• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predictions time!

Yujiro Takahashi vs. Shelton "X" Benjamin
Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki
Katsuyori Shibata vs. "The Machine Gun" Karl Anderson
Hirooki Goto vs. Doc Gallows
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi & El Desperado vs. Kazuchika Okada, Gedo & Jado
Lance Archer vs. Prince Devitt
Togi Makabe vs. Bad Luck Fale (hopefully this ends their boring ass feud)
Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
How long till it start?

Edgeward

Even if it is on smackdown, I am glad they gave Ziggy a good match and a promo after the win.

It is concerning how little featured Randy is in the past weeks. Regardless of anyone's personal opinion, he is still the world champ and they did just make a big deal of unifying the belts. I just hate how little WWE ever seems to care about title prestige

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Even if it is on smackdown, I am glad they gave Ziggy a good match and a promo after the win.

It is concerning how little featured Randy is in the past weeks. Regardless of anyone's personal opinion, he is still the world champ and they did just make a big deal of unifying the belts. I just hate how little WWE ever seems to care about title prestige

The holder of the second biggest title in the company is in the jobber battle royal at mania. Titles mean nothing

Sblargh

Banned

I think the idea is, in kayfabe, that while Orton holds the title it really has little prestige., because he only has it because he cheated his way into it a bunch of times with the help of the Authority.

But then, if the title doesn't have prestige, why does everyone want Bryan to have it so much? I think it is supposed to feel like this is a very bad title reign that can become a legitimate title reign once the legitimate champion has it.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, GAF, anything goes, but please, only stuff you actually like.

Recommend 3 (three), yes, 3 PPVs from any era for me to watch on the Network. This is that awkward moment where I confess I only started following wrestling, like, two months ago, even tho in those two months I devoured everything WWE related on Netflix and spent more time reading about it than on my masters dissertation.
I have this really big ammount of info on my head, but very little actual experience watching stuff back to back.

So, for a noob who has read too much and watched too little: 3 PPVs for me to watch start to finish on the Network this weekend.

I hope I don't get much heat for revealing I'm kind of an intruder here and yet I've been running my mouth off the entire month. :(

But you are my family now goddamn it, so you deserve the sad truth.

Recommend 3 (three), yes, 3 PPVs from any era for me to watch on the Network. This is that awkward moment where I confess I only started following wrestling, like, two months ago, even tho in those two months I devoured everything WWE related on Netflix and spent more time reading about it than on my masters dissertation.
I have this really big ammount of info on my head, but very little actual experience watching stuff back to back.

So, for a noob who has read too much and watched too little: 3 PPVs for me to watch start to finish on the Network this weekend.

I hope I don't get much heat for revealing I'm kind of an intruder here and yet I've been running my mouth off the entire month. :(

Well if you've never seen a Wrestlemania, then please watch 17 (X-7).

Money in the Bank 2011 is what brought a lot of excitement back to the wwe.

And just because I love Armageddon 2000, watch that.

Edit: though what makes some of this exciting is the context.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

ECW Barely Legal ’97
Summerslam 2002
Fully Loaded 2000

They really should go back to the brand split if they move to a network that will give Smackdown a higher visibility than it is getting now. They probably have enough stars to fit two full shows. Reading the results, the roster participation is so uneven sometimes even though they want you to believe you can see everyone at both shows.

They really should go back to the brand split if they move to a network that will give Smackdown a higher visibility than it is getting now. They probably have enough stars to fit two full shows. Reading the results, the roster participation is so uneven sometimes even though they want you to believe you can see everyone at both shows.
Oh hell no. The brand split was stupid and I'm glad it's finally over.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

Smackdown has sucked since 2004, it was good again in 09 but back to irrelevant. It needs to be a live show and not on friday

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Brand split always sucked.

If they really want greater visibility for Smackdown then have the show live.

Sblargh

Banned
Speaking of context and noobish; one of the things that eased me so greatly into the fabulous world of sports entertainment was the Janurary OP that, though filled with rage, was an actual excellent write-up about the Bryan storyline.

My recommendation for the Wrestlemania OP is to either copy/paste/update that or write something much like it in terms of tone and background information.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't know about anyone else, but I love that Nagata is getting a run with the GHC Heavyweight Championship. =D I love that old man.

Edgeward

Summerslam 2013 was a good ppv. Had two really strong matches.

Royal Rumble 2001 was a great ppv as well. One of the last truly great rumbles with a great build to it

Wrestlemania 19 is also a great ppv. Strong 2nd half card

BTW Lambda, I'm a little bit late, but thanks for all your Suzuki reviews. I enjoyed them quite a bit.

When I first started watching Suzuki in NJPW he just looked like such a badass. As it turns out, he actually is one. I was really surprised to see he had such an accomplished MMA career.

thanks man. the only japanese guy better at MMA in the 90s was Funaki. Sakuraba didn't really explode till the turn of the century.

You're one of the good ones. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
tumblr_maxlyrK73M1rhybyko1_500.png

why the fuck is the fuckin Big Show kissing Ka... nevermind, i don't want to know.

cornetteface.png

tm24

I wish FallingEdge would come see a PWG show with me.

Also, rewatched Joe vs Necro for like the 20th time. Such a fun match

Striker

Brand split always sucked.

If they really want greater visibility for Smackdown then have the show live.
Can you imagine how much Cena, HHH, Orton, and Batista they would've done throughout the mid-late 2000's? Gross. Who knows if Edge ever gets to see a decent, real push. Hell he helped Orton back into the light due to the Rated RKO team. Orton got into trouble pooping in bags, using roids and trashing hotel rooms while on tour. CM Punk and Jeff Hardy got pushes in the late 2000's, but that doesn't happen if you had one belt on both shows. Smackdown wasn't perfect, because it was fed Khali, but it was helluva lot more watchable than Raw from 2003 until 2011 when they started fading the split.

They should just use NXT talent and have it air, unless they worry too much about ratings or some shit. Smackdown right now is just a recap show or 1) a shot to use matches for the next week on Raw 2) a show to have rematches from that previous Raw.

Jamie OD

Good opening show for wXw 16 Carat last night but it peaked too early by having Ricochet & Rich Swann versus Hot & Spicy (wXw's tag champs) on in the first half. That match up was awesome just from the entrances alone. Everybody singing to All Night Long followed by a German rap over the Ghostbusters song (that Ricochet & Swann danced to). Just everyone in the building partying for a good while.

One of the middle turnbuckles detached itself during the 2nd match. It was fixed afterwards but I think a couple of wrestlers were left a little gun shy because of it. Also ringside is a tight squeeze because three sides have swarms of fans standing right next to the ring, but that's normal for wXw. The show at the end was a little underwhelming but the next two nights should improve now that a bunch of the wrestlers are out of the tournament and can be paired off for crazy matches.

Just in case, I'm going to be busy with the group I'm with for the rest of the trip so I can't meet up with anyone unless we happen to bump into each other.

Good opening show for wXw 16 Carat last night but it peaked too early by having Ricochet & Rich Swann versus Hot & Spicy (wXw's tag champs) on in the first half.

Always a danger whenever you have Ricochet & Rich Swann on the card - I'm fully expecting them to steal the show vs The Swords of Essex at RevPro tonight, if The Young Bucks vs Project Ego hasn't already done so.

5 MINUTES TO GO!

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP", 2014.03.15
Korauen Hall, Tokyo

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - $15

1. NJ Cup - Round 1: Yujiro Takahashi vs Shelton Benjamin
2. NJ Cup - Round 1: Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki
3. NJ Cup - Round 1: Katsuyori Shibata vs Karl Anderson
4. NJ Cup - Round 1: Hirooki Goto vs Doc Gallows
5. Hiroshi Tanahsahi, Kota Ibushi & El Desperado vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Jado & Gedo)
6. NJ Cup - Round 1: Lance Archer vs Prince Devitt
7. NJ Cup - Round 1: Manabu Nakanishi vs Bad Luck Fale
8. NJ Cup - Round 1: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii
9. NJ Cup - Round 1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.

Also, I just read the past few pages...the animu hate is strong with stro, but to be honest, I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't annoy him so.

5 MINUTES TO GO!

Korauen Hall, Tokyo

5. Hiroshi Tanahsahi, Kota Ibushi & El Desperado vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Jado & Gedo)
7. NJ Cup - Round 1: Manabu Nakanishi vs Bad Luck Fale

Also, I just read the past few pages...the animu hate is strong with stro, but to be honest, I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't annoy him so.
Just got in! Lets do this brah.

Predictions;

Shelton over Yujiro
Suzuki over Yano
Shibata over Anderson
Goto over Gallows
Archer over Devitt
Fale over Makabe
Naito over Ishii
Nakamura over DBS Jr.

Hopefully the pre-show doesn't go on for too much longer...

Should be another 10 minutes until the start, fucking pre-show.

Korauen Hall, Tokyo

7. NJ Cup - Round 1: Togi Makabe vs Bad Luck Fale

Refresh.

It's the stupid paywall - the first match is always part of the free pre-show, then they put the paywall up as the 2nd match starts.

This feels like the hundredth time Suzuki vs Yano has happened. The feud that will never end, like Miz vs Kofi.

Refresh.

It's the stupid paywall - the first match is always part of the free pre-show, then they put the paywall up as the 2nd match starts.

This feels like the hundredth time Suzuki vs Yano has happened. The feud that will never end, like Miz vs Kofi.
Thanka. Just missed the entire second match because of that bs.

Good first half to the show, really enjoyed Anderson vs Shibata and the 6-man tag - business should pick up for the second half, though, some great looking matches (and Makabe vs Fale).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom