• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Kinsei

Banned
Oh, we were talking with handicap. I posted. -15 scratch in the GAF tourney. I know it's not winning I'm sure, but I thought someone posted a crazy -23 with no handicap.

He did. Check the leaderboard for the Gaf tourney, he's in first place.

I gotta try and improve tomorrow. I'm really close to cracking the top 3.

Since everyone else is doing it...
WrlW04S.jpg

Oh wait, it was supposed to me my Mii there. I can't do anything right!
Oh, we were talking with handicap. I posted. -15 scratch in the GAF tourney. I know it's not winning I'm sure, but I thought someone posted a crazy -23 with no handicap.
They did. :D Online tournies are scratch. So are community matches.

Velcro Fly

I got a $5 off any purchase coupon from Best Buy in my email so I think I'm going to use it (hopefully) tomorrow to buy this. I feel like I'm missing out on so much with these online tournaments.

I said a few months ago this was going to be the game that came out of nowhere to be really awesome and I guess I was right. I am a fucking dunce for fooling around and cancelling my Amazon preorder.

Josh5890

Did -14 in my first round on the Gaf tournament. Had a bad rut between 9-13 with a bunch of pars. I could easily hit -18 or -19.

Hopefully there is enough popularity and we could have a full blown league. This game is going to be in my 3DS slot for a long time.

He did. Check the leaderboard for the Gaf tourney, he's in first place.

I gotta try and improve tomorrow. I'm really close to cracking the top 3.

Since everyone else is doing it...
WrlW04S.jpg

Oh wait, it was supposed to me my Mii there. I can't do anything right!

They did. :D Online tournies are scratch. So are community matches.

Oh. Now I see how to check it. Disheartening. I need more power. If I had the round of my life, I could maybe get to 20 under as of now. 23 seems insane.

Drago

I said to myself I wasn't gonna buy this game now, yet here I am in the eShop one button press away from buying it.

Fuck it, I'm biting :(

Branson

This game is more frustrating than Dark Souls. I fuck up the last 5 holes in the Forest Tournament and I'm at like -2 from -5 and Fucking Donkey Kong just gets -7 out of no where and here I am on hole 15 getting ready to start this over for the 5th time. I'm about to break my 3DS in half.

505zoom

Go play Fixed Character Tournament 1 in the Mario Open. The top 10 is currently dominated by Japanese dudes but you clearly have the chops.

That one is tough. Best I can do is -11 after about ten tries. Not sure if I need to use the items differently or what. :/

Salsa

I think he means the lobby I created tho, which is: <- (quote)

it only works for VS play but it's easier to say "hey im up on the GAF lobby" than add friendcodes so still useful if anyone wants to play live instead of asynchronous

Add your FCs, guys.

I decided to start from scratch here for a few reasons:

1) I'm lazy. Might as well be honest.
2) Like all of the FCs I had on the list were from before the game launched and I don't feel like checking who actually got the game, though I know of a few who do have the game ATM. I don't like having FCs of people who don't actually have the game, see.
3) I would need to gather people's MG:WT names for the list to actually be useful, since I want it to also be used as, "Hey, I played against you in the community and I think your Mii is hot, want to add each other?" and stuff. So I might as well just have everybody add themselves.

Sorry for the inconvenience. And no, I'm not too worried about trolls ATM.

Salsa

feel free to just add the community FC to the OT. seems way easier to just post here saying "hey im gonna be there in 2 min whoever wants can join" or whatever

I did add it to the very top already :(

It's in a little tab now because it's much more of a reference thing IMO than a way of playing with people.

Velcro Fly

Is there any benefit to adding FCs or can you do multi through the community and/or tournaments? I'm not sure I'm up for the task of clearing out my friends list of all the Animal Crossing people I have added.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Game needs a way to preview the green, including the slope lines. Trying the one on, one putt challenge and the greens get nasty, but you can't really tell until you land on them.

Is there any benefit to adding FCs or can you do multi through the community and/or tournaments? I'm not sure I'm up for the task of clearing out my friends list of all the Animal Crossing people I have added.
The main benefit to adding someone's FC is being able to track their tournament progress. So, I would only add people who you genuinely are interested in tracking.

ooteeni

I Have the Aus version of the game and on the top screen it shows all the tournaments available eg European point play 1, but when i go to the tournaments menu online it is not there. Any ideas how to get to it?

Schlocky

I Have the Aus version of the game and on the top screen it shows all the tournaments available eg European point play 1, but when i go to the tournaments menu online it is not there. Any ideas how to get to it?
The euro/world tourneys are in the basement of the castle

Robin64

Made a different type of tournament for us, too. While EarlyBird is an 18-hole stroke contest, "NeoGAF Rush" is a 6-hole speed challenge in Peach Gardens. Should be a very quick one to play through! Details in the spreadsheet as always, but the code to dive right in is 69-2735-2753-2957

Dunbar

Made my first entry into the GAF tourney at a solid -8. Plenty of room for improvement once I get more practice putting. Game is a ton of fun and it seems like there is a ton to do. I might try a few more random tournaments now.

Velcro Fly

Not sure if I'm more excited for earning coins for challenges, playing in online tournaments, or collecting fucking outfits.

Animal Crossing has ruined me forever. I've been grinding coins in MK7 all this week waiting for Golf :(

Robin64

Man, how the hell are you guys so good already? I'm almost enberassed to even enter the tournament...

Don't worry about it, just have fun. :)

Many people have played through the entire series, plus the HSG games, and there's a lot of knowledge and skills you can bring across.

You'll get better the more you play, honestly, so don't be scared to enter any tournaments. Our first one has players of all skill levels represented.

Khaz

Made a different type of tournament for us, too. While EarlyBird is an 18-hole stroke contest, "NeoGAF Rush" is a 6-hole speed challenge in Peach Gardens. Should be a very quick one to play through! Details in the spreadsheet as always, but the code to dive right in is 69-2735-2753-2957

Cool one! I do feel it's a bit a button masher though, there is no real need to correct trajectories until putting. The distance you may gain with boosts pad is negated by the time you take to adjust your shot.

I honestly see myself playing this more than Mario Kart 8. So much content and a great online tournament system. 200+ damn holes if you buy the DLC. I-N-S-A-N-E.

Robin64

Cool one! I do feel it's a bit a button masher though, there is no real need to correct trajectories until putting. The distance you may gain with boosts pad is negated by the time you take to adjust your shot.

Yeah, it's an odd mode. I honestly wasn't expecting it to count time while lining up shots. I thought it might just count ball travel time, in which case you could bring some actual strategy to it.

Kouriozan

Great, going to enter after lunch :)

Omzz

had played the demo and will be picking this up soon

ive found that manual shots seem to work out better for me because of that added spin. i just wanted to ask whats the difference between putting the cursor at the top or the bottom?

Lucifon

First time playing Mario golf and I'm jumping in trying to understand how to play on manual - it seems to be any kind of competitive in tournaments you need to do manual shots. Only problem is I'm screwing up badly everytime I try it.

So, I need some tips / video guides. Just watched the video in the OP and it looks like you pretty much have to use a stylus...?

505zoom

You make me feel like I needn't bother playing this game.

Haha. Golf is fun no matter what other people are doing though.

First time playing Mario golf and I'm jumping in trying to understand how to play on manual - it seems to be any kind of competitive in tournaments you need to do manual shots. Only problem is I'm screwing up badly everytime I try it.

So, I need some tips / video guides. Just watched the video in the OP and it looks like you pretty much have to use a stylus...?

No. I don't use the touchscreen for anything other than adjusting the camera height. Just use the analog to set your trajectory during the swing (up for into the wind or keeping the ballflight down, down to get over obstacles or bring the ball in softer on the greens). On impact, hit AA for topspin / AB for super topspin, or BB for backspin / BA for super backspin.

Keep practicing and it will start to click. Just pay extra attention to the white line that shows the ball flight, then factor in uphill/downhill and the wind. Also make sure to watch your lie meter and factor in the +/- that it gives you for that.

So it seems if you use a download code to get the World Tour through the eShop then you don't get Mario Golf GBC even though the checkout process.

Pretty stinky policy, and they really should provide a separate check out for download codes if that's the case.

Robin64

So it seems if you use a download code to get the World Tour through the eShop then you don't get Mario Golf GBC even though the checkout process.

Pretty stinky policy, and they really should provide a separate check out for download codes if that's the case.

Have you checked your Club Nintendo page? Bonus codes often appear in banners there.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Am I supposed to have Mario Golf GBC as well or is that some Euro thing?

Though when I try to redeem a game prize on Club Nintendo I get this...

iVu3JhY8RWLBz.png

Top Bottom