• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigspud

Neo Member
Just watched WM 17 for the first time, some impressions from someone who just started following this recently...

That's really interesting to read about someone watching it for the first time. You're right in the general observation that execution is on the whole better, but the majority of stars created in the last decade haven't had the seasoning to properly tell stories (with huge exceptions). Decline of other meaningful US companies to work for is probably a big contributor to that.

The Eddie Guerrero thing was leading to his gimmick at the time of trying to get away with the most blatant illegal activity he could without being spotted.

Xater

WUT?

bildschirmfoto2014-03e1s7a.png

jred2k

It's almost a shame those beautiful were hidden behind a mask for so many years.

Side note: I rewatched WM14 last night and was reminded how afraid I was for the Undertraker when I was a kid. Kane is such a monster in that match.

Rapstah

Side note: I rewatched WM14 last night and was reminded how afraid I was for the Undertraker when I was a kid. Kane is such a monster in that match.
Not to spoil Spidermonkey's review of the event but I still don't really understand the pins in that match. Kane "kicks out" of several Tombstones by just twitching a little and I guess I can buy that the Undertaker would be so shocked that Kane can even do that that he stops pinning him every time, but then he also twitches in the exact same way on the last pin. And the pin isn't broken and the Undertaker wins.

strobogo

Banned
WCCW was so good. Caught up on it last night. Love the Von Erich's .

Hope we get some AWA soon

Does WWE own Memphis stuff??

No one really owns the rights to Memphis footage. It's very murky and was part of/sold as parts of multiple law suits. No one is really sure who owns what and it is likely that private collectors are the only ones with the actual tapes. I would guess a lot of stuff is gone due to poor storage or things being recorded over, which was common in the 80s from wrestling promotions.

Was it a bit when Vampiro called him Steve on Nitro?

I don't remember

Steve was definitely used a few times by Vamp, but I don't think that had anything to do with Sting not liking to work with him. Every time they'd have a match or angle, Sting would dominate Vamp. Just didn't give Vamp anything, which is weird, because Sting was always a guy who gave more than any top face around. He must really have not liked Vamp. Which also doesn't surprise me, because I haven't heard anyone say good things about Vamp.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just saw a "IT'S 1080p AUSTIN, IT WAS 1080p ALL ALONG" gif. FUCK.

MAKES ME SICK

sorry bro, sunny already approved gaming wrestling gifs because someone used that particular one with 720p in an xbone related thing.
Never realized how over Eddie was before he won the title

I don't think there was ever a time Eddie wasn't over. Even in WCW he got 'Eddie' chants all the time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Vamp both buried and set sting on fire in two PPVs in 2000. Sure he dominated the beginning and the ending of the feud but its not entirely accurate to say Vamp never got over.

Steve was definitely used a few times by Vamp, but I don't think that had anything to do with Sting not liking to work with him. Every time they'd have a match or angle, Sting would dominate Vamp. Just didn't give Vamp anything, which is weird, because Sting was always a guy who gave more than any top face around. He must really have not liked Vamp. Which also doesn't surprise me, because I haven't heard anyone say good things about Vamp.
I thought it was an accident and pissed Sting off.

But you're right, I think it's respect. It's like Taker all the sudden having to wrestle Mordecai. Vampiro more or less came out of nowhere in WCW anyway. He got a heavy push for no reason other than he looked funny.

Pavaloo

sorry bro, sunny already approved gaming wrestling gifs because someone used that particular one with 720p in an xbone related thing.

I don't think there was ever a time Eddie wasn't over. Even in WCW he got 'Eddie' chants all the time.

:'(

they will never win me over

nWo 4 lyfe

tm24

:)

No joke, I'm thinking about flying out there for BOLA 2014. I definitely want to watch a show live. With this new job and salary increase I got, I want to spend more time traveling.

BOLA would be a great event to see live.

One of the things that I always hated with going to watch PWG was that i was about 2hr30 min away and that drive would suck after the show was over. I just realized 2 months ago that my best friend moved to Northridge and northridge is right next to reseda and i now didnt have to make that sleepy ass drive home

strobogo

Banned
Vamp both buried and set sting on fire in two PPVs in 2000. Sure he dominated the beginning and the ending of the feud but its not entirely accurate to say Vamp never got over.

Vamp looked like shit in every encounter he had with Sting. Even the ones where he set Sting on fire or buried him. It definitely hurt Vamp more than helped him.

Mengetsu

Pretty sure this has been said already.

WWE CFO George Barrios revealed at the 26th annual ROTH Conference on Monday in California that the company would be revealing the first subscriber numbers for the WWE Network on 4/7, the day after Wrestlemania 30.

I'll be ready to calm the masses:

7uCX02A.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Not to spoil Spidermonkey's review of the event but I still don't really understand the pins in that match. Kane "kicks out" of several Tombstones by just twitching a little and I guess I can buy that the Undertaker would be so shocked that Kane can even do that that he stops pinning him every time, but then he also twitches in the exact same way on the last pin. And the pin isn't broken and the Undertaker wins.
The "twitch" on the last pin came after the three count. It took me a while to see it, as well, but it came after the ref counted three. The timing on it was perfect, to make it look like Kane was a half second from a kick out again.

That match was so well executed. The best big man match in WWE history with the best story and build up in WWE history.

strobogo

Banned
The "twitch" on the last pin came after the three count. It took me a while to see it, as well, but it came after the ref counted three. The timing on it was perfect, to make it look like Kane was a half second from a kick out again.

That match was so well executioned. The best big man match in WWE history with the best story and build up in WWE history.

Definitely the best match they had together and I think the only thing more over than it that night was when Tyson made the pin in the main event.

Rapstah

That match was so well executioned. The best big man match in WWE history with the best story and build up in WWE history.
You're right. It's pretty well laid out.

Any speculation on who wins Money in the Bank 2014? Probably Cena, right? If Batista is supposed to have the belt for his movie release then he has to win it off Bryan after WM before MITB. I guess they could just have Cena win the belt off Batista the normal way and put MITB on some unexpected midcarder but I can't see anyone right now. I guess the situation could be different in June (July?) though.

Edit: The WM30 graphics package looks cheap as hell. I don't see what they're going for at all. Low-poly wine glasses?

Bowser

You're right. It's pretty well laid out.

Any speculation on who wins Money in the Bank 2014? Probably Cena, right? If Batista is supposed to have the belt for his movie release then he has to win it off Bryan after WM before MITB. I guess they could just have Cena win the belt off Batista the normal way and put MITB on some unexpected midcarder but I can't see anyone right now. I guess the situation could be different in June (July?) though.

Edit: The WM30 graphics package looks cheap as hell. I don't see what they're going for at all. Low-poly wine glasses?

I would think Cesaro would be perfect for it this year.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Definitely the best match they had together and I think the only thing more over than it that night was when Tyson made the pin in the main event.
That was the last and only WM Taker match I can recall where he went into it a legitimate underdog. They did such a great job building Kane up for months. I remember as a kid thinking that Taker had no chance in that match. Kane lost, but somehow, still looked great doing it.

Rapstah

I would think Cesaro would be perfect for it this year.

You're right! I forgot about him. I was also considering Roman Reigns but it's way too early for him to hold the main belt anyway, and failing to cash in would be stupid for him. Cesaro is the perfect upper midcarder for MITB if they go for that this year.

BOLA would be a great event to see live.

One of the things that I always hated with going to watch PWG was that i was about 2hr30 min away and that drive would suck after the show was over. I just realized 2 months ago that my best friend moved to Northridge and northridge is right next to reseda and i now didnt have to make that sleepy ass drive home

If I can work things out, I be down. I would like to make a trip out of it so maybe stay in LA before making it out there? I have no idea but really would be fun to do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only flaw I can think of with Kane versus Taker WM 14 is that it set the blueprint for a ton of boring Kane Taker matches in 1998.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The only flaw I can think of with Kane versus Taker WM 14 is that it set the blueprint for a ton of boring Kane Taker matches in 1998.
None of their matches in 1998 were boring, with the exception of their Judgment Day 1998 match. That overly long match could be anyone to sleep. All their other matches were great, though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

That match was so well executed. The best big man match in WWE history with the best story and build up in WWE history.

Diesel vs Undertaker was a better big man match.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Ha.
No
My review will be up in a while, I will address the convoluted story and the match.
Convoluted story? Kane was thought to have perished in a fire that Taker started, and he's now back for his revenge. Too much for your brain to handle?

It got convoluted later on, but it was pretty simple then. As a 10 year old kid, I got it pretty easily.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Convoluted story? Kane was thought to have perished in a fire that Taker started, and he's now back for his revenge. Too much for your brain to handle?

It got convoluted later on, but it was pretty simple then. As a 10 year old kid, I got it pretty easily.
I though you were saying that Kane and Undertaker in general was the best story in WWE history. No need for insults homie.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I though you were saying that Kane and Undertaker in general was the best story in WWE history. No need for insults homie.
No, I'm talking about WM 14.

Though, I will say that their feud in 2010 did a great job of sweeping aside the nonsense, and Kane's "I've been planning on betraying you for 13 years plan" storyline was really well done. It's too bad that Taker was too banged up and needed shoulder surgery really badly to deliver great matches at that point, with the exception of their Night of Champions brawl that was well done.

No need for insults? SHUT UP!!!!! ;)

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B
Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C
WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C
WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+
WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-
Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-

Not even the Jumping Bomb Angels or The Body getting under McMahon's skin could save the first Royal Rumble. Steamboat/Rude wasn't as good as I thought it would be (some of the blame goes to the lady in the first row WHO BROUGHT HER OWN MEGAPHONE) and the admittedly epic Hogan/Andre contract-signing was shown over and over again which made it lose its luster with a quickness. This one was dangerously close to D territory, but we'll keep the C- streak intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom