• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Robin64

How does one enter the American Tournament the game itself is advertising?
I am nowhere near good enough at the game yet to consider playing the GAF tournament, but I do want to enter the one the game is advertising, so far I have only been able to find the Mario Cup tournament?

Downstairs in Castle Club is where the "big" tournaments take place. Left pipe for Regional, right pipe for Worldwide.

stolin

How does one enter the American Tournament the game itself is advertising?
I am nowhere near good enough at the game yet to consider playing the GAF tournament, but I do want to enter the one the game is advertising, so far I have only been able to find the Mario Cup tournament?

I am just not good yet at all with the trajectory and spin stuff. Are people using the stylus or just their fingers or just using the L Circle to aim? So far I cannot get comfortable with any of those options.

In the Club House, go into the basement, (regional) Americas Cup on the left in Blue and World Cup on the right in Red. Look a the board in front of the pipe.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
4. And finally, to combine a lot of questions I'm having into one, what are the consequences of changing the impact point of your swing? Will the ball travel less far because I'm not hitting it on it's center of mass? Will it get topspin/backspin once it lands on the grass? Does it affect anything else besides the shape of your trajectory?
Too early on the first press and it will have less power, land shorter, but keep in mind adjusting the landing point to something shorter before charging the swing only puts the blue target spot earlier, so if you max out it'll go full distance. On the second press, if you are too early, it goes left, too late and it goes right. Also seems to not go as far if you are off by a lot. I think it is best to use the four buttons on the screen to choose top/back spin because you can adjust for bad presses.

lt519

Just posted a -18 in first try on the Early Bird was -8 through 6 and then hit two pars and a tree trying to cut a corner on a par 5. Could probably do better but I had some ridiculous chip ins and a eagle on a par 4. Gonna play through the single player now need to unlock more stuff.

Edit: Where can I see the tourney leaderboard?

So this is the first "retail" game I bought from the eShop, since I knew I'll be playing it until my 3DS explodes.

Now that the cherry is popped and I'm seeing how wonderful that is, it's going to be hard to not consider this option for more games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Too early on the first press and it will have less power, land shorter, but keep in mind adjusting the landing point to something shorter before charging the swing only puts the blue target spot earlier, so if you max out it'll go full distance. On the second press, if you are too early, it goes left, too late and it goes right. Also seems to not go as far if you are off by a lot. I think it is best to use the four buttons on the screen to choose top/back spin because you can adjust for bad presses.

He means changing the impact of the position of the ball, since he referenced center mass. You can hit a high fade for example by holding down and left as you hit your shot.

Lettuce

I think he's talking about the impact point on the ball (i.e. holding left or right during the shot process). You're talking about the impact point on the meter. But the same thing applies - holding left will fade, right will draw. You can control the amount by how far you hold the stick in a particular direction.

Also, your terms are mixed up. A shot curving towards the left then back to the right is a fade, a shot curving towards the right and back to left if a draw. A hook is an extreme draw (goes way left), a slice is an extreme fade (goes way right).

Ah ok, im just used to hooking the ball in RL that why i used the term lol

NotLiquid

Balls, I couldn't get in on time.

Oh well, going to try to refine my Early Bird score in the meantime until the next time there's a game.

3. This doesnt actual effect the ball when it lands, only in flight, the top spin, super top spin, back spin, super back spin on the lower screen is what actually effects the ball when it lands

4. Hitting the ball 'early' will fade the ball (curve to the left) and hitting 'later' will hook the ball (curve to the right) and opposite if left handed player

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. For question 3, I ment choosing topspin/backspin with the A and B buttons. Does that also affect the ball's trajectory in the air or only it's path when it lands on the grass?

For question 4, I ment choosing the impact point of your swing with the circle pad. Will the ball travel less far because I'm not hitting it on it's center of mass? Will it get topspin/backspin once it lands on the grass? Does it affect anything else besides the shape of your trajectory?

XiaNaphryz

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. For question 3, I ment choosing topspin/backspin with the A and B buttons. Does that also affect the ball's trajectory in the air or only it's path when it lands on the grass?

For question 4, I ment choosing the impact point of your swing with the circle pad. Will the ball travel less far because I'm not hitting it on it's center of mass? Will it get topspin/backspin once it lands on the grass? Does it affect anything else besides the shape of your trajectory?

For question 3, I don't believe that affects in-air trajectory.

For question 4, adjusting impact point does impart spin. Side spin for fades and draws (assuming you use a character that hits straight normally. If you're using a character that naturally draws for example, hitting a fade will usually result in either a small fade or even a straighter shot, while hitting a draw will be a more exaggerated draw).

Holding up/down will result in a low/high shot. Lower shots won't be as affected by the wind and will roll a bit more (not as much as if you put top spin on it) and a higher shot will be affected a lot more by the wind and will roll a bit less (but not as much as if you put backspin on it). So you can hit a high shot if you want a softer landing, but not want to put backspin on a shot (i.e. the pin may be at the front of the green and backspin may result in you rolling off). Just be sure to account for the wind...I often like to hit high shots in certain situations and ride the wind to a particular landing point.

Kouriozan

Good game guys, it was awesome!

YWn8fnn.jpg

By the way I did 5/6 games and didn't get any country combo gear.

For question 3, I don't believe that affects in-air trajectory.

For question 4, adjusting impact point does impart spin. Side spin for fades and draws (assuming you use a character that hits straight normally. If you're using a character that naturally draws for example, hitting a fade will usually result in either a small fade or even a straighter shot, while hitting a draw will be a more exaggerated draw).

Holding up/down will result in a low/high shot. Lower shots won't be as affected by the wind and will roll a bit more (not as much as if you put top spin on it) and a higher shot will be affected a lot more by the wind and will roll a bit less (but not as much as if you put backspin on it). So you can hit a high shot if you want a softer landing, but not want to put backspin on a shot (i.e. the pin may be at the front of the green and backspin may result in you rolling off). Just be sure to account for the wind...I often like to hit high shots in certain situations and ride the wind to a particular landing point.

I see, thanks!

Tarps

That was my first vs game, now wearing my Country gear. gg Let's a go again!

Both mii's got wiped by the star characters. Guess we need more gear?

brerwolfe

Weird because I also come from Hotshots and felt right at home.
The putting isn't as sensitive as Hot Shots vita. I find myself over-compensating on break and misjudging speeds. I'm still scoring fairly well. Looking forward to being able to hit the ball further so I can reach the par 5's.

XiaNaphryz

The putting isn't as sensitive as Hot Shots vita. I find myself over-compensating on break and misjudging speeds. I'm still scoring fairly well. Looking forward to being able to hit the ball further so I can reach the par 5's.

The early courses can have some pretty flat greens. There are definitely some trickier greens with sharper breaks.

Jasconius

Im about to hop back on to the GAF community for some matches if anyone wants to play!!

Looks like we've got three now that you're in, c'mon and join if you want to play vs~

Edit: And we lost everybody lol... It's really too bad there isn't a chat thing I could've started if we didn't want to wait. ;p

Edit again: Will start in 2 mins with or without more people ;p

Salsa

tried another run at early bird tourney

was doing great, 1 eagle 1 hole in one on the first holes

kept going, got 3 pars

turn off 3DS, go vent

*repeat*

Urrg! I just can't get a handle on putting. It feels like I'm always over or underpowering my putts. It's odd because it was almost second nature to me in Hots Shots. Any tips?

Kouriozan

OMG..those race challenges...my heart...can't take it

zlCfzR40chw4oC2O0L

Yep, 00:00.05 sec left at the end 0_o
And I play super fast, as you can see in my online matches!

Anyway... costume get!

zlCfzR40eqcvF4S2rj

Toki1776

Yes, putting topspin or backspin will affect the in-air trajectory. Putting super topspin on the ball while hitting the bottom of it will mostly cancel out the loft you would normally gain.

As for the other question, it does to some degree. A ball that spends more time in the air is more affected by wind, and a lofted shot will hit the green softer. Conversely, hitting the top of the ball will keep the flight path lower, and the ball will roll more upon landing.

Edit:beaten, mostly :)

Jasconius

Good game guys! Sadly that's it for me for today... I'm sure I'll be around a bunch when I'm not working this week~

Damn Jasc well done. I OBed and couldn't recover...

Thanks! I was able to get almost all of those close shots exactly on... except one where I went OB too... but saved par after! The Jungle course is pretty fun with the barrels.

Top Bottom