• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Schryver

For your mii at least, i think the ball arc is always slightly off of the pointer because you had to choose whether or not your character would have a draw or a fade. Whether or not that's true for the other characters I don't know. I've already forgoten how the demo was

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For your mii at least, i think the ball arc is always slightly off of the pointer because you had to choose whether or not your character would have a draw or a fade. Whether or not that's true for the other characters I don't know. I've already forgoten how the demo was

The arc is always off of the pointer because the arc shows where the ball will first hit the ground. The pointer is where it should end up after roll. How off they are between each other depends on how strong a draw/fade the character has, if they just hit it straight the cursor should always be behind where the arc hits the ground (unless you're hitting from a sloped lie of course). If you add your own side spin to the ball, that won't be reflected in the pre-hit flight arc of course, and the pointer doesn't take into account elevation differences either I believe.

Schryver

The arc is always off of the pointer because the arc shows where the ball will first hit the ground. The pointer is where it should end up after roll. How off they are between each other depends on how strong a draw/fade the character has, if they just hit it straight the cursor should always be behind where the arc hits the ground (unless you're hitting from a sloped lie of course). If you add your own side spin to the ball, that won't be reflected in the pre-hit flight arc of course, and the pointer doesn't take into account elevation differences either I believe.

Yeah, I just meant the horizontal difference was because of the draw/fade. On a sloped course the trajectory is definitely way off from the pointer. Really important to pay attention when selecting your club on some shots.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just got my 1st chip in for eagle GAF!!!!

zlCfzR4Ody0iCy-wO5

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I just meant the horizontal difference was because of the draw/fade. On a sloped course the trajectory is definitely way off from the pointer. Really important to pay attention when selecting your club on some shots.

I think it's based on the lie of the ball. I just did the approach training and it seems to follow that.

DirtyLarry

Okay, I have been playing Golf games basically since one can play Golf games.
With that said, this is my first foray into Mario Golf itself.
So one simple question from my end...

The courses with the boxes (I am doing one of the Mario Open Coin Challenges right now), am I supposed to intentionally have a bad shot and try to hit the boxes instead of trying to make par?

If someone can just supply me with a breakdown of the items, etc., it would be greatly appreciated. I got all the other mechanics down.

TIA,
DL

bodine1231

I just started the game and I'm a little confused,can you only play as your Wii character in the campaign and not the Nintendo characters?

XiaNaphryz

I think it's based on the lie of the ball. I just did the approach training and it seems to follow that.

I just looked again and you're right, it's mainly the lie. I mainly play Bowser when not using my Mii char, and he has a pretty decent amount of fade. At the tee, his arc still ends up right behind the cursor. Which is a bit counter intuitive, since there should be a bit of side roll still upon landing. Ah well, it's Mario Golf after all.

Cody_D165

Banned
-8 for my first attempt at the GAF Earlybird Tourney. Could definitely be better, lot of simple putting mistakes. one whiffed shot on hole 14 got me a bogey. Got an Eagle on hole 16 though which was pretty rad.

zlCfzR4Oo4osW_YnVb

XiaNaphryz

-13 for my first entry in the GAF tourney. Hit one eagle and was close to 2 others. Birdies and pars for all the rest.

I love seeing the ghost data of everyone else's shots flying around. You can see who went for the really long balls on some shots. :)

zychi

Banned
any links how to unlock everything yet? obviously most is just finishing courses. but are there any stipulations, like get -3 under par for a course to get x?

e: how do i join the gaf tourney? who do i have to pm?

e2: lol didnt realize i typed gay tourney, not gaf lol

XiaNaphryz

On the main menu choose Quick Round, then choose tournaments at the bottom, then Private Tournament, and enter code. The code is in the Google doc at top of the OP.

How do you take screenshots like you all are getting? Sorry for the stupid question.

And already I can feel my life disappearing because of this game.

XiaNaphryz

How do you take screenshots like you all are getting? Sorry for the stupid question.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732016

How do I post a 3DS screenshot? Update your 3DS to the latest firmware, allowing registration of (or linking to) an NNID and access to Miiverse. During play press the Home button to pause the game. Access Miiverse, and post your image on the service. Using your PC, access Miiverse to find your post. Save your image, and upload it to abload, imgur, or whatever.

Cody_D165

Banned

You can post screenshots to Miiverse by pressing Home during the game, leaving it in standby and booting Miiverse on your 3DS. Prepare a Miiverse post in the Mario Golf community and then there's an option to attach a screenshot to your post.

Then open Miiverse in your web browser and retrieve the screen from there!

If you have a Wii U it's the same procedure as it is there.

Appleman

Entered the tourney and picked Gold Mario because I thought he looked cool. HUGE MISTAKE. Ball behaviour is incredibly hard to predict, it's been ridiculous

LayLa

got two hole-in-ones, but during practice rounds and not in tournaments when it counts d'oh
looking up where you are in the standings can be v addictive, pity its such a slow process
already playing with the sound off, the noises my Mii makes are even worse than Mario's constant "wa-hoo"s :(

So I only have 3 possible options in the store and ~1700 coins. Should I go ahead and buy a shirt and the Mario club or save my coins?

This game rules

Cody_D165

Banned
AW YEEEEAH SON. Hole #17 of the Forest course during my second attempt at the GAF tourney.
too bad the rest of the run sucked and I ended up with -11

zlCfzR4PPssYNclqTZ

Velcro Fly

Trying to buy physical on a Nintendo system day 1 is fucking torture. Everyone says they have this game either on their website or when I call and then I get there and nope. Same with Kirby. I haven't seen either of them today. I saw more God of War Vita games today and that doesn't come out until next week.

Kinsei

Banned
Just did my first run of the tourney and got -14. I missed a couple eagle shots so I'm thinking I can get it into the -20 range.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hate it when gyro cam is the only way to check your shot path like you want. A simple camera elevation adjuster would have done wonders.

Putting is weird. Even on a flat surface it seems just traction from grass makes your ball fall short of where the power suggestion will land it. Best to just ignore suggestions and become familiar with it through practice, though curves seem to affect things less than HSG, so I'll have to adjust.

Shooting is really weird. You use buttons, or tap buttons on screen, or tap the on-screen ball? But tapping the ball only seems to affect flight curve (which is also affected by hook/slice), not top/back spin on landing, and that can also be done with the stick, but despite being an analog stick it is always extreme, and managing all that in a very short instance immediately after trying to get the timing right on the bar, sometimes adjusting for a mistake you made on the bar.... I feel like they should have just made up their damn minds.

Despite this, I haven't gotten a single bogey yet, so then I wonder if it's all really so bad after all, or if it's just kind of annoyingly complex yet functional, or if the courses are just easy. I'm still not sure how I feel about items. It seems most of them go overboard, but maybe when I'm more familiar with how their uses actually play out, it'll be neat.

It's shocking how bad the 3D in this game is. Definitely the worst I've seen in any 3DS game. Not worth the resolution loss.

Just did my first run of the tourney and got -14. I missed a couple eagle shots so I'm thinking I can get it into the -20 range.
Play in Fixed Character Tournament 1 in the Mario Open. It's a 9-hole and the top 10 is dominated by Japanese guys -12 to -15. I can't be arsed to play competitively. It's not why I play golf.

daydream

Banned
I hate it when gyro cam is the only way to check your shot path like you want. A simple camera elevation adjuster would have done wonders.

Putting is weird. Even on a flat surface it seems just traction from grass makes your ball fall short of where the power suggestion will land it. Best to just ignore suggestions and become familiar with it through practice, though curves seem to affect things less than HSG, so I'll have to adjust.

The camera control is on the touch screen, isn't it? Unless you mean something else.

The indication on the power metre is absolutely correct if you take the flattest of surfaces into account. Try it on really short distances. That said, I have yet to encounter an exception to my "always overshoot the marker" rule (in that sense, the marker is totally useful to me).

I actually think it's a little more forgiving in that regard, where before (in the GC game, for example) the ball would roll over the hole. Maybe just my imagination, though.

BTMash

Got the game earlier this morning (yay estore) and really enjoying it so far. Only tried out the Castle Club and tried out a couple of the tourneys (got game boy attire so far) and am going to try out the quick round mode.

Looking forward to trying out the GAF tourney in the spreadsheet this weekend too :D

If anyone is interested in adding me my Friend Code - Nintendo id are:
3196 3976 3844 - btm

I've tried all day, about 50 times, to download the DLC after buying the season pass. I get an error code around 40% in. It's super frustrating. Never had this problem before and it seems like I'm the only one this is happening to.

Still loving this game, but this is honestly hurting my enjoyment. I just want to enjoy everything I paid for.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've tried all day, about 50 times, to download the DLC after buying the season pass. I get an error code around 40% in. It's super frustrating. Never had this problem before and it seems like I'm the only one this is happening to.

Still loving this game, but this is honestly hurting my enjoyment. I just want to enjoy everything I paid for.

You might wanna delete your data download before you try again. Could be corrupted. I'm just talking the DLC FYI!

Top Bottom