• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

klonere

Banned

But it's kind of clear that the company is extra careful in designing his matches to get the most crowd pops as possible. Through various things breaking, lots of outside interference so that he can do a dive over the top rope to the outside, etc...

He's basically Vince's version of a spot monkey.

I don't think that's what they're saying.

IZOa2Fh.gif

jurgen

Like...I'm not saying Reigns doesn't have good matches.

But it's kind of clear that the company is extra careful in designing his matches to get the most crowd pops as possible. Through various things breaking, lots of outside interference so that he can do a dive over the top rope to the outside, etc...

He's just overbooked as hell. The fact that most of Kevin Owens's title run was a story arc for Roman Reigns is the problem in a microcosm.

I hated him for most of 2016 but now really appreciate his ability and think he's at least in the top 5 of performers on the main roster. It's just unfortunate that everything about him is Wrestling Action Figure™ that was designed by committee and focus tested.

I'll never understand why people consider Brock vs Roman a good match.

I think it was alright but Reigns took Lesnar's lazy ass and carried him in that match. He sold great.

yzYFlD4.gif

I still can't believe Owens was able to walk after going through that tower of chairs.

He's just overbooked as hell. The fact that most of Kevin Owens's title run was a story arc for Roman Reigns is the problem in a microcosm.

I hated him for most of 2016 but now really appreciate his ability and think he's at least in the top 5 of performers on the main roster. It's just unfortunate that everything about him is Wrestling Action Figure™ that was designed by committee and focus tested.
Balor and Rollins being injured was the reason he was involved with Owens.

klonere

Banned

Designed by committee is a great way to describe Roman's character stuff and scripting, totally agree.

Caderfix

- The last good "Suplex City" style Brock match
- Stiff as fuck
- Roman sold his ass off
- Blood
- The best cash in
- Super hot crowd

The suplex city style is not something I like, it's boring. The cash in was cool, the rest doesn't make a match good to me, although a hot crowd does help.

Zach

I don't really care about Roman Reigns personally, but you know what silly thing I don't like about the guy? His name! Roman Reigns. It hasn't grown on me at all. Specifically Roman, even though Reigns is kinda hokey. But Roman... ehh. Not a good wrassle name, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm going to give him a fair and final assessment after WrestleMania Whichever-One-We're-On.

Caderfix

The post that generated that reaponse was saying that Dean and Harper didn't use it but Roman did, which leads the poster to believe the previous two weren't allowed to in favor of the third.

Sounds like a stretch, sure, but still, I don't think they were criticising the idea of tailoring a match to make the crowd pop.

cordy

Banned
Like...I'm not saying Reigns doesn't have good matches.

Pretty much. It's good for Reigns but bad for everyone else considering their matches can't get as hype as possible given they want Roman's matches to be the best. Should be common sense though, I thought everyone knew this. There's a difference between Roman's matches being designed to give him the most cheers and least boos as possible while also not hindering others compared to Roman's matches designed to give him the most cheers and least boos as possible and that doing damage to others matches.

There is such a thing as "oh wait don't do that and let Roman do it because if we do it in this match we can't do it in the other match", Meltzer's commented on this before. Don't tell me people actually thought other guys weren't being held back in their own matches. Come on now.

Why do you think Ambrose/Corbin is a single's standard match? Look at the other matches on the card and lemme know which ones are gimmick match/will end up having gimmicks.

Pikma

Banned
I don't really care about Roman Reigns personally, but you know what silly thing I don't like about the guy? His name! Roman Reigns. It hasn't grown on me at all. Specifically Roman, even though Reigns is kinda hokey. But Roman... ehh. Not a good wrassle name, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm going to give him a fair and final assessment after WrestleMania Whichever-One-We're-On.
So how come you like heROMAN?

Tall4Life

This is why Roman/Brock was a great match. It was the absolute best of fuck you monster Brock. Roman's powerhouse style worked because you sure as hell aren't going to gradually weaken Brock through technical prowess, you have to hit him hard with your big moves and often. It was stiff as fuck and it gave both Roman lovers and haters a great time because you got to see Roman get his ass destroyed and also see him work to stay alive. End with Seth's cash in and its an awesome main event.

Syder

I mean, Roman's cool and all but I've always been a bigger fan of his brother...

15131%20-%20Black_Reign%20dustin_runnels%20tna%20turning_point%20wig.png

MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH

Toki767

I mean, Roman's cool and all but I've always been a bigger fan of his brother...

15131%20-%20Black_Reign%20dustin_runnels%20tna%20turning_point%20wig.png

MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH MYAH

What about his dad Luther?

You are all insane. Please stop watching WWE if you are constructing labyrinthine conspiracy theories like this.

Saving gimmick spots in matches for other wrestlers has been a thing in wrestling forever.

Tall4Life

And also, Roman Reigns is one of my favorite wrestlers currently and WM31 is one of the most underrated Manias. andthat'sashootmarkjabronis

cordy

Banned
The post that generated that reaponse was saying that Dean and Harper didn't use it but Roman did, which leads the poster to believe the previous two weren't allowed to in favor of the third.

Sounds like a stretch, sure, but still, I don't think theu were criticising the idea of tailoring a match to make the crowd pop.

Yeah it's been reported before as happening in other people's matches so it's not really a stretch to assume it. Some guys can do things that others can't do it. With that said, guarantee anyone anything that Ambrose/Corbin will go on next month and have a gimmick match because there will be far more room for one compared to WM where we're already going to see some.

It should be common sense though. Some guys just need way more help to make their matches better.

This is why Roman/Brock was a great match. It was the absolute best of fuck you monster Brock. Roman's powerhouse style worked because you sure as hell aren't going to gradually weaken Brock through technical prowess, you have to hit him hard with your big moves and often. It was stiff as fuck and it gave both Roman lovers and haters a great time because you got to see Roman get his ass destroyed and also see him work to stay alive. End with Seth's cash in and its an awesome main event.

It was fantastic....

And yeah Brock/Reigns have a great chemistry... here's the thing Reigns sometimes gets booked like old underdog Cena where he takes a beating and then wins... problem is look at the dude, he's not built like an underdog... except against Lesnar. Lesnar/Reigns works for underdog Reigns story. It'll be a pretty great match next year if they do it at 34.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I think it was alright but Reigns took Lesnar's lazy ass and carried him in that match. He sold great.

yzYFlD4.gif

Interestingly, Lesnar himself is the best seller in the company, which is hilarious since he never sells other than in 30 seconds of losing to Goldberg.

Menome

Saving gimmick spots in matches for other wrestlers has been a thing in wrestling forever.

Just look at the TLC PPV. There's the three separates and then the all-together match at the end. If every single match was TLC, it'd get boring quick.

Toki767

Interestingly, Lesnar himself is the best seller in the company, which is hilarious since he never sells other than in 30 seconds of losing to Goldberg.

Remember his first match back against Cena?

Dude sold tremendously.

Just look at the TLC PPV. There's the three separates and then the all-together match at the end. If every single match was TLC, it'd get boring quick.

Yeah. I always thought it was kind of obvious that they tend to save the really big spots in matches for Reigns the way they used to do it for Cena.

I mean they allowed man on woman violence which is basically banned now when Reigns speared Stephanie. Even if it was an "accident".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Remember his first match back against Cena?

Dude sold tremendously.

When Lesnar gets hit with something he looks like he's seriously gotten the wind knocked out of him - he has the perfect ability to sell to the point that the offense he took looks legit, but not to the point of overselling moves. He also seems to have a knack for knowing which moves he's allowed to no-sell and what moves need to come off as big story beats.

My problem with Lesnar is the combination of his booking and the fact he isn't committed enough to the role of professional wrestler to make stuff interesting. I wouldn't have had a problem with the main event of SummerSlam if they had tried to get a real match out of it instead.

Top Bottom