• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Salvadora

For those that have the game, is there any way to turn off the god awful character sounds?

From my brief playthrough of the demo it drove me absolutely insane.

LoveCake

I'll probably be downloading this game at some point this weekend. Is there a GAF friend code list thing that I can add my name to?

Tomorrow I'm going to be turning the GAF FC list in the OP into a spreadsheet anyone can edit because I'm lazy.

People need to PM the people that they add, i do try & go through the pages but it takes time, people MUST PM the people that they add so they can in-turn add them back, i have added lots of people over the months & even after sending a PM here & on other sites they don't add you back, i always PM people when i add them.

I will be sending PM's to a few people on here in this Golf thread specifically.

I have only had time for a couple of plays of this so far, proper busy day at work today :/ i think i'm going to give the demo a few more goes before i try for my handicap ;)

My reaction to the Extra Putting Challenge:

"THIS IS NOT MADE FOR WHITE PEOPLE"

...I'm going to spend like 2 hours just getting this completed aren't I

Timeaisis

Does someone mind giving me a quick rundown of how to unlock stuff in this game? Is it mostly Castle Club stuff or do I need to play the regular mode, too? Seems like regular mode is just the "classic" courses (18-hole) while Castle Club includes the special 9-hole courses. I realize I get coins for both.

Does someone mind giving me a quick rundown of how to unlock stuff in this game? Is it mostly Castle Club stuff or do I need to play the regular mode, too? Seems like regular mode is just the "classic" courses (18-hole) while Castle Club includes the special 9-hole courses. I realize I get coins for both.
You got them mixed up. But for like the courses? It's

Castle Club Courses (18 holes)
Forest Course: Unlocked right away
Seaside Course: Beat the Forest Course Championship in Castle Club
Mountain Course: Beat the Seaside Course Championship in Castle Club
Sky Island: Sell your soul Beat the one-on one-putt challenge in Castle Club mode

Mario Golf Courses (9 holes)
Peach Gardens: Unlocked right away
The rest: Get star coins in increments of 7 each

To get the 4 unlockable characters you just need a ton of star coins. 40 for Toad, 45 for Kamek, 50 for Paratroopa, and 55 for Birdo.

Chopper

Nope. All you'll miss out on is the gear from tournaments that might have expired by the time you get it.

Though there may be other tournaments in the future that offer the same gear, we don't know.
My OCD senses are tingling. I might pick it up now. :/

Salsa

zlCfzR4NRecR_u3kzI

oh

Smilax

Well that sucks. Went to Wal-Mart to pick up a copy, and they didn't even have one. I just bought e-shop cards and went digital. Gotta wait till it downloadsss.

You know what I thought was lame? When I went to download the game this morning (I fell asleep before 11 last night), I had to scroll past like 7 Kirby icons to get to this. Now, I'm not trying to downplay the importance of Kirby (OK, maybe I am), but I would have thought that this would be right in your face when you open up the shop.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finished my first practice round, ended up with a 9 handicap due to ended up just short on a couple putts.

Vysetron

Neo Member
-14 on third attempt, this time with Wario. I'll settle for that for now. And by for now I mean until, like, this evening.

Salsa

You know what I thought was lame? When I went to download the game this morning (I fell asleep before 11 last night), I had to scroll past like 7 Kirby icons to get to this. Now, I'm not trying to downplay the importance of Kirby (OK, maybe I am), but I would have thought that this would be right in your face when you open up the shop.

yeah I was talking about this yesterday, really weird.

Teggy

For those who haven't noticed, I am not adding FCs anymore. There will be a spreadsheet soon and then you can add your FCs there. The list in the OP will be replaced with the link to that spreadsheet when I do it, which will probably be within the hour.

It seems like if everyone just joins the community you can go there and see who is online for real-time MP.

Velcro Fly

Fucking best buy telling me they have the game and then I go to pick it up and they tell me they don't. Get out of here with that shit to get me in the store.

dLMN8R

Is there a faster way to add friends than adding codes one at a time, and hoping everyone else adds you in return?

Like, is there a way to quickly add people you participate in private tournaments with?

Also: How do tournaments work if I join them but don't play them right away or complete the course? Can I exit and restart my attempt? Or will it lock me out of the rest of the tournament?

If you exit a private tournament you entered with a code, it looks like it adds that tournament to the beginning of the list shown in the tournament UI - is that really the case?

So, like, can I join a tournament, exit, join another tournament, exit that one, then join a 3rd, so I can then go quickly play them all back-to-back-to-back?

Fucking best buy telling me they have the game and then I go to pick it up and they tell me they don't. Get out of here with that shit to get me in the store.

They had a real hard time finding the game at my Best Buy too. He was like the computer says we have 8 copies. Not on the shelf, not up front.. he had to go back and open some boxes and get a manager involved.

stupid Best Buy.

hahah

may I suggest feather touch?
you chose powerdrive

RoadDogg

Holy crap is Gold Mario annoying. His shots bounce all over the place because of the coins making it next to impossible to properly gauge distance and spin. Last time I use him (and first) unless I'm grinding for coins.

krae_man

They had a real hard time finding the game at my Best Buy too. He was like the computer says we have 8 copies. Not on the shelf, not up front.. he had to go back and open some boxes and get a manager involved.

stupid Best Buy.

hahah

may I suggest feather touch?
you chose powerdrive

EA needs to do a Simpsons game that is just filled with playable versions of every fake video games on The Simpsons. Bonestorm, My Dinner with Andre etc. There should also be an achievement for using a 3 wood while on the green in Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge.

XiaNaphryz

stupid Best Buy.

I went to my local Toys R Us to get mine right when they opened, their copies were still in the back in a box alongside the new Kirby.

NotLiquid

It's always good to go passed the arrow by an amount to account for any slopes. It's also a good idea to read the grid so you know where to angle your shots. It's hard to really tell someone how to do this but it's just something you've got to get a feel for.

Jasconius

Practice makes perfect? ;p

General stuff:

Don't overcompensate for minor slope - you usually only need to have the cursor just to the side of the hole unless you are >15ft away or there is a lot of slope. You can hit x twice to get a better feel for how the slope looks closer to the hole if you are far away.

Unless the hole is significantly below you, make sure to hit it a bit beyond the suggested cursor position. If the hole -is- significantly below you, remember that the slope is going to influence your putt more (especially at the end when the ball slows down) than if it was uphill.

If there is slope both directions on your put, count the number of lines going each way for a general indication of which way to aim. Of course if there is gentle slope one way and strong slope the other you will have to compensate for this.

If you're in the rain, hit the ball about 1.5x-1.75x the amount you normally would. Possibly even more if the putt is significantly uphill.

I try not to overthink the putt, also. Take a second or two to get a feel for the slope, take aim, putt. If it's a very long putt I might look at the reverse angle just to get a better feel. I dunno if this actually helps when you are first starting, though. I spent WAY too much time playing Toadstool Tour years ago. ;p

Marcel

Practice makes perfect? ;p

General stuff:

Don't overcompensate for minor slope - you usually only need to have the cursor just to the side of the hole unless you are >15ft away or there is a lot of slope. You can hit x twice to get a better feel for how the slope looks closer to the hole if you are far away.

Unless the hole is significantly below you, make sure to hit it a bit beyond the suggested cursor position. If the hole -is- significantly below you, remember that the slope is going to influence your putt more (especially at the end when the ball slows down) than if it was uphill.

If there is slope both directions on your put, count the number of lines going each way for a general indication of which way to aim. Of course if there is gentle slope one way and strong slope the other you will have to compensate for this.

If you're in the rain, hit the ball about 1.5x-1.75x the amount you normally would. Possibly even more if the putt is significantly uphill.

I try not to overthink the putt, also. Take a second or two to get a feel for the slope, take aim, putt. If it's a very long putt I might look at the reverse angle just to get a better feel. I dunno if this actually helps when you are first starting, though. I spent WAY too much time playing Toadstool Tour years ago. ;p

Thanks and thanks to everyone I may not have quoted. I'm applying the advice and seem to be getting birdies more consistently. Like many have said, nailing that 'feel' seems to be key.

XiaNaphryz

For the most part, it really comes down to experience. The more you putt from different slopes, angles, and distances the better a feel you get for this sort of thing. How much more power to put in a putt going uphill, how breaks early in a putt won't have as much of an effect as those later as the ball will be moving slower towards the end, etc.

On really difficult putts, you may need to just bite the bullet and go for a 2-putt. Meaning your first putt should be focused on putting you in position for a trivially easy second putt.

You'll just have to practice a bunch on the practice green, eventually you'll get some sense of intuition/feel for it all. I've played video game golf of some kind or another for 20+ years and real golf for over 7 years, the experience in terms of reading breaks and gauging power really does carry over from game series to game series somewhat believe it or not.

If you can also give specifics on what causes you issues we can give you more specific tips.

Fatbody

It's that HAL bias trickling down from Iwata.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Played the GAF tournament, and the two European tournaments. For the online tournaments, it would be good if they showed what the cut off point is. Eg I think they said the top 60% qualify for the major? So they could show what score that would be, then we'd know whether to push or if we've done enough.

The arc of the ball confuses me. It never seems to auto aim it towards the flag, but I don't know why. It's always off by a little bit

Not doing too badly, but the timing on the shots still feels off for me - you seem to need to click early, and the bar 'snaps' into perfect. And putts suddenly run out of steam, still need work on uphill strength

Any guidance on the single player? Should I do the shorter courses first? What unlocks things quickest?

SummitAve

Banned
Sometimes a half powered medium length putt is easier to make than a full powered short putt. The ball will break less as it approaches the hole due to the extra speed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How can I join the GAF community?

Top Bottom