• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Caderfix

I don't think HHH is like that. He's probably doing what any higher up does for their company, defending the vision they're going for, whether or not he agrees with it.

Every entrance looks better in the dark thanks to the lightning work. Wrestling events should be in close venues so you can lower the lights. Because I said so!

I still need to see how I'm adjusting my sleep schedule to see everything live. I don't know if napping is enough to be up until 5 am!

Yeah lighting in wrestling is key

Naomi's entrance at Mania is ruined now because she's on the pre-show

IMAGINE Sting's entrance in total darkness

Kaladin

HHH sticking to the company line of "any reaction is a good reaction we don't care if they're actually booing our shitty writing" makes me feel like WWE will never get out of the creative shithole it's in now.

This is basically HHH straight up saying that WWE doesn't care if you think their writing is shit.

I actually think that reaction is the company still reacting to the Daniel Bryan stuff where they were forced to listen to the crowd at WM30 and the crowd continuously shitted on how Bryan was used after including turning on Batista and Rey at different points.

I feel like it's them saying the Daniel Bryan situation won't happen again.

Sephzilla

The indies had dried up, that's why we spent the next 5 years signing every notable indie name we could get our hands on.

Yeah that line caught me by surprise too. Most of the talent that contributed to NXT's rise in popularity were indie stars that WWE scooped up. Meanwhile the home grown performance center talents haven't been paying off nearly as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
HHH sticking to the company line of "any reaction is a good reaction we don't care if they're actually booing our shitty writing" makes me feel like WWE will never get out of the creative shithole it's in now.

This is basically HHH straight up saying that WWE doesn't care if you think their writing is shit.

I mean, its a stupid comment, but its not exactly fair to say HHH necessarily believes that. It really IS the company line. He's not going to come out and say "Vince is fucking up the booking."

Sephzilla

I mean, its a stupid comment, but its not exactly fair to say HHH necessarily believes that. It really IS the company line. He's not going to come out and say "vince is fucking up the booking."

You might be right but from what I remember HHH in the past has said that he wouldn't book main roster WWE like he booked NXT. Granted I guess that's also him basically trying to not cross Vince

ReiGun

I don't think HHH is like that. He's probably doing what any higher up does for their company, defending the vision their going for, whether or not he agrees with it.
It's all PR speak. You can't go out and be like, "LOL yeah we suck, breh." You have to show a strong face while adjusting things behind the scenes.

The problem is it often feels like WWE is forgetting the latter part.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You might be right but from what I remember HHH in the past has said that he wouldn't book main roster WWE like he booked NXT. Granted I guess that's also him basically trying to not cross Vince

I actually think Roman really will go heel anyways. I don't think they're going to give him an Owens or Rollins type run, but I think they're going to dip their toes in with the "cool heel" thing for a few months. It's not really different than what they're doing now, of course.

Sephzilla

I actually think Roman really will go heel anyways. I don't think they're going to give him an Owens or Rollins type run, but I think they're going to dip their toes in with the "cool heel" thing for a few months. It's not really different than what they're doing now, of course.

I think Roman's going to beat Undertaker clean as fuck and Taker is going to shake his hand in the middle of the ring.

Yes, I believe Vince is that stubborn about making face Roman happen.

WWE nees to just adapt to how smart their audience is these days.

Peoplw will cheer whoever is actually entertaining. Could be workrate like Cesaro, could be funny like JerichOwens. Could be a mix of everything like AJ. Could be irritating and obnoxious but still with a hint of truth like Miz. Whatever.

A 1 dimensional "character" who wants to prove he is better than a beloved legend for threadbare reasons. Not so much.

It just is what it is.

Building up a monster to then put the chosen won over, predictably, for better or worse, probably wont work for the vast majority of the audience unless they actually buy into the character because they are interesting and entertaining.

Kaladin

I think Roman's going to beat Undertaker clean as fuck and Taker is going to shake his hand in the middle of the ring.

Yes, I believe Vince is that stubborn about making face Roman happen.

Nah, Undertaker won't shake his hand. There will be some mystic shit and he'll disappear from the ring, only to re-appear on the tron and announce that he can finally rest in peace or some shit before floating off into the sky from the tron.

Nothing he said had anything to do with writing, though! The things he says are just as shitty, mean-spirited, cynical, and full of '80s insults as anything any top babyface says, because that's the part Vince is too involved in.

Really though, if "any reaction is a good reaction" is something we've known for years is how they measure things, why can't people stop giving Roman the largest noise of the night every time he appears? If they're fucking up the booking and writing of a character or storyline, normally we're very quiet when they're around.

(My opinion on literally everyone on the Internet complaining about Reigns constantly: he's your most hated heel, and you can't accept you're this invested in him yet.)

kiguel182

HHH with the same company lines as ever. At least he isn't pretending the internet is some niche thing. That's a plus I guess.

But he is right when it comes to tickets selling. If tickets sell then who cares if the product is good or who is the champ? They have the monopoly on American mainstream wrestling so they can put whoever at the top and people will go.

WWE is all about the brand now (Cena and Lesnar excluded), the talent is secondary. If Reigns left there would be no impact, same for anyone else really. The wheel keeps spinning.

I just want a better product. I still enjoy what's there but well, you can always do better. I wish they taught more about that than trying to justify their choices for top guy.

EDIT: Lol at this dude above me saying "everyone on the internet". Everyone is on the internet! This isn't 98. Hilarious.

Sephzilla

Nothing he said had anything to do with writing, though! The things he says are just as shitty, mean-spirited, cynical, and full of '80s insults as anything any top babyface says, because that's the part Vince is too involved in.

Really though, if "any reaction is a good reaction" is something we've known for years is how they measure things, why can't people stop giving Roman the largest noise of the night every time he appears? If they're fucking up the booking and writing of a character or storyline, normally we're very quiet when they're around.

(My opinion on literally everyone on the Internet complaining about Reigns constantly: he's your most hated heel, and you can't accept you're this invested in him yet.)

Because it's been proven that booing the shit out of one superstar and cheering the shit out of a different one can actually make a difference.

Plus, lets be serious. The "any reaction is a good reaction" mentality is them just justifying constantly pushing Roman even though he's getting booed. If Roman was coming out to silence, the narrative would shift to "at least he's not getting booed"

Caderfix

To show they are displeased, not indifferent. Also, I have a feeling that if 70% of the crowd was silent and 30% was cheering, they'd just say no one dislikes what they're doing with him.

Striker

I think a lot of higher ups in WWE are actually blind to the reality of whats going on.

Looking at Road Dogg and HHH comments on Reigns speaks to this in my opinion. Just total delusion.

WWE is a strange and very insular entity.
"Wins and losses don't matter" Road Dogg said, and he also said Triple H is the greatest wrestler ever. He totes the same opinions Hunner does.

I think people actually think "fuck off and go away. Stop being inserted into shit we actually care about" though. It is kind of the opposite of being invested in Reigns.

Like the end of this years Rumble. It is less "here this guy we hate" and more "oh for fuck sake, go away"

WWE nees to just adapt to how smart their audience is these days.

Peoplw will cheer whoever is actually entertaining. Could be workrate like Cesaro, could be funny like JerichOwens. Could be a mix of everything like AJ. Could be irritating and obnoxious but still with a hint of truth like Miz. Whatever.
That's literally what HHH just said.

Zach

You guys are seriously spitting in the wind with WWE. Just accept that they are making money and don't care and will do whatever they feel like. As long as Kaladin buys the T-shirts, they good.

Mahonay

Banned

giphy.gif

I think people actually think "fuck off and go away. Stop being inserted into shit we actually care about" though. It is kind of the opposite of being invested in Reigns.

Like the end of this years Rumble. It is less "here this guy we hate" and more "oh for fuck sake, go away"
Have you considered "oh for fucks sake, go away" was part of the intended reaction, considering this was his second match that night and he showed up at the perfect-for-heels 30 spot in the event for which he's most notorious?

If you have a reaction at all and you're here talking in a pro wrestling thread on the Internet about WWE, they haven't turned you away yet. He's your heel. We're not supposed to like everyone, and they're going to make us get more pissed about heels, no matter who any of us consider the heels, because that's wrestling.

Foggy

It's one thing if HHH communicates their laissez-faire approach to Roman's divisiveness. For them it's not having a deleterious effect, at least not as far as they're concerned. But painting it as some kind of deliberately subversive version of 4d chess booking is laughable.

Caderfix

You guys are seriously spitting in the wind with WWE. Just accept that they are making money and don't care and will do whatever they feel like. As long as Kaladin buys the T-shirts, they good.

We're all aware of your never ending chronological adventures for 9.99 a month, Zach. YOU and Kaladin are to blame.

Sephzilla

Have you considered "oh for fucks sake, go away" was part of the intended reaction, considering this was his second match that night and he showed up at the perfect-for-heels 30 spot in the event for which he's most notorious?

If you have a reaction at all and you're here talking in a pro wrestling thread on the Internet about WWE, they haven't turned you away yet. He's your heel.

But he's not booked like a heel.

kiguel182

Wins and loses don't matter has to be the stupidest part of this guy's speech. I can't believe anyone actually things that honestly.

It's one thing if HHH communicates their laissez-faire approach to Roman's divisiveness. For them it's not having a deleterious effect, at least not as far as they're concerned. But painting it as some kind of deliberately subversive version of 4d chess booking is laughable.
You guys keep trying to make it seem complicated. He really spells it out in a paragraph. It's not 4D chess. It's "fans are long over-exposed and knowledgeable to the heel vs face dynamic, so why not go somewhere new," and that somewhere new for the last decade has been sports fandom-like mixed reactions for controversial characters. People pick their teams, they don't buy into what the company says (despite what any of you want to believe about casual fans... they know this shit is fake too, guys).

#TeamRoman

Foggy

Somehow this subversive meta heel booking only applies to Roman, but nobody else on the roster or in the history of the company. Crazy, huh.

If you have a reaction at all and you're here talking in a pro wrestling thread on the Internet about WWE, they haven't turned you away yet. He's your heel. We're not supposed to like everyone, and they're going to make us get more pissed about heels, no matter who any of us consider the heels, because that's wrestling.

This is what was supposed to happen over the years. Lesnar beat Undertaker finishing the streak for massive heat. Lesnar then kills Daniel Bryan for massive heat. Reigns then finally kills Lesnar to save the day. That is the investment they put into Reigns. People got injured and it didnt work out but thats it.

They ended Takers streak for the guy. A couple years later I honestly doubt they are intentionaly booking him to get X Pac heat.

Based on WWE's video packages this week, AJ/Shane is the #3 match on the card 😑😑😑
Does it matter? He's on the big show with the big draw. He could still be down in Nashville missing paychecks.

And why in the fuck are you thinking the video package confirms anything?

Damnit, the cte is fucking you up.

Who wants to retire dm for me?

Sephzilla

The reality is they're going to keep pushing Roman as the babyface hero regardless of the reaction he gets because Vince McMahon desperately wants to make Roman happen and he needs his Cena replacement. If Roman is getting booed at every major event, the narrative will be "Roman is getting a reaction, that's good". If he came out to Corpus Christie level silence with only a few faint cheers here and there, the narrative would shift over to "Roman isn't getting booed, that's all that matters". This is basically what they used to justify Randy Orton's existence for a while.

jmdajr

Current WWE is no different than current Super Hero movies in the sense that, they just have to play it safe and keep making money. Sure here and there you get a Logan or Dark Knight, but sometimes, a lot of times, you have to deal with Thor2 and Suicide squad.

I know someone will say, I'd rather watch Thor2.

Well go right ahead. In the end, no one is forcing us to watch any of this. The finances keep working for WWE in the end. At least for now.

So once Disney buys WWE, the circle will be complete.

kiguel182

You can't act like people are the ones that choose who is a heel when the company obviously has their own faces and heels.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

"He is a heel because the fans hate him! But everything about our brand is made to make him look good!"

The idea that a frustrated audience is a good one is ridiculous. I mean, Raw is a tv show and we have seen this happen with TV shows and guess what? People just leave if the show doesn't give them what they want.

In this case they have nowhere to leave so WWE gets to do what they want. But this whole "he is actually a heel" is dumb. Just admit you don't care.

Anth0ny

i think my problem is still the go away heat

reigns is go away heat

steph is go away heat

the back stage robot interviewers are go away heat that make me cringe every time

same for the commentary

usos, miz, owens are great heels. I actually don't like them and if I was at a show I'd boo them. AJ, on the other hand, "plays" a heel but it's no surprise at all that he gets the loudest reaction on the show every night. Same with Bray and many other so called heels.

the problem with reigns isn't that he's a face or a heel. the problem with reigns isn't that he got in the way of bryan's title. his problem is that he's overpushed, untalented and scripted like a generic whitebread babyface that comes off forced as fuck. it's not that hard to understand.

Somehow this subversive meta heel booking only applies to Roman, but nobody else on the roster or in the history of the company. Crazy, huh.
It's applied to Cena for a decade. Everyone still has a mega-strong opinion on the guy.

The wrestling business changed after Austin and the Rock, and we've seen Vince try to recreate them with Cena and Roman. But what Cena and Roman bring that's more valuable is their intense split reactions. It's like going to see sports rivals. Everyone has their team, and they aren't budging.

Top Bottom