• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Road To Raw After Wrestlemania XXX has begun....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The really ridiculous part of his argument was that he considered LT to be a great usage of a celebrity (a retired football player MAIN EVENTING WRESTLEMANIA) but would not admit to there being anything good about Rodman and Malone (two popular current sports stars who just came off an emotionally charged NBA Finals). Even though it was one of WCW's biggest buyrates ever. And the whole point that everyone was making was basically, if it gets attention and draws money, then the use of a celebrity is worth it. So Rodman/Malone do both and JR just won't accept it because WCW did it. I liked his reaction when DDP told him that Arquette gave his pay check to Pillman's wife. He still wanted to shit all over it, but knew now he would sound like a prick, so he just kind of half heartedly stopped.
That sounds awful. Which roundtable was it? The only one with DDP in it I see is the renegades and outlaws one.

I love me some TNA. Impact is always fun to watch. Hell, wrestling in general is a blast. Yeah there is a lot of bad but it is still entertaining to me.

For once, I can actually say that I agree with bean breath.

MMA is cool and all, but comparing it to wrestling is just plain dumb. I won't deny that there is crossover in fans, but saying that wrestling sucks because MMA is better is like comparing Basketball to Football.

I don't know about that. I can partially blame wrestling for the whole Brock/Batista transition back to back between the two sports.

Striker

The posts I quoted explain it pretty accurately, but again:

I believe he got shit tanked for
1)being a bad performer
2)whining on the internet
3)whining on his shorts
4)he's a big baby^^

Ziggler got over, they turned him face. They didn't bury him because he got himself over, it was because the dude is reportedly hard as fuck to work with backstage. Bryan got over on his own look where he is. Austin did it. Rock did it. etc.

It's not "exactly what happened" at all, it's a load of fucking shit
What makes him a bad performer? He isn't Bret Hart or anything, but considering this is the same company who pushes Jack Swagger who gets people concussed (just generally sucks, tbh) and made Miz a WWE champion despite having any decent wrestling ability himself, just makes no sense. And I don't think any complaining came until he was randomly pushed off TV despite fans chanting and wanting to see him. They do what they want, fans can't do anything about it. They didn't want Zack Ryder to be popular and to be pushed into any scenario on the show. I know they have bad midcard direction anyways but Ryder could easily had fit in with no problem.

Heel

For once, I can actually say that I agree with bean breath.

MMA is cool and all, but comparing it to wrestling is just plain dumb. I won't deny that there is crossover in fans, but saying that wrestling sucks because MMA is better is like comparing Basketball to Football.

In my view, they're both dumb as hell.

I urge you to research the professional wrestling roots in the modern era of mixed martials. As boootay has pointed out, it is a very carny. It's sports entertainment with the illusion of a legitimate sports structure.

The backdrop driver variant Takaaki Watanabe's been using as a finisher since he went on his learning excursion last year;

Watanabe.gif

He also did some flippy thing off the top rope to the floor that no one in New Japan would've let a young lion do, mainly because they'd have likely guessed (correctly) that it wouldn't have ended too well.

Are we just all gonna shoot on Heel today?

I never inferred that about friend Heel, I was just commenting on my meagre experience of MMA fans in general. There are a bunch who seem very outraged when a fighter does something that's disrespectful, even when it seems obvious that they're working. Whatever the similarities between wrestling and MMA, it's all about promoting.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion

I urge you to research the professional wrestling roots in the modern era of mixed martials. As boootay has pointed out, it is a very carny. It's sports entertainment with the illusion of a legitimate sports structure.

Oh believe me, I know. If you want a title shot in UFC, become good friends with Dana.

Want a title shot in WWE, become good friends with Vince.

Same thing at their core.

strobogo

Banned

That's why the most popular fighters are the ones who are most like pro wrasslers. Like Rhonda, Chael, Anderson, and Dana White.

somedevil

I love me some TNA. Impact is always fun to watch. Hell, wrestling in general is a blast. Yeah there is a lot of bad but it is still entertaining to me.

I watch impact because it makes me laugh at how bad the writing is again. Bully cutting a 5 minute promo on an empty chair with music or Willow cutting 9th grade play promos hilarious.

I also need to know what happens when I listen to Wai and Pollock.

Terrabyte20xx

That's why the most popular fighters are the ones who are most like pro wrasslers. Like Rhonda, Chael, Anderson, and Dana White.

This is very true. There's only one fighter I can say without a doubt that I like that doesn't talk up his fights, and that's because he's stuck in the prelims for no good reason.

Pavaloo

What makes him a bad performer? He isn't Bret Hart or anything, but considering this is the same company who pushes Jack Swagger who gets people concussed (just generally sucks, tbh) and made Miz a WWE champion despite having any decent wrestling ability himself, just makes no sense. And I don't think any complaining came until he was randomly pushed off TV despite fans chanting and wanting to see him. They do what they want, fans can't do anything about it. They didn't want Zack Ryder to be popular and to be pushed into any scenario on the show. I know they have bad midcard direction anyways but Ryder could easily had fit in with no problem.

The angle with Eve, Cena, and Kane was a great display at how the dude is a bad performer. Walking to the ring with crutches switching which leg he sells an injury for cause he can't remember, etc. Miz on the other hand, is an excellent PR guy, it's pretty easy to see how they would get behind him even a little bit.

The dude is off tv and going no where because he's online complaining about not being on the show. I know, why don't pour all my money into a musical endeavour and make a song called Hoeski? That'll get me on RAW. Hey everyone who buys a copy of Hoeski, tweet me a picture and I'll follow you back. PLS ;_____; It might be nice to get on RAW one of these days... Look how many followers I have! More than the Miz!! I should be on TV!!!! WOE IS ME IM ZACK RYDER, FANS WONT YOU HIJACK THE SHOW FOR MEEEE?

Fucking dude needs to grow a pair and go talk to Vince, Steph, Triple H etc.

You know why Curtis Axel and Ryback are on TV because they know how to talk to their fucking bosses like men.

You're right he could fit on the mid card no problem, but it's him being a passive-aggressive whiny spineless superstar that has him sitting in the back forever.
zack-ryders-push-me-trunks.png

Guzim

The angle with Eve, Cena, and Kane was a great display at how the dude is a bad performer. Walking to the ring with crutches switching which leg he sells an injury for cause he can't remember, etc.

The dude is off tv and going no where because he's online complaining about not being on the show. I know, why don't pour all my money into a musical endeavour and make a song called Hoeski? That'll get me on RAW. Hey everyone who buys a copy of Hoeski, tweet me a picture and I'll follow you back. PLS ;_____; It might be nice to get on RAW one of these days... Look how many followers I have! More than the Miz!! I should be on TV!!!! WOE IS ME IM ZACK RYDER, FANS WONT YOU HIJACK THE SHOW FOR MEEEE?

Fucking dude needs to grow a pair and go talk to Vince, Steph, Triple H etc.

You know why Curtis Axel and Ryback are on TV because they know how to talk to their fucking bosses like men.
Apparently Ryder was asking Foley for advice, and Foley asked if Ryder went to talk to Vince. Ryder said no.

Pavaloo

Apparently Ryder was asking Foley for advice, and Foley asked if Ryder went to talk to Vince. Ryder said no.

Yep definitely remember that. Cena said on Austin's show too (paraphrasing) "too many stars are afraid of losing their inconsequential spot so they don't even bother fighting for a better one"

Sephzilla

I stopped feeling for Ryder a long time ago. The dude did nothing but complain on twitter and make passive swipes at his bosses instead of just growing a pair and talking to them directly. I'm legit surprised Ryder hasn't been future endeavored yet.

somedevil

I found this interesting:

The Chamber show did 156,000 North American buys, at the top level of any “B” show in years with the exception of last year’s show, but that number was drawn by a Rock vs. C.M. Punk match, and this had nothing close to that for mainstream appeal.

So what drew in viewers? Was it Brock, the chamber match, Batista or the Shield vs Wyatt match? That match had great build and the match delivered.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yep definitely remember that. Cena said on Austin's show too (paraphrasing) "too many stars are afraid of losing their inconsequential spot so they don't even bother fighting for a better one"

Triple H also said there's a lot of guys who just expect storylines to happen for them. That they'll come up with something nad just assume it'll happen instead of pushing for it, talking to people, wanting it.

Terrabyte20xx

So what drew in viewers? Was it Brock, the chamber match, Batista or the Shield vs Wyatt match? That match had great build and the match delivered.
post-rumble2014 ppv was bound to have a high buyrate imo

Those are you answers. Royal Rumble had garnered a ton of mainstream attention due to the backlash of Daniel Bryan not being in the main event. Because of that people wanted to tune in to see what the WWE would do, especially because WWE likes to promote Chamber as the last chance to get into the Wrestlemania main event.

DMczaf

I am loving the fact that Daniel Bryan has been a bigger draw than Punk during his rise thus far. Punk probably beats him in merch sales, only because Bryan's merch has been so god awful that not even the biggest Bryan mark would buy that shit.

somedevil

That's especially odd given that it was the last PPV at the old price point.

Yeah and they only had 85 percent because of dish not carrying the pay per view and confusion that people who get it for free when they get it on the network.

Well it seems the Rumble and Elimination chamber did better than 11 and 12 but not as well when they had Rock in 13.

I found this interesting:

They made Orton look like an incredibly vulnerable champion, building up all of the competitors above him (expect christian lol) plus Shield and the Wyatts was built good too. I seriously doubt one person bought the Chamber to see Batista vs Del Rio.

Sokantish

I am loving the fact that Daniel Bryan has been a bigger draw than Punk during his rise thus far. Punk probably beats him in merch sales, only because Bryan's merch has been so god awful that not even the biggest Bryan mark would buy that shit.

CM Punk seemed to have the least obnoxious shirts

Striker

The angle with Eve, Cena, and Kane was a great display at how the dude is a bad performer. Walking to the ring with crutches switching which leg he sells an injury for cause he can't remember, etc. Miz on the other hand, is an excellent PR guy, it's pretty easy to see how they would get behind him even a little bit.

The dude is off tv and going no where because he's online complaining about not being on the show.]
The angle with Cena, Eve, and Kane was simply bad WWE writing. Whether it was Vince's call or his cue to give to the writers to make something entertaining, it stunk.

His complaints and snide remarks came when he was already off TV and doing nothing. There's two things he could be doing: act like a whiny person and do what he does now, or he could just be JTG, collect a paycheck and do nothing whatsoever. Fact is, they never had any plans to do anything with him after him and Hawkins broke up as a team. They likely only had plans for him as a fodder talent with no personality or gimmick. He wanted something more, got a new gimmick and made something of it, and they trashed it. I don't care one way or another about the guy, but it felt like they acted as if they were ambushed by him and wanted to prove a point.

Sephzilla

Punk's probably had the best shirts in a long time. And by that I mean Punk's shirts were ones you could wear out in public.

I wouldn't go too far with that. His ratings have been great, yes. His merch sales are rising, probably only second to Cena at this point, yes. PPV and Network mover? Who knows, hard to tell.

Punk probably had some degree of creative control over his shirts, which is why they weren't horrible - Bryan might have the same sort of control, but he's never had good t-shirts, even when he was producing his own. I mean, look at this shit;

Terrabyte20xx

I wouldn't go too far with that. His ratings have been great, yes. His merch sales are rising, probably only second to Cena at this point, yes. PPV and Network mover? Who knows, hard to tell.

Ever since Battleground, no one has been PPV movers, not even Cena. But with the Network, I think WWE is trying to get the locker room in a team mentality. The idea that people will tune in to see everybody, and not just one match.

UFC could use more entertainment for my money. More people working the marks, hold openweight fights in Japan and Brazil, give some of these nondescript midwestern wrestler joes some gimmicks, better entrances, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom