• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Stone Cold was a draw as soon as he got that first title. I was a kid and everyone talked about Stone Cold and wanting to see him. And context is important, you're right. These are different times. Bryan is a multiple World Champion who has had Raw booked around him for the better part of the last half year. He's not going to magically become some huge draw because he's given a big push now. If it's the Cena push, then ain't no one got time to see this shit for years on end just to finally make him an insignificant draw in the grand scheme of things. These draw discussions are stupid purely for the fact that no one knows what WWE sees and measures in the background to determine who their top stars.

You all should just be satisfied with the era of Brotista which is beginning at Wrestlemania. I'm expecting a lot of angry people in this thread too when it inevitably happens.
As I said before Brotista did not sign on again to put anyone over Wrestlemania!

DMczaf

tumblr_n28k4ycOBK1s8ni8uo1_1280.jpg

Pavaloo

Daniel is great
Daniel is very over
Daniel is not Stone Cold Steve Austin

there is only one successor...

stonecoldstunner39ie8.gif

edit: v he had to wait for long term booking to finish not an ego duel (that wrestle mania was supposed to be a shawn vs bret rematch from the year before)

Austin 3:16 was like 18 Seconds for Bryan, it was the beginning of him getting over in a big way, but that was in 1996, when Austin was a midcard heel. He didn't become THE guy until early 1998 at WM14, nearly two years later.

Even then, I'm sure it took months before he was a draw just because he was Stone Cold Steve Austin. The feud with Vince after WM14 and the heat of the Attiude Era is what solidified him as the biggest star in WWE history.

Think on that, all of the biggest stuff for Austin came after he won the title at WM, not before. People claiming Bryan shouldn't win the title because the chase is all there is is crazy. What's the alternative? The unbelievably irrelevant Orton holding the title? Batista whom the crowd despises?
These are not very future proof.

You make the star, then you make the star into a brand. That's how it goes.
For the most part I agree but I feel the moment Austin wrestled Bret at mania was the start of him being the guy. 97 was a great year for him and getting injured by Owen only made people want to see him more. Unfortunately he had to wait for Bret and Shawn egos to get out of the way .

Ithil

I'm pretty sure Stone Cold was a draw as soon as he got that first title. I was a kid and everyone talked about Stone Cold and wanting to see him. And context is important, you're right. These are different times. Bryan is a multiple World Champion who has had Raw booked around him for the better part of the last half year. He's not going to magically become some huge draw because he's given a big push now. If it's the Cena push, then ain't no one got time to see this shit for years on end just to finally make him an insignificant draw in the grand scheme of things. These draw discussions are stupid purely for the fact that no one knows what WWE sees and measures in the background to determine who their top stars.

You all should just be satisfied with the era of Brotista which is beginning at Wrestlemania. I'm expecting a lot of angry people in this thread too when it inevitably happens.

All hail Brotistania. Bitches leave.

Who said anything about magic? Building someone into a draw is a business process, there's no one moment involved. Stone Cold was a long term buildup, and more important they sustained it after he won the title and made him bigger than ever.

That's what they're doing with the YES Movement now. It's a brand for fans to rally around, which, if it works, would turn Bryan into a top merchandise seller and bring a lot of casual fans into his fanbase. It's part organic, part corporate, because the fans really do want to see Bryan right now, so they are building a brand based on that, which would sustain said demand for Bryan after the chase is over and he's a top guy.

It's also something they have failed at doing a number of times in the last ten years because their attempts were all corporate. Sheamus, Del Rio, Bobby Lashley, Ryback, and many more, all were supposed to be huge deals, but all ended up underperforming because they were forcing it.
Bryan isn't forced, he's a commodity the audience wants to see, and they're finally finding a way to monetise that now, which is going to make them want to push him as a top guy.

As I said before Brotista did not sign on again to put anyone over Wrestlemania!

I have some bad news for you.

Batista doesn't give a fuck about that stuff. He's here to make money and do business. Also the days of being able to refuse jobbing are long gone.

Also from the reaction in this thread in terms of people stopping their stupid boycott, it'll boost Network subscriptions, which is their main goal right now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bryan is never going to be allowed to shave is he? Someone should do a Bryan 10 years later pic with him soaring into the ring with his flowing beard cape.

Verendus

Banned
Who said anything about magic? Building someone into a draw is a business process, there's no one moment involved. Stone Cold was a long term buildup, and more important they sustained it after he won the title and made him bigger than ever.

That's what they're doing with the YES Movement now. It's a brand for fans to rally around, which, if it works, would turn Bryan into a top merchandise seller and bring a lot of casual fans into his fanbase. It's part organic, part corporate, because the fans really do want to see Bryan right now, so they are building a brand based on that, which would sustain said demand for Bryan after the chase is over and he's a top guy.

It's also something they have failed at doing a number of times in the last ten years because their attempts were all corporate. Sheamus, Del Rio, Bobby Lashley, Ryback, and many more, all were supposed to be huge deals, but all ended up underperforming because they were forcing it.
Bryan isn't forced, he's a commodity the audience wants to see, and they're finally finding a way to monetise that now, which is going to make them want to push him as a top guy.
Oh my god, nobody cares.

Brotista era. Birth of Brotistania. Hash tag deal with it etc.

Zertez

I think Daniel Bryan's mic skills are better than what he has been showing lately especially given the crap they have given him to work with. I thought he was solid last night with the decent material he had to work with. He has been basically been giving the same promo for almost a year now, so it is easy to understand he is bored cutting the same promo and it showing in his work on the mic. For the past year he has pretty much had a promo involving getting screwed, being the little guy, the wwe universe, the authority and any combination of them.

Maybe it was just last night but he didnt seem to get the same pop as he has been. It will be tough for many things to match the crowd when he was leading the chants on top of the cage or in his home state, but they need to do something a little different soon. Yes/No chants are very safe in the PG era though, so they may ride it into the ground for years. With the overwhelming crowd support he gained quickly, it is understandable he would be taken back by the crowd at times. In the end I think it boils down to the material he is given, I thought he and Kane did a great job with their anger management segments even if they ran that in the ground too. Heel Bryan could draw heat and laughter at the same time, but they need a babyface badly now. Even Randy Orton is turning babyface without them doing a thing, other than he isnt named Batista.

I have some bad news for you.

Batista doesn't give a fuck about that stuff. He's here to make money and do business. Also the days of being able to refuse jobbing are long gone.

Also from the reaction in this thread in terms of people stopping their stupid boycott, it'll boost Network subscriptions, which is their main goal right now.
Here comes the money !

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
-- Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kington, Curtis Axel, Damien Sandow, Ryback and Big E are all confirmed for the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

Batigol

Banned
That was possibly the worst Raw I've seen in a year. It's the kind of Raw where you ask yourself why you are even watching

Friend who hasn't watched WWE in a few years started watching a few weeks back when Hogan returned. Said his interest is already waning after last night :lol

Bryan is never going to be allowed to shave is he? Someone should do a Bryan 10 years later pic with him soaring into the ring with his flowing beard cape.

They used to say the same about SES Punk.

The only wrestler that can't change his look is John Cena and that's only because he's an android.

That was possibly the worst Raw I've seen in a year. It's the kind of Raw where you ask yourself why you are even watching

Friend who hasn't watched WWE in a few years started watching a few weeks back when Hogan returned. Said his interest is already waning after last night :lol

If your friend came back because of Hulk Hogan then he's a dumb nerd.

Batigol

Banned
They used to say the same about SES Punk.

The only wrestler that can't change his look is John Cena and that's only because he's an android.

If your friend came back because of Hulk Hogan then he's a dumb nerd.

He's one of those people who doesn't know TNA exists so Hogan was just in exile for 7 years to him

-- Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kington, Curtis Axel, Damien Sandow, Ryback and Big E are all confirmed for the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

Well, looks like the Ziggler/Del Rio/Christian/Sheamus match is done for. I would rather watch the four of them in the ring at the same time then Christian/Sheamus again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom