• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Mahonay

Banned
Then why do you watch WWE?

It's trash. I don't watch TV wrestling. I watch PPV events only. I'm an addict.

We are all addicts.

Addicts.
I'm absolutely an addict to ridiculous dumb shit like wrestling.

The last thing you'll find me doing is trying to pretend WWE is anything more than garbage entertainment, that has it's moments here and there.

Caderfix

I just admitted like two posts ago that #Iamtheproblem.

But I'm also at peace with not caring about anything at all. Shane McMahon wins? Cool. Romando wins and they pretend like the fans are going wild for it? Great. Stephanie McMahon and JBL headline for the Undisputed Championship. Faaantastic.

Also, I have a sickness and you should apologize.

This is too much, Zach. I can understand and respect a lot of things, but you along with Kaladin single handedly ruined the WWE and all for what? To get back at them for WcW's fate?

I'll not only not apologize, I'll also never forgive you... AND Kaladin.

klonere

Banned
I like to think I'm better than everybody because I watch Japanese men with no regard for their health or wellbeing take unnecessary risks in front of ~1000 or less people for very little monetary gain.

Recall

The last thing you'll find me doing is trying to pretend WWE is anything more than garbage entertainment, that has it's moments here and there.

It used to be better. That's why we linger. We know it can be great again and the hope of it one day returning to form is what drives the discussion forward.

Kaladin

This is too much, Zach. I can understand and respect a lot of things, but you along with Kaladin single handedly ruined the WWE and all for what? To get back at them for WcW's fate?

I'll not only not apologize, I'll also never forgive you... AND Kaladin.

You're a mark too and you know it. #OneOfUs

Mahonay

Banned
The New England Patriots cheated in the Super Bowl. They won. People hate them. Do you think Patriots fans overwhelmingly bailed their team after this scandal, or do you think they just dug in and really got into the feuding with other teams' fans?

Pro wrestling is now like sports rivalries, not Disney face vs heel dynamics. The Disney dynamics are there for kids and casuals to understand and for us to have a framework of expectation, but those silly storylines aren't going to sustain our interest. What sustains our interest are Big Matches where everyone picks their side and has the some of the most fun they've ever had in wrestling for 20 minutes as we each pull for Our Guy.
giphy.gif

Recall

I like to think I'm better than everybody because I watch Japanese men with no regard for their health or wellbeing take unnecessary risks in front of ~1000 or less people for very little monetary gain.

I just watched Stan Hansen lose in front of 53,000 people to a sudden Kobashi small package. I'm cool too.

Match was fun by the way.

Zach

Do you think Patriots fans overwhelmingly bailed their team after this scandal, or do you think they just dug in and really got into the feuding with other teams' fans?

Pro wrestling is now like sports rivalries, not Disney face vs heel dynamics.

How do you think this is true? Again, you have some interesting thoughts there, Liu Kang Baking A Pie, but you're also a madman. People generally are lifelong fans of sports teams. People change from liking/disliking wrasslers all the time, for various reasons.

I'm just not following and don't care anymore. Love you, bye.

jmdajr

It's ok to like dumb things. We all need to unwind. I can't explain why this works for me but it always has. As far as TV goes, it has been the one thing I have never given up on.

Thanks Cena

I swear, the Miz is gold for them. Dude has had the best stuff hands down over the past 6 months.
People can talk all the shit about the guy they want, but he is doing great stuff now.

Recall

It must never forgotten that even during the periods of WWE so many of us love that there were always people complaining that it was no longer good.

To some WWE went to shit the moment Hogan arrived. To others WWE went to shit the moment Austin turned heel.

There has never been a single moment ever where every wrestling fan admitted what they were watching was good. They always wanted better.

ReiGun

WWE isn't that deep to me. I watch it because it's dumb brain candy I can use to decompress after a day spent stressing about bills or what have you. I don't even care that it's not great a lot of the time because it's fun coming into this thread and ripping on the show with y'all.

Dude, do you really think people aren't fucking psyched to see Roman getting beaten any time the possibility is there? People even loved Sheamus doing it.

Finishers and finishes only matter to us when they're protected. When Super Cena and Super Roman are rarely beaten, and you fucking hate them, you're there when Owens, Styles, Jericho, Zayn, Balor, Joe, etc. are the challenge. We see it every month as the same people who say they'll stop watching are still here talking Roman.

Did you guys think they booked Joe vs Roman on Joe's first Raw because Joe would be the heel to hardcore fans?

Look at Reings win loss record on the profight db thing. I dont think people will pay to see Reigns get beaten. I think people will pay to see guys they like win. They just want Reigns (or the way he is booked) to go away. It isnt the same thing because as we have seen, it is very unlikely Reigns will lose or that things will be satisfying for the "hardcore" audience.

But whatever. If this was such smart booking the network would be growing and ratings wouldnt be eroding year after year.

It must never forgotten that even during the periods of WWE so many of us love that there were always people complaining that it was no longer good.

To some WWE went to shit the moment Hogan arrived. To others WWE went to shit the moment Austin turned heel.

There has never been a single moment ever where every wrestling fan admitted what they were watching was good. They always wanted better.
Oh yeah. I remember people complaining about The Rock nonstop when he was on top. Anyone talking about the Rock's prime now acts like we all loved him, but his repetitive catchphrases, moves of doom, and unapologetic promo burials were a serious thing with the '90s IWC.

Kaladin

WWE isn't deeper than Saturday Night Live. At it's best it's a good variety show centered around wrestling. That's all it needs to be. Bring the comedy, bring the action, bring some drama, bring the heat. Wrestling is SNL with a ring.

jmdajr

I have a co-woker who quit when NWO took over.

He basically told me. "I couldn't stand it. Bad guys winning week after week. It was horrible."

Zach

Shut up, Recall. WWF/E has never been good. Some months/years/eras have had more great segments/matches than others, but overall, it's always trash and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Unlike us WCW fans. What a fine wine WCW is! Three cheers for WCW! Hip hip...!

jmdajr

Oh yeah. I remember people complaining about The Rock nonstop when he was on top. Anyone talking about the Rock's prime now acts like we all loved him, but his repetitive catchphrases, moves of doom, and unapologetic promo burials were a serious thing with the '90s IWC.

I remember HHH having smark fans. Those were the days.

But we sent him a gift basket so it's cool now.

Menome

Well, there's a tag for Klonere if ever I saw one.

Might help OwensIsBlind in telling us apart too.

Look at Reings win loss record on the profight db thing. I dont think people will pay to see Reigns get beaten. I think people will pay to see guys they like win. They just want Reigns (or the way he is booked) to go away. It isnt the same thing because as we have seen, it is very unlikely Reigns will lose or that things will be satisfying for the "hardcore" audience.
People were very into his feud with AJ last year. We wanted to see AJ win. It's the same thing that happens whenever someone gets into a feud with Cena. It's coincidentally somehow nearly always guys anyone who hates Cena would love, battling an obstacle they talk about few overcoming. Weird!

But whatever. If this was such smart booking the network would be growing and ratings wouldnt be eroding year after year.
No one said it's smart booking, which is why it's all the funnier it's so hard for some to understand. Like people think they're immune to works now, but they'll still believe the legends about how much Andre drank or how otherworldly strong he was.

You have people like Cena, Reigns, Triple H, Owens, Austin, etc all talking about how the mixed reactions are part of the work, explicitly telling you how wrestling is working, and everyone's like "nah, you just suck at making wrestling good. But I still watch and talk about you all the time."

Recall

Shut up, Recall. WWF/E has never been good. Some months/years/eras have had more great segments/matches than others, but overall, it's always trash and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Unlike us WCW fans. What a fine wine WCW is! Three cheers for WCW! Hip hip...!

WCW was trash, that's why they died. The NWO did its job and killed WCW...with a lethal dose of poison.

Zach

Anyone talking about the Rock's prime now acts like we all loved him, but his repetitive catchphrases, moves of doom, and unapologetic promo burials were a serious thing with the '90s IWC.

I didn't and don't love him. He was pretty good sometimes. His repetitive catchphrases, dated, sometimes hateful promos, and oftentimes crummy wrestling always turned me off. But I guess I'm not included in "anyone" in this hypo. Conveniently.

Bronx-Man

Banned
WWE will never be able to find a massive generation-defining face that can get entire arenas chanting for them! Fans don't do that anymore!

Oh wait a minute

15802448_120634708440686_3457399878156550144_n.jpg

SEj3OoR.gif

Top Bottom