• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

While the matches were pretty bad, the Kane and Undertaker feud of the late 90's was awesome. Kane's amazing debut, Taker trapped in the coffin set on fire only for him to not be in there when it opened, Taker's refusal to fight his own brother over and over again until he finally had to do it.

The video package they did just before the mania taker/kane match in 98 is also the best video package wwf has ever done.

The Micheals/Austin video afterwards was pretty damn good too.

Sephzilla

While the matches were pretty bad, the Kane and Undertaker feud of the late 90's was awesome. Kane's amazing debut, Taker trapped in the coffin set on fire only for him to not be in there when it opened, Taker's refusal to fight his own brother over and over again until he finally had to do it.

Yep, the storyline stuff for Kane/Taker was pretty solid. Taker finally having enough and calling out Kane was A+

Zach

yXI7kEF.png

Upon the examination of the galaxies of space, images begin to appear -- images of strange and powerful forces. But of all the forces in the universe, the two most powerful -- Zach Hogan! And the Ultimate Menome! -- prepare to explode!

Filth Champion versus Purity Champion. Nickname versus no nickname.

It's the ULTIMATE CHALLENGE!! IT'S GWF THREEEEEEEE!!!

Kaladin

I don't think Undertaker has ever topped the Undertaker / Mankind feud. They both saved their careers and they were the best thing on the screen at a time when everything else was stuck in New Generation.

I'll never forget an episode where they did a battle royal on Raw and Undertaker and Mankind had their own brawl throughout the entire building through it.

jmdajr

The New Generation era and the transition into the Attitude Era also is when the entire rise of Mankind happened and you get to witness Undertaker and Mick Foley simultaneously saving each other's careers, plus at the tail end you see Kane debut.

95-98 is probably the best chunk of storylines Undertaker ever got in his career

Wasn't that amazing? Just thinking about it make me go... wow.

The New Generation era and the transition into the Attitude Era also is when the entire rise of Mankind happened and you get to witness Undertaker and Mick Foley simultaneously saving each other's careers, plus at the tail end you see Kane debut.

95-98 is probably the best chunk of storylines Undertaker ever got in his career

I may be speaking out of turn since I missed mid 00's Taker, but he absolutely peaked with The Ministry

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It makes me laugh the last time WWE actually tried was when WrestleMania was going to make or break them because it was the first one on the Network and it literally had to be good or they'd go out of business.

Sephzilla

I may be speaking out of turn since I missed mid 00's Taker, but he absolutely peaked with The Ministry

Supervillain Ministry Taker is pretty great too. I think I just prefer the Taker/Mankind and Taker/Kane stuff. Seeing Taker, a character who was basically OP compared to the rest of the roster in kayfabe, go up against someone who could actually tank all of Taker's damage output and come back for more was something that wasn't really seen before. And then seeing Kane shows up and made Taker look human by comparison

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
nothing about mania looks appealing

Big Evil was the only time I bought into Taker as a legit threat. Before that he was just the goth servant of Vince or Paul Bearer or Jake

jmdajr

WWE would be an excellent case study in extracting maximum possible value from a dwindling, yet dedicated, audience base

wmgates1.png

In my mind I just think. Hey, it's just 10 bucks a month.
Or I think Hey, this live PPV event is just 200 bucks, but I get to hang out with friends.

So in reality, I am spending more than ever before as an adult geek.

Hell I watched RAW in the dorm because cable was included free, and went to a sports bar for the ppv. And all I had to do was order food.

Outside of going to the Movies and NFL stuff, WWE probbaly takes most of my HOBBY money.
I stopped buying games, music, anime, comics, just...everything. I don't really buy anything anymore, but somehow...Vince gets my money.

Sephzilla

nothing about mania looks appealing

Big Evil was the only time I bought into Taker as a legit threat. Before that he was just the goth servant of Vince or Paul Bearer or Jake

I like American Badass/Big Evil Undertaker but something about it felt... off? Like there was no kayfabe reason why Taker went from having super powers to being a biker, and it felt extra weird considering Kane was still doing crazy superpower shit at the time.

Ronin Ray

I have started watching lucha underground on Netflix and yeah it's really good. It has the right amount cheesiness, coolness and good wrestling. It's very refreshing to watch

Hex

Banned
I think one of the things I have grown to like more about various Lucha feds and NJPW as well as many indys is that they do not take themselves seriously.
They embrace the larger than life thing, whether it is the super hero vs super villain thing or getting the high spots in, to dialogue during the matches and out of the matches.
WWE insists on trying to pretend that they are something that they are not, and that their shit doesn't stink.
WWE I think was at its best back in the day when it also embraced those things.

Kaladin

I have started watching lucha underground on Netflix and yeah it's really good. It has the right amount cheesiness, coolness and good wrestling. It's very refreshing to watch

It's also good that you don't have to wait for the show to get good. There are some duds early on before it gets hot, but the Pentagon vs Fenix main event, or anything involving Fenix is good shit. Then once you get around Aztec Warfare, shit really gets hot.

Mahonay

Banned
yXI7kEF.png

Upon the examination of the galaxies of space, images begin to appear -- images of strange and powerful forces. But of all the forces in the universe, the two most powerful -- Zach Hogan! And the Ultimate Menome! -- prepare to explode!

Filth Champion versus Purity Champion. Nickname versus no nickname.

It's the ULTIMATE CHALLENGE!! IT'S GWF THREEEEEEEE!!!

THE GWF COMMUNITY?!
I love you idiots.

Zach

Foley is seriously the stealth MVP of the later New Generation and Attitude Era. So many memorable moments of that time period involve Foley in some way

Foley is right up there with Austin, in my opinion. His Attitude Era contributions were tremendous.

Zach

Also, Sephzillo, I'm retiring from MS Paint. I will never be able to top that last post. It was the Mick Foley of MS Paint contributions.

Sephzilla

Also, Sephzillo, I'm retiring from MS Paint. I will never be able to top that last post. It was the Mick Foley of MS Paint contributions.

You can't retire! I need you for the GWF poster greatness.

Someone from IT uninstalled paint from your machine, didn't they?

RkOwnage

I was legit shook when HBK kicked out of the tombstone. At least until that point, I only believed Hogan and Warrior were capable of that bullshit on a consistent basis. Well, maybe Cena. But the list was small.

Yeah this blew my mind too, but for whatever reason the first person I remember kicking out of finishers consistently was Kurt Angle. I think I remember he started kicking out of them on a regular PPV basis, and then everyone else started following along.

...also I never post here, I just lurk, but my friend and I were just talking about this yesterday so I felt the need to respond, lol.

Sephzilla

Yeah this blew my mind too, but for whatever reason the first person I remember kicking out of finishers consistently was Kurt Angle. I think I remember he started kicking out of them on a regular PPV basis, and then everyone else started following along.

...also I never post here, I just lurk, but my friend and I were just talking about this yesterday so I felt the need to respond, lol.

Welcome, friend!

*Offers handshake*

Zach

He probably started kicking out in response to the 5000 times people had kicked out of the Angle Slam.

And hit us with a Fave Five.

miserable

which was worse, Lesnar and Roman tugging on the belt or Oldberg doing a shit takedown (called spear by Cole) on Lesnar after a boring Heyman promo?

Top Bottom