• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bu6Qq7P.gif

klonere

Banned
I was quoting the OP who mentioned Punk's numbers.

And not wrong about Hogan, brother.

Okay so let's take this one step at a time.

Gorgeous George

His first television appearance took place on November 11, 1947 (an event that was recently named among the top 100 televised acts of the 20th century by Entertainment Weekly) and he immediately became a national celebrity at the same level of Lucille Ball and Bob Hope (who personally donated hundreds of chic robes for George's collection)

it was Gorgeous George who single-handedly established television as a viable entertainment medium that could potentially reach millions of homes across the country. It is said that George was probably responsible for selling as many television receivers as Milton Berle.

So what Hulk Hogan did for PPV, Gorgeous George did for the entire concept of TV as a consumer good and entertainment medium!

Let's try Rikidōzan

He was credited with bringing the sport of professional wrestling to Japan at a time when the Japanese needed a local hero to emulate and was lauded as a national hero

His October 6, 1957 sixty-minute draw with Lou Thesz for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship drew an 87.0 rating, and his May 24, 1963 sixty-minute two out of three falls draw with The Destroyer drew a 67.0 rating, but a larger viewing audience (the largest in Japanese history) than the previous match, since more people had television sets by 1963.

Rikidōzan also trained professional wrestling students, including soon-to-be wrestling legends Kanji "Antonio" Inoki, Ooki Kintaro, and Shohei "Giant" Baba.

Seems like a cultural star that everyone from fans to your hypothetical Japanese granny would know about.

Let's go to old Britain shall we?

Big Daddy had his own comic strip in Buster during the early 1980s drawn by Mike Lacey. In 1982 ITV planned to build a TV programme around 'Big Daddy' as a replacement for the popular children's Saturday morning Tiswas show

During his career, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Queen Elizabeth II said they were fans of 'Big Daddy'.

He advertised tomato ketchup on television, appeared on Surprise, Surprise, featured on This is Your Life, was interviewed by Terry Wogan, had his own fan club and did a lot of charity work especially with children.

Back to Japan for the one of the most important figures in Hogan's career, Antonio Inoki. Instead of big block quotes, let's go with some bullet points

- Elected politician, multiple times
- Kind of invented MMA
- Founded NJPW
- Him no longer being in the spotlight lead a severe reduction in interest in TV wrestling outside of Tokyo and Osaka.

Zach

Was he on something? That aint normal.

Probably. I haven't grilled him about it yet. I'm just getting secondhand info right now. I'll wait until he cools down and others aren't badgering about details before I ask how everything went down. Or he'll just tell me soon. That's probably what will happen.

klonere

Banned
Well, I guess you are right. Vince McMahon and Hulk Hogan didn't accomplish anything close to these facts. Guess that means I'm done here. Enjoy Wrestlemania and the future, maggles!

Are you so fucking dense that you forgot what your original point was? I'm not trying to downplay Hogan/Vince/Mania (holy shit I even acknowledge that Hulk Hogan was responsible for the success of PPV in the first place). You said that Hulkmania started wrestling as a worldwide phenomenon, that Vince made wrestling a worldwide success, that this thread wouldn't be here without him for fuck sake.

What I did was point out that wrestling was a worldwide success before Vince decided to throw every chip he had on the colossal tussle and Hulk Hogan and that in the alternate timeline where that fails, wrestling probably would still be around as an entertainment product and cultural curio on a global basis.

jmdajr

I don't know, but I think Mike Tyson did a lot to help PPVs too. Before him, were most fights on live television?

I know boxing and wrestling were the first TV sports because, you only needed 1 camera!

Browny

Banned
I don't know, but I think Mike Tyson did a lot to help PPVs too. Before him, were most fights on live television?

I know boxing and wrestling were the first TV sports because, you only needed 1 camera!
Absolutely. Tyson helped to get viewers for Michaels - Austin at WM, which was arguably the starting point for the Attitude Era (or at least Austins run).

Edit: completely misinterpreted your point re. Boxing. Tyson as a boxer did great numbers, but a lot of it was probably Don King promoting rather well.

klonere

Banned

Nah, Vince and Hogan were key to the success of PPV in its infancy, well before Tyson came along. That's how they got away with threatening to drop support for PPV if providers showed Starrcade 87 the afternoon before Survivor Series. Without Vince they'd all have been in big trouble.

jmdajr

Absolutely. Tyson helped to get viewers for Michaels - Austin at WM, which was arguably the starting point for the Attitude Era (or at least Austins run).

Edit: completely misinterpreted your point re. Boxing. Tyson as a boxer did great numbers, but a lot of it was probably Don King promoting rather well.

Did we have any big PPVs draws before Hogan and Tyson? The biggest draw I remember for the Mexican community was Julio César Chávez. It was always an event.

Browny

Banned
Did we have any big PPVs draws before Hogan and Tyson? I the biggest draw I remember for the Mexican community was Julio César Chávez. It was always an event.
Was Ali pre PPV? Interesting question...

Fake edit: Thrilla in Manilla was one of the first PPVs as per Wikipedia.

Hasney

Was Ali pre PPV? Interesting question...

Fake edit: Thrilla in Manilla was one of the first PPVs as per Wikipedia.

Reading the Wiki article, it kinda fires home that the Wrestlemania with the best buy rate wouldn't be in the top 10 boxing events and would be 6th best if ranked against UFC events.

Also, Invasion being the best non-WM buy rate on wrestling PPV ever shows that if they hadn't fucked up that angle, it could have been amazing for them.

Dave said live events promoter Rafael Morffi is back in TNA. Get ready for more funny empty arena pics, it looks like we're finally getting the return of TNA Live House Shows

Hasney

They're not currently wrestling so it's more comfortable for them to be pulled down.

Comfort is important. Get yourself a nice pillow.

Recall

Reading the Wiki article, it kinda fires home that the Wrestlemania with the best buy rate wouldn't be in the top 10 boxing events and would be 6th best if ranked against UFC events.

Also, Invasion being the best non-WM buy rate on wrestling PPV ever shows that if they hadn't fucked up that angle, it could have been amazing for them.

Kevin Dunn and Vince McMahon.

They had one chance to make more money than ever before but nope, ego got in the way.

Invasion storylines could have lasted until Summerslam 2002 easily. Especially with how the NWO appeared in no time and the promotion struggled something hard after Survivor Series 2001. They killed the invasion with no back up plan to make themselves the money instead.

Reading a retro Observer

Does anyone have an over/under on how long it'll take before the WWF current headliners that are afraid of being leap-frogged will start whispering about how Benoit doesn't know how to work "main event" style

dangit dave

klonere

Banned
wait people really think that WWE won't just asset strip ROH and then close it down?

are these what they call "marks"?

We noted earlier this week how Summer Rae was apparently training for her return at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando. Summer has been out of action since last summer with a knee injury.

While Summer has not appeared on WWE TV since the Draft after being sent to the RAW roster, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that there’s talk of bringing her back to the SmackDown roster with an appearance at WrestleMania 33 in the SmackDown Women’s Title match.

Regarding that match, graphics have confirmed that it will be Alexa Bliss defending against Becky Lynch, Mickie James, Carmella and Natalya but it’s possible we also see appearances by Naomi, Tamina Snuka, Eva Marie and Summer. There’s also been rumors of a stipulation being added to the match.

The Observer adds that it’s also possible we see former WWE Superstars return for the SmackDown Women’s Title match. We’ve noted how the company contacted several women from the past about appearing at WrestleMania 33 for an angle or match that has been kept secret. Kelly Kelly and Lisa Marie Varon (Victoria) were among those contacted about working for the company in Orlando that Sunday.

http://www.pwmania.com/possible-par...omens-title-match-summer-rae-switching-brands

607313aadb4fb2134bde074b719c8558.gif

My WM would have looked like this:

Goldberg V Brock
Owens V Jericho
Nakamura V AJ Styles
American Alpha w/Kurt Angle in their corner V The Revival w/Jim Cornette in their corner

Bobby Roode V Tye Dillinger
Charlotte V Sasha Banks V Bailey V Becky in a Death Match

klonere

Banned
What assets does ROH have?

I know ROH is a dumpster fan haha but

The partnership with NJPW. The broadcast and production equipment. It's behind the scenes staff. Training school.

But most importantly
The contracts of all its performers.
The tape library.

Aiii

So not worth it
Who in their right mind names their kid Birdie Joe? Are you birthing a Sesame Street character?

Also, I'm sure "BJ" Danielson is gonna have a tremendous time in high school.

Beefy

I know ROH is a dumpster fan haha but

The partnership with NJPW. The broadcast and production equipment. It's behind the scenes staff. Training school.

But most importantly
The contracts of all its performers.
The tape library.

Has it got any good wrestlers now?

imBask

Banned
They gain one less competitor, one less option for wrestlers to sign to instead of WWE

that's the gain you marks

Kaladin

Friends, I have two options for an event to go to early Saturday before Takeover

12 PM - Pro Wrestling Revolver at Wydham Orlando:

*Ricochet vs. Shane Strickland.
*Brian Cage & Sami Callihan vs. Rey Fenix & Pentagon OM.
*David Starr vs. Jeff Cobb.
*Dave & Jake Crist vs. Jack Evans & Angelico.
*Jake Manning vs. Su Yung.
*Michael Elgin vs. ACH vs. Dezmond Xavier vs. Palmer.
*AR Fox Open Invite Ladder Match: Lio Rush vs. Matt Cross vs. Trevor Lee vs. Serpentico vs. AR Fox vs. more TBA

or a non wrestling event.....

2 PM - Ringside with Jim Ross at Plaza North Live.

*JR Live on stage with special guests Tony Schivaone and Paul O'Brien. For details, visit www.JrsBarBQ.com.

Both should end well within enough time for me to get to Takeover.

The wrestling show has a lot of Lucha Underground stars I have never seen live and I've never seen JR or Tony Shivaone in person like that either..

Decisions decisions.

klonere

Banned
Has it git any good wrestlers now?

The Bucks
Adam Cole
Christopher Daniels (perfect age for an NXT run!)
Dalton Castle
Marty Scrull
Will Ospreay (although I think his main contract is with NJPW)
The Hardys
The Briscoes (they won't get WWE contracts though)

EDIT: imbask and seph also are 100% right. WWE want to make it the only possible option at any level to make a living from wrestling.

Top Bottom