• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Foggy

This guy came out and ruined Rusev's wedding reenactment and intimidated Lana was a slut and put a cake in her face for no reason. Dude's been a heel for a year.

Did you guys think he was meant to be the entertaining one in the feud vs Owens and Jericho?

Yes the heel where the production truck lowers the audience noise on his entrances and recuts recaps to make the crowd look sympathetic to him. Give it up.

Zach

We're all aware of your never ending chronological adventures for 9.99 a month, Zach. YOU and Kaladin are to blame.

I just admitted like two posts ago that #Iamtheproblem.

But I'm also at peace with not caring about anything at all. Shane McMahon wins? Cool. Romando wins and they pretend like the fans are going wild for it? Great. Stephanie McMahon and JBL headline for the Undisputed Championship. Faaantastic.

Also, I have a sickness and you should apologize.

Mahonay

Banned
I should form a stable in GWF : The Mark Side....either you're a mark like us, or in denial. Everyone is a mark.
giphy.gif

Sephzilla

Current WWE is no different than current Super Hero movies in the sense that, they just have to play it safe and keep making money. Sure here and there you get a Logan or Dark Knight, but sometimes, a lot of times, you have to deal with Thor2 and Suicide squad.

I know someone will say, I'd rather watch Thor2.

Well go right ahead. In the end, no one is forcing us to watch any of this. The finances keep working for WWE in the end. At least for now.

So once Disney buys WWE, the circle will be complete.

Marvel at least knows how to properly book a good face character, though.

He-Also-Very-Cute-Uniform.gif

Yes the heel where the production truck lowers the audience noise on his entrances and recuts recaps to make the crowd look sympathetic to him. Give it up.
It's Austin vs. McMahon, but the crowd is in Austin's role

Brilliant way to bring back the Attitude Era, this is wrestling

He's your heel. Doesn't mean he is to kids and women. The demographics have expanded far beyond what they were in 1999, man.

"Casuals like faces and hardcores like heels" is dated. Anyone watching NXT or Raw knows this, why do you guys keep propping it up as universal truth in 2017? Insane split reactions for the top stars are what wrestlers want, Kevin Owens says so himself on the Austin podcast two weeks ago. This reaction is where you'll find your new Rocks and Austins.

Zach

This guy came out and ruined Rusev's wedding reenactment and intimidated Lana was a slut and put a cake in her face for no reason. Dude's been a heel for a year.

So... was Hogan supposed to be a heel in the '80s? Because he was always doing dick moves then. I think you're in too deep, Liu Kang Baking A Pie.

Sephzilla

So... was Hogan supposed to be a heel in the '80s? Because he was always doing dick moves then. I think you're in too deep, Liu Kang Baking A Pie.

Hogan was booked as the face of the WrestleMania 8 feud with Sid Vicious, a feud that started because Hulk Hogan was a salty bitch about being eliminated from the Royal Rumble and interfered in the match to get Sid eliminated

Hogan was also the face of the Macho Man feud because Macho Man had the gall to call out Hogan being a spotlight hog

Foggy

He's your heel. Doesn't mean he is to kids and women. The demographics have expanded far beyond what they were in 1999, man.

"Casuals like faces and hardcores like heels" is dated. Anyone watching NXT or Raw knows this, why do you guys keep propping it up as universal truth in 2017?

He's not my heel. I don't care about him.

They're pissing in everyone's face and you're saying it's rain. Nobody's buying your schtick.

Vince has always booked in this weird vindictive way where he thinks we all like seeing faces get justice by doing that shit, when honestly most of us are just looking for Good Boys to get invested in.

Hogan wrestles like an asshole because he's being an asshole to the heel being an asshole to him for months.

He's not my heel. I don't care about him.

They're pissing in everyone's face and you're saying it's rain. Nobody's buying your schtick.
If you didn't care, you'd talk about him like all of us talk about Ziggler and Crews: not at all.

I can't step in this damn thread without Roman constantly being the topic, discussed endlessly by boys who swear they don't care about him.

Mahonay

Banned

"Casuals like faces and hardcores like heels" is dated. Anyone watching NXT or Raw knows this, why do you guys keep propping it up as universal truth in 2017?
"You guys, it all makes sense because Roman is a heel"

"Also he's a face. Demographics?"

7be2f3f9e7cec7debdd2cee45f224b17_-young-know-your-meme-black-guy-question-mark-meme_600-512.jpeg

There's some merit to the argument of alternative heels existing these days (Eva Marie and The Drifter leap to mind). With Roman though, it's like only half there, he's got one foot dipping slightly into the pool of smug heel like mannerisms and another much deeper in the overcoming the odds cheer me superface.

The problem with this whole thing is a heel is someone people pay to see get beaten. A heel isnt just there to anger people wether it is go away heat or not. You want to see the person gets beaten by the face.

It makes no sense to split youre audience on who is the heel and who is the face. It is self defeating and stupid.

There's some merit to the argument of alternative heels existing these days (Eva Marie and The Drifter leap to mind).
Yes!

We've been waiting so long for WWE to get self-aware and start booking to our reactions, and since they started actually doing it, the people who think they're too smart for wrestling are seemingly eating it up. It's like watching us devolve into the embarrassing way casuals react to heels on Instagram, thinking we're above the thing we're doing as we constantly talk about how much we hate these darn heels we keep watching.

I just admitted like two posts ago that #Iamtheproblem.

But I'm also at peace with not caring about anything at all. Shane McMahon wins? Cool. Romando wins and they pretend like the fans are going wild for it? Great. Stephanie McMahon and JBL headline for the Undisputed Championship. Faaantastic.

Also, I have a sickness and you should apologize.
Diagnosis: Mark

Zach

I agree. The alternative heel thing has merit. Whether or not it was intentional is up for discussion, but it's a good excuse for what they do and I see some logic in it.

But it seems like easy mode. To me, it's just admitting "our wrasslers aren't good enough and/or we're not smart enough to make everyone cheer faces and boo heels."

Have you announced the date yet?!

imBask

Banned
Wrestling is really not this complicated. Christ.

it's incredibly simple but many marks in this thread are looking at it way too closely and I understand why/how

The REALITY though is that Wrestling has the simplest, dumbest scripts on TV, and that includes actual kids show

The problem with this whole thing is a heel is someone people pay to see get beaten. A heel isnt just there to anger people wether it is go away heat or not. You want to see the person gets beaten by the face.

It makes no sense to split youre audience on who is the heel and who is the face. It is self defeating and stupid.
Dude, do you really think people aren't fucking psyched to see Roman getting beaten any time the possibility is there? People even loved Sheamus doing it.

Finishers and finishes only matter to us when they're protected. When Super Cena and Super Roman are rarely beaten, and you fucking hate them, you're there when Owens, Styles, Jericho, Zayn, Balor, Joe, etc. are the challenge. We see it every month as the same people who say they'll stop watching are still here talking Roman.

Did you guys think they booked Joe vs Roman on Joe's first Raw because Joe would be the heel to hardcore fans?

klonere

Banned
Dragon Gate is complicated

But it is also simple.

I like Dragon Gate

I also hope Mania is over soon so this thread can stop inducing headaches :(

Foggy

We all need our reason to reinforce our sense of pride and superior perspectives above others, but choosing WWE booking is a weird place to do that.

imBask

Banned
We all need our reason to reinforce our sense of pride and superior perspectives above others, but choosing WWE booking is a weird place to do that.

is it any worse than the gaming review threads though? those actually make me depressed

Kaladin

If you got the e-mail with free months to the Network and used it to re-subscribe to watch Wrestlemania, you're a mark.

#EmbraceTheMark

#JoinTheMarkSide

"You guys, it all makes sense because Roman is a heel"

"Also he's a face. Demographics?"

7be2f3f9e7cec7debdd2cee45f224b17_-young-know-your-meme-black-guy-question-mark-meme_600-512.jpeg
The New England Patriots cheated in the Super Bowl. They won. People hate them. Do you think Patriots fans overwhelmingly bailed their team after this scandal, or do you think they just dug in and really got into the feuding with other teams' fans?

Pro wrestling is now like sports rivalries, not Disney face vs heel dynamics. The Disney dynamics are there for kids and casuals to understand and for us to have a framework of expectation, but those silly storylines aren't going to sustain our interest. What sustains our interest are Big Matches where everyone picks their side and has the some of the most fun they've ever had in wrestling for 20 minutes as we each pull for Our Guy.

Top Bottom