• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
Sure. It's great that some people know more about their profession than others. However, you directly linked his likability to his knowledge to promotions who are in the minority with his audience. That has absolutely nothing to do with his character or perception.

I personally don't like a dude who is at that level and doesn't try to be more knowledgeable or better at his job. And I can't feel bad for him when doesn't get pushed because he sucks in the ring and the reason he sucks is probably related to not trying to be knowledgeable or getting better at his job. And I don't like him because I don't think he's good at wrestling or talking, and that he's whiny about not getting his shot when he hasn't done anything to show he deserves anything more than he has.

I'm not talking about fans. I'm talking about Zack Ryder/wrestlers in general. Being unknowledgeable is one thing. Going out of your way to stay that way is stupid.

Sanjuro

I personally don't like a dude who is at that level and doesn't try to be more knowledgeable or better at his job. And I can't feel bad for him when doesn't get pushed because he sucks in the ring and the reason he sucks is probably related to not trying to be knowledgeable or getting better at his job. And I don't like him because I don't think he's good at wrestling or talking, and that he's whiny about not getting his shot when he hasn't done anything to show he deserves anything more than he has.

That is just simply fiction.

Who cares about his ring ability or job on the mic? He was over and did enough to generate sales and the crowd reaction. There have been plenty of other wrestlers who have done more with less.

It's all a moot discussion because the best he was going to do are the mid-card belts and tag titles. I rather have a more diverse line-up than a couple guys who just hold belts alone for months.

jmdajr

God damn this cold whatever the fuck I have. It literally feels like I have the Iron Claw applied to my head.

Pro_Wrestling_Iron_Claw.gif

Is there a comprehensive list of all the wrestling related events mania weekend? Last year it was wrestlecon/ROH/WWE/PWS. This year Wwnlive split off from wrestlecon, there's some weird legend shows, lots of live podcast/conversation shows. In having a hard time figuring out my schedule.

Also, what's the gaf in NOLA presence looking like?

Who cares about his ring ability or job on the mic?

Anyone who still watches the product for the actual wrestling?

Not everyone is a fan for the same reasons and having a catchphrase and being over with the crowd isn't enough to justify me giving a shit - I want to be entertained through wrestling matches and I'd be hard pressed to name a Ryder match that was ever worth a damn.

strobogo

Banned

Who cares about his ring ability or job on the mic? He was over and did enough to generate sales and the crowd reaction. There have been plenty of other wrestlers who have done more with less.

It's all a moot discussion because the best he was going to do are the mid-card belts and tag titles. I rather have a more diverse line-up than a couple guys who just hold belts alone for months.

That's just my opinion on Ryder. To be a guy his size and not be able to put on varied matches with guys of all shapes and sizes is a mid card for life pass.

Sanjuro

Anyone who still watches the product for the actual wrestling?

Not everyone is a fan for the same reasons and having a catchphrase and being over with the crowd isn't enough to justify me giving a shit - I want to be entertained through wrestling matches and I'd be hard pressed to name a Ryder match that was ever worth a damn.

Those fans are known to watch regardless of the content. So, doesn't seem to factor in.

I don't love Ryder, but he was likable and had a purpose on the roster. More than I can say about a healthy portion right now.

That's just my opinion on Ryder. To be a guy his size and not be able to put on varied matches with guys of all shapes and sizes is a mid card for life pass.

I can accept that. If someone just doesn't like the guy, that's fine by me. I just don't like when they don't like him and apply it to the majority of viewers. That's where some of the fans come off a bit strange.

strobogo

Banned
Those fans are known to watch regardless of the content. So, doesn't seem to factor in.

I don't love Ryder, but he was likable and had a purpose on the roster. More than I can say about a healthy portion right now.

I can accept that. If someone just doesn't like the guy, that's fine by me. I just don't like when they don't like him and apply it to the majority of viewers. That's where some of the fans come off a bit strange.

I never applied it to other viewers. I thought I was being pretty clear that I was talking about my personal view and opinion of Ryder only.

DiscoJon

Banned
The episode where Jerry Lawler invaded ECW was awesome, hope they put that up on the network. Extremely Crappy Wrestling!
I remember going on AOL wrestling boards in the mid-nineties and seeing people constantly post about how great ECW was over WWF/WCW. By the time I finally got to see an ECW match it was the Sandman drunkenly stumbling around the ring. Later on I finally got to see the cool lucha stuff and Eddie and Malenko in ECW. Wrestling fan elitism has always been there, and there's plenty of it on here. For every good thing going on in some American indie/Japanese/UK/Mexican fed there's still plenty of garbage. There always is, there always has been. I'm not going to defend WWE/TNA and say everything they do is great, because it's not. But I've said it once and I'll say it again, just because it's obscure or not well known doesn't mean that it's automatically good.

Yottsume's translated another KinPuro card opening, this time with Toru Yano;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u02TjHN_D_w

If anything, I'd say those fans are known to stop watching when the in-ring quality takes a dive - thankfully, we're in somewhat of a golden era of in-ring quality in the WWE at present, so I'm not at all bothered about not seeing a one-dimensional wrestler like Ryder on the cards.

Sanjuro

I am calling it.

Sting is going to Jeff Jerretts new thing and will never wrestle a match in WWE

I have two opinions of Sting.

I could go either way with Sting. The way the company is run right now, I already know how he would be incorporated.

If they are going to use him, my ideal WWE Sting is like what happened with Goldberg. Give him a year with no break, leading into next years Wrestlemania. Then he says goodbye.

strobogo

Banned
I hope I'm not coming across as an elitist fan. I'm not giving fans shit for not watching everything available to them. I am giving wrestlers shit for making a point not to watch stuff available to them and never improving in the ring, yet still bitching about not getting a push.

Toshiaki Kawada watched all kinds of stuff and he's pretty good:

ij9TvYYS46OcK.gif

Sanjuro

If anything, I'd say those fans are known to stop watching when the in-ring quality takes a dive - thankfully, we're in somewhat of a golden era of in-ring quality in the WWE at present, so I'm not at all bothered about not seeing a one-dimensional wrestler like Ryder on the cards.

I don't know if I'd ever call this a "golden era". There are some nice things happening, but I still feel that it's a very sterile product.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I'd ever call this a "golden era". There are some nice things happening, but I still feel that it's a very sterile product.

We're definitely getting more entertaining matches than we were 5 years ago. It's a noticeable uptick. NJPW being so amazing helps too.

everyone is neutured (or doesn't know more) . you can tell a story in the ring with half a dozen moves but no one knows how to do it.

for all it's worth, i easily rate Orton as the best overall performer in the ring nowadays.

jmdajr

I was looking at some stats the other days. A lot of the early Mania's didn't have very many long matches. I mean the work rate just wasn't there. At the same time you hear about all these hour long long iron man matches in the NWA, but were they good? Maybe haven't seen them many.

Anyhow I think today it's a pretty good balance. 20-30 minute matches, but a lot more going on than just head locks and punches.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
everyone is neutured (or doesn't know more) . you can tell a story in the ring with half a dozen moves but no one knows how to do it.

for all it's worth, i easily rate Orton as the best overall performer in the ring nowadays.

Orton is truly great. The issue with him lately is the story he's telling the people don't want to hear. He's capable of fantastic matches.

I don't see how you wouldn't call this a good period considering how shit everything went for 5 years or so after Eddie and Benoit went to go live on a farm. Even before then the JBL/HHH era was pretty godawful as well.

jmdajr

It's like a fighting game. Every wrestler should have a move set, and some finishing moves.
I mean no reason to be fucking Shang Sung and try to do everything.

Sanjuro

We're definitely getting more entertaining matches than we were 5 years ago. It's a noticeable uptick. NJPW being so amazing helps too.

I think the matches are more entertaining as of late, but I don't think the quality of the matches are carrying over to help develop a majority of those said characters.

The only one that seemingly has anything to do is Wyatt...and I still have no fucking clue what his "brothers" names are, brother.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I tell ya who I do miss - Legacy. The DiBiase/Rhodes/Orton era.

jmdajr

Random stats about match length at Mania

Shawn Michaels match time for all his Wrestlemania matches combined is 378 minutes of in ring time. Shawn has Wrestled 17 matches at Wrestlemania which is a average of about 22 minutes per match. The Undertaker is in 2nd place and comes close to Shawns record, The Undertaker's total is 325 minutes and 43 seconds. Undertaker in his 20 match win streak averages about 16 minutes per match.... Just a example, Other Wrestlers like John Cena who clocks in at 154 Minutes and 40 Seconds, Also HHH whos combined match time is 292 Mintues and 36 Seconds and Chris Jericho 154 Mintues and 11 Seconds (Yes John Cena has more in ring time at Wrestlemania than Chris Jericho).

Underertaker has been involved in the most Face vs Face matches (5). Undertaker has wrestled Batista, Shawn Michaels and HHH two times apiece.

Shawn Michaels and HHH holds the record for losing the most Championship matches at Wrestlemania. Shawn Michaels has lost at Wrestlemania 11,14,20 and 23. Shawn has been on the losing end of 4 Championship matches and 3 times he was the challenger. HHH has lost his Championship matches at Wrestlemania 20,21,22 and 24. :(

strobogo

Banned
Hacksaw coming out at Summerslam 1989 reminds me of my avatar. Jim Duggan in a Demolition mask, King Haku's cape and crown, the flag, the board painted like the flag, and a little crown for the board. And face paint.

I hear people complain about WWE's toned down style, but then I think about things like Misawa dying in the ring, Edge and Austin's shortened careers, Benoit, Mick Foley, and all these late 90's guys ODing or suiciding and I'd gladly take a toned down style over the alternative.

Ithil

He did admit in the video that he's a nostalgic guy. Makes sense, he's a total 80's kid. Grew up in Long Island when the center of the WWF was Madison Square Garden. You think John Cena or Lesnar know anything about puro guys?

I teach band stuff, do you think I know everthing about musical instruments? Hell no. Kid comes up to me about a flute or a bassoon and I usually don't have a freaking clue.

I'm sure Ryder's aware of the stuff you mentioned, but who cares if he prefers Ultimate Warrior over Stan Hansen?

Cena has said Misawa is a favourite wrestler of his so I think he does know about puro.

Sanjuro

Cena has said Misawa is a favourite wrestler of his so I think he does know about puro.

Like I said before, I have ZERO knowledge of what puro is. For all the shit Cena gets, he seems to come across as a bit intelligent of the industry, if anything groomed to do so.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said before, I have ZERO knowledge of what puro is. For all the shit Cena gets, he seems to come across as a bit intelligent of the industry, if anything groomed to do so.

...do you wanna get in to it? Because it's totally worth your time and you can get a guided tour :)

I hear people complain about WWE's toned down style, but then I think about things like Misawa dying in the ring, Edge and Austin's shortened careers, Benoit, Mick Foley, and all these late 90's guys ODing or suiciding and I'd gladly take a toned down style over the alternative.

poor physical preparation and freak accidents. japanese guys work stiff for 20, 30 years and you don't heard about them OD'ing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And a bit less traveling compared to the American lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom