• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Insaniac

Tutorial was poopy, can someone explain to me how to hook/slice and do topspin and stuff?

Also, is there a way to gauge the how much of a uphill/downhill grade when putting, or is just general "uphill this way, downhill this way!"

Blackdog

Banned
Tutorial was poopy, can someone explain to me how to hook/slice and do topspin and stuff?

Also, is there a way to gauge the how much of a uphill/downhill grade when putting, or is just general "uphill this way, downhill this way!"

Slices and hooks are applied using the analog slider during the swing process. Top spin and back spin are applied when you're setting accuracy. For example, hit A to start the swing. Hit 'A' to set power, and finally hit 'A' once more for accuracy. But instead of hitting 'A' the final time do the following:

Hit A twice for top spin
Hit B twice for back spin
Hit A then B for super top spin
Hit B then A for super back spin.

krae_man

Oh god that sounds horrible. Why can't you just use the up and down arrows of the D-Pad like Hot Shots and all normal sim/arcade hybrid golf games?

Double presses and changing which button you press are a recipe for royally screwing up the impact press.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Oh god that sounds horrible. Why can't you just use the up and down arrows of the D-Pad like Hot Shots and all normal sim/arcade hybrid golf games?

Double presses and changing which button you press are a recipe for royally screwing up the impact press.

Because up and down are already there for high arc vs low arc. and all you really have to do is press the big buttons on the touch screen that brightly say top spin, super top, etc...

Blackdog

Banned

These shots are actually harder to pull off in Hot Shots. On this game the amount of time they give you to make the second button press is incredibly long. If I remember correctly, doesn't Hot Shots also require that you nail the impact perfectly in order to also pull off the spin? This game is forgiving when it comes to impact.

It worked fine in Toadstool Tour. I believe there's also touchscreen buttons that do the same thing.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Does there exist a stat list for the characters yet? I need to know what Kamek is. I generally prefer more power than he's probably going to have (ala Bowser), but I love me some koopa wizards.

I like the idea that super topspin/backspin should be very slightly harder to pull off because they're more powerful. There's hardly any reason not to drive with super topspin on every par 4 and 5.

Salsa

you have the entire swing time to decide on backspin/topsin etc. It sounds way worse than it actually is

the problem with the controls is definetly the "where you wanna hit the ball" thing

Insaniac

Slices and hooks are applied using the analog slider during the swing process. Top spin and back spin are applied when you're setting accuracy. For example, hit A to start the swing. Hit 'A' to set power, and finally hit 'A' once more for accuracy. But instead of hitting 'A' the final time do the following:

Hit A twice for top spin
Hit B twice for back spin
Hit A then B for super top spin
Hit B then A for super back spin.

Thanks! Any answer on judging the grade while putting?

(I know the little grid moves in the direction of the downhills, but is there anyway to know if its steeper or gentler besides trying to judge with your eyes? It's kind of difficult with the camera angles they give you.)

Salsa

I see a lot of comments about putting and it feels pretty much the same as always to me

- the most important thing is the ground
- don't be afraid to go a bit above with the shot's strenght. way safer than falling short

krae_man

These shots are actually harder to pull off in Hot Shots. On this game the amount of time they give you to make the second button press is incredibly long. If I remember correctly, doesn't Hot Shots also require that you nail the impact perfectly in order to also pull off the spin? This game is forgiving when it comes to impact.

Perfect impact drastically improves the spin but missing perfect impact doesn't eliminate it. Personally I think holding up(optional for "super" versions) on the upswing and down on the downswing is easier*. Hot Shots had pressing Circle and Triangle to slightly increase or decrease power if you fucked that up and I could never manage that either. Then again getting power right is pretty easy so I never needed to use it.

An old hot shots game also had special shots on the very outside of the impact zone for super super low or super super high trajectory and I could never get those right either. You need to get in a rhythm for perfect impact and any system that messes with that is a bad one.

*or left and right, right and left, down and up

Galactic Fork

(I know the little grid moves in the direction of the downhills, but is there anyway to know if its steeper or gentler besides trying to judge with your eyes? It's kind of difficult with the camera angles they give you.)

The shape of the grid really. Plus if there's left and right curve little bright dots flow along the lines at varying speeds (depending on angle).

Edit: actually the speed doesn't change, sorry.

NotLiquid

I like the idea that super topspin/backspin should be very slightly harder to pull off because they're more powerful. There's hardly any reason not to drive with super topspin on every par 4 and 5.

I find that Super Topspin is a bit risky to perform in some stages where the fairway is narrow with a bunker or other hazards. Also very much not recommended to use during Ring Shots. But yeah it's pretty OP as far as range goes.

krae_man

I haven't quite figured out slope or height for putting yet. Hot shots had a very specific 0.1ft of height difference = add 1 foot of putt strength ratio. I'll start from there and adjust as necessary.

As for left to right slope, I always went on pure gut. If you nail your approach shots and get power right you should have short putts without much break.

I'm sure I'll figure everything out. Having to unlearn Hot Shots will be a PITA. Same thing happened when I picked up Pangya for PSP but I eventually got the hang of it.

Finally got around to playing the demo. It's uhhh...a little surprisingly tough. I don't like that I have to choose between having to time stylus taps or losing manual control. I also have no idea where to start on trying to figure out the putting grid - seriously I may need a guide on that. I'm constantly struggling with the camera too - why can't it just follow where you want to ball to land?

Overall though I had fun with it and still plan to pick up the game and hopefully play with GAF.

Blackdog

Banned

Sorry about that, I meant to answer that part too. It tells you on the screen how far up or down the hole is from your ball. I dont have the game in front of me, so I can't tell you exactly where that value is located, but you'll see either a Plus or a Minus sign before it. Plus = above you feet, and thus you should add distance, minus obviously being the opposite. It should also be noted that this value is presented on screen for all shots. It's very important to know when you're hitting an approach shot to the green (take oomph off the shot if the hole is below your ball, and add some if it's above).

Here's a screen I just found via google. Note how I wrong I was about the + and minus. It uses a down and up arrow instead.

Mario-Golf-World-Tour-Castle-Club-Satoru-Iwata-Mii-Colorful-Nintendo-Direct-NA-2014-02-13.jpg

Galactic Fork

Hrmmmm... The fact that when lining up your shot, the ball indicator shows the circle point of impact makes me wonder if there's a way to change it and get a preview that we just don't know yet. Seems odd the impact point would be displayed there... Just taunting you.

krae_man

Sorry about that, I meant to answer that part too. It tells you on the screen how far up or down the hole is from your ball. I dont have the game in front of me, so I can't tell you exactly where that value is located, but you'll see either a Plus or a Minus sign before it. Plus = above you feet, and thus you should add distance, minus obviously being the opposite. It should also be noted that this value is presented on screen for all shots. It's very important to know when you're hitting an approach shot to the green (take oomph off the shot if the hole is below your ball, and add some if it's above).

Here's a screen I just found via google. Note how I wrong I was about the + and minus. It uses a down and up arrow instead.

Mario-Golf-World-Tour-Castle-Club-Satoru-Iwata-Mii-Colorful-Nintendo-Direct-NA-2014-02-13.jpg

Yeah it's non stop. It even changes as your shot is flying through the air.

That blowing cloud keeps messing me up. I keep thinking the wind is down and to the right. They could have just had him facing the direction the wind is blowing instead of him facing the same way every time with an arrow above.

Schryver

The shape of the grid really. Plus if there's left and right curve little bright dots flow along the lines at varying speeds (depending on angle).

Edit: actually the speed doesn't change, sorry.

Wait really? Don't other games normally have the dots change speeds depending on slope? That seems weird

th4tguy

Pretty excited to get this day 1 digitally. Haven't played a golf game since Mario Golf Advance. Really looking forward to this and had to force myself not to buy Hot shots golf on ps3 (on sale this week) because of this.

You can do exactly that with the dpad once you start the backswing.

Of course, that only gives you eight extreme options versus the nuance that you get with the stylus.

The demo is really fun but I don't have much incentive to play when I don't have an opponent. No tax and free first day shipping though? Yes please. Can't wait to play some GAFers in online tournaments and get my ass kicked

meh, based on all the differing opinions on this game and from having played the demo where i did enjoy the whacky look of the courses, the soundtrack but being annoyed a bit by the gameplay, i decided to NOT buy this game right now. To satisfy my thirst for an arcade golf game that is not HSG i will get Pangya for PSP, hopefully that will be more up my alley.

I'll still get Mario Golf later at some point though probably

Draconian

The demo is really fun but I don't have much incentive to play when I don't have an opponent. No tax and free first day shipping though? Yes please. Can't wait to play some GAFers in online tournaments and get my ass kicked

Yep. I can't wait to start missing 10 foot putts while sinking others from over 50 feet away. :p

Salsa

meh, based on all the differing opinions on this game and from having played the demo where i did enjoy the whacky look of the courses, the soundtrack but being annoyed a bit by the gameplay, i decided to NOT buy this game right now. To satisfy my thirst for an arcade golf game that is not HSG i will get Pangya for PSP, hopefully that will be more up my alley.

I'll still get Mario Golf later at some point though probably

I think a lot of the fun in thsi game is about the momentum, specially on release and specially with GAF

like, Animal Crossing New Leaf is still really fun but it never reached the heights it did during the month of release when everyone on GAF was playing. I expect the same from this.

It's not gonna be the best golf game ever but it's probably gonna be the most involved and crowded online for quite a while. That's the upside to some of the disappointing aspects.

I still don't see that many differing opinions tho, specially in reviews

my advice (and what im doing) for those doubting a bit on going head-on for the $45 is probably just grab the base game for $30 and wait on the DLC a bit.

I think a lot of the fun in thsi game is about the momentum, specially on release and specially with GAF

like, Animal Crossing New Leaf is still really fun but it never reached the heights it did during the month of release when everyone on GAF was playing. I expect the same from this.

It's not gonna be the best golf game ever but it's probably gonna be the most involved and crowded online for quite a while. That's the upside to some of the disappointing aspects.

I still don't see that many differing opinions tho, specially in reviews

my advice (and what im doing) for those doubting a bit on going head-on for the $45 is probably just grab the base game for $30 and wait on the DLC a bit.

yeah i get what you're saying about the GAF aspect... then again, i'm used to checking up info on games in LTTP threads here since i am always lagging behind due to huge backlog anyways so...

Also: i won't be playing online at ALL so there's probably better choices out there for whacky arcade golf games i guess...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Still can't believe Nintendo is gonna make me buy and download this and Kirby on the same night. Goddamn, Nintendo. Help me be more focused at least for one day.

It's the 1st in Japan, leading us to some cute nerd rage reviews on Amazon:
EDIT: 2nd half of the 2nd review, which you can't see here, is where it gets hilarious. Though a lot of you would probably need to use Google Translate or something anyways.

Two of the three words I understand are "DLC" and "PSVITA".

lmao
The second guy did buy the game, but I'm not sure how serious the review is since a couple of the complaints are hilarious and it ends with wanting the next game on the PS4.

First review is just pure nerd rage about DLC, though I suppose it should be kept in mind that only North America gets the game for a discount. It's normal price everywhere else.

daydream

Banned
The second guy did buy the game, but I'm not sure how serious the review is since a couple of the complaints are hilarious and it ends with wanting the next game on the PS4.

First review is just pure nerd rage about DLC, though I suppose it should be kept in mind that only North America gets the game for a discount. It's normal price everywhere else.

Yeah, just found it funny how I could extrapolate basically all that from not very much, haha.

I'll probably just end up getting the Season Pass, but I'm kind of torn honestly. On the one hand, I have no problem with the value proposition. But on the other -- knowing my attention span with games -- will I even still be playing the game by the time the add-on content releases?

th4tguy

I'll probably just end up getting the Season Pass, but I'm kind of torn honestly. On the one hand, I have no problem with the value proposition. But on the other -- knowing my attention span with games -- will I even still be playing the game by the time the add-on content releases?

Wait for the first DLC to come out. If you are still playing enough that you want to pick it up, grab the season pass. Otherwise, don't.

krae_man

You could just buy the first pack then no? That comes out day one.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
get outta my head charles!

Top Bottom