• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

Heroman

Banned
You just posted a few times rapidly about her when you really could have just ignored it like I ignore you guys when you talk about someone I don't give a fuck about.

Is it that you don't give a fuck, or do you give more than you would want to admit?
I'll talk about her cause asked if she was going to be at wm33. And the reason why I'm still taking about her is that you and I are having a debate about her. If you didn't respond to me I wouldn't still be talking about her.

so over enough to be the president
haha actually Trump is a really great analogy for people who think someone hating untalented people is "X-Pac heat" and not true heel heat.

I'll talk about her cause asked if she was going to be at wm33. And the reason why I'm still taking about her is that you and I are having a debate about her. If you didn't respond to me I wouldn't still be talking about her.
I responded about Ziggler and Crews, and you didn't respond because you don't care. None of us care about them. Eva takes up more space than you want her to in your heart and mind. Like an over wrestler does.

Zach

YOU DIDN'T RESPOND TO WHAT I SAID LIU KANG BAKING A PIE CHECKMATE YOU ADMIT I'M RIGHT ABOUT WHATEVER I SAID ABOUT EVA MARIE OR WHATEVER.

Feels good, man. Feels good.

Heroman

Banned

I responded about Ziggler and Crews, and you didn't respond because you don't care. None of us care about them. Eva takes up more space than you want her to in your heart and mind. Like an over wrestler does.
I didn't feel like responding to that as I agreed with you.

Well no, there is more talk about Ziggy and crews then there is about Eva.

14 non-WWE shows streaming around Mania, what's everyone gonna watch?

Planning on catching both EVOLVE shows, PROGRESS, Joey Janela's Spring Break, ROH, WWNLive Mercury Rising, FIP and the NJPW show on the Tuesday after Mania. Might try and watch the Ganbare Pro shows on DDT Universe as well, we'll have to see.

Doing PROGRESS, SHIMMER, WWN Super Show and Wrestlecon for sure, that's usually up fairly quick. Beyond that, whatever I find time for, probably at least the EVOLVE's.

RcBFNBT.gif
Blackaroni's identity exposed.

klonere

Banned
Doing PROGRESS, SHIMMER, WWN Super Show and Wrestlecon for sure, that's usually up fairly quick. Beyond that, whatever I find time for, probably at least the EVOLVE's.

I just saw the thing about Dahlia.

Couldn't have been a worse timed injury. They were gonna hit it big at Mania weekend, I could feel it. I still hope they manage to get bookings state side out of all this.

Caderfix

My point is that fans have never really gotten what constitutes a work or if they're being worked, and it's obvious to me when I bring up a controversial opinion and watch people talk about me and the opinion constantly while acting like they're above their feelings. There's a disconnect that comes from us thinking we know it all while we respond exactly as expected to any of the usual stimuli.

The standard "IWC" type fans argue forever about how much someone sucks and we hate them, but why do we talk about these people all the time? Is Eva actually just terrible, or is it a combination of her being terrible + the company seeing that we see that? Isn't that what we've always said makes for the best wrestling gimmicks, when someone is presented in a fashion that's in touch with how the fans are responding?

To use your previous examples:
1 - Roman - He keeps being pushed and one of the center pieces of the show.
2 - Eva - Someone brings her up once in a blue moon, and then some comment on her. Not really frequent.
3 - Elias - I know nothing about him nor NXT, so I can't comment.

Now to provide counter points that the company is getting what they want out of them:
1 - If they were ok with the reaction Roman gets, they wouldn't mute the crowd nor try to say the crowd likes him whenever they have the chance to. Also, he wouldn't have lost to Lesnar, Finn, Rollins or Ambrose. They'd just double down in him being superman and beating all odds.

2 - Again, I've been here day in and day out since 2015, and I don't see people bringing her up frequently. It's actually pretty rare.

But you are right on something, the company DID capitalize on Eva, and they were smart to do so, however, if the efforts were enough to really save her and put her over, due to them "working" the fans, the fans wouldn't be changing the channel or taking their piss break during her matches/promos, which is what I usually hear around here and what I actually did when she was up. Keep in mind I'm talking about my experience with other fans in this thread, I'm not on reddit and I don't check the OT for wrestling, perhaps that's were our different views are coming from.

I agree with you, when the company is sensible enough to align what they are doing with what the fans feel, like the WWE claim they did with the whole Daniel Bryan journey to WM's main event (The heels were screwing Daniel Bryan like crazy, and it looked like no good would come out of it, but people were still engaged), it is GREAT and is what pro wrestling should be all about, but the examples you are using don't really fit into that category, as Roman is an experiment that they'll keep trying to put over by brute force and Eva Marie makes people react the same way they did to the Diva's, before the woman's revolution.

kiguel182

The thing that made punk punk they didn't allow him to do until what? 3 years later?

Even when he cut the pipe bomb promo he still wasn't considered "THE" guy. I mean, the dude played second field to Cena vs Lauranitis.

Yet, from the start, you could see his potencial. It took them 4 years (and him wanting to walk out) to push him up the card but never as a full main-event draw.

He was over the moment he debuted in ECW. Oh well.

Eh, it's Axxess. Those matches are watched by at most 100-200 people who are walking around looking at other shit. She'll be fine, she impressed enough to get this gig anyway.

Yup, and besides she'll do a great job from ringside supporting TK & Travis. Dahlia's a huge part of what's made the South Pacific Power Trip successful, in and out of the ring. It'd be awesome if they get some US bookings out of this weekend, what with the visa situation preventing an imminent return to the UK, but I do hope fans continue to follow them when they return to the NZ & Australian wrestling scenes - I know Melbourne City Wrestling's bringing them in, they're a good promotion who deserve more eyes on them.

The SHIMMER card's looking a bit weak at the moment, still undecided on whether I should bother or not - ROH looks really good tbh, but $30 good? Eh.

Now to provide counter points that the company is getting what they want out of them:
I like your post, but I'm just going to respond to the first one, because I feel we're on the same page with 2 and 3.

1 - If they were ok with the reaction Roman gets, they wouldn't mute the crowd nor try to say the crowd likes him whenever they have the chance to. Also, he wouldn't have lost to Lesnar, Finn, Rollins or Ambrose. They'd just double down in him being superman and beating all odds.
What muting? They don't have taped main roster shows anymore. I'm interested in if they're still trying this.

Anyway, Roman's never lost to Lesnar (am I forgetting a B-show PPV?), and Finn got injured when he was supposed to replace Roman. Who knows what this WM would've looked like with Finn as the top guy now.

I'm realizing this isn't the same way everyone else is seeing it, but I think they're fine with the reactions Roman gets. I swear I feel like people still think it's 2014 and Vince is being blindsided by the heel reactions. It's 2017, they know how each of us feels about Roman. Have we already forgotten this Braun feud basically got heated up with Braun saying "these fans don't like you Roman, and neither do I" when he called him out? Even the Rock at the Staples Center last month said "I'm watching the show, I'm booing along with you guys every week *cough* Roman Reigns *cough*." There isn't a person on any show that gets louder and more frantic boos than Roman, and there's no one they can put him against who will be booed more by the dudes, and they know it.

I think the people who don't know what's going on with Roman are the previously treasured demographic of 18-35 year old dudes confused that other demographics now matter, too. No one successful focuses on winning over haters, so why not keep having Roman do his Roman thing that's obviously killing with women and kids, and put him up against IWC favorites who they know we'll cheer for even though they're presented as heels? Roman is a canon Bizarro World, like the Canada vs US feud, but I think dudes are too stubborn to get that we've been worked on this, just like we didn't understand Cena in his prime era. We're not used to wrestling not catering exclusively to us.

I just saw the thing about Dahlia.

Couldn't have been a worse timed injury. They were gonna hit it big at Mania weekend, I could feel it. I still hope they manage to get bookings state side out of all this.

I reckon they'll be OK. She's such an integral part of the act, that provided she's good enough to walk (even if she's not, I saw TK carry her through the entire crowd of people leaving PROGRESS yesterday, they could make that work) that they should be fine, and she'll be right there with them.

Agreed though, it suuuuucks.

imBask

Banned
I like your post, but I'm just going to respond to the first one, because I feel we're on the same page with 2 and 3.

What muting? They don't have taped main roster shows anymore. I'm interested in if they're still trying this.

they still edit replays and recaps heavily

there was a great example on reddit a couple of weeks ago, the recap was edited with positive reaction shots from the crowd for Roman instead of negative ones

Zach

So I made it to SummerSlam 2008. I'm kinda looking forward to it buuut:

Main Events!

CM Punk vs. JBL -- Poor CM Punk. Jibble is bottom-of-the-barrel trash.

Triple H vs. The Great Khali -- Nice change of pace from Triple H constantly working with the best talent to try and look like a top guy. Can't wait for this suckfest.

Batista vs. John Cena -- Actually excited to see this. The only A-minus-level talents in the company at this point (I'd put Punk, Edge, and The Undertaker in B territory).

Edge vs. The Undertaker -- I'm pretty tired of these guys, but this could be good. Vickie bringing back The Undertaker to get revenge on no-good, cheating Edge is some high-level melodrama, daddeh.

The SHIMMER card's looking a bit weak at the moment, still undecided on whether I should bother or not - ROH looks really good tbh, but $30 good? Eh.

Yeah, I've been going through the late 60's volumes lately so I'm mostly interested to see who's come up between then and now, it's the only way I keep up with the US women's scene.

So I made it to SummerSlam 2008. I'm kinda looking forward to it buuut:

Main Events!

CM Punk vs. JBL -- Poor CM Punk. Jibble is bottom-of-the-barrel trash.

Triple H vs. The Great Khali -- Nice change of pace from Triple H constantly working with the best talent to try and look like a top guy. Can't wait for this suckfest.

Batista vs. John Cena -- Actually excited to see this. The only A-minus-level talents in the company at this point (I'd put Punk, Edge, and The Undertaker in B territory).

Edge vs. The Undertaker -- I'm pretty tired of these guys, but this could be good. Vickie bringing back The Undertaker to get revenge on no-good, cheating Edge is some high-level melodrama, daddeh.
YIKES. This is why I don't complain about now, unless something idiotic happens (most Raws, but they're inconsequential so whatever). The 2000s were such fucking trash. The only time in WWE history since I've been aware of them where I stopped watching for years.

imBask

Banned
We should make a calendar bet on the date people will turn on the BROKEN gimmick in the WWE

"HE'S BROKEN MAGGLE HAHA I LOVE IT, BROKEN!" - JBL
"Yes JBL the BROKEN Matt Hardy is BROKEN and BROKEN means BROKEN" - Maggle
"huruhaesijdapidhj BROKEN" -Otunga

followed by 500 matches against the Usos, every week

Zach

YIKES. This is why I don't complain about now, unless something idiotic happens (most Raws, but they're inconsequential so whatever). The 2000s were such fucking trash. The only time in WWE history since I've been aware of them where I stopped watching for years.

There are good matches peppered throughout, but I don't blame anyone for stopping forever after 2001.

Foggy

We should make a calendar bet on the date people will turn on the BROKEN gimmick in the WWE

"HE'S BROKEN MAGGLE HAHA I LOVE IT, BROKEN!" - JBL
"Yes JBL the BROKEN Matt Hardy is BROKEN and BROKEN means BROKEN" - Maggle
"huruhaesijdapidhj BROKEN" -Otunga

followed by 500 matches against the Usos, every week

No idea why people would get hyped for Broken Hardy shenanigans through a WWE filter

Caderfix

Yeah, they do it live. You can hear the volume going down anytime he's walking down the gorilla. I don't think they'll stop doing that anytime soon haha

Anyway, Roman's never lost to Lesnar (am I forgetting a B-show PPV?), and Finn got injured when he was supposed to replace Roman. Who knows what this WM would've looked like with Finn as the top guy now.

He didn't lose, I meant that he would've beaten him instead of being pinned by Rollins or would make it look like he would before Rollins showed up.

I'm cutting this one because it is too big of a quote

Cena absolutely did what the company wanted, specially in that One Night Stand PPV, that was a perfect example of the company and performer working the crowd. But the thing is, they stopped handling him like prime Cena. That along with the length they are willing to go to change people's perception is what makes me think they're not ok with it. They're not embracing it, they're still putting in effort to make it look like something else. As you said, the kids and woman are already won, and the rest, most likely, will still watch anyways, so why go to the lengths they go if it doesn't matter?

Taker legit might not make it back up that ramp after his match. It's so steep.

Might have to break out the RR golf carts to get him to the back. It's okay though. All the cameras will be focused on Roman celebrating his win with the fans.

Mahonay

Banned

Might have to break out the RR golf carts to get him to the back. It's okay though. All the cameras will be focused on Roman celebrating his win with the fans.
It does look a lot higher and steeper than normal.

Sephzilla

Motorcycles can make it up and down that ramp though ;)

Top Bottom