• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Hasney

Lets all bow our heads in respect of the impending retirement of one of Wrestling's greats...
ooIkixc.gif

Thought this might be about Mahony since he can't buy a GWF win.

Hasney

WWE has a lot of money but don't want be messing with people copyright and contracts. I mean they caught with messing with people contracts and haven't done it since

Matt Hardy on Twitter:

Well, you are accurate. #BROKEN Matt Hardy is officially @RebyHardy & myself's licensed trademark, as stated by the US Patent Department.

ReiGun

NXT callups?

is the Drifter finally getting his chance?

El Vagabando about to eat good on the blue brand.

Just make them veterans and let their charisma rule the tag division, maybe even tutors, anything but Broken.

They'll be Broken at some point. It's the whole reason WWE wanted them back.

Will the gimmick work in Vince's hands? Probably not. But that's why they wanted them.

And as for TNA? I'm sure WWE's legal team is already handling all of that.

Hasney

Not to mention funding a wreslting company that doesn't make any money.

Honestly, the way they've trimmed the wage budget (either by design or by being shittier than Dixie Carter), filming a quarter of TV in a week, having a TV deal (even on a terrible network) and become the creagtive lead on World of Sport getting that UK TV money, I wouldn't be shocked if they started turning tiny profits soon.

Sooooooo

Hall of Fame is Friday now?

Yeah, give that and Takeover some room to breathe

Sephzilla

The family behind Anthem are borderline billionaires. The idea that they don't have lawyers on hand is kinda weird.

It's not necessarily that they're billionaires. But they'd have to fund lawsuits against the Hardy's and WWE, and fund a wrestling company that is leaking money. Plus, Vince is a billionaire and he could use stalling tactics to basically drain their money. Not to mention their inevitable defeat in these lawsuits would be a giant black eye to the promotion in terms of ever getting talent. Basically unless Anthem have OJ Simpson tier lawyers, they should choose their battles

Mahonay

Banned
The family behind Anthem are borderline billionaires. The idea that they don't have lawyers on hand is kinda weird.
Doesn't mean that Anthem as a company have experience with an extremely aggressive company like WWE.

But if they have amazing lawyers? Sure, WWE should be careful.

It's not necessarily that they're billionaires. But they'd have to fund lawsuits against the Hardy's and WWE, and fund a wrestling company that is leaking money. Plus, Vince is a billionaire and he could use stalling tactics to basically drain their money. Not to mention their inevitable defeat in these lawsuits would be a giant black eye to the promotion in terms of ever getting talent. Basically unless Anthem have OJ Simpson tier lawyers, they should choose their battles

The WWE dropped nearly a half dozen guys from developmental deals after getting a letter from Sinclair. What makes you think they've got the testicular fortitude for a multi-year legal battle that would mostly benefit the Hardys?

Sephzilla

The WWE dropped nearly a half dozen guys from developmental deals after getting a letter from Sinclair. What makes you think they've got the testicular fortitude for a multi-year legal battle that would mostly benefit the Hardys?

Actually, this point you made makes me think an Anthem lawsuit of WWE would probably get thrown out since WWE was simply operating under the belief that the BROKEN gimmick is property of the Hardys.

The real answer to all of this is that the Hardy's wouldn't debut the broken gimmick on WWE TV because Vince can't own it

Sephzilla

Angle should have been a surprise Royal Rumble entrant. That pop would have been nuclear. It would have also saved an otherwise mediocre Rumble.

The thing that confuses me most about Taker/Reigns is that Reigns is supposed to be being disrespectful, which should garner him heat amongst the marks.

But then he gets attacked by Braun Strowman, and gets into a match with him, and we're supposed to cheer him for facing a heel.

???

It's just confusing. Reigns is clearly still going to remain a face, he's just being a bit of a dick for a PPV match. He's not even a full fledged dick, so it's like fans are supposed to cheer him, but not really.

This is also an awful way to turn him, because there is zero tension for this match other than "Roman suddenly is being a dick to Undertaker, but just a little bit for Mania"

Hasney

I'm guessing that Angle will be Raw GM, unless they said something last night and it's not been mentioned while I've been awake.

Sephzilla

I loved the power slam as a kid.

powerslam2.gif

I honestly miss old 80s and 90s style wrestling. Yeah, it was slower and to some it might be more boring, but to me it felt like that style still carried enough suspension of disbelief in order to pass off professional wrestling as a sport (which from a presentation standpoint, is what it was meant to be). Sure, you still had your bullshit like Hogan hulking up or Undertaker no selling chair shots. But you didn't see finishing moves used as goddamn transition spots like you see today.

WwE wont risk doing the broken thing if it isn't 100%. A long term lawsuit will cost more money than they will probably make.

WWE management might be carny madness a lot of the time, but in 2017 I really doubt they would do it unless they were sure.

Anthem will probably still try either way, so whatever.

Hasney

Bulldog weirdly started using the Superplex as his finisher when he came back in 99. Not that you would notice since he barely won a match, just bitched about not getting title shots.

Mahonay

Banned
I honestly miss old 80s and 90s style wrestling. Yeah, it was slower and to some it might be more boring, but to me it felt like that style still carried enough suspension of disbelief in order to pass off professional wrestling as a sport (which from a presentation standpoint, is what it was meant to be). Sure, you still had your bullshit like Hogan hulking up or Undertaker no selling chair shots. But you didn't see finishing moves used as goddamn transition spots like you see today.
I'll definitely take the AJ Styles and Sami Zayns of today over the Hogan era wrestling, but yeah, fucking stop destroying the entire point of having finishers. It's just stupid and helps absolutely no one.

I think it's one of the reasons I love Smackdown. They have finishers do their actual job a lot more often, and they'll pin people with non-finishing moves as well (Alexa's DDT in her cage match with Becky, Usos super kick to Jordan for the Tag Championship).

klonere

Banned

The transitions of the 90s were the finishers of the 80s.

Tis the cycle of things.

Zach

Bulldog weirdly started using the Superplex as his finisher when he came back in 99. Not that you would notice since he barely won a match, just bitched about not getting title shots.

Ain't nothing wrong with a superplex finish, brother. Windham's float-over superplex was cooool.

Top Bottom