• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Insaniac

kind of enjoying the demo now, since I've always been mediocre at golf games, this simplifies it a bit and makes it more enjoyable and easier for me to play. What does hitting the top/bottom of the golfball on the swing do btw?

RM8

Beyond jelly of people getting it early :( I'll have mine by next Monday or Tuesday, if FedEx is nice.

Blackdog

Banned
kind of enjoying the demo now, since I've always been mediocre at golf games, this simplifies it a bit and makes it more enjoyable and easier for me to play. What does hitting the top/bottom of the golfball on the swing do btw?

Top = lower trajectory, more roll
Bottom = higher trajectory, less roll
Left = slice the ball from right to left (if you're a right-handed golfer)
Right = hook the ball from left to right (if you're a right-handed golfer)

Just bought the game here in NYC.

I know nothing about golf, lol, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the demo and purchasing this game. So if you ask certain questions, forgive me if I cannot answer them.

Single player modes: Stroke Play, Match Play, Speed Golf, Point Tourney, Challenges.

Looks like a few tournaments are up already but I couldn't access the DLC yet. I'm loving Bowser Jr.'s stance, lol.

A few pictures:
VJOv5m5.jpg

Effect

No luck at my local Target. Didn't even have it out. They did strangely have copies of Project X Zone. I've never seen that in physical stores. Might have to pick up a copy tomorrow or Friday if they still have copies.

Checked my Target. ,As expected of the Target right next to its HQ, it unfortunately did not have it. So, I stuck to my original plan and got the eShop cards I need.

Also, glad to see search options for communities.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Went to my Target. They had a slot with the other 3DS games for MGWT, but it was empty. I asked a guy about it and he scanned it and said there were some in the back. He got a copy, even wondered why they had a whole stack in the back, but none up front (I knew why, but I wasn't mentioning a street date). By this time I was already composing my success story for NeoGAF in my head... But when he rung me up, I was denied by the computer. DO NOT SELL UNTIL 5/2.

FAILURE!

hort22

Thanks for posting the video but doesn't anyone use manual shot at all?

Off topic won an auction for a 2ds and have amazon delivering game on Friday...guess ill have to wait till to see my own manual shots...lol

Went to my Target. They had a slot with the other 3DS games for MGWT, but it was empty. I asked a guy about it and he scanned it and said there were some in the back. He got a copy, even wondered why they had a whole stack in the back, but none up front (I knew why, but I wasn't mentioning a street date). By this time I was already composing my success story for NeoGAF in my head... But when he rung me up, I was denied by the computer. DO NOT SELL UNTIL 5/2.

FAILURE!
"Composing my success story" lol

KaYotiX

Banned
Thanks for posting the video but doesn't anyone use manual shot at all?

Off topic won an auction for a 2ds and have amazon delivering game on Friday...guess ill have to wait till to see my own manual shots...lol

Manual shot user here, gives me more control.

Can't wait for this game, need a new 3ds game

Clownboat

Banned
Manual shot user here, gives me more control.

Can you control the impact point on the ball precisely, like you could in previous games with the control stick?

I keep hearing about predefined spins and can't remember whether that was present in other games, but I do remember having fine control over the shot trajectory. I played the hell out of all the previous Marios Golf, mainly due to the depth of the gameplay and the amazing feeling of making the perfect finesse shot.

Just bought the game here in NYC.

I know nothing about golf, lol, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the demo and purchasing this game. So if you ask certain questions, forgive me if I cannot answer them.

Single player modes: Stroke Play, Match Play, Speed Golf, Point Tourney, Challenges.

Looks like a few tournaments are up already but I couldn't access the DLC yet. I'm loving Bowser Jr.'s stance, lol.

A few pictures:

Where might I ask did you pick up this fine game in the NYC area? :)

Vysetron

Neo Member
Found a list of drive ranges for the starting characters. Wish they'd included more than just that, but eh. Also Diddy hits harder than Wario, whaaaat

Mario: 215yd
Luigi: 206yd
Peach: 200yd
Yoshi: 208yd
Daisy: 213yd
DK: 217yd
Diddy: 211yd
Bowser Jr.: 210yd
Boo: 209yd
Waluigi: 208yd
Wario: 209yd
Bowser: 220yd
Mii in starting gear: 210yd

There looks to be 6 tournaments/events up right now:

Americas point play 1
Fixed character tournament 1
Limited character coin rush 1
Limited item coin rush 1
World tournament 1
Americas tournament 1

Each show what prize you can earn, which is clothing for your Mii.

These are on the main menu on the top screen.

4 of the tournaments have a deadline of May 8th and the other 2 are May 15th.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shit, my copy just shipped from amazon UK. Forgot I'd preordered it and was thinking not to bother buying it. Oh well :p

hort22

There looks to be 6 tournaments/events up right now:

Americas point play 1
Fixed character tournament 1
Limited character coin rush 1
Limited item coin rush 1
World tournament 1
Americas tournament 1

Each show what prize you can earn, which is clothing for your Mii.

These are on the main menu on the top screen.

4 of the tournaments have a deadline of May 8th and the other 2 are May 15th.

anyone know how these tourneys work? play them once ala the hot shots dailies or do you get multiple tries at them?

Yes, you can try as often as you like until the deadline, but there's no immediate "Retry" option.

So yeah, the major thing I mentioned earlier... There are 4 Majors, like in real golf:
-Princess Tournament
-Star Open
-Moon Open
-World Championships

To qualify for the Princess Tournament, which starts on June 12 and runs for 2 weeks. you need to place in the top 60% of one of the following:
-World Tournament 1 ~ 3
-Japan Tournament 1 ~ 2

I assume that for other regions that "Japan" will change to the appropriate region. Participation Prize for the Princess Tournament is some cool-looking gear, like usual.

This news is probably worthy of its own thread, but I would want someone whose Japanese is much better than mine to go over it properly before a new thread is made.

rando14

Found a list of drive ranges for the starting characters. Wish they'd included more than just that, but eh. Also Diddy hits harder than Wario, whaaaat

Lol even Daisy hits harder than Wario? Daaang Wario do you even lift breh

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd prefer to be able to freely choose my favourite character and not give them all different stats, but they look close enough that it shouldn't matter who you pick.

Can you use custom clubs/equipment at all in tournaments or multiplayer?

I would assume not, because they'd want to keep things fair. Like if you choose your Mii, they can be in custom clothes but will be competitive on the same scale as Mario et al.

Can you use custom clubs/equipment at all in tournaments or multiplayer?

I would assume not, because they'd want to keep things fair. Like if you choose your Mii, they can be in custom clothes but will be competitive on the same scale as Mario et al.
I don't see why that would be an issue. Like, the qualifiers for the Majors are Castle Club tournaments where you can only use your Mii anyways.

As for the Mario Open tournaments... They would just have to make it impossible for your Mii to drive more than 300y or so to balance things and that's pretty easy to do. And yes, there'll probably be a star character with a 300y drive. If you want to use your 240y character or whatever then you'll want to set character restrictions for your tournament or community if you don't want to get destroyed by someone who's using a strong character.

Robin64

So I've created a private tournament for us!

Called "NeoGAF EarlyBird", it runs from now until Sunday at midnight UK time.

The code to join is 19-1168-9943-8813

Good luck to everyone, see you there!

FAILURE!

The Target by me is pretty bad about this with most Nintendo games. They put the game out like a day or two early, on their endcaps with prices and everything, but won't sell it to you. Happened with Rayman, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD and Bravely Default. Kind of a bummer since I work Friday to Tuesday.

Got the game this morning, played a bit and as the demo already indicated, yep it's Mario Golf all right.
I dislike that I have to use my Mii in castle club, I mean I get why but I hate its stupid voice and its animations are boring and almost rigid compared to other characters, dude looks awkward just moving around castle club.
The challenge stuff on the other hand is a pretty neat way of setting up some sort of progression in a MG game compared to the previous method of just going through tournaments.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just the one.

Oh wow - didn't expect that. They usually have 3 for these games.

Hmm, may need to get two copies then for myself and my SO. I've got one coming tomorrow from Amazon; may get the digital for myself tonight at midnight.

Smilax

So I've created a private tournament for us!

Called "NeoGAF EarlyBird", it runs from now until Sunday at midnight UK time.

The code to join is 19-1168-9943-8813

Good luck to everyone, see you there!

Sounds like fun. I'll hopefully pick up my copy tomorrow and join immediately
and to best Shark

Put that in. But for future reference, everyone can edit it. This is because tourneys are so easy to create that I predict that post-release there'll be a lot made and I don't want to add them all myself. I do plan on maintaining it a bit, though. Don't want tourneys that are dead to still be marked as "running now", for example.

I'll add it to the OP soon.

RoadDogg

Just finished adding in the last couple FC in the OP. Still haven't been added by a decent amount of the names in there, but I guess it doesn't matter because you can set up tournaments without being friends. Can't wait for my copy to come tomorrow afternoon!

Top Bottom