• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

nNT8rUS.jpg

Bandini

I want everyone to stare at this for 60 complete seconds without interruption and then ask themselves: Would the WWE make this the face of their billion dollar, publicly-traded company during the biggest television rights negotiations in sports entertainment history?

A few months ago, when I decided to halfheartedly check out modern wrasslin' for the first time in about 20 years, one of the videos I watched on youtube was something like "best WWE trash talking of 2013." When I saw Bryan for the first time, I remember thinking "What? Who is this guy? Why do they let him go on camera looking like that? He seems pretty funny." His look is very different from what I'd expected after randomly seeing douchy looking guys like The Miz and John Cena when flipping through the channels over the last decade. It caught my attention, and when I actually saw him in a match, I was hooked.

So yeah, I would. He has crossover potential.

The problem with all of this "face of the company" talk is that it really doesn't matter-the face of the company is going to be John Cena.

That's what I thought was so dumb about that "face of the company" storyline with Orton and Bryan from last year. While Steph and H were debating about whether Orton should be that guy, it was Cena who was doing media appearances, doing the Network launch thing at CES, etc. I don't think it matters who's the champion, it's always going to be John Cena's face you see.

I mean, I get why they may not think Bryan "looks" like a champion, but "face of the company" appeal has got to be way down the list.

...and now I lurk back into the shadows, to post again in another six months or so.

somedevil

Well according to the 18-49 males Bryan is what they tune in for:

In the key demo of males 18-49, Raw peaked between 10:02 and 10:12 p.m. EST for the meat of Bryan's "Occupy Raw" bit setting up Hunter accepting a WrestleMania match.

Numerically, the Q9 segment at the top of the third hour averaged 1.747 million m18-49 viewers and scored a 2.78 demo rating. This grew on last week's show-high Q9 performance of 1.620 million viewers and 2.57 rating.

His feud with Hunter is carrying Raw right now. So its all going right as of now. Also the other top segments:

Over-run: Raw increased to 1.534 million viewers for Bryan & Show vs. Orton & Batista. The segment was up from 1.429 million viewers for last week's over-run, but last week's segment included a rare mid-overtime commercial.

Q5: Raw got a 26 percent top-of-the-hour bump to 1.494 million viewers for The Undertaker returning and Paul Heyman confronting him, plus one commercial. The segment peaked with 1.700 and 1.701 million viewers before the commercial.

Q7: Raw rebounded to 1.484 million viewers for the end of the tag match, one commercial, and a Divas tag match.

Also, the lowest segment is hilarious:

Q2: Raw dipped to a show-low 1.021 million viewers for Cena vs. Erick Rowan, plus two commercial breaks.

No one wanted to see the Hogan and Cena celebration. lol

somedevil

Kevin Steen vs either Jay Briscoe or Adam Cole for the ROH World Heavyweight Title at Global Wars in Toronto, May 10th.

Should be a good match, but I bet a few were expecting a New Japan challenger.

*edit, oh, and Kane is apparently selling insurance now;

http://www.jacobsagencytn.com/

Does he cover for fire damage?

Would you rather have the New Japan stars face each other or face ROH opponents because some don't think ROH has the roster for dream matches? For example would you want Okada vs Hiroshi Tanahashi live in person or Jay lethal vs Okada?

Scottify

Interesting rumor from SE Scoops, don't know their reliability track record.
Spike TV WWE rumor

WWE spiked 7% on Thursday afternoon based on a rumor that AMC Networks. is interested in buying the company.

In the midst of WWE’s ongoing TV rights fees negotiations, AMC has been one of the companies interested in WWE programming, along with and Viacom and FOX.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I take back everything nice I've ever said about Michael Hayes. Gordy's still safe though right :(

mrboo001

Banned
Kevin Steen vs either Jay Briscoe or Adam Cole for the ROH World Heavyweight Title at Global Wars in Toronto, May 10th.

Should be a good match, but I bet a few were expecting a New Japan challenger.

Hmm. Either match should be good but yeah, surprised no NJPW challenger. Wonder who would be going to Toronto now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've discovered that I really have no idea why I like what I like. I've turned a corner on Prince Devitt, grown to appreciate Bob Backlund and Giant Haystacks (sorta) and now Michael Hayes is a piece of shit.

You'll have to pry Batista's dick from my cold dead hands though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's this about Michael Hayes?

This thread should be turned into FUCK MICHAEL HAYES for a page or two to make Sunny sad about like Michael Hayes. Some other Michael Hayes stories: Got suspended for believing he had n-word privileges and telling Mark Henry that he was "more of a nigger" than Mark was. This was after he had been reprimanded for using slurs in the past because he feels it is okay since he doesn't "mean any harm" by them. And that was done on a WM weekend.

Has currently been suspended since last year for offering Rosa Mendez a drink literally days after she finished an alcohol rehab program.

strobogo

Banned
AMAZING

anyone ever see this? I want to see the full thing lol

you could comb it all you want and the ends would still come out frizzy

source: i am a beard connoisseur

Why didn't Striker ever apply any of that to his actual matches? Can anyone name a single memorable Striker match? It reminds me of all the various shoots Raven had done where he throws out professor level psychology and understanding of wrestling, but doesn't apply it at all to his own matches.

I knew about that second one, but holy shit at the first. He's lucky his wig wasn't split in 3 places.

The story is that Hayes and MVP had been throwing the word around with each other jokingly earlier in the night. As is usually the case with Hayes, he was drunk and went up to Henry to continue the joke that Henry wasn't a part of. Henry went to Vince/Steph after and PS was suspended for 60 days. For whatever reason, he really thinks h can say slurs like that because he doesn't mean anything by it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I knew about that second one, but holy shit at the first. He's lucky his wig wasn't split in 3 places.

As much as I love Mark, there's been multiple reports from other black employees and stars that say he's told them to basically stay quiet and endure bullshit instead of call it out - that he is one of those "just grateful to be here, boss" types.

Hell I don't work there though. It's just reports. I love Mark Henry and Hayes should have been exploded from the inside out for that.

Why didn't Striker ever apply any of that to his actual matches? Can anyone name a single memorable Striker match? It reminds me of all the various shoots Raven had done where he throws out professor level psychology and understanding of wrestling, but doesn't apply it at all to his own matches.

I watched his match from Mania 23 at lunch as I was taking detailed notes (New Breed vs ECW Originals) and he was fun in the ring but...I dunno. I've honestly seen very few Matt Striker matches period.

XenoRaven

I get the sentiment, wanting to basically just watch a NJPW show live, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a crossover?
The purpose of this show for me is to see people that normally wrestle in a country I don't live in. I don't really care about ROH, and I honestly don't see that changing. So if Nakamura or Okada vs Tanahashi is on the card then that is great news for me.

bart jr

Neo Member
Would you rather have the New Japan stars face each other or face ROH opponents because some don't think ROH has the roster for dream matches? For example would you want Okada vs Hiroshi Tanahashi live in person or Jay lethal vs Okada?

I'd prefer the New Japan guys face the ROH roster, for the most part. I'd love to see Okada vs. Adam Cole for the New York show, or maybe Nakamura vs Ciampa. I have a feeling Tanahashi will face someone like AJ Styles. If the Time Splitters came over, I'd like to see them face ReDragon.

If we get New Japan guys facing each other, I'd like it to be Liger vs Ibushi or something like that.

Kaladin

As long as they can run Raw and Smackdown simultaneously on the Network with the TV broadcast, I'm happy with wherever they land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom