• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Kaladin

Your first mistake was reading the replies. When it comes to any Tweet from even a mildly famous person, I don't even glance at the replies. It just kills brain cells.

I normally don't but Twitter puts the replies right there where you can see the first without even scrolling.

Anth0ny

if the fucking belly to bailey can be a finisher

a superplex sure as fuck can be a finisher

shit, a chop is more devastating than a belly to bailey

https://memorabiliaguy.com/2017/03/...rent-getting-a-show-that-is-catered-for-them/
What was it like working in an environment with constant change?

I’d do Monday Night Raw and go on the air many times without a script because they would rewrite the show while it was happening. I couldn’t prepare and it was hard to ask questions and not many people had answers. Even if you did ask questions upper management were not too keen. So I was left out of the loop and left to sink or swim. This was live TV. On social media people love to jump on you when you make a mistake, and there were so many times where I just didn’t know what I was supposed to do and hope that was I making the best guess. Otherwise you’d hear about it.

Why was that happening?

Well the writers would put the show together, then Vince would approve it, once it got to show day he would decide that he didn’t like it and certain things had to change. You’d be at the arena all day and the hours would go by, we’d be about to go live on TV and we’d have heard nothing. Sometimes I’d get the script right before I went out there, sometimes while I was at ringside, sometimes I’d only get the few two segments, even after the show had already started. As the show went on you’d get updates.

In the book you talk about Vince not caring what the fans think?

When you do a live wrestling show you have a live audience telling you what they like and what they hate. Instead of appeasing the fans and writing the show the fans like, and believe me they have some of the greatest minds and talent in wrestling, they could put on a Wrestlemania every week. Like the attitude era. You watch it now and its really flat for three hours and once in while the crowd kind of like some of it. It’s not the talents fault. As an example, say the crowd really like Cesaro but the company wants you to like Sheamus so they are going to give you Sheamus until you like him in the same way you like Cesaro. Look at Roman Reigns, the company wants you to accept him, but if you like someone else, no you have to like who the company wants you to like. The fans aren’t getting a show that is catered for them, it’s catered to running with the guys who they want to push.

Justin Roberts spitting that real shit

Hasney

if the fucking belly to bailey can be a finisher

a superplex sure as fuck can be a finisher

shit, a chop is more devastating than a belly to bailey

You need a pun to get a basic move over though. I don't think Bulldog called it anything.

Only reason it was bad is that it had less impact than that running powerslam anyway.

Sephzilla

I'll definitely take the AJ Styles and Sami Zayns of today over the Hogan era wrestling, but yeah, fucking stop destroying the entire point of having finishers. It's just stupid and helps absolutely no one.

I think it's one of the reasons I love Smackdown. They have finishers do their actual job a lot more often, and they'll pin people with non-finishing moves as well (Alexa's DDT in her cage match with Becky, Usos super kick to Jordan for the Tag Championship).

Part of the reason I liked NXT during the Sami Zayn era was because finishers were protected as fuck down there. I'm pretty sure nobody kicked out of the Red Arrow or the Helluva Kick in NXT

Mahonay

Banned
Part of the reason I liked NXT during the Sami Zayn era was because finishers were protected as fuck down there. Kicking out of a finisher was fairly rare.
It was an amazing time.

Now that same writer/booker is in charge of Smackdown.

And BOY has NXT ever dropped in quality since he was moved out of there.

Heroman

Banned
Soon
Shibata+Finish+g1+24+day+1.gif

orioto

Good Art™
So..
If Joe was meant to be TripleH soldier. Why he'snt he helping him with Rollins, rather than help Owens without any reason, even when Owens is not champ anymore so trip has no reason to support him anymore anyway..

Mahonay

Banned
So..
If Joe was meant to be TripleH soldier. Why he'snt he helping him with Rollins, rather than help Owens without any reason, even when Owens is not champ anymore so trip has no reason to support him anymore anyway..
Because the writing on RAW is fucking trash garbage, and everything exists in it's own individual bubble that makes everything feel extra staged and disconnected.

Looks like the Andre the Giant Battle Royal has officially joined the kickoff show, according to WWE.com. Hoping the Alphas and Usos get added to it tonight as well. Also, they still have Wyatt and Orton at the top of the card, which is good. With that all being said, I'd expect the Raw tag title match to go on first to get the crowd going with Enzo. Making it a ladder match would make even more sense to me.

Any predictions for Smackdown tonight? I'd expect AJ/Shane to get changed to a no DQ match, since it's just a regular match as it stands right now. I'd also hope for some sort of clarification on what the women's match is exactly, but not holding my breath.

Kaladin

Looks like the Andre the Giant Battle Royal has officially joined the kickoff show, according to WWE.com. Hoping the Alphas and Usos get added to it tonight as well. Also, they still have Wyatt and Orton at the top of the card, which is good. With that all being said, I'd expect the Raw tag title match to go on first to get the crowd going with Enzo. Making it a ladder match would make even more sense to me.

Any predictions for Smackdown tonight? I'd expect AJ/Shane to get changed to a no DQ match, since it's just a regular match as it stands right now. I'd also hope for some sort of clarification on what the women's match is exactly, but not holding my breath.

Shame the Braun Strowman Invitational Battle Royal of Destruction has been moved to the pre-show.

daemissary

The WWE would be insane not to debut the Hardys as #broken on the Raw After Mania unless their lawyers really think there is an actual legal issue. The entire crowd is full of smarks at that show and they are going to be chanting DELETE.

Of course, this is the WWE so they will fuck it up.

Hasney

The WWE would be insane not to debut the Hardys as #broken on the Raw After Mania unless their lawyers really think there is an actual legal issue. The entire crowd is full of smarks at that show and they are going to be chanting DELETE.

Of course, this is the WWE so they will fuck it up.

They have dates already booked in April. I wouldn't hold your breath.

So Smackdown Tag Titles will not even be defended at Mania right?

Find out tonight, but I'm guessing that it'll be Usos V AA 2 out of 3 falls. Would make the most sense.

Probably be a quick single fall match though so some shitty pop act can sing.

jmdajr

They have dates already booked in April. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Find out tonight, but I'm guessing that it'll be Usos V AA 2 out of 3 falls. Would make the most sense.

Probably be a quick single fall match though so some shitty pop act can sing

for sure

It was an amazing time.

Now that same writer/booker is in charge of Smackdown.

And BOY has NXT ever dropped in quality since he was moved out of there.

Sad, but true. And in a massive way.

With Aleister "Tommy End" Black and bunch of other fresh blood likely to be added to TV after this weekend, I live in hope that they'll be able to turn the corner on the show and get better.

klonere

Banned
Wait, how many Rainmakers did Omega take?

He took like 2 full ones. The others were half measures. The full Rainmaker is the entire ripcord, full arm outstretched into the lairat. It's like how Nakamura had variations of the Boma-Ye but only one was a true killer finisher or Naito needs the full windup on the Destino for it to really put someone away.

Wrestling is cool.

Wait, how many Rainmakers did Omega take?

That was Wrestle Kingdom.

It's their Mania, it's not unexpected to kick out of a finisher once there. wwf's problem is they started doing it on other ppvs, then they started doing it on tv. What makes it special for WK (and what used to for mania) is it not happening the rest of the year.

The increasing fallibility of The Rainmaker is one of Okada's main points of character progression, not to mention one of the running themes of the later stages of his feud with Tanahashi - he's talked multiple times about not knowing what he'll do when The Rainmaker doesn't work any more, and as a result you see him become increasingly more desperate to make the move count. The Suzuki match was a great example of that, he just Rainmakered the crap out of Suzuki and wouldn't let go until he got the job done. But eventually someone will survive regardless, and then Okada will have to come up with something new (although a few years ago he did mention another move he has in reserve that we've yet to see).

jmdajr

Kicking out of finisher isn't a bad thing, it the reason why they exist. WWE just does kick outs of finisher to much

I was legit shook when HBK kicked out of the tombstone. At least until that point, I only believed Hogan and Warrior were capable of that bullshit on a consistent basis. Well, maybe Cena. But the list was small.

Sephzilla

Kicking out of finishers is absolutely fine when the match/story warrants it. But WWE thinks that's the only way to make a match "epic".

I was legit shook when HBK kicked out of the tombstone. At least until that point, I only believed Hogan and Warrior were capable of that bullshit on a consistent basis. Well, maybe Cena. But the list was small.

Yeah HBK kicking out of the Tombstone complete with the gimmick pin at WM25 felt like an unreal moment. JR's "I just had an out of body experience" call was the perfect descriptor of that moment

I honestly miss old 80s and 90s style wrestling. Yeah, it was slower and to some it might be more boring, but to me it felt like that style still carried enough suspension of disbelief in order to pass off professional wrestling as a sport (which from a presentation standpoint, is what it was meant to be). Sure, you still had your bullshit like Hogan hulking up or Undertaker no selling chair shots. But you didn't see finishing moves used as goddamn transition spots like you see today.

I'll definitely take the AJ Styles and Sami Zayns of today over the Hogan era wrestling, but yeah, fucking stop destroying the entire point of having finishers. It's just stupid and helps absolutely no one.

I think it's one of the reasons I love Smackdown. They have finishers do their actual job a lot more often, and they'll pin people with non-finishing moves as well (Alexa's DDT in her cage match with Becky, Usos super kick to Jordan for the Tag Championship).

Both of these are my current feelings on things. I loved 80s/90s because it tried to come across like a sport (which is why I like NJPW), but the golden era is also pretty shit and I much prefer the more advanced move sets.

daemissary

All I'm saying is that the WWE has like 40 things wrong with it and kicking out of too many finishers might be 39th on that list.

Top Bottom