• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Road To Raw After Wrestlemania XXX has begun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B
Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C
WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C
WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+
WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-
Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
WrestleMania IV - C
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Survivor Series '88 - D
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B
Royal Rumble '89 - F
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C

The War of '89 would've been a D if it weren't for the -- no surprise here -- excellent Steamboat/Flair match. Also notable, the order of championship matches:

U.S. --> TV --> World --> World Tag Team --> U.S. Tag Team

...What?

strobogo

Banned
I had the same thought but I think the idea was since their previous match had gone around 56 minutes, they wanted to make sure they had PPV time for the whole match or something. And the TV Championship seemed to be of higher importance than the US until around 1991 or so.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
TV Championships are always great concepts, and certain people can elevate the titles.

Case in point:
FKGreUw.jpg

Hasney

Can we have him keep the Prince Devitt name and pair him with King Regal?

It's also really too bad Tensai lost his Lordship, that would make a hell of a stable.

I think Drew McIntyre should be knighted for his services to music and then have Sir Drew in there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Foolishly getting excited over Devitt coming to WWE. Foolishly.

Hey everyone, work Devitt into a post-Mania angle to introduce him.

izakq

For wrestling historians

1)How did Piper turn face in the late 80s? Went from being the most hated man in the industry to Hogan's good friend?

If I remember correctly, on Superstars, Adrian Adonis's talk segment, "The Flower Shop" had replaced "Piper's Pit", with Piper gone for a while. Then one week, Piper came back and interrupted one of Adonis's "The Flower Shop" segments, putting Adonis down, insult after insult. The following weeks they decided to have a "Piper's Pit" vs "The Flower Shop" showdown, as to which one was the better talk show, with both sets next to each other. At the end, Adonis, "The Magnificent" Don Muraco, and "Cowboy" Bob Orton (who turned on Piper) all attacked Piper and tore down "Piper's Pit", injuring his knee. A week(???) later, and enraged Piper came back on crutches and destroyed "The Flower Shop" set.

Then on one episode of "Saturday Night's Main Event", one match was Hogan vs. Orndorff (this was the revenge match when Orndorff had turned on Hogan). Hogan was just about to give Orndorff a piledriver, when out of nowhere, Adonis (dressed in women's garb) came out from the crowd, attacked Hogan, and the two double-teamed Hogan. Then Piper came out from the locker room, hobbling on a crutch, got into the ring, Hogan Irish-whipped Adonis towards Piper's direction, and he blasted Adonis with his crutch. After clearing out the ring, both Hogan and Piper did the "survey the environment to make sure all heels are outside with our backs to each other" bit. Then they made contact, both turned around, Hogan was about to punch Piper while Piper was about to swing his crutch but both maintained restraint and Piper hobbled back to the locker room.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently these two fuckers showed up at an In Your House:

S3Es7R4.png

First day at the new job. Time to make an impact!

Every Thursday night!

Let me know how it goes. Or us. Let us know. What the FUCK you doin' what kind of FOOLS you workin with, shit like that.

strobogo

Banned
Apparently these two fuckers showed up at an In Your House:

S3Es7R4.png

Every Thursday night!

Let me know how it goes. Or us. Let us know. What the FUCK you doin' what kind of FOOLS you workin with, shit like that.

Pretty sure Paul was there as well. Then the ECW edition of Raw came. Or maybe it was slightly before that. Whatever, the relationship between WWF and ECW was always weird. But it was always clear there was SOMETHING going on from the start as the shots at the WWF were much more infrequent and light than the ones thrown at WCW, even when there was an actual working relationship with WCW.

My guess is that Paul was still bitter with WCW and most of the people involved were North East guys who grew up as marks for WWWF/WWF.

Aiii

So not worth it
Pretty sure Paul was there as well. Then the ECW edition of Raw came. Or maybe it was slightly before that. Whatever, the relationship between WWF and ECW was always weird. But it was always clear there was SOMETHING going on from the start as the shots at the WWF were much more infrequent and light than the ones thrown at WCW, even when there was an actual working relationship with WCW.

My guess is that Paul was still bitter with WCW and most of the people involved were North East guys who grew up as marks for WWWF/WWF.

IIRC there was a whole bunch on that co-operation from the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So close to main eventing Mania, you mean. How straggly is his beard growth?

Devitt is an attractive, clean man. He can main event Wrestlemania with those stats as he looks good in promotional material and inspires confidence.

Heel

Devitt is an attractive, clean man. He can main event Wrestlemania with those stats as he looks good in promotional material and inspires confidence.

I agree, friend. Katie Couric wouldn't need to make mean-spirited jokes with producers during commercial break.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, friend. Katie Couric wouldn't need to make mean-spirited jokes with producers during commercial break.

Let's compare:

84qcMTQ.jpg

vs

tG57Rlm.jpg

It's obvious which one of them fell out of the Bad Fashion Tree and hit every branch on the way down.

You're agreeing with a man who thinks soul patches are cool in 2014

Knock it off, I have one. And it IS cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom