible and dumb. Great crowds comes naturally.

"Natural" crowd have gotten us nowhere, and the WWE actually ignores reactions pushing forward with their plans no matter what.

It's time to manufacture change. Release the hounds of complaining, and Believe In The Smarks.

gurudyne

I'd just like to see how WWE would try to edit that out of history

It'll happen and they'll ignore it unless they need fodder for a heel promo, ala SD. Should it become a chronic issue for that town, they'll either win the local fans back in other ways (DBry title run, Punk return, 5 star match, what have you) or cut it out of the live show tour until things die down a little. WWE's a TV show, not a live show so much anymore, which is why their top guy can get shat on in front of live audiences with no panic--the WWE's heavily invested in revision and spinning as creative media. It's also why isolated incidents of fan revolt never hurt them at all--if boos/cheers/hostile reactions are infrequent enough, it doesn't hurt the show's limited continuity.

But all of that isn't to say mass revolts don't have an effect on the show. It just isn't an immediate or obvious one. Chronic mass fan revolts like this can't help but shake things up, regardless of how stubborn the company might be about doing things their way. If nothing else, fan reactions feed other fan reactions and the casuals pick up on this. It affects the market, driving popularity for the show and more importantly, certain wrestlers which we've seen is the biggest aspect of making someone a draw. Enough people making enough noise for long enough changes things.

TL;DR: If fans cheer/boo/sit on their hands consistently enough, the show will change around them. Also, the WWE is weirdly invested in being at pretendsies war with its fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom