• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
poor physical preparation and freak accidents. japanese guys work stiff for 20, 30 years and you don't heard about them OD'ing.
Japanese guys work way less shows. The reason why the WWE has a toned down style is due to their travel schedule. If they wrestled a puro style, they'd be dead after a few shows.

For every physical wreck like Kobashi who destroyed his body through the strong style he was working, there's an anomaly like Masato Tanaka - dude took some of the most reckless bumps I've ever seen in his ECW/FMW stuff, but is in better shape now than at any point in his career. Madness.

Random unrelated gifs, god I love Harley Race's ridiculous selling;

iknJhCCFbr3rn.gif

ibj6VUPSrm1G7W.gif

Japanese guys work way less shows. The reason why the WWE has a toned down style is due to their travel schedule. If they wrestled a puro style, they'd be dead after a few shows.

There's not actually a huge difference in the number of shows they work, it's more to do with the 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off tour schedule and the fact that they don't have anywhere near as much travelling to do as WWE wrestlers.

Matches wrestled in 2013 -

John Cena; 142
Hiroshi Tanahashi; 116

Incidentally, Bryan is a goddamn work horse - nearly 230 matches wrestled last year.

UberTag

And, technically, the first time Taker faced Triple H at Mania it wasn't a face vs. face confrontation.

Although in my mind, Triple H has been and always will be a heel.

jmdajr

Is it Halloween Havoc?

Bash at the Beach!

Oh here comes Lord Steven Regal.

edit: Lol Marc Mero.

Regal had a great interview with Austin. He said he was kind of mortified when he got to WCW and the likes of Marco Mero and Buff the Stuff were more interested in their tans than the work rate.

in his words, "what did I get myself into"

jmdajr

Yay more content.

WWE is adding two new original shows to the WWE Network this week. First, the latest "WrestleMania Rewind" will feature an exclusive look inside John Cena's first two WrestleMania matches. Cena made his debut on the grandest stage of them all at WrestleMania XX, where he defeated the Big Show to become the United States Champion, his first major singles title. The following year at WrestleMania 21, he defeated John Bradshaw Layfield to become WWE Champion.

Second, the latest "WWE Countdown" looks at the top ten "biggest backstabbers" in pro wrestling history. It airs Tuesday at 10/9c, immediately after the new "WrestleMania Rewind".

On the Cena deal I remember being pissed that he beat JBL in like less than ten minutes. I just wanted a decent match.

strobogo

Banned
I hear people complain about WWE's toned down style, but then I think about things like Misawa dying in the ring, Edge and Austin's shortened careers, Benoit, Mick Foley, and all these late 90's guys ODing or suiciding and I'd gladly take a toned down style over the alternative.

I'd like Wrestlemania Rewind a lot more if they had alternate commentary or pop up facts from the participants. I have no desire to watch the matches straight when I could just watch them on their actual cards whenever I want.

jmdajr

I'd like Wrestlemania Rewind a lot more if they had alternate commentary or pop up facts from the participants. I have no desire to watch the matches straight when I could just watch them on their actual cards whenever I want.

Seems like an idea. Just hit Steph up on da Twitta

SoulPlaya

more money than God
There's not actually a huge difference in the number of shows they work, it's more to do with the 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off tour schedule and the fact that they don't have anywhere near as much travelling to do as WWE wrestlers.

Matches wrestled in 2013 -

John Cena; 142
Hiroshi Tanahashi; 116

Incidentally, Bryan is a goddamn work horse - nearly 230 matches wrestled last year.
Nearly 30 less matches is a lot less to me, but whatever. Either way, the WWE schedule being so brutal is why they wrestle the way they do, and we agree there.

This is actually something I'm surprised they didn't do.

Though I did watch HBK vs Austin in its entirety in their episode.

was that like a muscled little richard?

It was fucking lame Marc Mero.

strobogo

Banned
Seems like an idea. Just hit Steph up on da Twitta

It just seems weird to me that they all say "See the match like you've never seen it before" and then they show you the match exactly like you've seen it before. That led me to believe there would be new commentary or pop up facts or something.

Damn, Regal put Senator Antonio Inoki over in like 2 minutes! Crowd are eating this up, wanting Senator Antonio Inoki to knock Regal's head off.

Just checked my watch: It's Vader Time.

2118797-shirts_we_sold_vader_time1.jpg

I appreciate that I'm in the minority with wanting to see a lot more territory stuff on the network, but I'd also appreciate it if they could at least upload the few episodes we get in some sort of chronological order.

Nearly 30 less matches is a lot less to me, but whatever.

New Japan would likely run more shows if they could but, as we've both pointed out, the differences in wrestling styles prevent them from doing so. Gotta give guys time off to recuperate.

How often do the Japanese wrestlers travel outside of Nippon?

Other than New Japan sending their young lions overseas on year-long learning excursions, not very often - although there are some who make selected appearances in the US and Europe, plus New Japan have their deals with CMLL and now ROH that see them talent exchanging wrestlers.

Rapstah

It's weird how much the cameras focus on children cheering Shawn Michaels at PPVs in 1995-1996. His character is a male stripper. You'd think they'd want to focus on young women for several reasons.

strobogo

Banned
Wtf happened to Big Boss man.

Went to WCW as The Boss, which was the Big Boss Man with a black shirt. Vince threatened to sue, so they went with The Guardian Angel for a while. Then he went back to Big Bubba. Then to Ray Traylor. Then back to the WWF as Shield's Daddy.

It's weird how much the cameras focus on children cheering Shawn Michaels at PPVs in 1995-1996. His character is a male stripper. You'd think they'd want to focus on young women for several reasons.

Positive Role Model for young children wishing to become Male Strippers. #equality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom