• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Ellite25

I see people posting about being in lobbies, where are these lobbies?

Game is a lot of fun, but it is sure vague about how to do things. It's kind of annoying.

Edit: I think I figured it out by looking at the first post.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
First attempt at new tourney is -14. Missed a few close putts and had an almost HIO. Could've been a lot worse, had a few bad shots but was able to recover from the rough to hit par on a few holes. Probably should've had a -18 to -20 if I played clean.

daydream

Banned
Toadette's adorable, good choice for a character tournament. They really shower you with coins, though, if you got in on the DLC. Fine by me!

Now to try the new 18H tournament. Seaside Course has such relaxing music.

Vysetron

Neo Member
I'm seriously thinking of a Bowser themed tourney. His course, Bowser and minions only. The list would be something like Bowser, Kamek, Paratroopa, Bowser Jr. and Boo. Possibly high winds just to make it more crazy, but I'm not a huge fan of them so probably not.

Owensboro

Holy crap, them choosing to run the credits after you beat the 3rd Castle Course is just silly. I was seriously terrified that I had just found out why the game cost less than a normal 3DS game, and had beaten all the single player content. Thank god I was wrong, and thank you everyone in the thread who keeps linking to the post from daydreaming explaining everything!

I'm having way more fun than I thought I would based on the Demo. I took a crack at the GAF tourney and ended up with a -14 thanks to a lucky Eagle, and have been just playing random tournaments to get more gear. I'm not 100% sure how the heck you unlock new characters, but I'm pumped to find out.

I also joined the GAF lobby. Can't wait to play (and probably lose to) some of you bozos online!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I'm never going to unlock sky island. I keep fucking up on hole 7 or 8 every time.

Is there an easier way to unlock that?

So it turns out that while you can do 3-hole runs over and over to unlock everything in the boutique but drivers, you need to do longer rounds for those drivers. EDIT2: 18-hole rounds, maybe...

At 269y maximum drive before getting all the drivers BTW. Only really important for calculating what the top scores in the World Tournaments will be, though.
I'm never going to unlock sky island. I keep fucking up on hole 7 or 8 every time.

Is there an easier way to unlock that?
Nope. That's the only way.

Just go back to it later once you develop greater consistency.

EDIT: -9 in stroke =/= one-on/one-putt. Chip-ins aren't terribly difficult and Hole-in-ones aren't that rare on Sky Island.

Okay, so unlocking the rest of the drivers isn't as simple as just playing longer rounds. I'm going to try buying out the shop and see if that does it. Whelp, time to coin farm.
Really stupid question, but how do I purchase items?
When you first boot up the Castle Club mode, go to the left side of the room and enter that door. Then talk to the Toads.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
First attempt at new tourney is -14. Missed a few close putts and had an almost HIO. Could've been a lot worse, had a few bad shots but was able to recover from the rough to hit par on a few holes. Probably should've had a -18 to -20 if I played clean.

First attempt I hit a -15 including a hole in one and a couple eagles. I totally messed up on the last 4 holes and didn't get better than par on any of them. I totally whiffed on an Eagle chance on a Par 5 and then missed out on the Birdie after. >_<

Also I don't know who you are, but I keep seeing this jerk completely bypassing most of the <300m courses and landing on the green off the tee with his massive drives and I hate you. :p

Teggy

I don't know if playing star Daisy is worth all the annoying noises she makes :p

She's like Mario Golf's version of Navi XD

Nope. If you want everything in the game you have to complete it 6 times. Have fun!

You almost gave me a heart attack, then I read that you only have to do the 18-hole challenge once, and the rest are challenges in Mario Golf mode. *phew*

I can handle 9 holes at a time. That 18-hole challenge took me around 200 tries. On the plus side, I unlocked almost all the equipment when doing it lol.

EDIT: And I literally just did the first of the Mario Golf challenges within 2 tries. Simple.

EDIT2: And I just did the Score Attack one on my first try. These are nothing to me now lol.

M.W.

Okay, so unlocking the rest of the drivers isn't as simple as just playing longer rounds. I'm going to try buying out the shop and see if that does it. Whelp, time to coin farm.

When you first boot up the Castle Club mode, go to the left side of the room and enter that door. Then talk to the Toads.
Wow, I'm an idiot. Thanks.

oatmeal

Banned
I just wanted to say that this game has a great demo.

One of the best I've ever played.

That being said, does it have any RPG elements like the GBC one did?

505zoom

Mine's higher than the ceremony too. Probably the total coins earnt in the tournament overall, given you get some each time you have a round.

I thought that at first too, but I earned WAY more than 1140 coins from my completed rounds. I submitted at least 6, and each one by itself was around 1k. Not sure what's up with that.

Edit- I think -30 is do-able on the new tourney. Gonna have to step it up this time fellas. : )

Edit- I think -30 is do-able on the new tourney. Gonna have to step it up this time fellas. : )
Spoilers: The strongest characters can drive hole 1. And hole 3. And a bunch of other Par 4s that shouldn't be driveable. I used Paratroopa though so I couldn't do any of that. ;_; Will do a real run eventually.

Thorakai

I hate the mountain course. So much.

I was just about to post the same thing. Goddamn. Every time I get a good lead I overshoot and lose my standing. I just can't put properly without just barely missing the hole. Been a while since a game tested my temper. I'll try again with a level head tomorrow.

Velcro Fly

There are a couple of par 4s that my Mii struggles to get to with a realistic birdie chance. I'm super aggressive all the time and I just need to learn to take par in some situations.

I have no idea how to do the 9th hole. I bet if I could drive another 30 yards it wouldn't be hard, but with the wrong wind it's a bogey unless I'm sinking a 40 foot putt

I have 12 birdie badges after two practice rounds. 9 and 14 slay me every time though. Those are the two I need either a really lucky win or to just take my par and move on.

Just unlocked a new ball that adds 6 more yards to my drive to bring it up to 240 while also bumping control up. Another practice round here I come.

505zoom

Spoilers: The strongest characters can drive hole 1. And hole 3. And a bunch of other Par 4s that shouldn't be driveable. I used Paratroopa though so I couldn't do any of that. ;_; Will do a real run eventually.

Yep there are several there on the front that are drivable. After a third and fourth playthrough though, -30 might be a stretch. I just fired a -15 on the front, but that was with an Ace on 2 and an Alby on 5. Lipped eagle on 3 so it could have been -16. :/

zlCfzR49fE85mt6540

Crappy first half on the back nine, but a pinshot on 17 (would have been my first ever double Alby round), and a chip in from behind the green on 18 kept it respectable.

I'm guessing -26/-27ish takes it again.

Velcro Fly

Just shot a -11 on the mountain course with a triple bogey going Tin Cup on 14 and trying to drive to the second island. Feeling like I could win a championship now for sure!

Ill be getting this game on May 9th, looking at that schedule posted above though, it seems some tournaments are going to be ending at the 8th. They also seem to give items to participants. Am I going to not be able to get those items anywhere else now because I missed those tournaments? Or can they be unlocked somewhere else in the game?

Salsa

well first run on the gaf beach tourney sucked. started with an eagle on the first hole and ended with a bogey on the last one D:

Velcro Fly

800 coins for a Goomba costume in 9 holes? I got almost 600 doing this as a tournament before with Mario. But this honestly seems like something that I'd have to grind to get...

I got 754. It's definitely doable.

So I just beat the beginner, intermediate, and advanced practice challenges for Shot Practice. I thought I remembered a post saying that I unlocked a Mario costume from completing advanced but I got nothing. Though upon completing advanced a new very difficult mode called "Extra" was unlocked. Do I unlock a costume for beating that or am I wasting my time?

EDIT: Just defeated Extra and nothing. Shucks.

Jasconius

800 coins for a Goomba costume in 9 holes? I got almost 600 doing this as a tournament before with Mario. But this honestly seems like something that I'd have to grind to get...

I thought this was impossible the first time I tried it but the second time I got it, lol. The thing that helped me was to get the bomb and use it on the short par 3 with the column of coins.

EDIT: Just defeated Extra and nothing. Shucks.

It does unlock Endless mode, though! (lol)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just did a quick round, was as high as -6 but dropped to -3. I'll give it some more tries later on. Are Miis a legit pick for GAF tourneys or should we use stock characters?

I'm pretty sure the top scorers have to be using star versions of the stock characters to get such regular eagles on the par 5s, so no problem using any characters. I'm not sure whether to use star daisy and work around her draw/fade, or risk star mario and his smaller sweet spot.

Velcro Fly

Star Daisy is an absolute menace in this game. Using her to get some more star characters since it's quicker. Almost being on the green on a drive on some par 4s is ridiculous.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's plenty doable, just look around on the map carefully. The statues are useful too - one has two '30' coins and others have lots around them. No penalties for OB or water etc, so just treat it like a puzzle

How do you unlock everything? When I was losing on the one-on, one-putt challenge, it gave me a new ball every time. So do you sometimes have to lose? I'm still quite short of decent clubs

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Star Daisy is an absolute menace in this game. Using her to get some more star characters since it's quicker. Almost being on the green on a drive on some par 4s is ridiculous.

I went straight for the character challenges but I guess the better ones are locked behind tons of star coins.. Is there anyone noticably better than star daisy or star mario?

daydream

Banned
Glad the FAQ has been useful to some people. :)

I added a few more questions regarding official tournaments (aka the way to Entry Floor), the shop, Streetpass, the glossary, and some minor stuff. Also added the link to Nintendo's tournament schedule.

Velcro Fly

The AI seems to take a huge hit when you go from Castle Club courses to the Mario Golf courses. Peach was terrible and Yoshi is even worse.

The greens aren't really any harder but I've seen them both blow multiple putts inside 10 feet.

Top Bottom