• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Ziggy nor Apollo are worth fighting for.
...that's my point.

Replace Dodson with Eva Marie

34733481.jpg
A page later after she's been brought up: everyone really seems to care.

14 non-WWE shows streaming around Mania, what's everyone gonna watch?

Planning on catching both EVOLVE shows, PROGRESS, Joey Janela's Spring Break, ROH, WWNLive Mercury Rising, FIP and the NJPW show on the Tuesday after Mania. Might try and watch the Ganbare Pro shows on DDT Universe as well, we'll have to see.

Just me that won't be suckling from Vince's corporate teat this weekend, then? ;)

Fine, that's fine. Enjoy the show.

We're not even talking about Eva Marie at this point. We're arguing that you have some really ridiculous conceptions about what is "over"
Over
One definition describes it as being popular with the audience.[1] Another definition describes it as achieving the desired reaction from the fans. Babyfaces who are over will be cheered, and heels who are over will be booed. Sometimes particular aspects of a performer's presentation may be over (such as a specific move they perform or their ring entrance) without the performer themselves being considered over.

You guys think you're supposed to like Eva Marie or think she's talented?

Sephzilla

I am Goldberg?

Corrections for my GWF Stats a few pages back

1) BronsonLee is actually not undefeated
2) Korly is part of the 3-Win Club in GWF

Over
One definition describes it as being popular with the audience.[1] Another definition describes it as achieving the desired reaction from the fans. Babyfaces who are over will be cheered, and heels who are over will be booed. Sometimes particular aspects of a performer's presentation may be over (such as a specific move they perform or their ring entrance) without the performer themselves being considered over.

You guys think you're supposed to like Eva Marie or think she's talented?

She's not getting the desired reaction though. She's supposed to be getting booed because she's a good villain. She's getting booed because she's boring and sucks at her job.

When a really shitty player in the NFL gets booed do you think it's because that player is talented?

Caderfix

She hasn't been on TV in a year and people still talk about her. She's over, regardless of any of our personal opinions on her wrestling talent. This has been how wrestling has been since I've ever known it.

People talk about her when she's brought up during a discussion or stipulation, which is pretty normal for any wrestler. Is like saying Apollo Crews is over because we keep bringing him up to say he's got no charisma when someone references him or in a situation in which pointing out he's got no charisma shows up. But that's not what I'm arguing here, the point I'm making is "If a wrestler makes people stop watching, that's not a good sign, it doesn't matter if it is a heel or a face".

14 non-WWE shows streaming around Mania, what's everyone gonna watch?

Planning on catching both EVOLVE shows, PROGRESS, Joey Janela's Spring Break, ROH, WWNLive Mercury Rising, FIP and the NJPW show on the Tuesday after Mania. Might try and watch the Ganbare Pro shows on DDT Universe as well, we'll have to see.

In fore all the Flo Slam stuff. This weekend is going to get me to sub

Zach

Heels getting booooooed is good.

Heels not being able to wrassle worth a lick, completely ruining one's ability to suspend disbelief, is probably not so good. Like, if I'm saying "why am I wasting my time with this?", I'm leaning towards that not being good heelmanship.

But that's just one man's opinion.

She's not getting the desired reaction though. She's supposed to be getting booed because she's a good villain. She's getting booed because she's boring and sucks at her job.
Well, what makes a wrestler great at their job? Goldberg is Universal champion and has been a reliable draw (who knows if he still is in 2017 yet), but he's never had talent for the business. Hogan can work a match, but he hasn't been presented as an athlete or good hand since the AWA.

In the end, if Eva is presented as someone who gets opportunities the public wants others to have, and if the fans respond to her accordingly and with volume every time she's around, is she not over?

klonere

Banned
Just me that won't be suckling from Vince's corporate teat this weekend, then? ;)

Fine, that's fine. Enjoy the show.

I'm honestly scared to look at the schedule and figure out just how much sleep I can do without.

Definitely watching all the EVOLVEs, Janela's show and PROGRESS. After that I'm not sure, it'll be whatever I have time to see.

Sephzilla

Well, what makes a wrestler great at their job? Goldberg is Universal champion and has been a reliable draw (who knows if he still is in 2017 yet), but he's never had talent for the business. Hogan can work a match, but he hasn't been presented as an athlete or good hand since the AWA.

In the end, if Eva is presented as someone who gets opportunities the public wants others to have, and if the fans respond to her accordingly and with volume every time she's around, is she not over?

JfsCmO4.gif

Goldberg only worked one style of match but he worked that style of match really well. He was also average on the mic back in the 90s (present day Goldberg is actually a good promo). Hogan was actually a solid promo in the 80s and was a respectable worker (especially when he worked Japan).

Is this you admitting you just want to work people instead of actually having a discussion?
My point is that fans have never really gotten what constitutes a work or if they're being worked, and it's obvious to me when I bring up a controversial opinion and watch people talk about me and the opinion constantly while acting like they're above their feelings. There's a disconnect that comes from us thinking we know it all while we respond exactly as expected to any of the usual stimuli.

The standard "IWC" type fans argue forever about how much someone sucks and we hate them, but why do we talk about these people all the time? Is Eva actually just terrible, or is it a combination of her being terrible + the company seeing that we see that? Isn't that what we've always said makes for the best wrestling gimmicks, when someone is presented in a fashion that's in touch with how the fans are responding? Is Eva supposed to be a good hand workhorse or something? She's got her gimmick, and she's nailing it.

What people? How many? Have a consensus?

Yeah, love that the dude was an extra before gaining any traction.
Everyone was like, omg cm punk was at wm 22.I was like huh(didn't really follow roh, only knew of it.) so then I got the wm 22 dvd I think for middle school graduation and was like, oh ok. Lol

Heroman

Banned
My point is that fans have never really gotten what constitutes a work or if they're being worked, and it's obvious to me when I bring up a controversial opinion and watch people talk about me and the opinion constantly while acting like they're above their feelings. There's a disconnect that comes from us thinking we know it all while we respond exactly as expected to any of the usual stimuli.

The standard "IWC" type fans argue forever about how much someone sucks and we hate them, but why do we talk about these people all the time? Is Eva actually just terrible, or is it a combination of her being terrible + the company seeing that we see that? Isn't that what we've always said makes for the best wrestling gimmicks, when someone is presented in a fashion that's in touch with how the fans are responding?

But we don't talk about Eva at all.

But we don't talk about Eva at all.
You just posted a few times rapidly about her when you really could have just ignored it like I ignore you guys when you talk about someone I don't give a fuck about. I just brought up Ziggler and Crews and you straight up said you don't care and haven't posted about them again, and no one here can muster up a single emotion about them.

Is it that you don't give a fuck, or do you give more than you would want to admit?

Top Bottom